Menu

Do your kids go to skate board parks?

My son is crazy over this, but he is the only person there under 13. Most are 15+. There is some bad language (he rushed over to tell me cover my ears) and smoking, but no drugs, broken glass, and no one that looks "scary". He sometimes says they make fun of him for not having the long baggy shorts, but he doesn't seem crushed by this. He says it is lonely there without anyone to play with, but he'd rather be there than at the playground where other 9 year old boys are playing tag. This passion is at least 2 years old.

He seems capable for age, is clearly cautious, but even after a collision with a skinned ear, he still is hot to go back, although he prefers to go early before the crowds, so he doesn't have to worry about the (not allowed) bikes all over.

Has skateboarding gone out of style, and therefore kids his age aren't picking it up (I somehow doubt this) or do kids start later? Will his peers join him?

We only go when public school is in session, so if there is anyone there it will be 18+. (Usually it is empty when we go early in the morning). Language is a concern for us, as is lack of common courtesy regarding ramp etiquette. It makes me just want to build a half pipe in the backyard like a friend of mine did! Instead we will continue going early and will leave if crudeness persists. We really haven't had any major incidents though. I think also that younger kids don't go to the parks as much but hone their skills in parking lots or at home until they are bigger.

Ds used to go. We usually went early or during school hours. There was occasionally another homeschooled boy his age there. A few older boys showed up every now and then. They were all really nice and even tried to help ds learn some. If we went during "normal" hours, it was packed and dangerous. SMoking, drinking, fights. Not very well patrolled.

Another park we sometimes went to (much larger/better but further away) had a real problem with bikes (which were allowed!!). Bikes and skateboards just do not mix. It was still not an environment I was very comfortable with. I heavily discouraged his interest. Okay, I just plain found reasons we couldn't go an awful lot.

Yes. My boys have often gone to skate parks. The "deal" is that if they can't control their language and behavior while there (that I observe, now that my oldest is 16, I often leave them), they do not get to go for "X" amount of time.

They did observe drug activity a while pack at a local indoor park (now closed). As you know, there is skater centered dress, and drug culture. OTOH, that is only a sub-set of skaters, and there are also skaters for the sake of skating.

I'm not sure where you live, but skater-culture is still represented in large number here.

This is an aside, but I find the rhythm at a skate park mezmerizing and interesting. The understood rules about the skating and the way the kids manage to avoid collisions is kinda cool.

My nearly 10 year old started skateboarding last April at a half-day camp. He loves it. He just finished another camp and wants me to take him to the skatepark 'all the time'. This park is run by the local rec dept. and is closed during school hours, which is a bit disappointing to my son, but I don't know how much fun he'd have there by himself. He loves watching and learning from the other kids. There are also lots of kids there younger than him.

Gosh, the kids here wear anything from regular shorts and tees to skinny jeans and baggy jeans and dress shirts with ties!!! All unique, but there are a few who were 'skater clothes', I guess.

We've never seen drugs or smoking, but perhaps that's because it is supervised by rec. staff.

My son is crazy over this, but he is the only person there under 13. Most are 15+. There is some bad language (he rushed over to tell me cover my ears) and smoking, but no drugs, broken glass, and no one that looks "scary". He sometimes says they make fun of him for not having the long baggy shorts, but he doesn't seem crushed by this. He says it is lonely there without anyone to play with, but he'd rather be there than at the playground where other 9 year old boys are playing tag. This passion is at least 2 years old.

He seems capable for age, is clearly cautious, but even after a collision with a skinned ear, he still is hot to go back, although he prefers to go early before the crowds, so he doesn't have to worry about the (not allowed) bikes all over.

Has skateboarding gone out of style, and therefore kids his age aren't picking it up (I somehow doubt this) or do kids start later? Will his peers join him?

Bring him to our house. :D My 9 yr old ds loves skateboarding! Dh built him a little ramp in the backyard because the skatepark was intimidating for him. Not because of the other kids but because the ramps were MUCH higher than he was expecting.

My middle son skates. He is, unfortunately, part of the "skater culture." You can love to skate and not be a part of the culture, but you will probably be exposed to it at some point if you continue to skate (I mean your child and general you).

You have to be very careful here, as it is more than a certain style of dress and speech. Not only drugs are prevalent, but also "attitude"--defying authorities, including police and parents. That's because many skaters (not vert as much) want to use places not designed for skating--and have to break the law to do so. Parking decks, public places with fountains and rails and stairs, office building parks, etc. provide lots of tempting challenges for skaters. The drug part of the culture is boosted and encouraged by brands like Billabong.

It started so subtly for us--we loved VANS skate park. The kids took turns, encouraged each other, didn't diss each other for being less skilled--I really liked taking him there! It was a mix of ages and styles, well-run and so much fun. It seemed completely wholesome.

But, there's a culture attached to it all, as I said, so just be cautious and maybe go to a park with supervision, and (this is purely my opinion, ymmv) don't allow online skater sites, shows or magazines, or skater clothes unless they are from companies that have a more wholesome image. I think watching competitions on TV (X-Games, for example) is fine, but again, be aware.

My middle son skates. He is, unfortunately, part of the "skater culture." You can love to skate and not be a part of the culture, but you will probably be exposed to it at some point if you continue to skate (I mean your child and general you).

You have to be very careful here, as it is more than a certain style of dress and speech. Not only drugs are prevalent, but also "attitude"--defying authorities, including police and parents. That's because many skaters (not vert as much) want to use places not designed for skating--and have to break the law to do so. Parking decks, public places with fountains and rails and stairs, office building parks, etc. provide lots of tempting challenges for skaters. The drug part of the culture is boosted and encouraged by brands like Billabong.

It started so subtly for us--we loved VANS skate park. The kids took turns, encouraged each other, didn't diss each other for being less skilled--I really liked taking him there! It was a mix of ages and styles, well-run and so much fun. It seemed completely wholesome.

But, there's a culture attached to it all, as I said, so just be cautious and maybe go to a park with supervision, and (this is purely my opinion, ymmv) don't allow online skater sites, shows or magazines, or skater clothes unless they are from companies that have a more wholesome image. I think watching competitions on TV (X-Games, for example) is fine, but again, be aware.

Same here. Middle son loved skating and was quite good, but then he hung out with other skaters and one led to the other.

A policeman told me if he sees skaters or those dressed as skaters he will check them out due to the high use of pot with this crowd.

As for skate parks, my son did go to several that were well monitored by a park employee, These were run strictly, kept clean and the skaters were well behaved and would even teach the younger skaters. Apparently these type of parks are for those who skate for the sake of skating, not for the culture attached to some groups of skating.

Yes. My boys have often gone to skate parks. The "deal" is that if they can't control their language and behavior while there (that I observe, now that my oldest is 16, I often leave them), they do not get to go for "X" amount of time.

:lol: That was my technique for sarcasm learned at the Y. Kiddo knows, now, there is one way to talk to me and another to his same-age foosball pals at the Y, when no grown ups are on hand.

So far, kiddo is very aware there are some kids who are unsavory. I asked him how he and his father find skateboard parks on their travels. He lowered his voice and said "We ask a boy who isn't dressed very nicely", as if he is embarrassed for him.

The two parks I've taken him two are both on busy streets, I've seen police going by, and are right next to swings and toddler play areas. Because of my job and my 60s childhood I absolutely know what MJ smells like, am acutely aware of what intoxication looks like, and am up on the slang words. I don't see any drugs. I'm not going to pretend they'd all pass the pee test, but I don't see the activity here. Also, we are years away from kiddo ever going there by himself. He'd have to be old enough to drive.

It is sort of cute seeing his long bony self up at the top of a ramp waiting for the big boys to clear out enough to sneak in a pass. I am reminded of the time I once landed at a big airport in a little plane. The pilot, informed of what to do, toodled along one way as a big plane thundered down, did a quick U turn, popped onto the ground, and swerved out of the way, as another big plane landed right behind us and thundered past.

BTW, kiddos true passion is downhill skiing, but it isn't a summer activity, nor can we do it daily. And, when his dad is along, he skateboards or rollerstakes, too, and is 40 years older than all the other guys. :D I sit with my books and re-read SWR. All the boys know there is a parent right there.

My 10yo ds looooooves going to the skate park. Often he is the youngest by far, though not always. We live in a large city, though, and skateboarding is more a part of the culture here.

I do not allow him to go alone because I do not trust those older boys at all. Just earlier this month I broke up a fight near the skate park between two teens. Often my ds ignores the bigger guys and the language. Sometimes, though, if one of them knows some good tricks, my ds will approach and ask for advice on technique. Sometimes whoever ds approached will tell him no and to just go skate around, but often the older kid will actually help ds for a few minutes.

Because of our urban setting and also because the boys there are so much older (and often obviously rougher) I or dh always goes with ds.

We're in a smaller town, but our town has a skate park. We've not been there, although I'd love to try. I skated some in my (much) younger years.

You see some skater attire here, which doesn't phase me. I was sort of shocked the other day as I hear the N word being yelled right outside my window. One boy on a skateboard was yelling out (in a good, hello type of way)to another two boys. They were all Caucasian, and the N word raises my hackles more than a little bit. At that point I was kind of glad ds had not expressed desire to go skating. :glare:

My nearly 10 year old started skateboarding last April at a half-day camp. He loves it. He just finished another camp and wants me to take him to the skatepark 'all the time'. This park is run by the local rec dept. and is closed during school hours, which is a bit disappointing to my son, but I don't know how much fun he'd have there by himself. He loves watching and learning from the other kids. There are also lots of kids there younger than him.

Gosh, the kids here wear anything from regular shorts and tees to skinny jeans and baggy jeans and dress shirts with ties!!! All unique, but there are a few who were 'skater clothes', I guess.

We've never seen drugs or smoking, but perhaps that's because it is supervised by rec. staff.

This sounds similar to the skate park we go to. The skater part is enclosed with a locking gate so that it is off limits at certain hours. There is video surveillance of the skate park at all times. There is adult supervision. We've been pleased that other than seeing a "uniform" of sorts in skater attire, there has been no bad language, no drugs and no graffiti.

Yep---same here with us! At first, it was refreshing to have ds and dd rush to get out of the house to go and skate---healthy exercise and all and lots of kids were knew down there in our small town. We were quite slow to pick up what all the rasta colored stuff our son wanted meant....:001_huh: One of the benefits to homeschooling, though, is that stuff doesn't go on long since we are together SO much. The skate culture, unfortunately, is very alcohol and pot saturated. No different than the surf culture, but not something we want our kids doing. Immersion in that junk didn't last long with our kids or get out of hand at all----the nice thing is word got around that we freaked out and the kids now respect that our kids don't get involved in that junk. The worst part was seeing ds's 2 former best friends (from church no less :glare:) become TOTAL pot heads and cigarette smokers and drinkers!!! I told one of the mom's, and apparently she discounted my concerns because her ds denied doing anything. :001_huh: DS is NOT allowed to spend any time with them or have them over any more. I WISH the skate culture would clean up---it's GREAT exercise and so neat to see the passion of kids who really are interested in getting better.

At your ds's age, I wouldn't let him have too long unsupervised at any skate park. And give some serious education about the 'culture' part of it---encourage him to start the new 'clean and dry' skate culture. Which is what we are encouraging ds to do. There IS a skater, I think Shawn White, who IS clean and sober and is open about it.

Same here. Middle son loved skating and was quite good, but then he hung out with other skaters and one led to the other.

A policeman told me if he sees skaters or those dressed as skaters he will check them out due to the high use of pot with this crowd.

As for skate parks, my son did go to several that were well monitored by a park employee, These were run strictly, kept clean and the skaters were well behaved and would even teach the younger skaters. Apparently these type of parks are for those who skate for the sake of skating, not for the culture attached to some groups of skating.

The cops raid our skate park often, but only for certain kids. Our police force is corrupt and saturated with Good Old Boys and Good Old Families. Fortunately, my dh is well liked in town and our kids have been spared problems even though they are friends with many of the druggies (SMALL town, not much choice in friends if you don't play ball sports or go to THE public school), but warned by us the cops know who they hang out with and they need to be very careful NEVER to go to the pot/drug houses in town. Drug use and alcohol use is very accepted in the youth in this town, punishment is pretty much non-existent and certainly not a deterrent. Our skate park is actually pretty nice for how small and remote we are, but definitely a hot spot for drug deals and drug use. We never let our kids there without us when they were young :001_huh:

Awesome! It must be nice to live in the Civilized World---I've heard about it but haven't experienced it in 17 years living here :001_huh:

My son is at one right now, lol. The ones here are indoors mostly, because of the heat and rain, so no smoking. Just loud. He is actually at one of the two Van's skate parks in the country this morning, with some homeschooled friends, as it is a free day today to celebrate back to school. He's been skating since he was 10, and is pretty serious about it. He does wear the baggy shorts, the skater tshirts, and a Vans hat at all times, but doesn't swear and would never touch drugs or alcohol. (seriously...in my family culture children are offered tiny glasses of wine at holidays, and he won't touch it....he has control issues and doesn't want anything to reduce his control of his body). Anyway, no, it isn't out of fashion, at least here. Several of his friends skate, and my husband has fun doing it with him too! I like it because it is a culture where is Asperger's tendencies don't stick out as much. He can look kind of aloof, and no one thinks anything of it there.

I think the key here is supervision. My dh goes with him, and skates too, so it isn't as if my son could get in any trouble really. And his friends that skate are all nice kids, not druggies or anything. I know those types skate too, and when I was in highschool that was a majority of them, but around here I don't see the same thing. They are more serious, more athletic, than that.

My dh says the open ones, with no one working or monitoring, open all the time, seem to attract the less desirable crowd in his experience. He and our oldest have been to a couple park. He saw the language and shady activity play out in parks that were not monitored. Our local park, which is monitored and attended, may still have some of that, but not to the extent of the open ones.

My dh is a pretty open, go with the flow type of guy. After a recent visit to a new, unmonitored park he came home a bit disappointed in the behavior and attitude of some of the kids. He said you could tell these kids were just using the park as a gathering, hang out place, not to actually skate. He now opts to visit those types of parks when school is in session. :)

We do not and would not allow our son to go to a skate park unattended at his age. He did do a summer camp through the rec department this summer at the skate park, but he and the other campers were skating in the morning before the park was open to the public. It was a great price and a great way for him to gain a little more comfort on the ramps without the intimidation and pressure of older, more experienced skaters.

My dh took the kids early in the day over summer break, before it got hot. Usually there wasn't anyone else there (skaters must not get up before 9am, maybe?). The kids couldn't go on their own, even if they wanted to--too far away.

My brother was huge into skateboarding (no local skateparks back then), and he and his skater friends lived up to the stereotype. Interestingly, he doesn't let his own kids go to the skatepark.