Menu

Please read...

:smilielol5: That's kind of funny!...I don't want to get banned, but that's a legitimate question :lol:...Times are hard :D

It is kind of funny though...

Even stuff like the taxi doesn't get me wondering about trolls. However, when someone quotes nicely written posts and calls them attacks over and over *that's* when someone is trying to stir things up hotter.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:smilielol5: That's kind of funny!...I don't want to get banned, but that's a legitimate question :lol:...Times are hard :D

It is kind of funny though...

I thought this too! Can you do that? Things are tight here too. I'd like to bring in some extra income. :001_smile:

Denise

Even stuff like the taxi doesn't get me wondering about trolls. However, when someone quotes nicely written posts and calls them attacks over and over *that's* when someone is trying to stir things up hotter.

Or they genuinely have low self esteem. Or are emotionally abuse and online is the only place they feel safe standing up for themselves.

Too hard to always know their stories out of context. :(

Or they genuinely have low self esteem. Or are emotionally abuse and online is the only place they feel safe standing up for themselves.

Too hard to always know their stories out of context. :(

Nah. Not the way she was doing it. There were posts she did point out that someone not quite right would point out as attacks. Then she took a totally normal one and called it abuse. A totally normal one. And called it abuse. One that wasn't even against her at all. I went :001_huh:.

WHEW! I'm not the only one. I always seem to log on right after all the drama.

Me too! I had actually just started reading the thread in question when it was deleted.

AngelBee, I remember what happened to you.:grouphug: Very uncool.

I think it is definitely hard to strike a balance. I know this board has/has had trolls, drama seekers, pot stirrers, exaggeraters(how's that for a word) just to name a few. That may be any of us on a bad day or after a couple drinks.:D I think innocent until proven guilty is best when in doubt. Trolls always seem to make themselves know eventually.

Wow. I did NOT know that. I AM a country girl though! :D

Here's a quick link I found:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1693673/Could-you-rent-out-your-car-for-cash.html

Of course, the times I've heard of it happening in WH, it was not so aboveboard. But that is definitely a place where people go outside the box to find ways to survive--for better or for worse!

Heck, I heard that people in North Jersey are renting out their backyards to city dwellers with no property so they can have BBQs and stuff! I wish I was so nervy...maybe we wouldn't be so broke :lol:

Nah. Not the way she was doing it. There were posts she did point out that someone not quite right would point out as attacks. Then she took a totally normal one and called it abuse. A totally normal one. And called it abuse. One that wasn't even against her at all. I went :001_huh:.

Honestly, didnt read past first couple posts. You could be totally right. Just saying sometimes there is more to the story. :)

I didn't know we were supposed to properly introduce ourselves...

What is the proper method then?

I'm new-ish. Hi.

There, am I done?

I am a little worried now that I haven't introduced myself. Especially since I joined last year, I think, and then disappeared during the school year. I had too, because I was second guessing all my curriculum choices and so I put away all my catalogs and just didn't come around here for a while until earlier this month I came back. Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just wanted to let everyone know:001_smile:

BTW, my real name is Jenny. In college I joked that if I was ever to write, my pen name would be Moonbeam Jones.

I have an idea! How about instead of troll hunting, we do angel sightins??? :) we can start theads calling out the Hive members who have inspired, assisted, motivated us,etc this week :D

Unfortunatley we are not mature enough to do this. Some would begin to be more cliquish, some would get their feelings hurt because they were not sighted enough. Oh, the drama.

It was a good idea though.

Regular posters do that all the time too though. I can cite a specific example from just a few days ago (thread now deleted), and the poster is a regular here and from the old boards. We all got called mean girls.

I am a little worried now that I haven't introduced myself. Especially since I joined last year, I think, and then disappeared during the school year. I had too, because I was second guessing all my curriculum choices and so I put away all my catalogs and just didn't come around here for a while until earlier this month I came back. Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just wanted to let everyone know:001_smile:

BTW, my real name is Jenny. In college I joked that if I was ever to write, my pen name would be Moonbeam Jones.

Hi, Jenny.

Hang out here on the General Board with me. I stay away from the Curriculum board so as to not spend money. I think there are a few others too.

Regular posters do that all the time too though. I can cite a specific example from just a few days ago (thread now deleted), and the poster is a regular here and from the old boards. We all got called mean girls.

I am totally guilty of taking things too personally. I do it in real life though too :)

I am totally guilty of taking things too personally. I do it in real life though too :)

:lol: So do I, but I just slink away with my tail between my legs, imagining the worst. Thankfully, I've posted plenty of personal stuff here, and most everyone's been kind (at least out loud!).

Hi, Jenny.

Hang out here on the General Board with me. I stay away from the Curriculum board so as to not spend money. I think there are a few others too.

Every time I go to the curriculum boards, I end up changing my mind on something. DH has requested that I just make up my mind already. Maybe we need a support group?

Guest submarines
It's just a message board. It should not be breaking hearts or conjuring thoughts that there's evil afoot.

Well yeah, it is just a message board. But I'd say that many posters, especially those who post sincerely and share, even if anonymously, their worries and their joys, are affected by mean behaviour on the board. Maybe it is sad and pathetic, but many homeschoolers are quite isolated and don't find support in their families and friends. Message boards like this become very important, maybe, unfortunately, too important.

:grouphug:

Hi, Jenny.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is the first time I've heard this! Mostly, I hear people say they stay away from this board so as to avoid the drama :lol:

I do hear you about the K-8 board though--I inevitably come away from there conflicted about my choices, in panic mode because we're "not doing enough," or with ideas that will add about 3 hours a day to our HSing schedule!

I think they eventually out themselves, like Anna Marie did. Clearly she (he?) kept trying to a point where what (s)he was posting was no longer believable.

I'll be honest, there are a few regular posters here that I no longer believe, for the most part. But I seem to be the only one!

You are not the only one.

How I deal with that is that if I don't buy it, I don't even bother looking at it anymore. There are so many threads and posts every day on this board that it's not hard to just skip everything that makes you feel like pulling on your barn boots.

My real name is not Parker Martin. I write under a different name elsewhere on the Internet. (I didn't use the same name here because I try not to mix politics and parenting or politics and homeschooling.) Married, happy, two sons, pretty square, no drama in my life to speak of... there, I hope that covers it. :001_smile:

:lol::lol::lol:

This is the first time I've heard this! Mostly, I hear people say they stay away from this board so as to avoid the drama :lol:

I do hear you about the K-8 board though--I inevitably come away from there conflicted about my choices, in panic mode because we're "not doing enough," or with ideas that will add about 3 hours a day to our HSing schedule!

Yup. It's funny but when I'm away from the curriculum board I'm generally much happier and more satisfied with my choices. I do go there occasionlly but it usually just a big hit to my confidence in my choices.

My real name is not Parker Martin. I write under a different name elsewhere on the Internet. (I didn't use the same name here because I try not to mix politics and parenting or politics and homeschooling.) Married, happy, two sons, pretty square, no drama in my life to speak of... there, I hope that covers it. :001_smile:

Well, we are still going to need the forms explaining where you stand on crockpots (and using canned soup therein), returning your shopping cart to the corral, asking guests to leave their shoes at the door, and whether it's appropriate for moms to wear bikinis. In triplicate, please!

:tongue_smilie:

Regarding troll threads...

You know, these threads are very divisive yo the Hive community. As someone who has been on the receiving end of such speculation...it is extremely hurtful.

I love you all, but feel the need to say that this is wrong. We all deal enough with people challenging our beliefs. Do you really have to do it with such a lack of grace here too? :(

Thanks for listening.

I just want to say I agree. I've been a member for awhile, but have limited my posting due to the aggressive nature of some of the board members. It smacks of mean girl bullying in junior high.

... since you said "please."

I have never tried to "out" a troll. I think most trollish people are attention seekers, so I give them less attention.

But I do think that sometimes it's good for someone to say, "Your story rings false" or "Why aren't you willing to answer reasonable questions?" even if they don't directly accuse someone of being a troll.

I am sure I wouldn't like being accused either. But if I were, I think I would step back and ask myself why. Maybe the person accusing me is nutso or has a personal problem with me. Or maybe I am divulging to much information, being too personal, bragging, or being combative. Something. I would wonder what would make someone think I am appearing to have troll characteristics.

I have no memory of you as a poster, and I am not saying you did any of these things. I also am not saying that it's okay to run around accusing people of being trolls for minor things. But there are people who stir up discontent, and I don't have a problem with more .... assertive .... members of the board occasionally calling them out.

You are not the only one.

How I deal with that is that if I don't buy it, I don't even bother looking at it anymore. There are so many threads and posts every day on this board that it's not hard to just skip everything that makes you feel like pulling on your barn boots.

I agree. And frankly, I have so much to do around here that I shouldn't even BE online!

Yup. It's funny but when I'm away from the curriculum board I'm generally much happier and more satisfied with my choices. I do go there occasionlly but it usually just a big hit to my confidence in my choices.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Sometimes I just want to cry when I leave there! I have to stay away from blogs too, as much as I enjoy reading about HSing. What does that say about me, I wonder?!

Audrey, barn boots...that's funny. Gotta remember that one. I've been wearing my virtual ones for about a week now. Maybe that's why I was so quick to jump in this morning's troll hunt - I was already suited up for it.

I also avoid the curriculum boards, just like I avoid the bakery and jewelry store. After 12 years of homeschooling, I have what I need and I know what works for me. I do not have time to fend off the latest and greatest temptation.

AngelBee, I am sorry you were put through the ringer. But I am glad you stuck around.

Unfortunatley we are not mature enough to do this. Some would begin to be more cliquish, some would get their feelings hurt because they were not sighted enough. Oh, the drama.

It was a good idea though.

:iagree: TBPH, there was a thread a few months ago that said something like, "Who are your favorite posters?" or something like that. I kept reading it for a couple of pages and then started to :nopity: for myself; "What? Nobody thinks of me? Nobody's looking for a lovely post from Quill?" I had to step away from the thread. It was starting to make me feel like the wallflower at the back of 7th grade Science again.

I strongly (strongly!) disagree with the need for what Carol in IL posted, but I've seen plenty of religion-based beliefs here that I consider bizarre, yet not at all troll-like.

She's back again huh? If she's not a troll, I've never seen one. Been popping up from time to time for years now. Did she finally get banned?

Weird thing is, no one ever seems to remember her. Must be the plain jane username (no offense to the poster who goes by Plain Jane :tongue_smilie:).

:iagree: TBPH, there was a thread a few months ago that said something like, "Who are your favorite posters?" or something like that. I kept reading it for a couple of pages and then started to :nopity: for myself; "What? Nobody thinks of me? Nobody's looking for a lovely post from Quill?" I had to step away from the thread. It was starting to make me feel like the wallflower at the back of 7th grade Science again.

:iagree:That is exactly how I felt too; and while, yes, I know, KNOW it is a stupid reaction on my part, nonetheless it was hurtful to read a list of popular posters. :001_smile:

The troll threads have nothing to do with particular beliefs. They are about outing someone who is going to harm the integrity of these boards.

Respectfully, doesn't the constant attention to "The Trolls" and thread after thread of "spin-offs" affect the integrity of this board? It's made me look at the boards in an entirely different light.

Some think (and I tend to agree) that troll-outing MAINTAINS the integrity of the board by ultimately making it a safer place for us to be. If trolls were not dealt with then much of our time would be taken up with even MORE drama. :glare:

Then report it to a mod. Public lynchings are not lady like.

Some think (and I tend to agree) that troll-outing MAINTAINS the integrity of the board by ultimately making it a safer place for us to be. If trolls were not dealt with then much of our time would be taken up with even MORE drama. :glare:

Well then why can't the "outing" be enough? Just someone throw up a quick "your story doesn't make sense" and leave.it.alone. The Troll will usually out themselves with how they respond. Quit feeding a Troll and it will look elsewhere for food.

I understand your position. I just disagree. I do not agree that calling someone's behaviour out is "public lynching".

Asking someone to clarify what they mean/what they are talking about/what they are asking is NOT a personal attack. A genuine poster could easily say, "Oh, I meant X" instead of evading/playing games/crying 'attack'.

This is a community. As a community we all have a responsibility to protect it. Some would say that 'as a community we have a responsibility to be kind to every single person who shows up regardless of their integrity or intentions or willingness to stir up drama'.

I understand your position. I just disagree. I do not agree that calling someone's behaviour out is "public lynching".

Asking someone to clarify what they mean/what they are talking about/what they are asking is NOT a personal attack. A genuine poster could easily say, "Oh, I meant X" instead of evading/playing games/crying 'attack'..

But that is not what happens. Asking someone to clarify is one thing. Full-blown War On Trolls is another. In all of this "troll-outing" quite a few troublemakers have "outed" themselves. Again.

:iagree: I could not have said it better! Why hunt these people down? If they truly are trolls, they will leave on their own due to lack of drama and response.

There have been threads I will not even read because they seem suspect. But I also take into account my past interections w thead author.

Sometimes crazy things just happen.

Not this person. She keeps coming back and there would always be people (some newbies of course and some not so new) who do not remember her.

I bet she stands out a little more now. Sounds like she finally went totally off the deep end.

I don't believe ignoring trolls makes them go away. This one waits patiently for a while and then returns.

She's back again huh? If she's not a troll, I've never seen one. Been popping up from time to time for years now. Did she finally get banned?

Weird thing is, no one ever seems to remember her. Must be the plain jane username (no offense to the poster who goes by Plain Jane :tongue_smilie:).

:lol: Totally possible. It was actually CarolfromIL, I think. I got it wrong the first time. Still, who knows? As I said earlier, I suspect all sorts of people here whom no one else seems to. I just keep swimming :tongue_smilie:

Respectfully, doesn't the constant attention to "The Trolls" and thread after thread of "spin-offs" affect the integrity of this board? It's made me look at the boards in an entirely different light.

Meh. I've been here for 5 years now. I have no illusions about the nature of the board. Doesn't mean I don't wish for a few changes though! And over the years, I've gotten a few of my wishes. I disagree with the troll hunts, but it won't drive me off the board. (They'll have to pry the ethernet cable out of my cold, dead hands for that!)

I do think more of us should just keep on walking though.

Asking someone to clarify what they mean/what they are talking about/what they are asking is NOT a personal attack. A genuine poster could easily say, "Oh, I meant X" instead of evading/playing games/crying 'attack'.

This is a community. As a community we all have a responsibility to protect it. Some would say that 'as a community we have a responsibility to be kind to every single person who shows up regardless of their integrity or intentions or willingness to stir up drama'.

I have no issue wuth asking for clarification.

I have an issue with rude nameless spinoffs. Reaks od gossip and mean girl syndrom.

We all have a responsibilty to clarify or make sense of details. I am fine with that. Discussipn is great. Accusations are not.

That is ok if we disagree. I promise I wont call you a troll because we dont see eye to eye! :tongue_smilie:

But that is not what happens. Asking someone to clarify is one thing. Full-blown War On Trolls is another. In all of this "troll-outing" quite a few troublemakers have "outed" themselves. Again.

Gosh, this is starting remind me of the drama around the election. I'd like to be the first to predict a stern sticky from our fearless leader about it!

And ETA, I don't necessarily disagree with you! Your post just totally made me realize that this is so much like the election insanity. Come to think of it, I may indeed take a board break until January 2013!

Edited by melissel

Gosh, this is starting remind me of the drama around the election. I'd like to be the first to predict a stern sticky from our fearless leader about it!

And ETA, I don't necessarily disagree with you! Your post just totally made me realize that this is so much like the election insanity. Come to think of it, I may indeed take a board break until January 2013!

:lol:--I am still giggling over your ethernet cable statement. :D

:iagree:I think it can and has crossed the line at times, but only once that I know of. Interestingly enough, the one time it was off, the poster remained.

I also think that a strong offense, mixed with Hive humor, is a good thing ;)

I do not think it is very healthy to go to the mods with every suspicion. It is tiresome for them, and unempowering for the rest. Will mistakes be made? Yes! Hopefully, apologies will follow and restoration can happen.

I think they eventually out themselves, like Anna Marie did. Clearly she (he?) kept trying to a point where what (s)he was posting was no longer believable.

I'll be honest, there are a few regular posters here that I no longer believe, for the most part. But I seem to be the only one!

Now see.....I rarely notice that kind of thing! Can you tell me who it is in a pm so I can be on the watch. I just can't take wondering who is real and who isn't.

I've been on these boards a long time.....I think I must lack some skill that you all have.