Menu

S/O Economic thread-- Curriculum

So, in light of the economic situation, just thinking about preparedness as it relates to curriculum. If everything crashed and we were all dirt poor, what curriculum gives the most bang for your buck that you would want to have on hand? Thinking small, too, for transportability, if needed. Obviously, we like what we have now. Some choices might be the same. Some may not. My thoughts so far:

Math: Strayer Upton- I like using Math Mammoth, but if the world came to an end SU would get us further, has everything they'd need to know, and doesn't need to be printed out.

History: Maybe follow through the Usborne book. Or SOTW, if you have them all.

Science: ?

Grammar: ?

Bible: the Bible

So, if you were going to make an educational emergency kit, what would be in it? What basics would get the job done?

I have first graders. I'm not going to plan for 11 more years of education because Zombie Armageddon might happen and I have zero interst in paring stuff down in case I need to be more portable. I'm pretty sure if the kids and I need to become nomads, then getting through SOTW isn't going to be a priority.

I'd make do with the books I've got on hand. I've got enough on my computer for five lifetimes (including the newly downloaded 11 vols of the Durants), but if the world came to an end, I doubt that'd be useful. Maybe I would actually read what I've got! I just picked up a ton of literature at a book sale, so I'm all set with a variety of useful and fun books for high school -- including Germinal, Native Son, Heart is a Lonely Hunter, plays of Ibsen, all of James Herriott's books, Catcher in the Rye, Frankenstein, and volume 1 (sigh) of Anna Karenina. Luckily I've got Android Karenina too. ;) i'd have a hard time dragging it all around with me.

I wouldn't concentrate on preparing for anything but math because that is something I cannot piece together from regular ol' books and it is my weakest area academically. History, Science and English can be taught with library books. For Bible I'd just use my Bible.

As far as school not being a priority in a situation like that - well, I don't know. I suppose it depends on just how bad it gets, but I think even if things were very bad, it would be comforting and mentally healthy to have something worthwhile to focus on. Keeping up with a routine of sorts would help take the sting out of the situation. I think of Corrie and Betsie Ten Boom in Ravensbruck getting all the ladies involved in a Bible Study. Even in the worst of scenarios, keeping a certain amount of "regularness" to your life can help you get through it. I suppose it would make one feel less of a savage and maintain some dignity to have something besides the basics of survival to think about.

I wouldn't concentrate on preparing for anything but math because that is something I cannot piece together from regular ol' books and it is my weakest area academically. History, Science and English can be taught with library books. For Bible I'd just use my Bible.

:iagree:

I'd probably like to have a bookcase full of classic novels for enjoyment and vocabulary development. Also, if everything crashed, I'd want a variety of books that relate to being self reliant; gardening, cooking, canning, preserving, medical, building, sewing, first aid, etc.

I could probably figure out a way to teach my kids all the grammar they need to know from a single Warriner's book if I needed to. But if we were forced from our homes by some catastrophe, homeschooling would likely fall way down the priority list.

I agree here.

DH's job became MUCH less stable yesterday (corporate buyout) and one thing at the back of my mind is that if DH loses his job, we'll probably end up enrolling DD at the neighborhood public school (which really isn't a BAD school-just not ideal for DD) because that would free both of us up to job hunt. While she won't get the same education at school she'd get at home, showing up for job interviews with a 6 yr old isn't a great situation, either.

Ok, I was thinking more of depression-type situation than post-zombie Book of Eli type. If we're eating cats for survival, I won't worry about math either. But if the kids were going to grow up very poor, they'll still need an education.

Are you talking short-term or long-term? Are you talking another depression? The books you've listed for History, for example, wouldn't work beyond a certain age. How far in advance are you wanting to stock up?

I would hope that if somehing bad happens economically that the libraries won't close down. I can homeschool with library materials for any grade level and probably all subjects, even math. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be doable.

I have high schoolers though. I believe that would make my situation more complex.

Honestly? In an emergency type situation I could educate my son with what I already own, except I need a physics book. Oh, wait I have Conceptual Physics still in storage, so we COULD do it. :lol:

I've been working on self-ed, and we used to have an awesome thrift store. I have picked up so many educational materials for .89 and .99 each, it's almost embarrassing. :blush:

I COULD do it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't have what I believe are the best fits for ds or enough teaching material.

From what I own:

History: Spielvogel's The Human Odyssey (TE weighs so much, it could be a lethal weapon if needed :tongue_smilie:) Have Great Books from each era

Science: Conceptual Physics, Miller Levine Biology, Chang Chemistry, Earth Science and an Anatomy & Physiology book

Latin: Finish Latin Alive, Lingua Latina, go through the Henle Grammar book

English: Harbrace College Handbook or Warriner's Grammar, The Art of Poetry

Writing: A book on Research Writing and Corbett's classical Rhetoric

Literature: LOTR, Complete Shakespeare, GB from different eras.

Math: Dolciani Algebra, Jurgensen Geometry, and Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

Art: Stokstad's Art History

If it really were a zombie Apocalypse ('cause isn't that just fun to imagine :lol::tongue_smilie:) We change tactics completely.

I would go through (again from what I already own):

An electronics course

Read and study The Art of War

Definitely cover Anatomy and Physiology

Psychology

Self-Defense

Our library is close to shutting down already. They're down to 3 days a week and even then are closed sometimes for lack of staff. Some I'm not holding my breath on that one. I don't know how you could stock ahead for high school. It seems expensive :) But I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a few things on hand to get us through middle school, if need be.

Our library is close to shutting down already. They're down to 3 days a week and even then are closed sometimes for lack of staff. Some I'm not holding my breath on that one. I don't know how you could stock ahead for high school. It seems expensive :) But I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a few things on hand to get us through middle school, if need be.

How far away are you from a neighboring county/city with a better library system? Library systems charge an annual fee to nonresidents and the rates vary. If I knew I had to use the library to cover all my subjects, I believe buying a membership would be a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to stock up on educational materials.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. I've homeschooled 10 years and the materials I feel were worth their weight in gold are not materials that would last more than a single school year. For example, the absolute, best purchase I ever made was Hooked on Phonics in March 2002. The day after my youngest dd's 4th birthday, she walked into the room, put her hands on her hips and told me that it was time for her to learn to read. She wanted the HOP program she saw advertised on tv. Since it had a money back guarantee, I bought it. I paid just over $300 for it, and it was the BEST money I spent. She went from sounding out letters to reading small chapter books in 6 months. Sorry, but I love that story. I think it's hilarious that after 10 years of homeschooling, the program I loved best was a phonics based reading course. :tongue_smilie:

Are you talking short-term or long-term? Are you talking another depression? The books you've listed for History, for example, wouldn't work beyond a certain age. How far in advance are you wanting to stock up?

I would hope that if somehing bad happens economically that the libraries won't close down. I can homeschool with library materials for any grade level and probably all subjects, even math. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be doable.

I have high schoolers though. I believe that would make my situation more complex.

Libraries are ALREADY closing down. :glare: Our local library is open only 2 days per week now and they are having to cut another 20% in the coming year.

If it really were a zombie Apocalypse ('cause isn't that just fun to imagine :lol::tongue_smilie:) We change tactics completely.

An electronics course

Psychology

Self-Defense

Oh this will be a fun conversation with my ds15 today. He has a couple of posters in his room of what to do in the case of a zombie apocalypse. We recently saw the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead and I must admit, I would think the whole situation totally hopeless! Egads! :tongue_smilie:

I could give my children a solid (non-college track) High School education with what I have in the house already.

I couldn't teach them college track math or science so I'd have to find some way of getting that done. Maybe Khan Academy if we could afford to keep internet access.

I'd probably go Sonlight-style on my own w/ the books we've got &/or what's avail at the library.

Math would be a booger, but I'd basically use what I could find at 1/2 Price or something like that instead of picking the BEST curric. But I've got Singapore...I think I've got the textbooks for all levels from essentials to 6B. I think upper level subjects like Alg would be easier to find used, & if I had to do w/out the workbooks, I would. We'd spend more time on the sample problems in the text, I'd make my own, we'd reuse old workbooks, or we'd find stuff online. The kids already like "playing school" so I think they'd love making up math problems for ea other.

I don't know how you could stock ahead for high school. It seems expensive

It isn't expensive if you have a pack-rat husband who keeps his old college textbooks (and even a few high school ones!) on hand. :tongue_smilie: I see on DH's bookcase Dolciani's Algebra 2 with Trigonometry, a calculus text, an intro to stats/probability, intro to linear algebra, intro to chemistry, intro to physics, intro to geology, intro to psychology, intro to economics, intro to American government, and a whole bunch of engineering books. I also have a copy of an intro to microbiology text and Gray's Anatomy.

I think I could teach high school if I needed to in a pinch with those books. It would be missing geometry and the botany & zoology portions of biology. Overall, though, it wouldn't be too bad.

One of the things I've learned (thank you blizzard of 2009, heat wave of 2011, etc.) is that I can't have all of my materials available on an electronic basis only. When the power goes down and stays down, books are the way to go.

I've been getting a bunch of college level texts on paperback swap just for fun for me. I'm keeping them on hand until we buy high school level materials.

We've been homeschooling on a very tight budget--I've learned to stick to the basics and hand down books whenever possible. I may not have the "best" materials, but I do have adequate ones. Sometimes homeschooling without all of the bells and whistles allows you to focus on the learning aspect of homeschooling rather than the tools-for-learning-aspect.

An electronics course

Psychology

Self-Defense

:lol:

So, in light of the economic situation, just thinking about preparedness as it relates to curriculum. If everything crashed and we were all dirt poor, what curriculum gives the most bang for your buck that you would want to have on hand? Thinking small, too, for transportability, if needed. Obviously, we like what we have now. Some choices might be the same. Some may not. My thoughts so far:

Math: Strayer Upton- I like using Math Mammoth, but if the world came to an end SU would get us further, has everything they'd need to know, and doesn't need to be printed out.

History: Maybe follow through the Usborne book. Or SOTW, if you have them all.

Science: ?

Grammar: ?

Bible: the Bible

So, if you were going to make an educational emergency kit, what would be in it? What basics would get the job done?

This is one of the reasons I recently picked up a used encyclopedia set.

We made the move to non-consumables a long time ago because with four kids, it made sense to not be constantly replacing curriculum. For those few "consumables" we do use (Singapore Math, Mindbenders, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Prima Latina), the kids have done their written work in notebooks, on lap-top chalkboards, or dry erase boards so that I can save the books and re-use them. Except for some MIT opencourseware books we'd like the boys to do, we are pretty well set through high school because we saved dd's curriculum and we used some of our college textbooks (college writing, chemistry, philosophy, etc.) that we felt were too dear to part with.

So, by virtue of being curriculum junkies and packrats, we could actually homeschool our youngest (11 years old) all the way through.

But, what I do regret is that a couple of years ago, I have away all of my phonics and primary math curriculum, phonics readers, counting bears, student clock, you name it....all of my K-3rd grade stuff to our pastor's wife. Now I don't regret giving it to her. They really want to homeschool and do a great job but have a very limited budget due to helping some relatives through a bad time, it's just that I didn't say she could borrow it (meaning I would get it back eventually and she is a gem, it would be well taken care of and marked with my name), I out and out gave it to her and so now I won't have access to it for dd if she marries and chooses to homeschool. Nor would we have had it if we had gotten guardianship of the little girl in town that we almost had placed with us. At the time, it seemed like a good idea to clean out and have the space. I am currently kind of kicking myself. DH gave me a very generous budget for homeschooling so I had a ton of stuff. I could have helped fund my dear friend's homeschool endeavors and still had some stashed away for future grandkids or a child placed in our home. Sigh.....

So, really, what I need to do is raid every Staples store the tri-county area when notebooks go 10 cents each and purchase several hundred plus a mountain of mechanical pencils...we'd be good to go then! :D

Faith

I have saved all of the curriculum I like, so I have hard copies of Pre-K-12. I recently tried to sell some encyclopedias and some classics because it takes up less space to use the internet and Kindle.

My best friend made me keep them in case I have to school without electricity some day.

I can't really picture how that might come about, but I'm ready if it does.

Yeah, I've got math books I could use for HS (and college, actually) except I'm light on geometry. I have tons of nature study and science experiment books from the old days, and a science encyclopedia. That'd have to do. Got a nice fat calculus based physics text just waiting for a kid to be ready for....