Menu

What's for dinner at your house on HOT, HOT days?

Like many of you, OKC is having a summer that has been full of days with 100 PLUS degree weather. What do you serve on such days? My bean tacos and tortellini salad have almost run their course ;). I'm looking for some more lip-lickin' :001_tt2: ideas to rotate in the menu plan. What do you serve on hot, hot days?

Guest IdahoMtnMom

A lot of times, we have what I call "Farmers Market Dinner"... I head to the Farmers market and get the stuff for a large garden salad (sometimes with chicken if Bubba's BBQ is there), a fresh fruit bowl, tomatoes in balsamic vinegar, and fresh crusty bread w/ butter....

Right there with ya down here in Texas.

We cranked up the grill a while ago and did a bunch of chicken with different flavors. Freeze or refrigerate until you use them. We slice and put on salads or make sandwiches. Chop for chicken salad...

When it's just me and dh, a glass of chilled chardonnay and a platter of cheeses, fruit, and crackers.

I'd like to try my hand at some cold soups.

I don't like making big heavy meals when it is hot. The kids are happy with a sandwich and some fruit. I do like to cook on the grill though but have been uninspired lately to make much of anything and hubby has been working late. He is actually home early tonight and just looked at me and told me he was starving and asked what was for dinner. Ugh that means I have to get off the computer and go cook.

We get very 'snacky' when its hot, so:

Caprese Salad w/ olive oil & good balsamic plus crusty bread - we've had this like 3x in the last 2 weeks- LOL

Fruit, cheese platter is a HUGE favorite here

Hummus w/ raw veggies and whole wheat pita bread

Fish Tacos w/ fresh lime always tastes fresh & light

Whatever I can pick in the garden! Sometimes that means a big salad or tomato/basil/mozzarella sandwiches on crusty bread. Sometimes it's squash, onions and red pepper roasted on the grill and served panini style. Sometimes it's grilled pizza with any of the above. Love summer dinners!

Whatever I can pick in the garden! Sometimes that means a big salad or tomato/basil/mozzarella sandwiches on crusty bread. Sometimes it's squash, onions and red pepper roasted on the grill and served panini style. Sometimes it's grilled pizza with any of the above. Love summer dinners!

I want to eat at your house. :lol:

I actually don't pay attention to hot days or cold days for the most part. I just cook whats on sale. xD

Sliced cold kielbasi and pepperoni with different kinds of cheese and crackers. Cold sliced veggies with cheese cubes and crackers. Different kinds of salads, with beans or imitation crabmeat, or cold meats. Sandwiches with white bean paste and garlic with tomato slices and sliced veggies. Slice up some veggies you don't normally eat, like turnips, for a different taste.

I want to eat at your house. :lol:

I actually don't pay attention to hot days or cold days for the most part. I just cook whats on sale. xD

You'd be welcome any time! But I might be over at Amy G's. :D (I love take-out)

Caprese Salad w/ olive oil & good balsamic plus crusty bread - we've had this like 3x in the last 2 weeks- LOL

My favorite at restaurants! I hadn't thought of making it myself for some reason.

Lot's of :001_tt2: yummy and light ideas from everyone. I'm making a list!

My newest favorite: sliced farmer's market canteloupe chilled for a bit with chopped up basil, mixed with those long European cucumbers, sliced, feta cheese, olive oil drizzle on top. Crunchy bread.

One of my family's favorite hot weather meal is a box or two of Suddenly Salad pasta salad mix (we like Caesar) with roma tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, and grilled chicken strips added. It's something the whole family likes, so on super-hot summer days, we end up eating it once a week or so. Other times, we do a big chef's salad. Pioneer Woman has a great leek and pancetta pasta salad too, but some of my kids kind of turn their nose up at it. Which is fine, because it leaves more for me and I LOVE it!

our favorites are extra large shrimp for cocktail, salad, sourdough bread with dipping sauce.

Chicken caesar salads w/sourdough.

Chinese chicken salads.

Subs. One large bread spread with cranberry mustard, natural meat toppings, salad.

I make a veggie pizza with hummus, feta, olives, marinaded artichoke hearts, shredded carrot, tomato, all on top of pita. Mmmmmm.

Taco salads.

The gas grill is my best friend on hot days. I grill meats/poultry/fish with rubs or marinades in aluminum pans with the pans on the top rack. Any recipe for the oven, I will try in the aluminum pans on the grill.

I grill the vegetables wrapped or not wrapped in aluminum foil. For the starch, I either grill potatoes on the grill or I use the rice cooker, which doesn't use much heat.

We even grill frozen pizzas on the top rack with low heat. Almost as delicious as homemade pizza on the grill.