Menu

Please tell me it is okay for my 1st grader...

I let my kids do their schoolwork in whatever environment they choose as long as it gets done responsibly. The moment I sense goofing around, dilly-dallying, etc. it's back at the table in a chair.

:iagree: My son chooses some odd spots as well, but he gets the work done well, so I've learned to adjust my "expectations". :)

I believe most children instinctively know what will facilitate their learning. They WANT to learn (when they aren't wanting to misbehave), so they create for themselves what is needed. It's hard to let go of our ideas about what learning looks like. My younger son wears headphones with music and occasionally talks out loud, my older son taps rythmically and hums - somehow it all helps them get the info in the head. I just have to stay flexible, which is hard for me.

I don't have a problem with unconventional study areas. Like the pp, they just have to come to me for help when they need it. My oldest dd realized that a table was a must when using a compass, despite my advice to sit at the table from the beginning :P That is pretty much the only time she sits at the table for Math. What's odd is that she always sits at the table when doing writing assignments.

Sounds good to me.

I had one that learned phonics while dancing around the kitchen table. Nonstop. Made me dizzy, but she learned. Now she will sit, upside down sometimes, but sitting. The only problem is that she sings what she is doing REALLY LOUD. I just KNOW the ps would have recommended medication for this one.

...to do his math under the dining room table! That just seems to be his "spot." So, far I am okay with it, because he is getting his math done. Does he need to sit at a table?:001_smile:

Thank you for the :001_smile:. I hadn't thought of this in some time--but one of my kiddos did this for years. Another favorite spot was in a corner between the couch and wall. I wouldn't worry about it a bit! I just provided a clipboard and called it a day.