Menu

Drive-in Theaters

I posted a link in the other movie thread, but just in case it gets buried, I thought I'd post another one!

So many people mentioned memories of drive-ins, and a couple of people wished to still be able to go to one.

This website has a link on the main page for a searchable database, by country, state, etc. Turns out there are five within a 3 hour drive of me! And, it turns out that all of the ones near me are an economical choice, due to getting 2 new releases for cheaper than seeing 1 new release at our local theaters!

I know that's not the same as having one within a few minutes, but still, it is doable for a day trip! And it would be worth it, so the children could get a chance to experience it.

So, check the data base. Even if there isn't one super close, you may discover one near somewhere you'd planned to visit, or nearby enough to plan a neat day trip!

http://www.drive-ins.com/

We have one 20 min away. We saw a couple movies there and loved it. The sound quality wasn't great and the movie didn't start until well after 9, but it was fun, we were able to bring our own popcorn, we could talk quietly while the movie was going....very enjoyable. However, the best part about it was that we could all get in for under $20! Then they raised their prices and it now costs twice as much for us to go. :glare: All the little inconveniences aren't quite as charming when I have to shell out $40.

The park near us does "Movies in the Park" which are IMHO much much better then drive-ins. Mind you I don't have fond memories of the few times I went to see a drive in movie.

But a movie in the park. A nice time packing up lawn chairs, blankets, snacks, ... Running about in a crowd before the movie starts, a adventurous walk home in the dark when it's all done.

oh, the memories of parents in our neighberhood taking turns taking all the kids on our block to the drive in. It was so much fun, we would take lawn chairs , place them next to the car and watch the movie outdoors. We would play on the playground that was right in front of the movie screen.

In high school, tho I was NEVER allowed to go on drive in dates, passion pit and all that. lol.

Actually when we were little, we would go around to all the cars that had teen couples and bang on the windows

We've taken the kids to a local drive-in a few times. Most of the movies they show there, though, are :ack2: so we don't do it often.

They're currently showing the last HP movie, but I don't think my kids could handle that one.

The biggest crowd is teenagers. And... you know... they're not there for the movies. Hard to bring a family.

We love this theater

http://www.bengies.com/

It's cheap than the regular theatre and their concession stand is kinda awesome. This weekend they playing Harry Potter and Captain America and a third movie (forgot) ALL for $8 a head.

I LOVE this place. If you're in central MD, you might want to check it out. :auto: Biggest screen on the East Coast Baby, and a perfect picture.

Wow - I didn't realize a lot of people didn't have a drive-in theatre in town or whatever. We've got 3 or 4 here. One of them has been run by the same guy for YEARS - like maybe 50? The theatre itself is 60 years old, still has the old playground in front of the screen (which is newer and the largest in the state). They show new releases and it is CHEAP! It's $8/person, but kids 11 and under are FREE! So last summer I took my 10yo son and 5 of his friends...so it cost me $8, plus some $1 slurpies for the kids from QT.

We love the drive-in!

We have one near us. In fact, we just went last night to see a Captain America/Thor double feature. My geeks were in heaven! Ours costs $7 for 14 and up, $2 for kids.

That second movie is always a killer for me...I don't think I have ever been able to stay awake for both movies.