Menu

Do you think 800,000 miles is too many on a used vehicle you want to purchase?

:svengo:

I really, really, really (no, really!) want to buy this for our next family vehicle. It's my dream car! :D But I got an email tonight from the guy who listed it and it has 800,000 miles on it. I've never, ever heard such a thing. (I asked if it was a typo. It's not.) BUMMER!!

(Do we have a sigh smiley?)

I really, really, really (no, really!) want to buy this for our next family vehicle. It's my dream car! :D But I got an email tonight from the guy who listed it and it has 800,000 miles on it. I've never, ever heard such a thing. (I asked if it was a typo. It's not.) BUMMER!!

Yes.

I just did some math - and if it's a 10 yr old car, 800,000 miles means it was driven over 200 miles day, 365 days a year.

Which is a lot.

But with a mini-bus like this, it most likely was a fleet vehicle (maybe to and from an airport?) and may have been really well taken care of.

I have heard of such a thing - a guy drove a saab (I think, might have been a volvo) for a million miles. made the news, complete with pictures from now and when he purchased the car new in the '70's, as he was the original owner and had the records to prove it. I looked for it. It was a Saab http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/06/saab-900-passes-one-million-mile-mark/ (though there is a volvo out there with records proving 2.6 Million miles.)

No way, jose would I purchase a car that *already* had 800,000 miles on it.

If you simply must have it: run the vin# and get all of its records. get all the maintenence records. make the sale contingent on a mechanic checking it out and approving it.

Edited by gardenmom5

I just did some math - and if it's a 10 yr old car, 800,000 miles means it was driven over 200 miles day, 365 days a year.

Which is a lot.

But with a mini-bus like this, it most likely was a fleet vehicle (maybe to and from an airport?) and may have been really well taken care of.

There's a local service that's shuttles people back and forth from Halifax and Sydney in Cape Breton. That's at least 10 hours of driving a day. Their buses would easily rack up that kind of mileage. I'm betting it's some kind of former shuttle service bus.

Frankly, despite the mileage I'd be tempted to have a couple of mechanics have a really go over over and see if just maybe it might not be suitable.

Fleet vehicles easily and regularly run up that kind of mileage. So do semi trucks that do cross country hauling. And school buses. As long as it has had regular maintenence it may be just fine. I would find someone that is familiar with this type vehicle and ask for an inspection of sorts before buying though. The parts can be more expensive as well since they are made to last longer. I wouldn't be afraid of it just due to miles.

We're passionate car junkies here...:glare: Do you mind posting what kind of car it is?

Personally, I would look elsewhere. That car probably needs a new engine, a new transmission and a slew of other new things. Also, some brands are very expensive to fix. Some brands are cheap to fix. Some brands, it's 200 bucks just for a tail light.

Also, if you're still considering it, look up the Blue Book value. Put in the mileage - what does it say? The car's probably worth 500 bucks or less (my guess and I don't know what the make/model is).

What are you going to use the car for? Driving 5 miles to work? Or a family car. We've had beaters to get to work in, but once you put your kids in something, you need to be careful - you don't want it breaking down and leaving your family on the side of the road in the heat.

If I were you, I would look around some more. From my experience with beaters, the car will always cost you the same amount of money no matter what. Either you pay less for the car and the transmission goes out...or you pay more for the car and it's more reliable (but the AC goes out :tongue_smilie:)...sometimes even a small car payment is worth having a reliable vehicle to get to work in/safer for your kids, etc.

I'm really curious as to what make/model this car is...:bigear:

OP, The only next big concern I have is seat belts. Buses don't usually have seatbelts and I don't know how expensive they are to have retrofitted. I would want my kids to be secured if I am driving them around. And I want a way to secure those car seats.

I think it's still worth considering. It's most likely a diesel and could probably go another 200,000 or more. The new transmission is a plus as that's a likely problem with that mileage. Seatbelts would be a must for me too, but I'm guessing it has lap belts. I'd find out the cost for converting to shoulder harnesses and anchors for the car seats. Paying a good mechanic to go over every inch would be money well spent. You can always offer less, but if it's in good mechanical condition, that's not a bad price IMO. Cool transport!!! :)

I think it's still worth considering. It's most likely a diesel and could probably go another 200' date='000 or more. The new transmission is a plus as that's a likely problem with that mileage. Seatbelts would be a must for me too, but I'm guessing it has lap belts. I'd find out the cost for converting to shoulder harnesses and anchors for the car seats. Paying a good mechanic to go over every inch would be money well spent. You can always offer less, but if it's in good mechanical condition, that's not a bad price IMO. Cool transport!!! :)[/quote']

:iagree: New transmission...If the frame and body are good and the engine checks out I'd consider going for it.

As long as everything else is in good working shape, with a new transmission, it's almost like new.

Should I offer him $500? ;)

Yes! Never know. Might work out. 800k mikes is a lot no doubt about that. But if it is in excellent condition and the has been maintained, it could be okay.

What major replacements have been done? I see transmission. What else? You might be looking at a vehicle that is all new within the last 3 years under the hood and then it would come down to the interior condition and gas use.

That is so my dream car too. We are at capacity in our 12 passenger van. But it is paid off, so by golly we will drive it until we have to push it.

Or need to accommodate a 13th passenger. Whichever comes first.

I have an email in to ask about make/model. That info. has not yet been provided. Will let you know what I hear. Good point about the seat belts. I showed it to a Reader in our church (single, older guy) and he loved it, too. Wanted to get a blessing from our priest to purchase it for the church's use, but we'd get to drive it when not needed for the church (which would be most of the time). Said blessing was not forthcoming. :tongue_smilie:

I told my dh, we use this for trips/drives for the whole family but get a cheap-o sedan with good gas mileage for my trips to the store, etc. Then, someday when all the kids are grown, we rip the seats out, install a twin bed on either side of the aisle, and travel around and camp and stuff.