Menu

I may get deleted, but I was surfing the forum and found myself going "huh?"

If we as a whole (meaning the forum users) decide that someone comes to us as an uneducated and unknowledgeable babbling idiot, we cannot call them out?

I was really disappointed. What if we thought the same of SOTW? I know, this is certainly not likely. It would be hard to imagine SWB as a not being any more higher-minded than a lizard. Yet, said person/resource provider can ask that we not discuss this particular book/plan in the open? And, they can request that all non-favorable commentary and description be removed?

Hmmm, so we cannot be critical or critique if it doesn't favor the publisher/creator?

I just had to laugh!:lol:

Edit: My cryptic attempt did not work. Read further. I suppose the discontent is not only my own too.

Edited by ChrissySC

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I see the rule? Wondering if this is a rule or observation? I've seen issues where it got so heated or nasty, that yes, things have been removed or requested that we quit discussion, but that was because things that go on here can/do have an affect on certain people in real life as well. There is a line.

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea we can't critique or call out "an idiot." There is a multi-page thread here critiquing a certain group of publications. There was a lone supporter (probably a troll) toward the end. The supporter was mostly kindly told that many of us (as a group) can't/won't see things her way.

Would you mind linking what it is you are speaking of.

It looks like "someone" insisted upon all criticisms of their product being removed. We are here on PHP's dime. I would rather they spend their money on new product vs. lawsuits. Since the product cannot be criticized, the mods have decided that it shouldn't be discussed at all. In other words, if people cannot look at it critically, neither can anyone praise it. Seems like a fair policy.

It looks like "someone" insisted upon all criticisms of their product being removed. We are here on PHP's dime. I would rather they spend their money on new product vs. lawsuits. Since the product cannot be criticized, the mods have decided that it shouldn't be discussed at all. In other words, if people cannot look at it critically, neither can anyone praise it. Seems like a fair policy.

Do you think they really have grounds for a lawsuit for discussing a program on a message board?

Huh. Why does the PBW guy get to decide what we can or can't discuss on HERE?

Excellent question. From the closed threads I saw it does appear everyone was being appropriate. Of course, the other thread was deleted, so there is no way for me to know now how it went.

I'm not sure if the actual critical threads were removed or if the PBW was called out by the mods for having insisted that they be removed. Either way, I think what's good for the goose is good for the gander and if PBW didn't want us discussing their materials critically then good on the mods for locking threads with any discussion about it. You can't have it both ways. We either discuss you products and you take the good with the bad in order to get exposure or we don't talk about you at all.

Ah. Well, I suppose they are trying to make the best of it.

Pattern Based Writing, which I have never heard of until a post by the moderator on the logic stage board said that the PBW guy insisted WTM remove all threads critical of PBW. Which is just crazy, IMO.

I wonder if the guy realizes he just made a serious marketing error? 33K homeschooling parents have just been told that the material can't stand up to criticism.

I tend to agree. I'd like to think the mods have better things to do than deal with another industry kerfluffle staged by someone else who can't bear the thought that someone might disagree with them.

I do find that trait, particularly in a curriculum developer, to be an unfortunate peculiarity, though.

Someone was asking about PBW and couldn't find the thread where we all criticized his "big report". The moderators posted on the logic forum that PBW requested all posts that were critical of his product be deleted and the moderators requested that all further discussion of PBW be done through private channels.

So, I suppose the precident has been set that if we are overly critical of a product or something the writer of that product has said then they can ask to have all evidence of that criticism removed.

Didn't we just have a thread a little while ago about someone asking to have a thread deleted because they didn't like the way the thread turned out? Weren't they told to basically pull up their big girl panties and just deal with it? I know the moderators have the power to do whatever they want but sounds like double standards to me. Oh, was that too critical?:D

The biggest issue that I had was that we were discussing his lack of qualification and his posting at the time. He had linked to an article that he had written, and promised. Well, it was a very bad, bad example of writing. It sounded like one of our forum postings versus an essay/paper to demonstrate his technique.

He removed it within a few hours of us questioning the purpose and intent.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I wonder if the guy realizes he just made a serious marketing error? 33K homeschooling parents have just been told that the material can't stand up to criticism.

:iagree: That's kind of what we learned in the original threads, too, IIRC.

I really like Analytical Grammar's writing programs. I know they are for older kids, but those are the kids who need a formal writing program, IMO. The programs are to the point, easy to implement and allow for personal style. They enable students to crank out well written papers that don't seem like the students were filling out a madlib. Just FYI. ;)

I can guarantee I'd never buy it now...

Yup. Same here. If a product is good, the company should be happy to have people discuss it honestly. Any company who doesn't allow that, well, the product obviously has some issues, and I'll find something else.

I've never heard of this product before now. Does it sell on Amazon? Does this guy email Amazon and insist that they delete any one or two star reviews?

Oh we will get deleted now, LOL

I would rather have seen the entire posts removed rather than have a selective positive few remain!

THIS!!!! If the negative gets removed then the posiitves need to go too. There needs to be a sticky for all future members to notify them that we can not discuss PBW on this forum AT ALL. Because that's going to happen, right? Maybe they need a designated moderator to police for discussion of this program.

Absolutely ridiculous!

My opinion of this man has just dropped even farther.

Seems that the original thread is gone, so I can't read it. The impression gained is that some curriculum supplier came onto the board and sulked because his product received some negative reviews here.

Does not his very complaint break the rules against promoting ones own product, against trying to sell a product on the boards ?

THIS!!!! If the negative gets removed then the posiitves need to go too. There needs to be a sticky for all future members to notify them that we can not discuss PBW on this forum AT ALL. Because that's going to happen, right? Maybe they need a designated moderator to police for discussion of this program.

Absolutely ridiculous!

That was another "irk" too. What? We cannot critique it either? We were admonishing the author of bad form and technique. Now he pouts?

Sorry, I know this is going to get deleted, and being cryptic didn't work.

I am just really, really disappointed!!!:glare:

If the negatives get removed then the positives need to go too.

There needs to be a sticky for all future members to notify them that we can not discuss PBW on this forum AT ALL.

Absolutely ridiculous!

:iagree:

Hey the author's loss. Critique of any sort creates curiosity. I had never heard of it and then went looking for it. Of course now that I think the author discouraged people from talking about it I'm totally turned off.

And sometimes the reason somebody else doesn't like it is the reason why it would be the perfect fit for your particular child.

Hey maybe someone jumped up and down and the powers that be decided it wasn't worth any possible further "problems".

It's not ideal, but I guess this isn't a democracy either. :D

Could be true, and I wouldn't blame the PTB if it were. They get to decided what goes or stays here. That's fine with me.

That said, when I see a moronic post, I will call it out -- bless their hearts -- and probably mock the stupidity, too. I think if you're that stupid AND that arrogant, you deserve it. Some people are just asking for a smack down.

Thank you for the PM I just received !

I'll write the same thing here as I would have replied to her.

I just found a "closed" thread that included a copy (copied from another WTM thread) of a post made by a man affiliated with the now-nameless product which is not-being-discussed. :blink:

Same conclusion as I drew before. The provider came on board to peddle his own product. Free offer, yes, but still a marketing hook. Not allowed, as I understand the board rules.

I'm surprised that he was allowed to keep posting in that vein long enough to experience the mango-throwing.

If we may not provide negative criticism of a product after testing it, then there are a number of suppliers whom I pray don't read some of my truthful evaluations !

Exactly. I have some very beloved things I use that people on this board who I highly respect hate with a passion. It doesn't discourage me. I am able to make my own decisions. Geesh.

:iagree: Saxon math is a good example of that. Some people hate it with a passion. Others claim it was their math messiah. I'm kind of in between on that. I use it because it really works for my ds. I, personally, do not care for it at all, but then, it's not about me now, is it?

Thank you for the PM I just received !

I'll write the same thing here as I would have replied to her.

I just found a "closed" thread that included a copy (copied from another WTM thread) of a post made by a man affiliated with the now-nameless product which is not-being-discussed. :blink:

Same conclusion as I drew before. The provider came on board to peddle his own product. Free offer, yes, but still a marketing hook. Not allowed, as I understand the board rules.

I'm surprised that he was allowed to keep posting in that vein long enough to experience the mango-throwing.

If we may not provide negative criticism of a product after testing it, then there are a number of suppliers whom I pray don't read some of my truthful evaluations !

The Product That Must Not Be Named. :lol: