Menu

Spoiler alert re:article in Memoria Press catalog

SoCal Sandra

I just received the Memoria Press "The Classical Teacher" summer catalog. The first article, "Letter from the Editor" discusses a movie that I haven't seen, but would have liked to (acting by Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman). Unfortunately the editor reveals important parts of the film and has probably spoiled the film for me.

Personally, I hate spoilers. (Years ago a friend spoiled "The Crying Game" for me and I still associate him with that selfish act.) This is just a heads up for people like me.

I had already seen the film and couldn't believe that the article exposed the entire plot of the movie. I know they pointed out the lesson learned but the article was written like a book report (not really a movie review because there was no judgement on the quality of the film). What was the point?

If you're talking about a movie that came out over a year and a half ago... I just don't see how you can get too distraught about it.

Not really distraught.....more like disappointed.

I don't get to the theatre that often to see films other than kid flicks. This movie was on my list to rent from Netflix. I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Interesting that you see it this way. Would you say the same about a book?

Yes, I do. I don't know why, I could care less. And, I really wonder what people get upset about.

I think it might have to do with the fact that I can usually tell what's going ot happen almost immediately. It's really not that hard. So, it's not the overall plot I watch the movies/read for, it's the characters and character development.

Yes, I do. I don't know why, I could care less. And, I really wonder what people get upset about.

I think it might have to do with the fact that I can usually tell what's going ot happen almost immediately. It's really not that hard. So, it's not the overall plot I watch the movies/read for, it's the characters and character development.

I can appreciate your point but I do not like to know the plot ahead of time, whether it's predictable or not. A simple "spoiler alert" at the start of the article would have given readers a choice. I do believe I would have stopped reading the article about midway through if I hadn't already seen the movie. And again, the article was not much more than a synopsis of the movie.

I can appreciate your point but I do not like to know the plot ahead of time, whether it's predictable or not. A simple "spoiler alert" at the start of the article would have given readers a choice. I do believe I would have stopped reading the article about midway through if I hadn't already seen the movie. And again, the article was not much more than a synopsis of the movie.

Well, there's no plot new under the sun. I find it hard to not know them.

And, no, no disclaimer on the article. Put it down if you don't want to read the spoilers.

Unwanted spoilers can be very annoying.

Personally I usually seek them out. But that's me.

On the off chance I don't want a spoiler, and get one it is annoying. I do think they are named properly. "Spoilers" can spoil some peoples enjoyment of what they are spoiling.

On a nothing note, I do like it when wiki gives a summary of a movie plot. :)

And, no, no disclaimer on the article. Put it down if you don't want to read the spoilers.

This response is condescending. Whether the plot is predictable or not is irrelevant. Likewise, whether I (or anyone else) should be capable of figuring it out prior to the end of the film is irrelevant.

And I never would have assumed they would disclose the ENTIRE story in that article.

Interesting that you see it this way. Would you say the same about a book?

Well, sure. If someone writes an article and wants to reference the fact that Anna Karenina throws herself in front of a train, no one's going to be shocked and horrified. The book has been around for many years and the plot is well-known -- by people who have read it and by people who have not.

I really don't think you can expect to be protected from spoilers for long after a new book or movie is released.

If you're talking about a movie that came out over a year and a half ago... I just don't see how you can get too distraught about it.

Well, sure. If someone writes an article and wants to reference the fact that Anna Karenina throws herself in front of a train, no one's going to be shocked and horrified. The book has been around for many years and the plot is well-known -- by people who have read it and by people who have not.

I really don't think you can expect to be protected from spoilers for long after a new book or movie is released.

But you're comparing a book that was published over 130 years ago with a movie that came out last year. Big difference there.

And to the OP--thanks for the warning. That's in my Netflix queue and I will not be able to remain spoiler free. :D

But you're comparing a book that was published over 130 years ago with a movie that came out last year. Big difference there.

And to the OP--thanks for the warning. That's in my Netflix queue and I will not be able to remain spoiler free. :D

Where would you draw the line on years of publication before you can write about something without a spoiler warning? I have participated in online forums when new books/movies come out in a series and I think they usually opened up spoiler discussion about a week after release.

Heh, I give a spoiler warning for classics, too - not everyone's read a particular title yet, and I'd hate to spoil it for them - but I don't expect it of others. And I figure a year old movie is fair game, too - I'd have quit reading the moment I realized they were talking about a movie I didn't want to be spoiled for.

<<Just as he bends down to pick up the first book, he stumbles, and his glasses fall off and shatter. In shock, he picks up the broken remains of the glasses he is virtually blind without, and says, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...! That's not fair!", and bursts into tears, surrounded by books he now can never read.>>

<<Just as he bends down to pick up the first book, he stumbles, and his glasses fall off and shatter. In shock, he picks up the broken remains of the glasses he is virtually blind without, and says, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...! That's not fair!", and bursts into tears, surrounded by books he now can never read.>>

OK, what is this one from?

Well, I am usually one who figures out a book or movie pretty early. BUT, in a movie, there is a difference between suspecting and knowing the plot. You would watch Book of Eli differently if you already knew the ending. So, yes, I appreciate if I am warned first about a spoiler. Plus, I believe it is common courtesy.

When dh and I watch something, it is like a game for us. A little way into the plot I am usually the first to go "Oooohhh, I see where this is going" and dh will ask me my theory, and then we watch to see if I am right. Sometimes dh has gotten the drop on me, or we have had two different theories and we watch to see who is right! :D We are strange people though, and I accept that. :tongue_smilie:

Now, in a book, if I am too perplexed by the plot, I will flip to the end and read it first. I can read in a more detailed and appreciative manner if my suspense is abated. It really depends on the book. :D Weird, I know. But, I still like to be the one to flip to the back and discover the end. So, I still would not want to be told. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I am usually one who figures out a book or movie pretty early. BUT, in a movie, there is a difference between suspecting and knowing the plot. You would watch Book of Eli differently if you already knew the ending.

Exactly. Kind of like The Sixth Sense. Remember that one?

Exactly. Kind of like The Sixth Sense. Remember that one?

Yes, that is the perfect example. It is rare for a movie to keep you (general you) guessing right up to the end. It would just be rude to ruin such a rare opportunity for some one.

I'm sorry, but it is also arrogant of someone to ruin the plot for someone else and then excuse it by saying "well, I figured it out in the first 5 minutes so its not much of a plot" :confused:. Well, you still stole my 5 minutes, then!! :lol:

Yes, that is the perfect example. It is rare for a movie to keep you (general you) guessing right up to the end. It would just be rude to ruin such a rare opportunity for some one.

I'm sorry, but it is also arrogant of someone to ruin the plot for someone else and then excuse it by saying "well, I figured it out in the first 5 minutes so its not much of a plot" :confused:. Well, you still stole my 5 minutes, then!! :lol:

Exactly.

I started reading the article to my dh in the car yesterday, and we both couldn't believe that he told the end of the story, when it was obviously a huge part of the plot. I never would've read the article if I had even suspected that he would give away the ending. But I never suspected that he would...

I thought just a simple "spoiler alert" at the beginning of the article would've been sufficient (and considerate...).

I started reading the article to my dh in the car yesterday, and we both couldn't believe that he told the end of the story, when it was obviously a huge part of the plot. I never would've read the article if I had even suspected that he would give away the ending. But I never suspected that he would...

I thought just a simple "spoiler alert" at the beginning of the article would've been sufficient (and considerate...).

Neither did I.... :tongue_smilie:

Just a funny note... I say "I could care less" all the time and my daughter ALWAYS corrects me and says "How MUCH less could you care?" The phrase should be "I couldn't care less". LOL

I would have just liked a simple alert on that one, too. I've been busy and that movie haven't gotten around to that movie.

I'm not irate or anything, since it obviously wasn't high on my list and I do realize it's an older movie.

I'd agree with you except my dh, who saw the movie, didn't tell me the ending b/c he didn't want to spoil it for me. He always figures out the endings halfway through movies, so he probably would somewhat agree with your first statement.

But he knows we watch movies differently. He watches, analyzes the whole way, and figures out the ending. I just watch.

I wouldn't have minded just a quick "spoiler alert" in the article. I was just skimming it and was a little surprised by the spoiler. If I'd seen the alert, I would have taken your advice but there wasn't one.