Menu

The Southern Ocean?!?!?!?!?!?

I heard about it a couple of years ago but have ignored the information much like I ignore the decision that Pluto is not a planet. My kids were not taught about the Southern Ocean in PS, and all of them were born after 2000 and learned about continents and oceans while in school. It isn't on our maps or globe at home either. I think I will teach it to them this year, however. It makes sense to me after reading a bit more about it. We have been learning about Antarctica this month and after reading and watching a lot on it, I can see why they say that area deserves to be considered a different or its own ocean.

I heard about it a couple of years ago but have ignored the information much like I ignore the decision that Pluto is not a planet.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I do teach Pluto as an "icy dwarf" but I'm ignoring the "Southern Ocean" and any claims that articles are a subset of adjectives rather than their own part of speech, or that one adds an 's to plural possessives rather than just an apostrophe :D

Guest AnniePat

Well I don't know about the Southern Ocean being "new" :001_huh: because as far as I know, it's always been exactly that. Then again, it's local to me as I am Australian and when I was in primary (elementary) school in the 1960's we were taught that particular part of the ocean was called the Southern Ocean. So there you go, we must learn different geography down here south of the equator. :001_smile:

Anne in South Australia

Yes there is. Its the Atlantapacifiartindiansouth LOL. When I was a kid I never understood how they decided where one ended and the other started :lol:

I must have gone to the really OLD schools where I was taught it was Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic. :tongue_smilie:And I always wondered why the southern waters of Antarctica didn't get to name their oceania.

Wikipedia lists five oceans,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ocean on the right side of the page.

;)

I'm out the loop on that one too. Our globe, which was purchased a couple years ago, has South Pacific and South Atlantic.

What do you call the Australian Continent? Recently I've seen Australasia and Oceania (on out globe).

Australasia includes New Zealand and few other island while Oceania includes all the South Pacific Islands, but from what I understand by the true definition of an continent only Australia is a continent?

Edited by Tam101

I am a rebel and I call it the Arctic Southern Ocean.

Antarctic? We don't have an Arctic down here! :tongue_smilie:

As long as you don't call the collective rest of them the "Oceans of Northern Aggression" :D

Bil

:rofl:

Ah! That puts TXMary's comment into context! *shakes fist at TXMary's aquatic imperialism*

What do you call the Australian Continent? Recently I've seen Australasia and Oceania (on out globe).

Australasia includes New Zealand and few other island while Oceania includes all the South Pacific Islands, but from what I understand by the true definition of an continent only Australia is a continent?

Oh no! Here we go!

Yep, the Australia shaped lump of dirt and witchetty grubs I'm camped on here is the continent of Australia. The only mob we share it with are these few jokers. But they are too silly to pay official attention to.

I'm surprised Australasia is even on your globe.

Rosie

If we decide that Oceania is a continent, then Australia is downgraded to a country within the continent of Oceania, and no longer considered a continent?

You can decide whatever you like. But this is our dirt so we don't care what you say! You're just jealous because we are a continent and a country and you're not! *blows raspberries* :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Besides, if you are going to pull a stunt like that, you'd better look out for those New Zealanders. They'll come after you and beat you with legs of lamb because they don't want to share a continent with us.

Rosie

If Australia remains a continent, then what continent is New Zealand on?

They proudly consider themselves continent free, but part of the region known as Oceania and its sub-category, Australasia.

(If I'm wrong, Keptwoman will come and beat me with a leg of lamb and renew her threats to make me a pumpkin pie. So don't think I'll get away with spreading misinformation.)

Rosie

As long as you don't call the collective rest of them the "Oceans of Northern Aggression" :D

Bil

Oh Bill, no you didn't. :001_huh:

Wait for it, wait for it.

:lol:

Rosie

Actually, Oceania is on our globe, I found Australasia in a wildlife puzzle book that divides the wildlife by continent. Since then my son insists that Australasia is a continent. Oh the confusion! But I believe I have it figured out now and can set him straight. :lol:

Oh no! Here we go!

Yep, the Australia shaped lump of dirt and witchetty grubs I'm camped on here is the continent of Australia. The only mob we share it with are these few jokers. But they are too silly to pay official attention to.

Rosie

Oh, oh, oh...I met the Prince of Hutt River at the Royal Melbourne Show when I was six. It was very exciting, and confusing lol.