Menu

Vent-It's not HS'ing that makes my kids act the way they do sometimes

I am just sick of this. If my kids have an "off" day where they just want to be alone or are fighting more than usual or are a bit snarky, it is not because they are HS'd. It's because they are having an "off" day. If you are going to blame HS'ing for every idiosyncracy or uncharactistically bad behavior my child has on any given day, then I should be able to blame public school every time your child is naughty.

That is all.

I am just sick of this. If my kids have an "off" day where they just want to be alone or are fighting more than usual or are a bit snarky, it is not because they are HS'd. It's because they are having an "off" day. If you are going to blame HS'ing for every idiosyncracy or uncharactistically bad behavior my child has on any given day, then I should be able to blame public school every time your child is naughty.

That is all.

:iagree: And we seem to be having a lot of "off" days lately.

99% of the world is public schooled so should we blame every bad thing that happens on public school? Wars? Psycho murderers? Drunk drivers rampaging through pedestrians? Those are some people who are having seriously bad days.

It is frustrating. Why can't we just say they are who they are and they are having a good or bad day (or life) because that is who they are at the moment? I think homeschool is an easy and lazy excuse/target.

It's an illusory correlation. Kids acting out get an undue amount of attention. Kids who are homeschooled are not the norm, so that fact gets an undue amount of attention. The two "strange" occurrences become linked in people's minds.

(But I will say, in some instances, it seems like there is something to it. I've known HSers who pulled kids out of school because they were sick of dealing with calls from the principal. So in those cases, there may be something to it. But I do believe that is the rare exception).

I agree. I get so incredibly frustrated when people want to blame homeschooling for a personality or character trait.

The home schooled kid is shy -- "he/she must not be socialized because he/she is home schooled"

Um, NO!! JUST SHY!!!

The home schooled kid prefers to keep his/her nose in a book -- "he/she must not be allowed to participate in 'normal' kid activities because he/she is home schooled"

Again, NO!! The kid just happens to prefer reading. PERIOD.

The home schooled kid is verbose and expresses his/her opinion --"he/she must talk a lot and express opinions because he/she isn't in school and gets to talk whenever he/she wants at home during school."

NO!! The kid is just verbose.

The home schooled kid exhibits a poor attitude/smarts off/sasses back -- "he/she wouldn't act that way if he/she were in REAL school, because that wouldn't be tolerated."

REALLY???

I could go on and on and on. . . .but I digress

Nah, it's not homeschooling, it's their DNA. They're human. Try curing that.

Rosie

LOL I agree. You can't cure DNA! It's a good reminder that we hsers should be a bit more careful about speaking harshly about 'naughty' schooled children. It's not school, it's personality, neuro issues, parental bonding, personality dynamics, lack of protein, exhaustion, food allergies, sensory overload etc etc etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

Who is blaming?

At present it's my MIL. She seems to be of the opinion that if I sent the kids to PS (or the private school where she teaches) that they would no longer fight over the best spot on the couch at her house because they would know how to get along with other kids. She thinks that they would love clean-up time if they were at regular school because obviously I don't make them clean up at home. :glare: She thinks DD would not burst into tears (after being exhausted from a day that included 2 picnics, swimming at our lake, dinner at the grandparents, and losing a tooth) if she were only exposed to the behaviors of all of the other children at PS...

At present it's my MIL. She seems to be of the opinion that if I sent the kids to PS (or the private school where she teaches) that they would no longer fight over the best spot on the couch at her house because they would know how to get along with other kids. She thinks that they would love clean-up time if they were at regular school because obviously I don't make them clean up at home. :glare: She thinks DD would not burst into tears (after being exhausted from a day that included 2 picnics, swimming at our lake, dinner at the grandparents, and losing a tooth) if she were only exposed to the behaviors of all of the other children at PS...

;)How sweet. She wants to see more of your kids and show them off to her friends at work.:grouphug:

:glare: She thinks DD would not burst into tears (after being exhausted from a day that included 2 picnics, swimming at our lake, dinner at the grandparents, and losing a tooth) if she were only exposed to the behaviors of all of the other children at PS...

:grouphug: You'll all outgrow this.

Late dh's mom told me once that my kids were not athletic because they were hsed and didn't know how to join in the soccer game. Ummmm.....no late dh nor I were athletic and we were both hsed. Our kids just took after us! They know exactly how to join childhood play with others if they enjoy the activity.

If it makes you feel any better, my aunt implied today that my kids were being bad because I am a stay at home mom.

Yeah...that felt good.:tongue_smilie:

Yes, I have had something similar with my MIL. When one of our boys wasn't walking yet, she said if we were to put him into daycare, he would start walking and talking quicker. She says that is what my sister in law did with her daughter and she just started talking and walking right away.

When asked how old said neice was, she said about a year. Ummmm....don't most children start walking around a year old anyway! C'mon people, think!

Story update: My son ended up having cerebral palsy and wouldn't have started walking if he was in daycare anyway. In the meantime, I feel like a bad mom because I don't put my kids in daycare. I choose to be a stay-at-home mom! :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: You'll all outgrow this.

I have not outgrown it. I'm 40, went to ps, and would still burst into tears at the end of a day like that. I might have a meltdown in the middle of a day like that. That is just waaaaaaaay too much input for me to handle gracefully. :001_smile:

We all have our iffy spots.