Menu

my 8 yo hit head and hospital wants us to...

My 8 yo was swimming at a friends house and dove into a pool on Fri. and hit her head on the bottom of the pool. We ended up taking her to the Children's Hospital Walk in clinic to have her checked the next day since she had a big bump, headache and it was soft. They said she was ok and just to keep an eye on her.

Then yesterday they called and asked her to enter a study for brain injuries. I tried to explain she had a very mild injury and they said they are in need of kids like her. They will do a MRI and Full neuropsychological and pyscho-educational testing for free once this year and once next year to compare. Pretty interesting.

Has anyone done this? These tests are so expensive...My husband wants me to call and as long as they are not doing CAT scan to sign up. Guess it would be good to help out for kids brain injuries in the future. I wouldnt be able to ever participate in any testing with meds...but this is different.

My husband's lab does MRI research, and some of their work has been on people with TBI. There is a lot of interest right now in very mild TBI, because we know almost nothing about their effects or even how to diagnose them, and a lot of people think MRI research like this will lead to the development of tools to diagnose even very mild TBI.

The participants in his lab's studies get the free scans and images, and they also get financially compensated. As long as you think she'd be okay in the MRI machine--it's very loud and small, so people with claustrophobia don't do well, unless it's an open MRI--I'd do it.

There's also really, really strict regulation of any human subjects research. My husband's lab's research is only on adults, and even then there are loads of precautions they need to take and they need to get the research approved and re-approved by a board on a regular basis. Any research involving children is going to be even more tightly monitored to make sure that there's no safety and/or privacy issues.

My dh had a concussion 2009, it was fairly minor, but took him about 2 months to get over. Two years later I know he is having effects from it, minor ones, but there doesn't seem to be enough research to conclude these new issues stem from the head injury.

Not giving an opinion either way, especially when it comes to a child doing this, but I do wish there were more studies on the long term effects of minor brain trauma.

I had a brain injury (moderate) when I was two years old.

I'm convinced a lot of the issues I've had my whole life are a result of that injury. However, back in 1976 there was little to no information about the long term effects of TBI and I've struggled my whole life as a result.

Just this last summer I finally had all of the neuro-psych tests done. I wish I'd had acess to all of this information years ago.

So, if it were my child and he/she were comfortable with it, I'd absolutely do it. But we all have to make our own choices for our own children. Either way, I'm sure you'll do what's best for your family. :grouphug:

Well...my dd was approved and we are going to Miami Childrens Hospital tomorrow. I am kind of happy since she is complaining again about headaches and her head being sore. I am so glad I get to go check her out again. They have been so nice so far and will be meeting me in the parking lot to walk me up! amazing. When have you had a Dr. do that?

My ds has participated in several studies about autism. Like you, I would probably not let him participate in a study that involved drugs or invasive procedures, but the studies he's been part of have all been very low risk stuff where he wears a neural net (which is itchy, he informs me) while performing various tasks on a computer. No big deal, really. If it can help with the gathering of information on his condition and help someone else out down the road, I think that's a good thing. And in his case, he got paid for his time and was able to get a couple of new video games out of the deal, so he was happy too.

I think it would be good just since they'll be checking her out more thoroughly. My friends 11yo ds was injured in a football game a couple of weeks ago (legal hit). He complained of a headache for several days and they finally took him to the hospital and had an MRI done. They found out he had bleeding on the brain (worse than a concussion).

No CAT and kid agrees? I would definitely do it.

Go, Science!

Plus, how cool will it be for her to get to see an MRI of her own brain? My husband had an MRI once. We loved looking at it, and the neurologist took a long time with us (even though nothing turned out to be wrong) because we showed so much interest in the films and his work.

A friend of mine in college had some sort of injury where they did an MRI of her brain and they gave her the extra films. She made a really neat mobile out of them.

I also say go for it. In part in the name of science, but also because, even if your kid isn't a kid with "issues" as they say, a good psych-ed eval can really tell you a lot about how a person learns. It's just useful for teachers.

well...we finished the first part of the study...waiting to see if she qualifies for the rest. If she does do the MRI it is a new style MRI.. DTI imaging...and they have her performing tasks during the test. Pretty cool. It is a study by the military to determine if the smallest injuries actually cause long term problems that go undiagnosed.

It is an interesting thing to be part of.

I would say yes, as a mother of a then 3 year old who hit her head on the marble floor and had a massive egg and even now has no hair on that spot. We are living overseas and at the time had no access to serious health services.

I would say yes from the point of the researcher too- I am about to start my Master's thesis and I have nightmares about not being able to get participants for my study (in education, nothing rigorous as the medical field, mind you).

I say to keep us posted on the answers to the study. My DD4 fell out of the van onto concrete and landed on her head. She did the full workup at the ER and had a concussion (she threw up 3 times). I haven't noticed 1.5 yrs later any lasting effects, but in the back of my mind I do wonder if we will see any effects down the road.

I would have loved her to be a part of a research group just for my own piece of mind.

I was discussing this yesterday at a birthday party with a friend and 2 moms mentioned how their babies kept bumping their heads while babies. They would walk and fall and hit tables or things like that. I guess most babies fall once in a while. Anyways...you usually dont take babies to the Dr. for those falls..but they had been asking if it was possible that they could be seeing the LD issues now because of those injuries. Interesting.

I would imagine the van fall was horrible. I can just see that!! Owww.. That sounds terrible. It doesnt seem that high but it really is.

She did qualify so we start in a few weeks. She will have her MRI and full psychological and psychoeducational evaluations. They did the BRAQ while I was there on Thursday.

I am very interested to see the results as well. It is a 3 year study. I still believe my sons birth caused brain injury but there is nothing that can prove it and now he just struggles so hard on school work. The brain is quite interesting!!

I am so glad she is going to participate! I was knocked off a horse by a branch as a child and had a concussion. Within a few years I went from being confident, always the leader and loving life to having social anxiety, depression, anorexia and the list goes on. It would be awesome to have more information about brain injuries.

I wouldn't even hesitate. I've had severe blows to the head (ice skating, horseback riding, fall) and I've had mild ones. One mild knock last summer had me mixing up my words and using them wrong for months. I've had pressure, which feels like a brain squeeze, off and on ever since. It also changed my hearing.:confused: If something is happening beside me, I hear it behind me and such. It's weird.

I've been in hospitals and for testing SO MANY TIMES due to my head injuries. They've been a waste of time for me, but I'm hoping one day head injuries are better understood.