Menu

We need to learn about eating healthfully.

The kids *and I* need to learn how to eat healthfully. How to eat a balanced diet, who needs how much/what nutrients, where to find those nutrients, etc, etc. Pretend I'm a beginner looking into the field of nutrition. Where should I start? Books? Websites?

This is more complicated than you think! Nobody seems to agree. The only thing I think most people would agree on at the end of the day is the less processed and more natural the better (avoid boxed meals, packaged cookies/crackers, etc.).

That's all I got... :D

Oh, I realize it's complicated! My brain is getting overloaded from all the information, opinions, choices...

Prescription for Nutritional Healing is an awesome book. The beginning talks about the various components of a balanced diet. It goes into detail about proteins, fats, carbs, minerals, vitamins and enzymes. It also lists almost every ailment possible and what supplements and herbs to help you through it.

They stress that to be happy you must have the proper diet, exercise and a positive attitude.

Here's what they list as the proper balance of nutrients, which they say you should get in the following order as available to you: fresh food, frozen, home canned, store canned, supplements.

Carbs 50-60% of which you should get 25 grams of fibert

Protein 50-60 grams

Fat 20-35% in the following proportions: 10% saturated, 10% poly-unsaturated, 10-15% mono-unsaturated

I've found older versions of this book at the library. Whole Foods and Sunflower Market usually have the most current version of this book on display for customers to look through. They use it as a selling resource. They want you to look up your symptom and then go pick out the supplements from their shelves. Pretty smart.

--------------

You can also look at The Zone Diet. It does a pretty good job of telling what proportions to eat. It breaks everything down into carbs, protein and fats. It teaches you how to balance those components to keep your sugar levels...um, level. LOL Get the original book, though, not the 1-2-3, it's different and I haven't researched it. I found the original book at my library.

---------------

sparkpeople.com also has some great tools. You have to register, but it doesn't cost. I love it. I can track everything I eat and all my exercise. They have a huge recipe data base, which you can add to if you want. If you use the nutrition tracker you can look at a chart of the breakdown of what you've eaten that day. I've found it extremely helpful. There's also a message board that I have not utilized yet.

----------------

I hope some of this helps you! Good luck!

Prescription for Nutritional Healing is an awesome book. The beginning talks about the various components of a balanced diet. It goes into detail about proteins, fats, carbs, minerals, vitamins and enzymes. It also lists almost every ailment possible and what supplements and herbs to help you through it.

They stress that to be happy you must have the proper diet, exercise and a positive attitude.

Here's what they list as the proper balance of nutrients, which they say you should get in the following order as available to you: fresh food, frozen, home canned, store canned, supplements.

Carbs 50-60% of which you should get 25 grams of fibert

Protein 50-60 grams

Fat 20-35% in the following proportions: 10% saturated, 10% poly-unsaturated, 10-15% mono-unsaturated

I've found older versions of this book at the library. Whole Foods and Sunflower Market usually have the most current version of this book on display for customers to look through. They use it as a selling resource. They want you to look up your symptom and then go pick out the supplements from their shelves. Pretty smart.

--------------

You can also look at The Zone Diet. It does a pretty good job of telling what proportions to eat. It breaks everything down into carbs, protein and fats. It teaches you how to balance those components to keep your sugar levels...um, level. LOL Get the original book, though, not the 1-2-3, it's different and I haven't researched it. I found the original book at my library.

---------------

sparkpeople.com also has some great tools. You have to register, but it doesn't cost. I love it. I can track everything I eat and all my exercise. They have a huge recipe data base, which you can add to if you want. If you use the nutrition tracker you can look at a chart of the breakdown of what you've eaten that day. I've found it extremely helpful. There's also a message board that I have not utilized yet.

----------------

I hope some of this helps you! Good luck!

Thank you. My library doesn't have either one :glare: but I'll check around.

I could have alot to say on the matter, but will leave it at just try to figure out what aspect of health you're trying to maximize (e.g. weight loss, anti-inflammanatory response, muscle gain, longevity) and then search for foods/diets that help that. Overall, I agree with the jury is out idea and try to eat fewer processed foods.

Here is a top 20 list of diets from USA Today for starters.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

I really love any cookbook by Tosca Reno (Eat Clean lifestyle, NOT diet!) and the magazine "Clean Eating". Veggies, whole grains, fruits... everything your body really wants you to eat! Not for everyone, but it has changed how I look at food and how I feel... been doing this for three years now and will never go back!

Hope that helps you in your quest for healthier living :001_smile:

There are certainly a lot of approaches to this.

The sanest, easiest place to start that I know of, having read many many books about this over the years, is "Food Rules" by M. Pollan. It's rational and sane, and it's the bottom line of many of the other books. If you like that, follow up with his more comprehensive book about the subject. You will be amazed if you go on to read other books about this at how much of their most credible material is netted out in Pollan's work. And Food Rules is very accessible and easy to keep in mind.

I really love any cookbook by Tosca Reno (Eat Clean lifestyle, NOT diet!) and the magazine "Clean Eating". Veggies, whole grains, fruits... everything your body really wants you to eat! Not for everyone, but it has changed how I look at food and how I feel... been doing this for three years now and will never go back!

Hope that helps you in your quest for healthier living :001_smile:

I would second Clean Eating magazine as a great resource. There are now more and more books out on clean eating. Check your library for some.

It can be complex to figure out what is healthy eating, but IME, there are a few guidelines that almost every program seems to have:

- Eat real foods -- the less processed, the better. Moving away from pre-packaged and processed foods will make a real difference in your health, but it can also be a challenge to get used to what food really tastes like if you are accustomed to the taste of processed foods. Don't be afraid to try new things.

- Eat a wide variety of foods. My personal rule of thumb is that half of the meal should be vegetables and/or salad. Leafy greens are very important, but variety, in general, is even more important.

- Eat protein AND eat carbs. Even low-carb programs do not tell you to eliminate all carbs (some very healthy veggies have carbs!). Even vegans need protein (not all protein comes from animals).

Other than that, I would suggest that you playfully experiment with new foods and new recipes. Make it fun! Dietary changes are so often met with resistance. We can get downright nasty or emotional when it comes to food. Try to keep it light-hearted and easy-going. It will make the transition much more enjoyable for all of you. When you find foods and recipes that your family enjoys, make sure you write in down and put it in your menu rotation. When something is a complete flop, laugh about it and try something else. :001_smile:

what a great goal! there is a ton of info out there; its easy to get overwhelmed.

some of the things we did years ago when we started trying to eat in a more healthy fashion:

i) we started having two fresh vegetables on the plate at dinner, and only 4 ounces of meat.

ii) we started out planning just breakfasts, and tweaking that. starting the day out well helped a lot, and i didn't have to gain tons of knowledge all at once.

we had been eating only white bread. first, we switched to cracked wheat, because it at least had the same texture. then after about six months we switched to whole wheat. then after many years we switched to multi-grain. we used the same approach for milk. started out at homogenized, moved to 2 %, moved to 1 % for a Very Long Time, and are now at non-fat milk from a dairy that does not treat its cows with hormones or antibiotics. (see, it gets more complicated as you go along, but it doesn't have to start that way, KWIM?)

we also decided that we were going to cook. every meal. now we bake most of the bread and buns, too. but no processed foods. no eating out. for those things, we went cold turkey.

things we have for breakfast that everyone likes:

(we aim for ~300 calories, with at least 5g of protein, and ~30% calories from fat at a maximum)

i) yoghurt parfaits (think mcdonald's. i buy non fat vanilla yoghurt, frozen raspberries, and maple pecan granola. checking measurements, i layer them in a wine glass. today it came out to 3/8 cup of granola, 1/2 cup nonfat yoghurt, and raspberries (we don't track fruit or veggies once we're over 5 servings a day, which we all are now all of the time)

ii) homemade chocolate zucchini bread. i make it as muffins so that everyone can track their calories (some have 3 mini muffins, some have 4)

iii) homemade carrot cake muffins with icing. i use a lowfat recipe which comes in just below 30% fat, and uses pureed fruit to replace a lot of the butter/oil.

iv) homemade oatmeal waffles

v) packaged instant oatmeal (we still haven't managed to wean ourselves off this, and i've decided that's just okay ; ).

vi) homemade pancakes

vii) boiled eggs, veggie omelettes....

vii) one piece whole grain toast with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, and coffee with cream

viii) one piece whole grain bread with one slice of cheddar cheese melted on it

and then, we worked on snacks and lunches. and then, at the end, we worked on dinners.

good luck - it is such a worthwhile goal!

ann

It's not hard!

Make 40% of your intake be grown foods (try to make half raw) (fruits/vegetables)

Make 25% of your intake be grains (wheat/cereals/rice/etc.)

Make 25% of your intake be protein (turkey/chicken/cheese/milk/eggs)

Make 10% be other (oils/fats/nuts/seeds/)

Getting more specific than that, make your veggies/fruits be colorful..opt for the black grapes, the red bell pepper, raspberries, bananas...broccoli, tomatoes, the more color variety the more nutrients you'll get.

Make your grains be whole....

Make your proteins be lean (skim milk, lean turkey etc.)

Make your oils be minimal (olive, sunflower seeds, almonds)

You'll have a great balanced diet, just avoid cheetos and brownies as daily staples...never drink your calories....and don't knock yourself if you go off one day a week, just don't make it a habit...

I have to jump in here and say that Nourishing Traditions (a book) and The Weston A. Price Foundation are very good. They promote traditional diets and good fats. You won't starve on this diet and the goal is not to lose weight - it is to be healthy. They are certainly worth consideration. At the very least have a look at the website. HTH!

I second this. I read it cover to cover, but I couldn't remember the name of it! It can be a bit overwhelming though.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Michael Pollan

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090323/7-rules-for-eating

His books are great.

:iagree:

Or, you can go the cheap/lazy route. Look at your plate. If half of the food isn't fruits/veggies, then adjust your meals/portions until it is. Worry about buying books AFTER you've done this.

I agree to start by reading any book by Michael Pollan, also Marion Nestle has some great reads. The number one way to start eating healthier is to eliminate processed foods. It can be overwhelming, definitely take it one step at a time.

I always recommend the book Refined to Real Food for anyone starting this journey. She divides the food we eat into categories (dairy, meats, etc.) and gives a chart for each of them. At one side is the "worst" food you can eat for that food (what the average American eats,) and at the other side is the very best you can do (organic, etc.) In between are steps you can take to slowly move you toward the good side. And you can decide where you stop. So maybe you are going to go all the way to the best in one category, but not in another, based on your budget and family's tastes.

The book really helps you cut through the learning process and start making immediate changes. I have read many, many nutrition books, and her recommendations are very consistent with much of the other advice out there.

For a readable, up-to-date, tell-me-what-I-need-to-do-now-at-home-and-in-the-grocery-store nutrition book, I recommend this:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/staticcontent/nutrition-divas-secrets-for-a-healthy-diet.aspx

Subtitled: What To Eat, What to Avoid, and What to Stop Worrying About.

At the link I posted, you can read two sample chapters. You can also browse her extensive website which is chockful of information. One thing this author does that I appreciate is that she takes headline health news (designed to sell papers or generate clicks) and explains the actual conclusions that are/can be drawn from the particular health study.

HTH,

Pollan is great.

In the "Eat food" quote, though, you have to understand what he means by 'food'.

His book, In Defense of Food, is excellent.

Basically, any processed foods are not "food" by his definition.

We're talking meat, fruit, veggies, whole grains, mostly home cooked.

Pollan is great.

In the "Eat food" quote, though, you have to understand what he means by 'food'.

His book, In Defense of Food, is excellent.

Basically, any processed foods are not "food" by his definition.

We're talking meat, fruit, veggies, whole grains, mostly home cooked.

Yes, and in his examples he talks about 'food that your great grandmother would recognize' as a major criterion. For instance, not goghurt, but yes to whole apples.

Perhaps I'm a rare bird, but I don't eat anything that's labeled as "low fat," or has sugar substitutes.

For example, we drink whole milk because is less processed than the lower fat varieties. We also eat butter instead of margarine, and regular mayo rather than low fat. It seems like most lower fat foods have a ton of chemicals to replace the 4-5 "real" food ingredients in the regular item.

Granted, I too need to overhaul our food choices & eating habits. However, I'm of the mindset that as long as the ingredients sound like FOOD, instead of a lab experiment, that it's probably better for our bodies than the lower fat/calorie version.

Having said that, it seems like it's nearly impossible to get food that hasn't somehow been tampered with; it's either been mechanically processed (most milks), sprayed with chemicals, gmo'ed, or gassed to artificially ripen. :glare:

Yes, and in his examples he talks about 'food that your great grandmother would recognize' as a major criterion. For instance, not goghurt, but yes to whole apples.

This is why I don't like Pollan. Basically, it boils down to "If poor people eat it, it's not food." There is so much knee-jerk class bias in his work, that goes totally unexamined and even celebrated by people who read him, that it's very, very hard for me to not have my own knee-jerk negative reaction to him. I know he makes some good points, but they get lost in his arrogance for me.

This is why I don't like Pollan. Basically, it boils down to "If poor people eat it, it's not food." There is so much knee-jerk class bias in his work, that goes totally unexamined and even celebrated by people who read him, that it's very, very hard for me to not have my own knee-jerk negative reaction to him. I know he makes some good points, but they get lost in his arrogance for me.

I disagree with you entirely.

Eating real food is usually cheaper than not. Packaging and marketing drive up the costs of the Goghurt alarmingly.

I actually think that his approach supports the poor in not feeling like they have to buy into the packaging for status reasons. I remember that dynamic from my childhood, vividly; and I see it now as well. Lunchables, for instance, are a status item in medium to low income schools around here.

Having said that, not everyone can grow their own food or order from a CSA. It would be arrogant to suggest that, but he doesn't. He just says to buy the stuff that doesn't come in fancy packages or with frankenfood ingredients. That's pretty frugal advice, actually.

:iagree:

Perhaps I'm a rare bird, but I don't eat anything that's labeled as "low fat," or has sugar substitutes.

For example, we drink whole milk because is less processed than the lower fat varieties. We also eat butter instead of margarine, and regular mayo rather than low fat. It seems like most lower fat foods have a ton of chemicals to replace the 4-5 "real" food ingredients in the regular item.

Granted, I too need to overhaul our food choices & eating habits. However, I'm of the mindset that as long as the ingredients sound like FOOD, instead of a lab experiment, that it's probably better for our bodies than the lower fat/calorie version.

Having said that, it seems like it's nearly impossible to get food that hasn't somehow been tampered with; it's either been mechanically processed (most milks), sprayed with chemicals, gmo'ed, or gassed to artificially ripen. :glare:

This is the concept behind Nourishing Traditions. We eat butter, too. :D

I forgot to tell you something that I've done that I'm pretty sure lowered my cholesterol. I cut my butter with Sunflower Oil. So put 1# of butter in a blender with 16 oz of Sunflower Oil and blend until smooth. Just recently I started using 8 oz of Sunflower Oil and 8oz of Olive Oil with the butter. Everything is natural but you get right balance of omegas.

Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman is a good place to start. It's marketed as a weight loss/diet book, but the advice given about what types of food to eat would work for anyone. Even if you just look at the information in there about his version of the food pyramid, it's worth a peek.

I am reading this right now. It makes so much sense to me, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around just how much produce I would need to eat in a week.

For example, I drink water, lots of it. The only other thing I drink is 1 cup of oj a day. I understand about the sugar rush. This week, I bought oranges instead. It's kind of a pain and kind of a mess.

I make my own bread. I even grind my own wheat, but I finely grind it and that is bad because it converts to sugar too easily. I buy whole wheat kaiser rolls, sub rolls, tortillas, pita bread. If I read the labels, they all have something "enriched" in it. How do I eliminate it all?

Add to that, my one experience attempting to go vegetarian helped me go anemic, which I still struggle with years later. Makes me a little leery of trying the experiment again.

Then, there's the fact that heart attack and cancer, which he is very concerned about, don't run in my family. Mental illness rather than physical illness runs in my family. Why would I want to live to a ripe old age with that on the horizon? Sigh.

Would you be willing to elaborate on how you eat now?