Menu

Trendy words and phrases that grate - just for fun

I've noticed a few words and phrases that seem to be overused any more and I was just wondering if anyone else out there found them grating as well.

Unpack - as in "Let me unpack this idea for you."

Cobble together - as in "I cobbled together a history program."

carve out - as in "be sure to carve out some mommy time" or some other such thing.

I don't know why - when I first read these I thought they were nifty ways of putting things, but now they just grate. Perhaps it is the overuse. Perhaps it is the feeling I get that the user is trying to be trendy - trying to appear to be on the cutting edge when, in fact, these words/phrases have been around for several years now.

Maybe I'm just grouchy because I stayed up all night listening to rain and wind wondering when the power was going to go out (which it never did, thankfully). Which, of course, begs the question, "Why be grouchy then?":D

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is, "I know, right?" I can't figure out why, but it bugs me.

I haven't heard this one as much, but I agree - it is a tad grating. It's just filler, like my "ykwim." People say it to fill up dead air space and to get validation. My original list seems more like a "I'm trying to be creative and intellectual here." Perhaps they annoy me because I'm neither creative or intellectual (should that have been "nor"?)

"Cobble together" doesn't strike me as trendy since it's been used for ages.

"Epic fail" is the trendy phrase that really gets on my nerves lately.

I guess I'm revealing that I'm not widely read because I've only just recently (past five years) noticed cobble together. For me, since it is so new to me, it seems trendy.

Maybe I'm just grouchy because I stayed up all night listening to rain and wind wondering when the power was going to go out (which it never did, thankfully). Which, of course, begs the question, "Why be grouchy then?":D

Well, since you asked . . .

I dislike the modern trend of using the phrase of "begs the question" to mean "raises the question" instead of the traditional meaning of circular reasoning. ;)

back pocket.....as a back up plan. "I'll keep that idea in my back pocket"

out of pocket....as in unavailable. "I'll use my back pocket if you are out of pocket"

I've actually never heard either of these. Out of pocket has always meant that I have to pay for it myself - insurance doesn't cover it. If someone used it the way you have explained it I would be seriously confused.

Back pocket, otoh, is kind of nifty. I think I'll steal it for now - at least until it starts grating.:lol:

I haven't heard this one as much, but I agree - it is a tad grating. It's just filler, like my "ykwim." People say it to fill up dead air space and to get validation. My original list seems more like a "I'm trying to be creative and intellectual here." Perhaps they annoy me because I'm neither creative or intellectual (should that have been "nor"?)

I see what you're saying. I just focused on "phrases that grate," and that one really grates at me!

Here are a few:

No offense, but.....:glare: (typically followed by something offensive!)

Let's table this for later (it is SHELVE!)

Due to the fact (not sure if it is grammatically incorrect but to me it is!)

Here's the bottom line (way over-used and I do it myself! :001_huh:)

I dislike the modern trend of using the phrase of "begs the question" to mean "raises the question" instead of the traditional meaning of circular reasoning. ;)

Oh, my. I just read that article. Feeling quite dense now. Can you give me an example that does not include anything from Ancient Greece?:D

Here are a few:

No offense, but.....:glare: (typically followed by something offensive!)

Let's table this for later (it is SHELVE!)

Due to the fact (not sure if it is grammatically incorrect but to me it is!)

Here's the bottom line (way over-used and I do it myself! :001_huh:)

These are great! You reminded me of "Here's the thing" too. Any ideas on what to say instead?

My sister and I were talking last night about phrases we are soo tired of..."at the end of the day".....overused!!! and a new one we are disgusted by and have heard several times lately, is "...and I threw up in my mouth a little bit"...

blech!! We vote to let those 2 phrases disappear NOW! :tongue_smilie:

I've actually never heard either of these. Out of pocket has always meant that I have to pay for it myself - insurance doesn't cover it. If someone used it the way you have explained it I would be seriously confused.

"Out of pocket" to mean "unavailable" has been around for a few years. Our realtor used it *ALL THE TIME* when we were house-hunting back in summer & fall of '09. Talk about grating!

Shoot me an email - absolutely drives me crazy for some reason.

I've only ever heard that on a tv show or movie. Again, the first time I heard it, it passed right by me. Didn't register - just thought it was an ok way to say "send me an email." I can see why it would be grating though, it you heard it a lot.

Perhaps that's the key to the gratingness of these phrases (yes, I know, gratingness is not a word) - just that they get used too much. I could probably get some federal grant money to find out (and no, that was not a political statement - I've said that since Carter was in office - just a general reference to government waste.)

"Out of pocket" to mean "unavailable" has been around for a few years. Our realtor used it *ALL THE TIME* when we were house-hunting back in summer & fall of '09. Talk about grating!

Well, I must be out of the loop (oh, dear, hope that's not on anyone's list:D.) Perhaps it is a West Coast thing.

Wahooo! Someone else knows and hates this one! :lol: I never bother trying to explain it to people, because I am sure they (generally) don't care, but it drives me nuts.

ETA: Here's an example:

"Definition: A complicated fallacy; it comes in several forms and can be harder to detect than many of the other fallacies we've discussed. Basically, an argument that begs the question asks the reader to simply accept the conclusion without providing real evidence; the argument either relies on a premise that says the same thing as the conclusion (which you might hear referred to as "being circular" or "circular reasoning"), or simply ignores an important (but questionable) assumption that the argument rests on. Sometimes people use the phrase "beg the question" as a sort of general criticism of arguments, to mean that an arguer hasn't given very good reasons for a conclusion, but that's not the meaning we're going to discuss here.

Examples: "Active euthanasia is morally acceptable. It is a decent, ethical thing to help another human being escape suffering through death." Let's lay this out in premise-conclusion form:

Premise: It is a decent, ethical thing to help another human being escape suffering through death.

Conclusion: Active euthanasia is morally acceptable.

If we "translate" the premise, we'll see that the arguer has really just said the same thing twice: "decent, ethical" means pretty much the same thing as "morally acceptable," and "help another human being escape suffering through death" means "active euthanasia." So the premise basically says, "active euthanasia is morally acceptable," just like the conclusion does! The arguer hasn't yet given us any real reasons why euthanasia is acceptable; instead, she has left us asking "well, really, why do you think active euthanasia is acceptable?" Her argument "begs" (that is, evades) the real question.

Here's a second example of begging the question, in which a dubious premise which is needed to make the argument valid is completely ignored: "Murder is morally wrong. So active euthanasia is morally wrong." The premise that gets left out is "active euthanasia is murder." And that is a debatable premise—again, the argument "begs" or evades the question of whether active euthanasia is murder by simply not stating the premise. The arguer is hoping we'll just focus on the uncontroversial premise, "Murder is morally wrong," and not notice what is being assumed."

Edited by Caitilin

My sister and I were talking last night about phrases we are soo tired of..."at the end of the day".....overused!!! and a new one we are disgusted by and have heard several times lately, is "...and I threw up in my mouth a little bit"...

blech!! We vote to let those 2 phrases disappear NOW! :tongue_smilie:

I saw the "end of the day" phrase on a list in a New Year's Day edition of the Washington Post a year or two ago about all the things that were in or out for the coming year. It was on the "out" list. I guess not many folks read the Post.:)

The other one you mentioned, well, it certainly is descriptive and we certainly get the idea, but TMI!!

oh, and when they say "like" once or twice per sentence.....

Where did this lame usage come from????? How did this word work it's insidious way into our everyday language???? Why?? Why?? Why???!!!!!!!:tongue_smilie:

Wahooo! Someone else knows and hates this one! :lol: I never bother trying to explain it to people, because I am sure they (generally) don't care, but it drives me nuts.

ETA: Here's an example:

"Definition: A complicated fallacy; it comes in several forms and can be harder to detect than many of the other fallacies we've discussed. Basically, an argument that begs the question asks the reader to simply accept the conclusion without providing real evidence; the argument either relies on a premise that says the same thing as the conclusion (which you might hear referred to as "being circular" or "circular reasoning"), or simply ignores an important (but questionable) assumption that the argument rests on. Sometimes people use the phrase "beg the question" as a sort of general criticism of arguments, to mean that an arguer hasn't given very good reasons for a conclusion, but that's not the meaning we're going to discuss here.

Examples: "Active euthanasia is morally acceptable. It is a decent, ethical thing to help another human being escape suffering through death." Let's lay this out in premise-conclusion form:

Premise: It is a decent, ethical thing to help another human being escape suffering through death.

Conclusion: Active euthanasia is morally acceptable.

If we "translate" the premise, we'll see that the arguer has really just said the same thing twice: "decent, ethical" means pretty much the same thing as "morally acceptable," and "help another human being escape suffering through death" means "active euthanasia." So the premise basically says, "active euthanasia is morally acceptable," just like the conclusion does! The arguer hasn't yet given us any real reasons why euthanasia is acceptable; instead, she has left us asking "well, really, why do you think active euthanasia is acceptable?" Her argument "begs" (that is, evades) the real question.

Here's a second example of begging the question, in which a dubious premise which is needed to make the argument valid is completely ignored: "Murder is morally wrong. So active euthanasia is morally wrong." The premise that gets left out is "active euthanasia is murder." And that is a debatable premise—again, the argument "begs" or evades the question of whether active euthanasia is murder by simply not stating the premise. The arguer is hoping we'll just focus on the uncontroversial premise, "Murder is morally wrong," and not notice what is being assumed."

Thanks for this. The synonym "evades" is very helpful. I'm going to keep my eyes out for some examples of this kind of fallacy.

I cannot stand when people say, "Good for you!"

Even when the tone in their voice is completely kind and congratulatory, I feel like they are mocking me or being sarcastic.

My first grade teacher said that to me one time (in a congratulatory way) and I cried. She didn't understand why :lol:

I've just never liked it, and hear it used a lot more sarcastically than kindly so it has colored my opinion (oh boy, I hope that isn't a hated phrase :tongue_smilie:)

I'm sick of the phrase, "not so much." As in, I love Chinese food, but my husband...not so much."

After being on pinterest for a while, how many photos are labeled, "Love this" or "yes, please!"

Also, "Let's do lunch/coffee." and "baby bump" really get on my nerves.

One last one. I'm sick of seeing variations of "Live. Laugh. Love." Everywhere. It's on every kitschy knick-knack around. Frames, pillows, wall art, key chains, t-shirts. Drives me nuts.

I cannot stand when people say, "Good for you!"

Even when the tone in their voice is completely kind and congratulatory, I feel like they are mocking me or being sarcastic.

My first grade teacher said that to me one time (in a congratulatory way) and I cried. She didn't understand why :lol:

I've just never liked it, and hear it used a lot more sarcastically than kindly so it has colored my opinion (oh boy, I hope that isn't a hated phrase :tongue_smilie:)

I think it can be said in a patronizing sort of way which would most definitely be irritating. Maybe you heard it used a lot that way as a child and so now it doesn't matter how anyone says it, it still comes off as sarcastic.

The recruiter that was talking to DH about a job last year would say "I just wanted to touch base with you..." at least three times per voicemail. It drove me nuts!

Yes.

I'm sick of the phrase, "not so much." As in, I love Chinese food, but my husband...not so much."

After being on pinterest for a while, how many photos are labeled, "Love this" or "yes, please!"

Also, "Let's do lunch/coffee." and "baby bump" really get on my nerves.

One last one. I'm sick of seeing variations of "Live. Laugh. Love." Everywhere. It's on every kitschy knick-knack around. Frames, pillows, wall art, key chains, t-shirts. Drives me nuts.

and yes - especially the "not so much"

"Fast forward." As in when someone tells you about something that happened some time ago, and then says "Fast forward..." to the current situation. I don't know why it annoys me but it does. :glare:

A friend likes to say, "Are you serious?" Well, of course, I'm serious! Why else would I say what I did?? :glare:

"Epic fail" is kind of fun. It doesn't bother me yet. :D

How about "tools in his toolbox"? I feel like I hear that one ALL THE TIME here when people are talking about why use 14 math programs - so their child will have more "tools in his toolbox". :)

I think this is one of those phrases that pops up and everybody latches onto it because it does express an understandable meaning - those listening or reading get what is meant readily.

Again, I think the grating must come from overuse. I'm starting to think overuse is either efficient (why reinvent the wheel?) or just lazy. Perhaps new phrases come into use when everyone is just finally sick and tired enough of hearing the old ones. Or maybe they come from especially creative people and the rest of us not-so-creative types borrow them because, well, why not?

"Fast forward." As in when someone tells you about something that happened some time ago, and then says "Fast forward..." to the current situation. I don't know why it annoys me but it does. :glare:

A friend likes to say, "Are you serious?" Well, of course, I'm serious! Why else would I say what I did?? :glare:

"Epic fail" is kind of fun. It doesn't bother me yet. :D

These are good. I'm not irritated by "fast forward" - yet. But I can understand others being annoyed by it.

We've changed "Are you serious?" to "Are you serial?" just to change things up a bit. (Oh, no! - change things up grates me too.):D

Oh, my. I just read that article. Feeling quite dense now. Can you give me an example that does not include anything from Ancient Greece?:D

(I made this one up)

Most American teenagers spend 7 hours a day asleep, 8 hours in school, 2 hours a day playing video games, 2 hours talking or texting, 1 hour on personal grooming, and 2 hours in the car, for a total of 22 hours of the day crammed with activities -- which begs the question, when do they have time to play outside?!