Menu

Edit: It really is a shame, because the program was worth the 40ish dollars. The method he used was a traditional method. It was commonly used to teach high school remedial writing if I remember correctly. The posts are gone, so I don't remember for sure. Maybe the OP of that post can chime in here.

I have a secret to share...I have the program. I didn't purchase it. He sent it to me after the big kerfluffle in an attempt to apologize since he felt it was my thread that spawned him wanting to "help" by writing his reports. I've looked it over but haven't used it. I considered using it as a writing intensive over the holidays just to see if it would be of any value, but now I just have this really icky feeling about it.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking the time. :001_smile:

No problem, my kids are actually playing with each other. I'm so shocked that there is no drama that I've needed to come online and seek some out. It turned out to be a great day for that.

I think the member who-shall-not-be-named and his posts have been removed./QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my, this made my brain go to wonky places. Apparently, the moderators possess the elder wand.

Faith

Does this mean if I defeat them in a magical duel ... ? :D

I have a secret to share...I have the program. I didn't purchase it. He sent it to me after the big kerfluffle in an attempt to apologize since he felt it was my thread that spawned him wanting to "help" by writing his reports. I've looked it over but haven't used it. I considered using it as a writing intensive over the holidays just to see if it would be of any value, but now I just have this really icky feeling about it.

Using patterns for writing is an accepted approach. We do this with using Killgallon. This no-named-program took it a step beyond, which again is nothing new, and put in a format that we could use and teach at home.

The problem was that he demeaned and degraded the worth.

Instead of doing something like this on the forums, he should have given it time.

As I said, no one went after the resource or directly at him. Sad ....:glare:

And if your child needs more structure and modeling, then use the program. I wouldn't set it to the side now. You already have it. :001_smile: This has worked in a public classroom.

At this point, I'd blog about the kerfluffle and pitch the darn thing.

I'm worried about stuff like this because what if we cannot discuss materials anymore unless we can only post the positive?? That's not really a review anymore. That's an infomercial and if you want me to write THAT, then I have to only write it at 2:00 in the morning and I need $50,000 a shot. :D

Does this mean if I defeat them in a magical duel ... ? :D

Yes, you may wield the elder wand but just remember that there is no spell that can ever bring back dead threads!

Shhhhh....if you defeat the mods, you better lay low with an invisibility cloak....McGonagle might find you and a pretty lecture that will be! Detention and no more Quidditch for you!

Faith

I am more worried about our forum environment. If we are not allowed any dissenting opinions out of the possible hint of defamation, we are done. Opinions are NOT defamation.

:iagree: I said about that in my pm to the moderators. I suggested that in all fairness all of his posts should be removed as well, which they seem to have done.

I'm sure the powers that be feel they have to walk a tightrope at times but I hope this is an isolated incident and isn't indicative of things to come.

At this point, I'd blog about the kerfluffle and pitch the darn thing.

I'm worried about stuff like this because what if we cannot discuss materials anymore unless we can only post the positive?? That's not really a review anymore. That's an infomercial and if you want me to write THAT, then I have to only write it at 2:00 in the morning and I need $50,000 a shot. :D

Yes, please do! Get the information out there!

And if your child needs more structure and modeling, then use the program. I wouldn't set it to the side now. You already have it. :001_smile: This has worked in a public classroom.

I know his method isn't anything new. I've used it myself before. My dc don't need it either, we're pretty happy with what we are using. I was only going to use it out of curiosity and I told him that if I ever did use it that I would let him know what I thought about it. I just don't know that I what to extend that courtesy to him knowing what I know now. Am I being petty?

I know his method isn't anything new. I've used it myself before. My dc don't need it either, we're pretty happy with what we are using. I was only going to use it out of curiosity and I told him that if I ever did use it that I would let him know what I thought about it. I just don't know that I what to extend that courtesy to him knowing what I know now. Am I being petty?

No, I don't think so. I think that the person-not-to-be-named was being petty.

We all embarass ourselves at some point. (or we get too personal:lol:)

That is something that we have to endure on a public forum.

I think that you are making a decision based on your heart and mind as a result of what has taken place.

I see nothing wrong with that. I would encourage it.

Edit: Let me know if you need a pm. Carpe may need a potty/kiddie break, LOL.

Because you are upset at the idea of our forum turning into a police state?:glare:

A little, yes. But I don't think one minor publisher with his panties in a bunch is going to do that here with all the squeaky wheels we have. We're just going to review his product under the name Writing with Voldemort and send a lot of PMs. And either he will smarten up to the purpose of reviews, or his product will slowly disappear and no one will really notice.

I was thinking that and I just live in northern Michigan. :lol:

It has, in my lifetime, snowed every single month of the year at least once. This year we had June snow, so I don't expect any July or early August snow, but I wouldn't bet on it either way.

But seriously. I'm leaving. Any second now...

It has, in my lifetime, snowed every single month of the year at least once. This year we had June snow, so I don't expect any July or early August snow, but I wouldn't bet on it either way.

But seriously. I'm leaving. Any second now...

My prediction is for an early and hard fall. But I have a pessimistic streak and summer was kind of rotten for growing a lot of stuff. It just makes sense that it would snow in September this year.

Edited by Jennifer3141

Wow, 16 pages of us talking about something we aren't supposed to talk about. This might beat Spycar's "Ignore" thread... or has it already?

Nothing gets us riled up more than telling us what we can or can't do. Makes you wonder why we're surprised when our kids do the same thing.;)

Wow, 16 pages of us talking about something we aren't supposed to talk about. This might beat Spycar's "Ignore" thread... or has it already?

Nothing gets us riled up more than telling us what we can or can't do. Makes you wonder why we're surprised when our kids do the same thing.;)

Ah, the art of rhetoric!

All I can say is don't poke the Hive. :001_smile:

What is poor, overworked Carpe PM'ing, anyway? That which I already have received in a PM from WTM'er Not-to-be-Named-Lest-She-Risk-Reprisal?

This might -- (may the blessing be given!) the first day NOT officially to hit 100 deg. here. (28-day streak thus far. or is it 29?) Fried-egg brain here is participating in this (termed thus, earlier) kerfluffle to obtain some environmental relief.

Time to rename this thread, Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter !

I just had a serious kid fail. They were hardly outside before they start complaining about the heat. WTH? It's room temperature outside! And then my little guy decided to poop :001_huh: and of course then the older kid has to come inside and take his shoes off and start doing a puzzle while I change the toddler.

Seriously kids! I hope you remember that I offered to take you to the park while it was warm enough to go when it's -30 and we're stuck inside. :glare:

A little, yes. But I don't think one minor publisher with his panties in a bunch is going to do that here with all the squeaky wheels we have. We're just going to review his product under the name Writing with Voldemort and send a lot of PMs. And either he will smarten up to the purpose of reviews, or his product will slowly disappear and no one will really notice.

I think this is the most likely outcome. It is too bad, though. It might or might not have been a good program for some. The death of his program and his reputation could have been avoided, however, if he would have pulled on his big girl panties before he started spouting off here.

Sorry, just wandered back! a) shocked (I don't know why) to find the thread gone viral and b) apologies for the sub-scandal of the Smart Bananas.

I assume this is a "before" example? :D

FINALLY!

It could be a "before". However, I can see that it could have value for some. I don't teach this way. Most of us do not.

I just had a serious kid fail. They were hardly outside before they start complaining about the heat. WTH? It's room temperature outside! And then my little guy decided to poop :001_huh: and of course then the older kid has to come inside and take his shoes off and start doing a puzzle while I change the toddler.

Seriously kids! I hope you remember that I offered to take you to the park while it was warm enough to go when it's -30 and we're stuck inside. :glare:

Resign in peace. I have to go for a bit too! Someone jump in and pm please. :glare:

I hate not being able to say the name!