Menu

How old for sushi?

My DD has been eating it since she was about 18 months old. We were all having it for lunch and someone just gave her some without thinking. OK, it was me :001_huh: I wasn't too worried because she seems to handle most food without problems (maybe another cast iron stomach, here, too :)) and because I know the place we get our sushi from is impeccably clean and the food is always fresh & high quality.

Indy was eating it by 2. He loves sushi. He always insisted on eating it with chopsticks, and he really likes to eat, so he was pretty adept with them by the age of 3. :001_smile:

So does my dd! She will sit there and stare at it if I don't give her any chopsticks! She so impressed/amused and old gent down the street yesterday that he had to come and tell me how good she was and pat her on the head. :)

Rosie

I don't know about food safety issues, but if you want a young kid to like it, you should introduce it and start having it regularly by around age 2, I would say. Then you can get it in the window when they'll eat anything before they start cutting back. I wish I had understood that sort of thing in time, because frankly samosas and shrimp jiaozi are not the foods I would have made sure stuck.

The littlest one has been offered a few time since he was a year, but as of yet has not actually eaten any raw fish.

Ha! I seriously read the title and thought you were asking how long you could keep sushi before it went bad. LOL

Overnight IMO.

My eldest had it at just under a year. She is 14 now and still loves it. Probably, due to the fact that I craved it constantly when I was pregnant with her and ate it at least twice a week the whole time!

My other dd had it later but that was because she had a hard time chewing solid foods. She really did not eat any "real" food that was not mashed until 15 months. I am sure that it followed sometime soon. This child will not touch rolls, only straight raw fish! She does not even like her fish cooked! LOL.

Lynda

We start cooked sushi with other early solid foods and raw sushi at two.

Because of mercury contamination, we hold off on tuna, yellowtail, and mackerel (also swordfish and shark, but I don't see those offered as sushi) until age 6. I don't eat them when I'm TTC, pregnant, or breastfeeding, either. Mercury scares me.

With raw fish, not just California rolls. :bigear:

as soon as possible. My kids have been eating sushi (the real kind) since they were very young, and now, at ages 6 and 10, they love it--even sashimi.

their father's side of the family is Japanese, so it would be a bit of a disgrace for them not to like it. :001_smile: