Menu

Raw Food co-op raid

I really thought you were kidding. I follow a lot of the Weston Price Guidelines. This is mind boggling. What insane individual or office ordered such a raid?

Don't we have more dangerous criminals to apprehend than raw milk sellers???

Is it illegal to sell raw milk/cheese in the state in which the raid took place?

Even if it is illegal, I think it is overkill to send in SWAT or to have a SWAT-like raid of a family store. Someone's kid could have been injured. Someone wasn't thinking.

I've been following this story.

https://thebovine.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/morningside-cheeses-await-legal-verdict/

It is scary.

I don't know if I told you all, but Miss Good was selling a goat on Craigslist. She did not mention milk. She does not sell milk. Nevertheless an inspector contacted her through the email in the ad.

He pretended to want to buy goats, and wanted to visit the farm and have a look around. She doesn't allow buyers to do that. Then he started trying to intimidate her.

She just kept quoting the law at him and he finally left her alone. Dh wanted to turn him into his supervisor and point out that the man misspelled the name of his own department...three times.

Fortunately, we talked him out of pursuing it.

Edited by amy g.

Is it illegal to sell raw milk/cheese in the state in which the raid took place?

Even if it is illegal, I think it is overkill to send in SWAT or to have a SWAT-like raid of a family store. Someone's kid could have been injured. Someone wasn't thinking.

I think the article said it's in Los Angeles. It's legal in CA. I can get it at my co-op. Maybe I should stop by and see if the SWAT team is there too...?

Baloney like this wastes our resources not to mention is completely idiotic. Now I worked myself into a lather...

Raw milk is legal to be sold here in CA so long as it's labeled as such. And seriously, if the name of the co-op is "Rawesome", what did consumers think they were getting?

If there was some issue with the labeling, the proper thing to do would be for the health inspector to write a citation & maybe impose a fine.

Ummm… are there any links for this story that aren't all slanted?

Both articles linked are full of obvious bias TOWARD the 'raw milk' industry or whatever… anything with just the facts?

If you can find a news outlet that has figured out the difference between editorial and factual writing, please share. DH has worked for a news organization most of our marriage and he said he couldn't name one that reports just facts.

Found one at the LA Times. It sounds like there was a permitting dispute- the state claimed they needed one, the owners argued that as a co-op they were not technically retailers and therefore exempt. But still there's no need for such heavy-handedness in the raid. I think there should've been some sort of citation & possibly a fine.

Ummm… are there any links for this story that aren't all slanted?

Both articles linked are full of obvious bias TOWARD the 'raw milk' industry or whatever… anything with just the facts?

If you can find a news outlet that has figured out the difference between editorial and factual writing, please share. DH has worked for a news organization most of our marriage and he said he couldn't name one that reports just facts.

I don't pay much attention to the news usually…but our local stuff and CBC seem to write normal news reports.

I've been following this story as well. I live in NorCal and cannot believe that our tax $ are at "work" RAIDING a raw food co-op?! C'mon. Apparently, there might be some permit issues, but seriously... a SWAT TEAM????

Wow... raw milk sellers are right up there with crack dealers...:glare:

While I agree that it sounds absolutely ridiculous, we don't know the whole story. My dh is on a swat team and just because he responds to something doesn't mean that they act all "swat"-I doubt anyone's child was in danger. Recently they raided a local non profit organization and people around here were all hysterical about it. The news went on and on about all the good this place did and why were they raided and why did it take all those officers/agents, why don't they use their resources to go after the gangs, etc. And, the officers don't exactly get to release why they are there, so the agency was the only one telling its story.

BTW, I do think that it is important to keep feds accountable by pointing out possible abuses. We just don't know the whole story.

Unless they were selling crack labeled as cheese, there is just no excuse for the place to be taken by men with helmets and rifles.

Sorry, SWAT response - regardless of their level of response - to "mislabeling of cheese" is absurd. Shall I be on the lookout for people rappelling from helicopters when I cross the state line with my raw milk and tax-free toilet paper then?

I totally thought it was a joke, too; perhaps they could stop drug problems if they started using their energies towards real problems instead of letting people choose what kind of food they want. Crazy!! Surprised they didn't arrest the customers, too!! After all they were contributing towards the problem.

Is that picture really from the raid (the one with the guys in helmets and guns)? It doesn't actually say that it is and the video looks much more calm-no helmets.

I guess I am a little suspicious about the "raid." Maybe it happened like these blogs say. I just asked DH about his recent raid on the non profit and he said all they did was knock on the door, show the search warrant, ask to speak to the owner, and talked to the delivery drivers as they came in for the day. They took a bunch of officers because there were lots of people to interview. But, the way the media made it sound, you would have thought people were rappeling down walls and jumping out of helicopters to "raid" this place that could do no wrong.

Again, I agree that regulating what people eat should not be what the government does. I just wonder if the story is getting a little sensationalized. Maybe it isn't.

Is that picture really from the raid (the one with the guys in helmets and guns)? It doesn't actually say that it is and the video looks much more calm-no helmets.

I guess I am a little suspicious about the "raid." Maybe it happened like these blogs say. I just asked DH about his recent raid on the non profit and he said all they did was knock on the door, show the search warrant, ask to speak to the owner, and talked to the delivery drivers as they came in for the day. They took a bunch of officers because there were lots of people to interview. But, the way the media made it sound, you would have thought people were rappeling down walls and jumping out of helicopters to "raid" this place that could do no wrong.

Again, I agree that regulating what people eat should not be what the government does. I just wonder if the story is getting a little sensationalized. Maybe it isn't.

I'm going to quote you because I think you're making an important point that's getting lost.

ETA: From the video footage it looks like at least some of the officers were in tanks and ball caps. I highly doubt that if was the high-tension raid some of the sources suggest they'd be doing their work in tank tops. Some reports say "armed" but d'uh, police generally are whether they're part of a raid or picking up a coffee at the local coffee shop.

Other sources have mentioned that this is not a first offence for this person and that the issue is not the raw products but rather the lack of permits. I know it's frustrating to see the law go after a cheese seller when their are drug dealers around but frankly, breaking the law is breaking the law and at some point it needs to be dealt with.

I'm really suspicious of the spin this story is getting.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Other sources have mentioned that this is not a first offence for this person and that the issue is not the raw products but rather the lack of permits. I know it's frustrating to see the law go after a cheese seller when their are drug dealers around but frankly, breaking the law is breaking the law and at some point it needs to be dealt with.

I'm really suspicious of the spin this story is getting.

Even if you're right, what about them dumping out all the milk? That has nothing to do with permits, and they're charged with a conspiracy to sell raw milk. It's not just a permit issue. The whole thing is ridiculous. I can't even think about it b/c it makes me so mad.

Even if you're right, what about them dumping out all the milk? That has nothing to do with permits, and they're charged with a conspiracy to sell raw milk. It's not just a permit issue. The whole thing is ridiculous. I can't even think about it b/c it makes me so mad.

What should they have done with the milk? Honestly? The seller didn't have the permit to sell it, the state probably doesn't have the facilities or an interest in storing it or selling it and since it's unpasturized they'd likely believe there's a risk they're unwilling to assume in passing it on to food banks or the like.

I'm reading up more on this (the conspiracy thing for instance). Please don't think I've come to a conclusion yet. I'm just skeptical of the spin. There's a lot of hyperbole surrounding this that's making me wince.