Menu

Can somebody explain detention to me?

Yikes. I was spanked in front of the class, with my pants pulled down, when I was in preschool. Then I was put in a closet for a very long period of time. I think because I got up from my table without permission to ask a question?

Bring on Italian schools! I'm not afraid of Mama's shoe!

Yikes. I was spanked in front of the class, with my pants pulled down, when I was in preschool. Then I was put in a closet for a very long period of time. I think because I got up from my table without permission to ask a question?

Bring on Italian schools! I'm not afraid of Mama's shoe!

This beats all; seriously, was your mother upset? Or were you too embarrassed to tell her? You poor thing.:( I remember having a hard time seeing another child being spanked in the classroom in preschool. I didn't want to go back :(

The boys' school required parental permission before a child leaves school early - we send a note in with the child, or call the office. The children are not allowed to use mobile phones during the school day - the elementary kids have to hand them in at the office at the beginning of the day; the senior school kids just have to turn them off and leave them in their pockets. I think the ban from leaving school stops at age 16, but I'm not sure. The school is in loco parentis, so wants to know where children are. The school gates aren't locked though - well, actually the gate closest to the smallest classes (age 4 or so) is locked, but just so children don't run onto the road.

They just ask to leave the class to go to the toilet if they need to.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Detention is a stupid & useless "punishment" that I refused to let my kids be a part of back when they were in PS. :rolleyes: Dd14 was given it on two occasions in the fifth grade (we pulled her out at the end of that year) and I just showed up to fetch her at the usual time and took her home.

I went to boarding school. Our "detention" was Saturday morning and usually involved a shovel and digging somewhere on campus or hauling wood. It was around 2-3 hours of hard labor.

Along with the detention we got a demerit on our record. I think it was 12 demerits in a year and you got expelled.

I only got 2 my entire high school years (not sure they gave them in the younger years) and I deserved them. :D

Dawn

This beats all; seriously, was your mother upset? Or were you too embarrassed to tell her? You poor thing.:( I remember having a hard time seeing another child being spanked in the classroom in preschool. I didn't want to go back :(

Oh, no, I told her immediately. She was livid.

It has become one of those really weird memories of childhood.

Passes weren't commonly used when I was in school, but when I was teaching, the move was not only to passes, but to student IDs as well, even in elementary levels, and the reason was that there were so many strange situations that the adults needed to know where the kids were and who they were and where they were supposed to be. For example, you couldn't just let a child leave with a parent mid-day unless you were sure that this parent truly had custody and was allowed to take the child out of school mid-day. There were also problems, even at the elementary school level, of kids arranging to meet in the bathroom at a set time, for purposes that could be fairly innocent (wanting to pull one over on the adults and see their friends) or could be "let's beat up Johnny-he ALWAYS asks to go to the bathroom before lunch". At the secondary level, drugs and drug deals become a concern, and at that level it's not that uncommon to have passes bound into a student's planner so that there's a written record of where the student was when.

Yes, my experiences teaching in the public schools are one reason why I homeschool.

I was a detention QUEEN! I got it for everything from not doing my homework (7th grade math, mostly), to cutting class, to hanging out in the hallways AFTER class.

I didn't mind detention. Most of my friends were there. :tongue_smilie:

Ds got a few "detentions" in 3rd and 4th grade. For not turning in assignments. Their version of detention was staying in during recess.

During detention you SIT THERE - no reading, talking, homework - NOTHING- just thinking - no sleeping either.

That's how the schools my dd has attended do it. Detention is a punishment. It is not a chance to catch up on homework, read, or sleep. It's a time to sit there, bored.

The same with in-school suspension. You sit alone in a room all day with nothing to do. At dd's schools, you also receive a zero for all the work done that day although, unlike out-of-school suspension, you can make up the work for half-credit if you want to. If you have out-of-school suspension, your work gets a zero with no chance to make it up.

Tara

:grouphug:

That was in Italy?!?!?!

I was in Vienna during preschool, but in my 12 (skipped one) years of Italian schools, I have never heard of or witnessed scenes which involved closets, pants pulled down, etc. I am not saying they were not happening somewhere else without me knowing, it is probable - there are people who mistreat children everywhere, so why not among Italian teachers too - but nothing even close to that was around me.

My memories of earlier years are mostly blurred, I remember high school very well because it was such an awesome period of my life, but not so much years before it. I do not recall much violence, only a typical dose of yelling, threatening, being kicked out and maybe some offensive remarks.

Now, how discipline was handled within each family - that differed. I have no idea what was happening in individual families after the parents have been informed by school that the kid is making problems, failing, too absent, in a danger of not being promoted or things like that and how violently they dealt with it with their children. But typically, in *my* experience, school did not presume too much of a "parental role" when it came to these things, so they informed parents and let them deal with it.

Of course, that was back in the days when parents being informed by the school of such things was still largely a shame, and when parents did not threaten teachers and the role of the teacher was on the whole more respected, etc. So maybe the atmosphere was different, I bet the things have changed meanwhile.

Edited by Ester Maria

:grouphug:

That was in Italy?!?!?!

No, no, sorry, my story sort of interjected itself in the middle of this discussion, I have never been to Italy. Sorry for the confusion.

But typically, in *my* experience, school did not presume too much of a "parental role" when it came to these things, so they informed parents and let them deal with it.

;) yep. Mama and her shoe....

I personally find in whole in loco parentis idea coupled with a prisonlike environment, just too much for me. I don't want my kids to deal with that.

At my faculty meetings this week, our principal stressed that we need to know where all the dc are at all times, because if something happened to one of them, our school could be sued out of existence in the blink of an eye. So, no, no students wandering off wherever they please.

Sure. There was supposedly some closet in my highschool where people "got busy."

Yeah, after I caught two young people in a stairwell my students said, "But Mrs. S----------, don't you know that's where all the kids go to do it?:001_huh: They also informed me that the auditorium was also popular.

Be aware...no one in the history of US schools has EVER attended a school quite like that one :).

I read "High School Confidential", which is an alleged memoir of a college graduate going undercover at a contemporary US high school (I suspect it's more fiction than memoir), and one of the things the author/narrator said was that by being in high school in the 2000s, he missed the "John Hughes" high school-popularized by movies like the Breakfast Club, which was a time when "teenagers mattered". Having gone to high school in that era, I have to say that high school wasn't like that in the 80s, either!

Well?

My high school was also nothing like that but I do have a fondness for the John Hughes movies.

Watched! With many interruptions and in two sittings, but I made it through till the end. :tongue_smilie:

You know another thing I found weird which I remembered watching it?

Those doors in the schools, which have that little window. We never had such doors, one could not see what was going on inside a classroom - only hear if the walls were too thin or voices too loud.

Detention is when you do something during class, usually out of mind numbing boredom or dislike for the class, that upsets the teacher. Things like not reading the assignment, fidgeting, talking out of turn. As a punishment, you given further opportunity to be further bored out of your mind or to develop an even greater dislike for the class by being forced to spend more time in a similar environment, usually sitting in silent room with a bunch of other sullen children. In theory, during detention you can only do the prescribed activity. Read, home work, copying sentences, cleaning desks.

Suspension is when student who don't want to be in class are punished with not having to be in class.

Welcome to the lack of logic that is American public schools.:tongue_smilie:

Those doors in the schools, which have that little window. We never had such doors, one could not see what was going on inside a classroom - only hear if the walls were too thin or voices too loud.

And not just any window...made of glass that cannot be broken! Aaaaaaah

Anyway, what did you think?

I'll say, everyone in the John Hughes teen flicks looks about 15 years older than anyone I went to school with. We had about three boys with muscles, and one with facial hair. Sheesh.

Our school is taking out any doors that don't have a window, and our principal has stressed that we are never to be alone with a student.