Menu

How much does it really cost for a family to visit Disney World?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have gone in January and love it then. I don't mind winter coats if necessary though.

One time in Jan. we did need winter coats and thankfully had gloves with us.

The next year we got away with hoodies and knit gloves.

Dawn

Has anyone been to WDW in February? That's when we are planning to go. My husband will have the opportunity to take lots of leave at that time. I'm worried about the weather, but dh says it will be around 70 degrees.

I don't mind needing sweaters and long pants, but I DO NOT want to deal with coats and nippy winds!!

Oh man, we LOVE Disney! This will be the first year in the last 8 that we haven't done Disney World, Disneyland Paris or a Disney Cruise. Sadness.

If you can, try to book when they do the free dining program. This will save you a TON of money and you get to eat really good food (and lots of it). They do this every year and it will save you a ton. Free meals for everyone staying on property. The current dates for the first quarter of 2012 are:

• January 8-14
  • January 22-February 4
  • February 12-18
  • March 4-10
  • March 25-31

They usually have the free dining in the later part of the year as well, but those won't be announced until later. You do have to stay on property, but IMO, that's the only way to do Disney. :)

We went to WDW in 2008 for 10 nights/11 days (which was about 4 days too long-we were tired of being so happy) and stayed on property. We did not have the free dining plan, so we had to pay for it. There were only 3 of us, but for 10 nights/11 days, park passes and all our meals, it cost $1900. We flew on Southwest for $300 round trip (for all 3 of us), so the total trip cost $2200. It was a LONG vacation. We stayed at one of the value resorts (All Star Movies).

When we went in 2009 for 7 nights/6 days with my mom, step-dad and my cousin's daughter (a friend for Indy to play with) and stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort (where dh and I also spent our honeymoon). This is a moderate resort and our favorite. We upgraded to the pirate themed rooms (slightly more expensive). For 2 connecting rooms (which is what you'd have to do with 7), park passes and the meal plan (again we had to pay for it) for 4 adults and 2 kids (ages 7 and 8) it came to $2900. My mom and step dad drove with the kids from AL, but dh and I flew in from DC (where he had been for a military school).

I just went on the Disney site and priced 3 nights/4 days for a family of 7 and at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. It would cost $3300 (this is without the water parks and park hopper options, which are not necessary), with meals. At the All Star Movies resort (in a family suite) it would cost $2800.

Honestly, the Fort Wilderness Cabins is a better deal because you get a higher end meal deal that includesa table service meal in your dining package with a quick service meal instead of just 2 quick service. The table service meals are awesome and you get so much food! You get one appetizer, one entree, one dessert and non-alcoholic drink per person. The portions are NOT small.

Free dining isn't exactly "free." It is not always your best bet.

IF you plan to stay on site and IF you plan to eat all Disney meals anyway, then it may be a savings....but it still may not.

This article says it better than I could:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/02/18/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-dining-plan/

It used to be a better deal. However, the new rules state that you must purchase 2 full park days at retail price to receive the deal. If you are doing homeschool passes, these 2 days more per person will be an added cost.

Also, gratuity is not included. I am not sure what is now included (counter service vs. sit down....so that would need to be researched as well.)

You need to also be aware that you cannot get any room discounts, I keep reading that buying the dining plan and getting rooms discounted comes out about the same.

Dawn

If you are pricing out a full deluxe package with Disney hotels, full price passes, dining, etc...then yes, you could easily spend that much.

Most of us are looking at budget vacationing with off-site condos and eating some of our own food and buying homeschool passes.

For us:

Passes: $1000

Condo: $200

Gas: $300

Food: $200 at most, although I often don't count the amount we would normally spend on groceries as it comes out of our grocery budget instead of our vacation budget, but I budget an additional $200

Parking: $100 (although there are ways around this: some condo resorts offer transportation, or you can park at DTD and take a bus to a resort and then transfer to a bus to the parks....it is more effort than it is worth to us, but it is doable if you had to.)

Okay, I haven't read all the replies yet but obviously I'm doing something wrong because every time I have priced Disney I end up with a price of $6-7000!!! I just can't fathom spending that much for a week vacation so we have never done it.

If you are pricing out a full deluxe package with Disney hotels, full price passes, dining, etc...then yes, you could easily spend that much.

Most of us are looking at budget vacationing with off-site condos and eating some of our own food and buying homeschool passes.

For us:

Passes: $1000

Condo: $200

Gas: $300

Food: $200 at most, although I often don't count the amount we would normally spend on groceries as it comes out of our grocery budget instead of our vacation budget, but I budget an additional $200

Parking: $100 (although there are ways around this: some condo resorts offer transportation, or you can park at DTD and take a bus to a resort and then transfer to a bus to the parks....it is more effort than it is worth to us, but it is doable if you had to.)

Nope, not even looking at the deluxe resorts. Although I wasn't aware that you could get homeschool passes so I guess that would help with price. Part of the problem is we are a family of 6 so that limits our on-site choices.

You can't stay in the cabins at Ft. Wilderness or a value resort family suite with a family of 7. Max occupancy is 6. If you are looking for a vacation on a budget with a family of more than 6, camping at Ft. Wilderness might be a good option. We found that offsite was our most budget-friendly option for our family of 7, not to mention the huge increase in space it is giving us. Next time we go, we are going to try the campgrounds. We've heard great reviews from families who have gone that route.

Edited by mandymom

Well, I guess I meant by deluxe that it would include food, dining plan, whatever.

But yeah, even if you get 2 Values, it adds up.

Dawn

Nope, not even looking at the deluxe resorts. Although I wasn't aware that you could get homeschool passes so I guess that would help with price. Part of the problem is we are a family of 6 so that limits our on-site choices.

Just so you know, Disney officially offers 2 homeschool weeks per year, however, there is a 3rd one that is usually offered through Carolina Homeschool Group based in Lancaster, SC. You don't have to live in SC to go on their trips.

This year they are going the 2nd week of November, which works for us, so we are joining them.

Dawn

Thanks for the info!

Well, we are a family of 5 and do it on the cheap. However, we do not stay on-site. Since we drive down, it isn't a huge deal for us. We have stayed on site before and just didn't feel it was worth the cost.

We use SkyAuction.com condos for between $149-$249 during blowout weeks for a 2 bedroom condo that sleeps 6. It takes research, but we are used to it now.

We also usually get homeschool tickets. Homeschool tickets are about half the price of regular passes. They also allow us into the watermarks and Disney Quest, which we normally wouldn't add in.

We also don't eat all of our meals in the parks. That is huge because Disney food costs a small fortune. We have a backpack cooler and take in our lunches most days. We do buy some food while there, but we find the places where you can get more bang for your buck.

So, in answer to your question, we budget $1,500 for a trip, which includes condo rental, park passes for a week, dog sitting, gas and food.

Dawn

I am curious how much you pay for tickets if the entire trip cost around $1,500. The lowest cost of the condo you mentioned would be approximately $1,000 before taxes and such. I would love to do Disney for this price!! :)

No, it is $149-$249 per WEEK!

Homeschool passes are $156 per person for 5 day hoppers and 5 vouchers for water parks and Disney Quest. We have 5 people in our family so that equals $780.

Gas to get to Florida and back runs about $300.

We use SkyAuction.com condos and pay between $149-$249 for the entire week, including taxes. They are usually older units, but they are 2 bedrooms with a full kitchen.

We eat most of our own food and I try very hard not to spend too much more than our normal grocery budget for the week, but do budget an additional $200 or so for food. Honestly, we don't even like eating out all that much, so taking in our own lunch and eating dinner in the condo isn't a huge deal for us.

We also have a Disney Visa and use our Disney rewards dollars for any food in the parks.

Dawn

I am curious how much you pay for tickets if the entire trip cost around $1,500. The lowest cost of the condo you mentioned would be approximately $1,000 before taxes and such. I would love to do Disney for this price!! :)

Oh my!! I think this will be the best part of the trip for my kids!! My girls will be in heaven! I wonder if it's like this at all the resorts?

Exactly how into it your chef is will vary from restaurant to restaurant. However, they are usually really good about special diets.

We live locally and are vegan. My husband always calls ahead if we're planning to eat anywhere nicer than counter service. And the chefs are always wonderful about it.

We just spent three days on property as our end-of-summer getaway. We ate breakfast each day at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian, where the chef offered us vegan versions of their Mickey waffles or the Tonga Toast, along with dairy-free breads, fresh fruit, margarine and jellies without dairy or sugar. They also had chocolate soy milk for our kids.

We ate dinner one night at 1900 Park Fare (in the Grand Floridian), where the food was absolutely awesome. They had a fabulous chickpea salad thing and vegan sushi and more. The dessert was lovely, a combination of bananas and vegan ice cream all staked up . . . I could go on.

We also did the luau dinner show at the Poly one night, where the food was also really good.

Each time, the chef will want to come to the table and speak to you about your specific needs. But, yes, they will be extremely accomodating and helpful. And the food we've had has been universally great.

And, no, you don't pay extra for it, either.

They days you are seeing is the official days....in other words, those are the days when the homeschool classes are offered.....but the tickets are good for the number of days you purchase them for.

I have read recently that you MUST attend a class if you sign up for one. They have had problems with people signing up and taking spots from others who wish to attend and then not showing up.

I am finding only HS days and not weeks when I search, must be doing something wrong....

Haven't read the other posts but here goes. Housing - staying off property is probably cheapest. IMO, even if you stay on Disney property, going back and forth from DW to the resort/hotel is not worth the trouble. Better to find a bench and take a nap (if it's cool).

It probably depends on which resort. Some are easier and quicker to travel to and from than others.

The ones on the monorail line (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) are the most expensive, but also the most accessible. You can get to and from the resorts quickly (maybe 15 minutes?) if you stay there.

The next most accesible are the ones with boat transportation available, which I know include The Boardwalk and maybe Yacht & Beach?

It may also depend on which park you plan to spend the most time exploring. For example, you can walk to Epcot from a couple of the resorts, I think.

If you're staying at the "value" resorts, though, it's true that it can be a hike to get to and from the parks. With young kids or those who might need a break, it's still worth it, I think, to stay on property. We always found the best thing for us was to start into the park early while it's cooler, stay until early or mid-afternoon and then head back to the hotel to either rest or swim. Then, once everyone was refreshed and the weather had cooled off again, we could head back to the park for the evening.

Staying off property makes this less possible, since you'll either have to move your car or depend on the shuttle service of whichever off-property hotel you choose.

For us, it has always been worth it to stay on property.

No, they are offered twice per year from Disney.

Usually late Sept/early Oct and then again in January.

However, there is another group, called Carolina Homeschoolers, who offer it one more time, this year it is November.

You can see the Disney ones at:

http://www.disneyyouth.com/home-school-days/

Not sure if this was already asked. Can you get homeschooler park deal anytime of the year?

Thanks!

You can also do Youth Education Series Individual Enrollment classes and get the same ticket offers. They are held all through the year, but I think they offer the classes to groups first before they open them to individual enrollees. I found classes available at some of the other dates besides Homeschool Days that we were considering that were open to individual enrollment though.

We've gone the past 2 years and have never spent more than $2500. That includes gas for our 18 hour drive, food on the road, and an overnight stay on the way there and on the way back. We stay in a condo at Windsor Hills and this year we utilized Homeschool Days for 5 day tickets in January.

One thing that would make me wary about Free Dining is the children's menu choices. My kids (well, one kid is now considered an "adult" per Disney rates :001_huh:) would hate it! It seemed like every restaurant's children's menu consisted of mac-n-cheese, chicken fingers, pizza, and PB&J :tongue_smilie:.

We eat breakfast at the condo, pack a lunch, or just snacks, and eat one meal at the parks.

Disney is my happy place. We're not going back next year, but I'm sure we'll be back in 2013 :D. It's not the most bargain friendly family vacation, but it can be done on the cheap, and it's worth it in my opinion!

When I have looked at these they haven't been the same price, they have been more.

Am I missing something?

Dawn

You can also do Youth Education Series Individual Enrollment classes and get the same ticket offers. They are held all through the year, but I think they offer the classes to groups first before they open them to individual enrollees. I found classes available at some of the other dates besides Homeschool Days that we were considering that were open to individual enrollment though.

Has anyone been to WDW in February? That's when we are planning to go. My husband will have the opportunity to take lots of leave at that time. I'm worried about the weather, but dh says it will be around 70 degrees.

I don't mind needing sweaters and long pants, but I DO NOT want to deal with coats and nippy winds!!

We went in mid January a few years ago. Weather was great. I wore shorts the whole time. We did not go to the water parks--only one was open and we didn't go on log flume type rides. I recall one in the Magic Kingdom and immediately thinking it was warm enough for shorts, but not warm enough to be wet the rest of the day. We did swim in the pool at the resort--it was heated.

When I have looked at these they haven't been the same price, they have been more.

Am I missing something?

Dawn

You are right....it is a tiny bit more. I just checked and 6 day non-hopper passes are $154 with HS Days and $162 with YES Individual Enrollment. I didn't even notice the difference when I was looking when planning our trip. Still would be a great deal on tickets if you couldn't travel the dates of HS Days.

Does this include the water parks and Disney Quest or is that only 5 days in the parks with non-hoppers?

Dawn

You are right....it is a tiny bit more. I just checked and 6 day non-hopper passes are $154 with HS Days and $162 with YES Individual Enrollment. I didn't even notice the difference when I was looking when planning our trip. Still would be a great deal on tickets if you couldn't travel the dates of HS Days.

We've only done Disney once, last October. At that time our kids were ages infant, 3, and 6. We took Amtrak's auto train down - same price as plane tickets for us, plus we ended up with our own minivan (stuffed full, let me tell ya) and no rental car. We stayed off-site at a condo with kitchen, laundry, etc. (We timed it every day, and from our front door to the gates of the park was never more than 30 minutes. That included parking/shuttles/etc.) Ate breakfast at the condo, took lunch, snacks, and drinks in a cooler, bought dinner at the park a few times. Went to the park all 7 days, bought a hopper pass but only "hopped" once, so I won't do that again. No water parks for us that trip.

Our total for condo, auto train, tickets, and food/gas/parking/souvenirs/etc. was about $2600 for an 8 day trip.

Does this include the water parks and Disney Quest or is that only 5 days in the parks with non-hoppers?

Dawn

It's the lowest level tickets for both HS Days as well as YES. You have to get the premium package to get the waterparks included. There are three package levels, non-park hopper (starter), hopper pass, and then the premium for everything. The premium is a great deal, but we just wanted the parks for the time we are there this trip.

It probably depends on which resort. Some are easier and quicker to travel to and from than others.

The ones on the monorail line (Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) are the most expensive, but also the most accessible. You can get to and from the resorts quickly (maybe 15 minutes?) if you stay there.

The next most accesible are the ones with boat transportation available, which I know include The Boardwalk and maybe Yacht & Beach?

It may also depend on which park you plan to spend the most time exploring. For example, you can walk to Epcot from a couple of the resorts, I think.

If you're staying at the "value" resorts, though, it's true that it can be a hike to get to and from the parks. With young kids or those who might need a break, it's still worth it, I think, to stay on property. We always found the best thing for us was to start into the park early while it's cooler, stay until early or mid-afternoon and then head back to the hotel to either rest or swim. Then, once everyone was refreshed and the weather had cooled off again, we could head back to the park for the evening.

Staying off property makes this less possible, since you'll either have to move your car or depend on the shuttle service of whichever off-property hotel you choose.

For us, it has always been worth it to stay on property.

Depends on where offsite you stay. It literally takes us <10 min to drive to AK from Windsor Hills complex. And <15 for HS and Epcot. MK is about 15, but the longest due to the extra transportation once you get there. We always took a 3-4 hour break in the middle of the day and it was easy peasy. I've heard many people who stay close by say you can drive quicker than taking the transportation (with the exception of monorail resorts/some Epcot resorts, which the poster noted). Definitely check how far you are from the parks before you book if you want to take breaks.

I just cannot *believe* the low rates some of you are scoring! I planned well and had the Unofficial Guide; had Undercover Tourist and Mousesavers, but I still spent several thousand both times we've been. I want to say our park tickets alone were $1200; I could be remembering it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was that much or close. We stayed at Windsor Hills, which I *loved*, but it was still a couple grand. We drove straight down, which was fine, but we still had gas and parking fees. We ate few meals out, but the food still cost *something*.

Dawn, to get the SkyAuction room, was this short-notice planning or something? Were you still able to see what your room would be like, or at least know the amenities? Those rates are absolutely unimaginable to me!

ETA: Oh, I see there is some more info on an earlier page.

Edited by Quill

I'm late to this thread, but it's one of my favorite topics!!! We've done cheap trips and not-so-cheap trips.

When we stay on property, we go during free dining. We also travel with my sister. So, our family of six looks like 5 because we put a child officially in with my sister. We stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Last year, we did a split stay - 7 days off-site at Windsor Hills ($468/week - 3 BR condo), tickets, parking, etc. 4 days at POR with free dining. many of us also ran the marathon/half marathon/both. We spent around $3500. (That includes gas to get down there, parking fees, marathon, half marathon fees, etc, etc, etc)

We've also stayed on property the entire trip. For those, we end up paying around $5000. But, we stay for 10 days or so.

We've also done the Disney cruises. (We leave on one 9/12!!!!) Those end up costing around $5000 for our family of 6 for a 7 day. I think we did one for around $4200 once.

Expensive, but we love it. Something for everyone!!!!

ETA: We usually go in January. One year, it was in the 20s and 30s. Seriously. I ran my race in freezing rain!!! It was horrible. But, the parks were still fun. Last year, race day was in the 70s! We wore shorts all week. But, at night, we needed pants and knit gloves and a sweatshirt!!! I love that weather though.

If you need any more info please PM me. We have been using SkyAuction for 6 years with some locations being better than others. I ALWAYS check TripAdvisor first and when you go to book on Resortcerts.com with your certificate number, they rank the resorts for you.

It is a little work, but the rates are so good it is well worth figuring out.

Dawn

I just cannot *believe* the low rates some of you are scoring! I planned well and had the Unofficial Guide; had Undercover Tourist and Mousesavers, but I still spent several thousand both times we've been. I want to say our park tickets alone were $1200; I could be remembering it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was that much or close. We stayed at Windsor Hills, which I *loved*, but it was still a couple grand. We drove straight down, which was fine, but we still had gas and parking fees. We ate few meals out, but the food still cost *something*.

Dawn, to get the SkyAuction room, was this short-notice planning or something? Were you still able to see what your room would be like, or at least know the amenities? Those rates are absolutely unimaginable to me!

ETA: Oh, I see there is some more info on an earlier page.

Windsor Hills condos. Windsor Palms condos. 5 mintues to the gate, and I've never rented a condo that wasn't comfy, didn't have laundry, a nice kitchen, or two baths. Even if you eat dinner in the parks, staying in a condo lets you have a good breakfast, freeze some water bottles, and boil up some eggs etc to keep you out of long food lines mid- day. The pools are great. The most i've ever paid per night is $139 for a 3 bed, two bath, and that was during the Christmas high season. If you have grandparents or close friends who want to go and help share the cost, you're golden. :)

There ya go! Can't beat it. So peaceful, so comfortable, playgroud etc. It's my fav place and we have a fav renter. I can't tell you how great it is to make your own good coffee or have acess to a blender for Margaritas. ;) Windsor Palms is just as nice-- same exact (boring? lol) condo layouts, but with a salt water pool if you don't do chlorine.

I don't even go to the parks, for the most part. Let me sit by the pool, read books, and relax in the sun! That's all I want: Sunshine. I've been known to drop dh and the kids off at the parks and go back. ;)

Park tickets are our greatest expense. No getting around that for us except with multi day tickets from AAA or MouseSavers.

I'm late to this thread, but it's one of my favorite topics!!! We've done cheap trips and not-so-cheap trips.

When we stay on property, we go during free dining. We also travel with my sister. So, our family of six looks like 5 because we put a child officially in with my sister. We stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Last year, we did a split stay - 7 days off-site at Windsor Hills ($468/week - 3 BR condo), tickets, parking, etc. 4 days at POR with free dining. many of us also ran the marathon/half marathon/both. We spent around $3500. (That includes gas to get down there, parking fees, marathon, half marathon fees, etc, etc, etc)

Edited by LibraryLover

Disney last-minute or not fully researched = EXPENSIVE

Disney fully planned for budget purposes can be very reasonable.

We have been twice. The first time (family of 3) we stayed at Value, dining plan, parkhoppers, extra food, souvenirs, and PLANE TICKETS totalled $3000.00 for 7 night/8days. We did not cut any corners either, we ate what we wanted, did Bippity Boutique and tons of other fun stuff.

Second trip, we stayed at the Poly and I didn't plan nearly as carefully, ended up about $6500 for 6 days/ 7 nights. Big difference! :tongue_smilie:

Sign up on the Disney official vacation site to get emails when they run free dining and other packages.

Winter weather in Florida is very unpredictable. The average high temps in Feb. are in the low 70's. That sounds great, but do keep in mind that it doesn't mean it will be in the 70's all day. The average low is 50, which means it is quite often in the 40's during the early morning and evening hours. Probably doesn't sound bad for those coming from snowstorms and sub zero weather, but sitting on a cold sidewalk waiting an hour for the night parade to start when it's 40 degrees and dropping feels pretty darn cold.

If you come in the winter, just be prepared for anything. You may have days when shorts and tees are comfortable, but you may also have days that don't get to 50. Packing sweatshirts, jackets, and long pants and never taking them out of the suitcase is much better than wishing you had when you have to shell out $60 for a Mickey sweatshirt just to keep warm! Layering is key--you may be sweating by the afternoon in the sweatshirt and long pants that kept you warm in the morning, but by dark you will need them again.

February is actually a great time to go. Crowds are low, it's certainly not hot, and the weather can be lovely. Come prepared and you'll have a fabulous time!

I have written up a word document on navigating SkyAuction.com if anyone is interested. It can be tricky when you get started. Our condos have been $21.28 per night to $35.57 per night, including all taxes and fees, for a 2 bedroom.

If you have 7 and one is under 2 and you don't mind bringing a portable sleeping crib, you are fine. If you have older kids, there are often 2 bedroom condos that sleep 8 and occasionally there are 3 bedroom condos that sleep 8 for no additional costs.

If you PM me your email I will send it to you.

I plan to do another write up on Disney itself using our Uber Frugal methods, but I won't get to that until next week.

I am very aware that many do not like to do Disney as cheap as we do. We enjoy it all so much better when we know we are spending as little as we feel comfortable spending (we won't stay in a rat hole or somewhere unsafe, but we haven't had that problem.)

Dawn

:iagree:

We're going in November and renting a condo, for the 2nd time, from Florida Sun Vacation Homes, staying at Windsor Hills. We are paying $79 a night for a newly re-furnished, 3 BR/2 B Condo on the first floor. PLUS, we are splitting it 3 ways with my mom and aunt who are coming. So I'm only paying $450 for our 2 week stay. I will NEVER stay on-site again. So much more comfortable in a condo and so much cheaper.

Food can be really expensive. We do a character breakfast every other day, and make breakfast in the condo every other day. We eat lunch at the condo most days. We buy snacks freely, let the kids get ice cream and such several times throughout the day. Dinner, we almost always eat in the parks, more sit down places than quick service. For two weeks, and a family of 3, we spend more than $2000 just on food. :blush: You can do it for way less, but that's what it would cost to splurge... I can't imagine how much it would cost for a family of 7. So just be careful b/c it is VERY easy to spend TONS on food without realizing it.

RE: Food! We went one year and stayed off site. We ended up going out to eat quite a bit. It added up to way more than $2000! But, we're a family of 6. Yes. It can definitely add up easily and quickly.

When we stay off site and do it on the cheap, we usually eat bfast in the condo, but it's a HUGE breakfast. I'll cook chicken in the crock pot overnight and do a couple simple sides and we'll eat that. Then, I"ll pack a quick lunch for the parks. Often we'll get by on that until we get back to the condo and do a dinner of cold cereal and eggs or something equally as simple. Very easy.

If anyone wants the name of the guy we rent our condo from, PM me! (In Jan, it was $468/7 nights. 3 BR condo in Windsor Hills. VERY clean and beautifully decorated!)

Target has exclusive rights to sell the Igloo backpack. When I bought it, it was $27. It fits a full lunch, snacks, drinks, and a few extras in it for a family of 5.

http://www.expotv.com/IGLOO-Maxcold-Max-Pack-Cooler/29-S5a

It has saved us thousands for sure. We can usually find a table at a counter service outdoor place. We NEVER take tables away from paying customers, however, when we go off season, more than half the place is empty.

Again, I realize not everyone wants to carry in food, but we don't mind.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

I just got finished booking our tickets and condo to go to Disney during home school days. We got our 4 - 5 day hopper passes for $717 and just booked our condo for $553 for the week at Windsor Hills. Some of the cost of the condo $120 of the condo will be paid for by my parents for the days they will be sharing it with us.

So right now we are at $1500 for our tickets, condo and gas to get down there.

Can't wait to take the kids there for the first time!

Are you going for homeschool days?

We will be there in Nov. with the Carolina Homeschool group this time. DH has a conference there so our gas is paid for! :D

Dawn

I just got finished booking our tickets and condo to go to Disney during home school days. We got our 4 - 5 day hopper passes for $717 and just booked our condo for $553 for the week at Windsor Hills. Some of the cost of the condo $120 of the condo will be paid for by my parents for the days they will be sharing it with us.

So right now we are at $1500 for our tickets, condo and gas to get down there.

Can't wait to take the kids there for the first time!

Are you going for homeschool days?

We will be there in Nov. with the Carolina Homeschool group this time. DH has a conference there so our gas is paid for! :D

Dawn

Yes - We are going for the Disney Home school Days the first week of October.

Well, PM me if you want our tips and tricks. If we didn't do Disney this way, DH would not agree to go so I have to find bargains.

There are MANY who don't care to do Disney on the cheap like we do. They prefer an all out vacation with all the plush extras. I would feel sick about our finances if we did that and wouldn't enjoy it.

Dawn

I think Dawn has it down to a science! I love the money-saving ideas she has!

If you have a smaller family, even staying onsite can be done reasonably if you go during value season with free dining. Our family of three went to WDW for a week at Thanksgiving (definitely NOT value season), but we did have free dining. Our package price was $1400.00, and we spent another $500.00 on gas, souvenirs and extras. We were not trying to go extremely cheaply on this trip and still spent less than $2000.00.

When we go again, we will not stay onsite and will most definitely get the Disney YES tickets.

I just know if we didn't do it this way, we wouldn't go....DH is NOT a Disney fan.

When we lived in CA the boys and I would drive down for an afternoon by ourselves. Now that Disney is a 9 hour drive and costs more, I have to plan carefully.

DH gets an "allowance" (please don't flame me, DH and I agree on the cost, I am not giving him an allowance per say, we just call it that.) for golf as well, and his work is putting him up for 3 nights at the Marriott World Center where he can golf for $39 after 4pm. He is very excited and we only have to pay for golf (all his hotel and meals are covered this time for his conference.)

Yippee!!!!!

Dawn

I think Dawn has it down to a science! I love the money-saving ideas she has!

If you have a smaller family, even staying onsite can be done reasonably if you go during value season with free dining. Our family of three went to WDW for a week at Thanksgiving (definitely NOT value season), but we did have free dining. Our package price was $1400.00, and we spent another $500.00 on gas, souvenirs and extras. We were not trying to go extremely cheaply on this trip and still spent less than $2000.00.

When we go again, we will not stay onsite and will most definitely get the Disney YES tickets.

I have a Legoland discount thread going too on this board.

We have fit in LL for this upcoming trip and my boys are SO excited. I even had some leftover American Express gift cards that I was able to use so it isn't costing us anything really, but I still am glad to only pay for 2 of us and the other 2 are free. (DH is in meetings for work while we go so it is just the boys and I who are going.)

Dawn

I must find time to read through this entire thread.

DH and I have finally decided it's time to start planning a family vacation! Right now we're focusing on saving for it. We always thought it was COMPLETELY out of the question. But if we can do it for $1500-$2500 and be able to stay for ATLEAST 4 days...it would be a dream for our family to have a VACATION! As we've never had one.

I'd love to do it as frugal as possible. We have NO problem taking food, prepping our own meals in the condo/room/resort.

The drive alone would be kind of rough since our 2.5yr old son is VERY car sick even with meds for it. BUT it will take us atleast a year to save up for it, I'm hoping by then he'll be much better and we'll be able to find a solution to easing his discomfort for the drive.

Plus we'll have to figure the cost of kenneling our dogs too.