Menu

Misdiagnosed at Urgent Care...not fluid on eardrum....

really worried and a bit scared. Went to see an ENT today after more than a week on Claritin and Rhinocort nasal spray trying to clean up non-existent fluid. It's complicated but right now I have severe & sudden unexplained hearing loss, and the first step is to essentially drown the eardrum in steroids, which will be done over the next week in three different sessions. I had the first treatment today and let me say OWWWW! The doc had to numb my eardrum (burned), put an incision in my eardrum (still hurt), and then out in the steroids (could taste it, yuck), and now I wait until Monday for the next round. A week-ten days after the last treatment, they do hearing tests again and then an MRI.

Please pray. I am very worried and there is not a lot of further treatment that can be done even after the MRI because of my pregnancy. Even if there is treatment, some things that possibly caused this are not treatable and honestly, permanant and essentially total hearing loss is what worries me the most.

Just wanted to say that my mother had the same thing happen to her, and the steroids did seem to solve it. It then happened again about 6 months later, and again the steroids solved it. However, she was told that to keep it from happening again and again she needed to cut salt from her diet. Something about the swelling and inflammation... It seemed like such a strange thing to cause hearing loss and ringing in the ear, but it really did help.

PM,

I had something that sounds pretty similar to what you've got. I had an ear infection that I didn't realize was really there. I kept having slight dizzy spells, the room would spin a little, but not too much. I remember being at my youngest child's baptism (he was 6 weeks old), and thinking, "Gee, I ought to see the doctor." I was bf exclusively at the time. After two rounds of antibiotics, I went to see an ENT. I had some hearing loss in the ear with the infection. When I was treated with the antibiotics I also had a steroid shot. Apparently I had a pretty bad inner ear infection, and even though it went away with the antibiotics, a lot of inflammation was left. I had waited nearly 2 months before seeing the doctor, so it's not unusual that I had issues with it.

I took Allegra D for several months to control the dizziness and to dry up my sinuses, which is what the ENT prescribed. When I first visted him though, he scared me to death about diseases that mess up your balance. I don't think he fully understood that I had 4 small children and a very busy husband. Kind of scary. Anyhow, he brought up something called Meniere's disease, which basically is a disease of the inner ear. If you're pregnant and he mentioned this, be advised that things like coffee, caffeine, salt, and alcohol can make it worse. I gave up coffee and tried to lower my salt intake.

It did get better over time, it just took the inflammation a time to go down. My hearing got better, and I only had to take the antihistamine long-term (which I did not mind, esp. as the baby got older).

Just wanted to say that my mother had the same thing happen to her, and the steroids did seem to solve it. It then happened again about 6 months later, and again the steroids solved it. However, she was told that to keep it from happening again and again she needed to cut salt from her diet. Something about the swelling and inflammation... It seemed like such a strange thing to cause hearing loss and ringing in the ear, but it really did help.

How long after the steriod treatment did the hearing return? Did she take oral steroids? I am trying a contemporary treatment called intratympanic where they perfuse the eardrum with steriods to avoid them being systemically absorbed by the baby. So far, no change! :(

I have an acoustic neuroma. If they find one on your MRI let me know and I can direct you to some very helpful, encouraging info.

After talking to the doc about this, I really hope this is not what I have! Also, I choose not to have an MRI until after the baby is born, so I won't be able to until October sometime!

I am worried/scared that I will be one-sided deaf forever. It is a hard thing to face!

Edited by PentecostalMom

My DH suddenly lost his hearing when he was a teenager. It turns out he was born without one of the teeny tiny bones in his ear. He'd always passed the hearing tests that the doctors and schools give and they never figured why it suddenly became an issue, but it did.

Long story short, he had a minor operation to put a prosthetic bone in the ear and his hearing immediately returned. His hearing is slightly worse in that ear, but it's minor enough that you'd never guess there was something off unless he told you. So even if they find something "big," it doesn't mean that you'll have permanent hearing loss forever. You'll be in our thoughts though; I can't imagine how worried you must be.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping to see how you are feeling. Last week, dh got diagnosed with sudden hearing loss. Just woke up Monday and poof. His hearing was gone in one ear. He just completed a round of oral steroids; the only change is constant ringing and slight distortion. It's driving him crazy.

He also got an MRI and blood work; no results yet.

I hope your hearing has recovered or at the minimum, you have been able to cope better. :grouphug: