Menu

What are you reading and loving right now?

I just finished Alice LaPlante's debut novel Turn of Mind. It is a bit terrifying how well she draws you into the main character's growing disorientation from Alzheimer's, but I read it straight through at one sitting and have recommended it to almost everyone I know. I'd say it might be a hard read if someone close to you is suffering from the disease, but the author's mother suffered from Alzheimer's and her empathy for the main character's battle for lucidity in the face of a murder investigation shows.

ETA: NPR's review was called like The Haunted House Is In Your Head.

Edited by Scotia

Currently about to finish volume three of Elswyth Thane's "Williamsburg Series" entitled Ever After. Read this seven-volume series many long years ago and decided to reread it. Each historical fiction volume centers around a war - vol. one = American Revolution; vol. two = Civil War; vol. three = Spanish/American War.

This is from Wikipedia:

Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of two families from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. In later books, the action moves from Williamsburg to New York City, Richmond, Virginia and England. The novels are, in chronological order:

Dawn's Early Light (1943)

Yankee Stranger (1944)

Ever After (1945)

The Light Heart (1947)

Kissing Kin (1948)

This Was Tomorrow (1951)

Homing (1957)

I am eagerly looking forward to completing the series! :)

I just finished The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (LOVED IT!) and am now starting The Man Who was Thursday by GK Chesterton. Both were recommended by people and I'm so glad I stumbled across the recommendations because I would have never read them otherwise. So what are you reading and loving right now?

Have you read Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone? I loved that one too.

I'm reading Lisa See's Dreams of Joy.

I have a little time off between summer and fall semesters and I read 4 books in 5 days. I read "the Baby Catcher", "Tales of a Woman Homesteader", "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Written by Herself" and "Witches, Midwives, and Nurses". I am going to read a manuscript that a friend wrote that is on its way to the editor and another book written by a friend's husband called "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford. I started it when it first came out but also started school and was toooooo busy to finish it but it is an excellent book....and it was a Jeopardy question a few weeks ago.

I just finished the Yearling, which I absolutely loved. I enjoyed every sentence in that book. Wow, I'm still just a bit stunned at how great the writing was.

I had avoided that book my whole life since the movie traumatized me as a child. :tongue_smilie::lol: Now, I am urging and urging my kids to read it. So. good.

And I would like to stand with all the Wilkie Collins lovers out there. His stories really carry me away.

Oooo- I just started The Monuments Men, and so far it's very interesting.

Edited by Natalieclare

Have you read Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone? I loved that one too.

That's funny - I'm reading it now (in 100th time). :D

Also, "The Gift of Fear" - not exactly enjoyable, but very useful.

And, "Republic of SHKID". It's about an orphanage in Soviet Russia.

I'm almost halfway through The Help!

One of very favorite books. :D

Right now I'm reading Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg. This is my second Flagg book. I started them based on some recommendations from friends and am really enjoying them.

In the last couple of weeks I've read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Geography of Bliss and adored both of them!!

Yes, as you know, I love Fannie Flagg and The Geography of Bliss :D. I'm going to look into A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Confessions of a Prairie B!tch: How I Survived Nellie Olsen and Learned to Love Being Hated by Allison Arngrim. Excellent funny read - but I feel the need to give warning that she details s3xu@l abuse she survived as a child in the book.

I really, really want to read this. It's been on my wish list since I first heard about it from someone here, probably from you.

That totally blows about the abuse :glare:. I had no idea. How very, very sad.

Which one of his books did you enjoy most? And which would be best for a lively discussion among wine-swilling women??? Our book group will read anything, and I would like to choose non-fiction for my next selection.

You didn't ask me, but I would say "Outliers".

Room by Emma Donoghue.

I liked this book a lot, even though it was very disturbing. It's not a book that I loved, loved, loved. But I definitely liked it very much.

I love Lisa See. Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? It is amazing!!!

Love that book!!! Peony in Love is good too. I just read the story of the See family - On Gold Mountain and it is fascinating. I'm trying to decide if I want to see the Snow Flower movie. I did love the book. I'm not sure I want to risk the movie, kwim?

ETA: Right now I'm reading Cecilia, or Memoirs of an Heiress by Fanny Burney. I posted last week about the Maria Edgeworth books I'd been enjoying and found these through reviews I read of the others. Apparently, Jane Austen got the name Pride and Prejudice from this book. I just started it last night, so we'll see!

Edited by TXMomof4

I just read, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in less than 24 hours. It was one of those, "This book is going everywhere with me until it's done" reads...

I've got the next two on hold at the library.

I'm late to the game because I hate reading the "hot" book of the time. I didn't start HP until Deathly Hallows was published. :D

I've also got the newest Mary Doria Russell book on Doc Holliday at home waiting for my return. It's good but she's done better, IMO.

After finishing those, it'll be time to find another "classic" to really stretch the brain. :)

Edited by Jennifer3141

What To Look for in a Classroom by Alfie Kohn.

I'm not exactly loving it, but it's somewhat interesting. I find his books more thought provoking than Malcolm Gladwell's, but Kohn only focuses on education. Gladwell kind of bugs me because he's always acting as if he's the only one to have thought of the obvious. Or his arguments are too easy to poke holes through. Or he doesn't provide the references I'd want to see.

I also just finished What Katy Did Next. Kind of interesting, but I thought the Betsy-Tacy books were better.

Come to think of it, I'm kind of in a slump as far as books go. I'll have to try some of the recommendations here.

Love that book!!! Peony in Love is good too. I just read the story of the See family - On Gold Mountain and it is fascinating. I'm trying to decide if I want to see the Snow Flower movie. I did love the book. I'm not sure I want to risk the movie, kwim?

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I'm scared of seeing The Help, but I'm going to anyway because I've heard it's great. Snow Flower is just one of those books that sticks with...such a beautiful story. And Lisa See has a way with words. I don't know how they could do it any justice as a movie. I didn't like the story of Peony in Love as much, but again, the writing is beautiful. I will have to look for On Gold Mountain. Did you read Shanghai Girls?

I love these book threads! My hold list at the library grows longer every a book thread shows up!

I am currently reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

This is the start to one of my favorite series. I love the way King writes. I feel completely emerged in the scene. Holmes if fabulous, Russell is great. I've read the series a few times now. Hope you enjoy the book.

I'm currently reading Jaycee Duggard's Stolen Life.

Valerie

Quick note about the movie for Snowflower and the Secret Fan. I really loved that book. What worries me about the movie is that they seem to have added an entire storyline set in modern times. ???? It seems to me that they always have a hard enough time fitting a book into the time allotted to a movie. Why in the world would they add another story? You can see the trailer at the link below:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/snowflowerandthesecretfan/

The movie for The Help really surprised me with how closely it stuck to the book. Yes there are some changes, but nothing that took away for the overall story. I do think that most of the changes were do to time constraints rather than just a Hollywood thing. The actresses were amazing. Definitely did not regret seeing the movie.

:-)

Valerie

I just read, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in less than 24 hours. It was one of those, "This book is going everywhere with me until it's done" reads...

I've got the next two on hold at the library.

I read that at Christmas and loved the brain break - so fun! I just finished the second, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin a couple of weeks ago and found it really fascinating. Written about the Ambassador to Germany pre-WWII. Very enlightening. I learned a great deal of the posturing of the nations before WWII. I wasn't sure I would like it...even though I love history...but I did!

I just finished this- I loved it!! I like everything he's written.