Menu

Please read...

Regarding troll threads...

You know, these threads are very divisive yo the Hive community. As someone who has been on the receiving end of such speculation...it is extremely hurtful.

I love you all, but feel the need to say that this is wrong. We all deal enough with people challenging our beliefs. Do you really have to do it with such a lack of grace here too? :(

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The troll threads have nothing to do with particular beliefs. They are about outing someone who is going to harm the integrity of these boards.

Then it should be taken to a mod.

When I was called a troll, it was not due to damaging the integrity of the board. It was like bullying.

It is one thing to question. But insults and attacking are not necessary.

The troll threads have nothing to do with particular beliefs. They are about outing someone who is going to harm the integrity of these boards.

AngelBee, this board has in the past been frequented by "skilled" trolls that have inflicted a lot of harm. I suspect this is why we get more vigilant in suspecting posters now.

I, too was first categorized as a troll. I came over from the High School Board and failed to introduce myself properly. The nice thing is, if you are not a troll, and stay here, people will see that you are "for real."

Indeed. The thing with many trolls is they build an image of certain beliefs based on their stereotypes of homeschoolers. Generally they pick a very conservative persona but it's because there are so many well-reasoned and thoughtful conservative posters here that they stick out so much. Hopefully it would be the same if one posed with very liberal beliefs which, if you wanted drama or pot stirring, would be the other big choice of a troll I'd think. I've seen that on some Christian forums I used to be a member of.

I agree with that, but I also think that the troll hunting is happening more often than necessary these days. The Anna Marie thing was so very obvious, but I've seen it happen to posters who didn't have anything particularly odd in their background here. Just being a relative newbie doesn't automatically make one a troll.

It's funny, I was thinking just today that the boards seem to have mostly run off anyone extremely (and vocally) liberal/areligious and anyone extremely (and vocally) conservative/religious. I'm sort of OK with that, but I think anyone who posts from one of these mindsets doesn't automatically deserve to be called a troll. I strongly (strongly!) disagree with the need for what Carol in IL posted, but I've seen plenty of religion-based beliefs here that I consider bizarre, yet not at all troll-like.

I don't know. I don't think troll-hunting is a very kind sport, I guess, because I think most of the people being hunted are usually just asking a sincere (if outside-the-norm) question.

AngelBee, this board has in the past been frequented by "skilled" trolls that have inflicted a lot of harm. I suspect this is why we get more vigilant in suspecting posters now.

I, too was first categorized as a troll. I came over from the High School Board and failed to introduce myself properly. The nice thing is, if you are not a troll, and stay here, people will see that you are "for real."

Call me naive, but I prefer to think of people as innocent until they prove otherwise.

I agree with that, but I also think that the troll hunting is happening more often than necessary these days. The Anna Marie thing was so very obvious, but I've seen it happen to posters who didn't have anything particularly odd in their background here. Just being a relative newbie doesn't automatically make one a troll.

It's funny, I was thinking just today that the boards seem to have mostly run off anyone extremely (and vocally) liberal/areligious and anyone extremely (and vocally) conservative/religious. I'm sort of OK with that, but I think anyone who posts from one of these mindsets doesn't automatically deserve to be called a troll. I strongly (strongly!) disagree with the need for what Carol in IL posted, but I've seen plenty of religion-based beliefs here that I consider bizarre, yet not at all troll-like.

I don't know. I don't think troll-hunting is a very kind sport, I guess, because I think most of the people being hunted are usually just asking a sincere (if outside-the-norm) question.

Well, I thought it was rather worrisome until she started calling posts that weren't even remotely bad "attacks". Trolls stir up stuff on purpose and it was clear she was doing so at that point. I have never called someone a troll before today and I don't do so lightly.

But why would anyone want to stay after what goes on in some of those threads?

I almost left. It was heartbreaking! My husband (ironically lol) was the one who told me not to. He said there will always be mean girls.

What makes me sad is that you are all so much better than that.

I get that there are bad people out there. Byt I refuse to let that taint my view. I wont let evil win.

I'm thinking there is a challenge of sorts going on in Trollville (Do trolls and snerts gather to discuss their works?) to see if TWTM boards can be infiltrated.

Then there are those people who do need some kind of mental assistance. Hopefully they get the help they need without disrupting too many internet communities.

Sadly there have been some mistakes made and the self-designated troll hunters do get a bit enthusiastic at times. Someone questioned one of my Ambien ravings after my six month hiatus. Nothing as harsh as what you experienced though. I am sorry you had to experience that. :grouphug:

Well, I thought it was rather worrisome until she started calling posts that weren't even remotely bad "attacks". Trolls stir up stuff on purpose and it was clear she was doing so at that point. I have never called someone a troll before today and I don't do so lightly.

Well, frankly, some of the early responses to her made ME raise my eyebrows, and I'm an atheist. I stopped reading after that, because I knew exactly where it was headed.

I'm not against a little good fun when someone's on a high horse or is a very obvious troublemaker, believe me. But I dislike this trend :(

I almost left. It was heartbreaking! My husband (ironically lol) was the one who told me not to. He said there will always be mean girls.

I get that there are bad people out there. Byt I refuse to let that taint my view. I wont let evil win.

It's just a message board. It should not be breaking hearts or conjuring thoughts that there's evil afoot.

AngelBee, I remember that :grouphug: It was very surprising, but then I've "known" you for years via MDC too, so I knew you weren't a troll.

Call me naive, but I prefer to think of people as innocent until they prove otherwise.

I agree. I have posted/advised/consoled a good many trolls on this board and don't feel foolish about it. I rather err on the side of responding to a troll than not being welcoming. Sometimes, it gets rather obvious though and then the individual posts reflect that.

You know, these threads are very divisive yo the Hive community. As someone who has been on the receiving end of such speculation...it is extremely hurtful.

I love you all, but feel the need to say that this is wrong. We all deal enough with people challenging our beliefs. Do you really have to do it with such a lack of grace here too? :(

Thanks for listening.

:iagree: I don't post that much but have been reading these boards for several years. So, just because people aren't as familiar with you when you ask for emotional support does not mean that you are being dramatic and are a troll. I remember your post and thought people were awful to you.

Funny thing, the old boards did not seem to be that way. Yes, you might get intense conversation about curriculum or rigorous standards, but not some of the more bullying style that I see now. Nor do I remember seeing that people had to properly introduce themselves on each board. Once you came on, you could post on all the boards. These are not good changes, imho.

Denise

Edited by FrogMom5
Oops. Meant to say "not that way" re old boards.

I agree. I have posted/advised/consoled a good many trolls on this board and don't feel foolish about it. I rather err on the side of responding to a troll than not being welcoming. Sometimes, it gets rather obvious though and then the individual posts reflect that.

:iagree:

I try. Sometimes it does seem that there are overreaction beyond the "norm", but I also assume that I may be reading the post wrong because there is no voice inflection.... or perhaps the poster really is just that sensitive. I can't imagine having thin skin and posting on discussion boards, though - it would just be upsetting all the time.... I would think a sensitive person would simply avoid them.

Can I ask what may look like a very silly question?...What is a "troll" and a "troll thread"

Someone who joins a message board and pretends to be something or someone they aren't just to get attention, or to scam people, or to stir up trouble, or because school's out and they are bored, etc.

They might pretend to have twenty-five kids and currently pregnancy with sextuplets. They might pretend they are about to be kicked out of their house and angling for paypal donations. They might just want to make obnoxious comments to people to tick them off. Or they might just be bored and trying to make up a believable story and see how long they can keep it going before they get bored or found out...

Fun, huh?

Thanks for listening.

Thinking about this again. I think you do have a good point. At the same time I don't think it's bad to out the outrageous trolls. Not sure how to negotiate the middle ground though.

Someone who joins a message board and pretends to be something or someone they aren't just to get attention, or to scam people, or to stir up trouble, or because school's out and they are bored, etc.

They might pretend to have twenty-five kids and currently pregnancy with sextuplets. They might pretend they are about to be kicked out of their house and angling for paypal donations. They might just want to make obnoxious comments to people to tick them off. Or they might just be bored and trying to make up a believable story and see how long they can keep it going before they get bored or found out...

Fun, huh?

:confused1: :willy_nilly: :001_huh:

Thinking about this again. I think you do have a good point. At the same time I don't think it's bad to out the outrageous trolls. Not sure how to negotiate the middle ground though.

Just notify the mods and let them sort it out and in the meantime steer clear of threads posted by the suspicious individual. *shrug*

I think they eventually out themselves, like Anna Marie did. Clearly she (he?) kept trying to a point where what (s)he was posting was no longer believable.

I'll be honest, there are a few regular posters here that I no longer believe, for the most part. But I seem to be the only one!

I think it is important to remember that there is a big difference between bullying and deflection. Sometimes, it is good to "starve" a poster of the specific type of attention they are looking for.

:iagree: I could not have said it better! Why hunt these people down? If they truly are trolls, they will leave on their own due to lack of drama and response.

There have been threads I will not even read because they seem suspect. But I also take into account my past interections w thead author.

Sometimes crazy things just happen.

Has this happened recently?...I read these boards frequently and still miss everything...

There was a thread today (deleted now) where someone played a caricature of a homeschooler saying, for example, that she made sure to characterize any and all science topics by Creationism and asking if others had their pastors review their curriculum. It was an obvious troll even to someone as troll clueless as me. :001_smile:

:iagree: I could not have said it better! Why hunt these people down? If they truly are trolls, they will leave on their own due to lack of drama and response.

I am pretty sure the mods dealt with that particular thread asking that it be taken directly to them.

There have been threads I will not even read because they seem suspect. But I also take into account my past interections w thead author.

Sometimes crazy things just happen.

I do not have any problem with people posting funny pictures, recipes, or random comments, in an attempt to deflect the attention away from the OP in a troll/snert started thread. I hope we are saying the same thing, but I am not sure. ;)

I do not have any problem with people posting funny pictures, recipes, or random comments, in an attempt to deflect the attention away from the OP. I hope we are saying the same thing, but I am not sure. ;)

It was her thread asking if she could convert her car to a taxi and rent it to a taxi company by day that had me really wondering. She's banned now.

That's a good point. The thing is, it's fun when you're in on the troll hunt. But it being fun doesn't make it right of course. *sigh*

Oh Angelbee, why did you have to rain on my parade this way and make me think about the consequences? :( :D

I didn't know we were supposed to properly introduce ourselves...

What is the proper method then?

I'm new-ish. Hi.

There, am I done?

That's good. :D I don't know if I introduced myself either. I tedn to just jump into new boards myself - the complete opposite of how I am IRL BTW!

That's a good point. The thing is, it's fun when you're in on the troll hunt. But it being fun doesn't make it right of course. *sigh*

Oh Angelbee, why did you have to rain on my parade this way and make me think about the consequences? :( :D

:grouphug: sorry :)

It was her thread asking if she could convert her car to a taxi and rent it to a taxi company by day that had me really wondering. She's banned now.

:smilielol5: That's kind of funny!...I don't want to get banned, but that's a legitimate question :lol:...Times are hard :D

It is kind of funny though...

I really agree with the bolded. BUT I think that there might have been a happening of the Roasted Smoked Pig kind that made some skeedaddle, and that was NO fault of the hive, rather the Roasted Smoked Pig. That's when I stopped seeing the Right Wing.

And then for the left we have Bill, of the religion I can never remember...

:confused1: :willy_nilly: :001_huh:

I know, right? Who has this time?

:smilielol5: That's kind of funny!...I don't want to get banned, but that's a legitimate question :lol:...Times are hard :D

It is kind of funny though...

It is funny, once you try to see your whole world that way! :lol:

I could rent out my car, my washer and clothesline, my eyelash curler, my hair dryer, and my professional clothes. Oh, and the good jewelry! Homeschool moms possess all of that stuff but don't use it during the day on Monday through Friday.

:smilielol5:

If we really crack open the stereotypes, we can keep this going indefinitely.