Menu

s/o dislike a name - Why do people change my dds names?

The only thing I have ever been anal on is the spelling of my name.

Why is it that the first spelling people go for is Rachael? Or Rachelle? As far as I know the spelling Rachel has been around a lot longer that the others.

I also get called Sarah because of my last name. That doesn't bother me though. :) I have also been called Lisa and Heather. For some reason those two names I have been called multiple times by different people over the years.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm sorry, but to me Lauren is pronounced as lore-in, not law-rin."

But, this is how you're thinking of phonograms being pronounced. I would pronounce it the way the person asked for it to be. BUT, "au" is not the same as "or". My dear mom, once she learned WRTR started pronouncing things the way they were "meant" to be pronounced... which to a pre-teen... was embarrassing. (what's not??) Diaper... is not Dyper but, "di-a-per"... Deborah.. isn't "Debra" it's Deb-or-ah... and Dorothy is "Dor-o-thy". Of course, she also started the grammar part,too. This is she; is that he? etc. I remember wanting to speak normally, but not am happy that I have proper grammar. I revert when around people who would look at me funny, sometimes. BUT, in hs circles speak properly; it is second nature. And, it does make it easier to learn grammar and foreign languages when you speak properly. :) So, hearing how things are pronounced would help spelling and such.. I think. I have to mull that over... :)

That's the thing, I don't have a local accent at all - or at least I didn't think I did till I took that test. I don't sound like the guys from Car Talk or This Old House (those are what I think of as Boston accents). I fully enunciate all my 'r's in the correct places, and don't put them where they don't belong thankyouverymuch (classic Boston: cah for car and Donner for Donna - don't do that at all).

But apparently some Boston has crept into my vowel patterns... :tongue_smilie: (I'll maintain that the way we pronounce Mary/merry/marry is just phonetically correct and the rest of y'all are nuts, but you may have us on the Don/Dawn, Lora/Laura thing ;) )

I have only a very slight Boston accent. I do add the extra "r" in certain places (e.g. "drawr a picture" or "put the pastar in the pot"), which my DH teases me constantly about. And I have the "glottal stop" where I swallow the "t" in the 2nd syllable of words like mitten, kitten, mountain, fountain, etc. But I don't sound anything like Click & Clack or Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting.

The Lori/Laurie thing makes sense phonetically to me because in the former you've got /or/ like the word "nor" and the other has "au" which is often pronounced /aw/.

The only way I can get "Don" and "Dawn" to sound different is if I fake a New York accent and say "Duh-won" vs. "Daaaahn".

See, see... but "on" without the "n" is exactly the same as "awwwww". Spelling it is still not making me understand which of the two sounds you are pronouncing differently than what's in my head. :tongue_smilie:

At the next conference we should all get in a room and slowly pronounce Don/Dawn and Mary/merry/marry for each other. :lol:

OK, wait.

If "on without the n" = awww

And Dawn = D + "awww" + n

Then Dawn = D + "on without the n" + n

Then Dawn = D + on

Then Dawn = Don

Right?? ;)

Don and Dawn are hard for me. I thought "con" and "pawn" and can't hear much difference... if any.

BUT, Marry and say... Perry... I can hear the difference. So, when you go back to Merry and Marry... then the difference "can be" noticed, too. Is this like "lazy tongue" that we're doing? And, funny, first preferred way to say it is

"adjective /ˈɪn.trəs.tɪŋ//-trɪs-/ " instead of how it looks like it should be pronounced.

I liked the thread about the cringe inducing nickname.

The opposite used to happen to me. I named my dds lovely names and people kept changing them. WHY?

Youngest dd is Alexandra. The number of people that called her Alexandria was staggering. I finally started just telling them that I had not named her after a city in Eygpt. (Yes, I got strange looks for that :lol:)

Later she chose to shorten it to Lexy. Not Lexi which inspires cringes from me when I see it :lol: and definiately NOT Lex, she is not a bald super villian. :lol:

People are funny about names.

I know where you're coming from.

My oldest is named Everett, yes he was born in WA, but no, even though my dh is in the Navy we DID NOT name him after the Navy base or city. In fact my dh is going to be stationed there and luckily it will be for such a short time before deployment that we won't be moving with him. When we told Everett where his dad was being stationed next he said "Oh man, we don't have to move there right? I know I'll get teased." Which is unfortunate because my son loves his name. He usually goes by Ev (short e), and I got the name from a very short lived TV show "Relativity".

My dd also loves her name but hates that it's always mispronounced. Her name his Annika (scandinavian origin) and pronounced AH-ni-kuh (first syllable like "open up and say ah" and second has a short i) Usually when people first see it they call her uh-NEE-kuh, which she really hates. Her nickname is Anna (AH-nuh) but many have called her Anne, or Annie which actually makes her cringe. The worst was when my MIL was calling her ah-NEE, finally after we told her multiple times not to use that as neither we or dd liked it, my dd had enough and at age 8 looked right at her and said "My name is Annika Clare, I don't call you something weird, why do you do that to me?" It's never happened again, sure she was rude, but we'd tried to be nice about it for 8 flippin years.

My youngest is Lucas, and really dislikes being called Luke but will tolerate it if you don't know him well.

See, see... but "on" without the "n" is exactly the same as "awwwww". Spelling it is still not making me understand which of the two sounds you are pronouncing differently than what's in my head. :tongue_smilie:

At the next conference we should all get in a room and slowly pronounce Don/Dawn and Mary/merry/marry for each other. :lol:

That is a great idea! I have been following the pronunciation thread and I have to admit most of the time I am shaking my head and thinking. "But, those are the SAME sound' :tongue_smilie:

I also can not make myself differentiate between hill and heel but I think that is a mistraining from childhood that I can not shake. :lol:

While Dawn/Don and Erin/Aaron are different names because the first is for girls and the second is for boys, every pair would be pronounced identically here.

The Laurie and Lori examples I gave, for pronouncing them differently, came from the Texas side of our family :)

We have had a few people asked if we named Anya (Awn-yah) after the singer Enya (ehn-yah). I also had one nurse at her ped clinic who always called her ehn-ee-ah. Drove me nuts - finally figured out that she was parsing it as the word "any" plus an "a". No matter how many times I corrected her she would get it wrong, and we were there a LOT the first few months of her life due to some health issues.

When Willow was born, my Dad called her Willie right away. DH and I looked at each other aghast - we had announced her name months before and had never thought of that nickname, and Dad had never mentioned it before either! I correct him right away and he respected that. Within a couple of days a cousin sent an email saying that she couldn't wait to meet Willie! I corrected her too and it hasn't been a problem - don't give try to give other people's kids nicknames the moment they are born unless it comes about organically!

I think it boils down to that people only have so much room in our little brains. . .

It is simply much harder to remember an unusual name than a typical one. So, we make mistakes. No insult intended.

How much easier is it to rememer: 123456789 vs 467373027. Each number has nine digits, but . . .

So, if we name our kids unusual names, people will make mistakes. We all know thousands of people, and if we have to remember 2573 for one of them, we'll mess it up a lot more often than those named 1234.

FWIW, a little girl at our church is named "Eva" but you MUST pronounce it "Eh-Vuh" (short e) NOT "Eve-Uh" (long e). I like this little girl, who is one of a very few in my youngest class, and I like her parents, who are nice people and are also clients at our business. But, after being corrected a dozen or more times for messing up her name (and I did *think* about it after the first few times, but could never remember WHICH way to say it and inevitably said it wrong). . . so, eventually I stopped saying her name. EVER. I will find some other way to refer to "her" or "your daughter" but I won't say the name unless it is *immediately* after hearing one of her parents say it. I swear that I have PTSD from messing it up. (And, now that I am writing this, I am STILL not 100% sure that I don't have it backwards! Maybe the long E is what they want. I'd say I'm 80% sure, but would never risk actually saying it.)

So, when people mispronounce our (unusual) last name, I always just let it pass. Really, it's not such a big deal.

We have had a few people asked if we named Anya (Awn-yah) after the singer Enya (ehn-yah). I also had one nurse at her ped clinic who always called her ehn-ee-ah. Drove me nuts - finally figured out that she was parsing it as the word "any" plus an "a". No matter how many times I corrected her she would get it wrong, and we were there a LOT the first few months of her life due to some health issues.

When Willow was born, my Dad called her Willie right away. DH and I looked at each other aghast - we had announced her name months before and had never thought of that nickname, and Dad had never mentioned it before either! I correct him right away and he respected that. Within a couple of days a cousin sent an email saying that she couldn't wait to meet Willie! I corrected her too and it hasn't been a problem - don't give try to give other people's kids nicknames the moment they are born unless it comes about organically!

Clearly, you need to hang around with more Buffy fans. :D

Okay, this finally explains to me why I have had people either unable to say my name, or correct me on the pronunciation of my name. I was mystified when the latter happened to me, but now I see that some people feel strongly that certain names are only correct pronounced the way they pronounce them. I could not for the life of me imagine why someone was insisting that my name is KER-stin when it has been KEER-sten since the day I was born. I think I get where that person was coming from now (though I still think she's off her rocker for correcting me :tongue_smilie:).

If I saw "Kirsten" written, I would read it as rhyming with Thurston (like the millionaire on Gilligan's Island). But if you corrected me as saying KEER-sten, then I'd just have to make a mental note of it. Just like the Elena I grew up with who pronounced her name ELL-eh-nah rather than eh-LAY-nah.

Where's the jumping up and down raised hand smilie?

Bewitched

Bingo!!

When we correct people and say, "No...it's not Samantha. It's Tabitha." They usually give a strange look, kind of embarrassed, and say...."Why in the world did I say Samantha??" I'm usually the one that has to tell them that they were thinking of Bewitched. :lol:

As for the accent on the wrong part of the name......yeah, it totally changes the name. My youngest daughter is Shawnee (Shaw-nee....accent more on the Shaw part). Quite a few people put the accent on the nee part (ShawNEE).....bugs me so much. I want to say, "No. I named her SHAWnee not ShawNEE." But, I don't say anything. If they'd call her Dakota or Cheyenne then I would. :D

I do medical transcription for Children's Hospital Boston, and while most of the doctors do not have the native accent, once in a while I will get one that has a thick Bostonian accent and I have to really pay attention to figure out what he/she is saying. :tongue_smilie:

The vet I used to work for was from Boston originally (we are in the midwest). One day he was counseling a client about a dog's tooth. He talked about the condition of one tooth and the other tooth. The client looked at him after a few minutes of nodding and sincerely asked, "What's the udder tooth?"

She was so embarrassed, his accent was so subtle, but certain words you could hear the Boston Irish accent loud and clear.

Try introducing yourself as Jen, and patiently explaining for the millionth time that this is NOT short for Jennifer. And if the person is writing my name while I spell it for them, they try to correct me. As in, "Jennette has an 'a' in it and only one 'n' you know.". "Not when it is my name."

And having established all of that, it isn't Jean, Jeanne, Jeannie, Jenny, and definitely not Jan. Who could guess that Jen would be so hard?

LOL. This thread is good therapy :lol:

I posted my pronunciations and I really cannot imagine them sounding different unless I forced them.

I do say Aaron/Erin differently, but not with the beginnings. Sometimes it's Air-ron, other times it's Air-run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMnTDVXGcI

You're so cute. :D

I say almost all the words the same as you did. The only ones that were different were Aaron/Erin. I say Erin for both. And, your first word Don. I say it like Dahn.

ETA: Ooops....I meant to change the font size of all of my post....but forgot to highlight my first sentence. Now I can't make it match the rest....just wanted you to know that I didn't intend to minimize me saying you were cute. Heehee.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Upon further review, and after hearing Carrie say "Dawn" and "Don" together, I have decided that it's not that the "w" sound is being removed from "Dawn," but rather a "w" sound is being added to "Don."

So really, instead of saying "Don is when the sun comes up," you're saying "Dawnald Duck is Mickey Mouse's best friend." So you really are saying "awwwww," but to you it's "oooooo." I can see the confusion all so clearly now. (It helps to "hear" Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinnyin my head when I'm trying to figure it all out.)

But just as an FYI for you who go by Ca-rrie: If you ever said in a Jersey accent that your name is Carrie (a as in cat), I would probably still call you care-ry, because I just can't get my mouth to say Ca-rrie without sounding like an idiot!

But just as an FYI for you who go by Ca-rrie: If you ever said in a Jersey accent that your name is Carrie (a as in cat), I would probably still call you care-ry, because I just can't get my mouth to say Ca-rrie without sounding like an idiot!

Nah... it's just what you get use to... You think it sounds crazy, because you don't "think" of the name that way. Once you realize that "a" is not to sound like "e" it's much easier. And, I don't usually correct people, but it does make it easier when you're teaching your kids how to spell, if you say things properly.

(wash is not warsh) :)

That is a great idea! I have been following the pronunciation thread and I have to admit most of the time I am shaking my head and thinking. "But, those are the SAME sound' :tongue_smilie:

I also can not make myself differentiate between hill and heel but I think that is a mistraining from childhood that I can not shake. :lol:

In most parts of the south "hill" and "heel" are the same! :lol:

Nah... it's just what you get use to... You think it sounds crazy, because you don't "think" of the name that way. Once you realize that "a" is not to sound like "e" it's much easier. And, I don't usually correct people, but it does make it easier when you're teaching your kids how to spell, if you say things properly.

(wash is not warsh) :)

When I say it like you say it, I feel like my hair should be a mile high and I should be chewing gum and rocking out to Bon Jovi. :tongue_smilie:

I posted my pronunciations and I really cannot imagine them sounding different unless I forced them.

I do say Aaron/Erin differently, but not with the beginnings. Sometimes it's Air-ron, other times it's Air-run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMnTDVXGcI

You're so cute...

I didn't really hear much of a difference in any of them, except the end of Aaron, like you said.

I feel like we should all get on here and make videos now. :)

So really, instead of saying "Don is when the sun comes up," you're saying "Dawnald Duck is Mickey Mouse's best friend." So you really are saying "awwwww," but to you it's "oooooo." I can see the confusion all so clearly now. (It helps to "hear" Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinnyin my head when I'm trying to figure it all out.)

Nonononono. :) (I think you're actually responding to that Youtube video, in which case your analysis has some merit, but your printed response was quoting my explanation of my pronunciation, so I'm 'splaining more :D) Your description may be how people in Joisey pronounce it, but not here! There is NO "W" sound in "aw" - it's a phoneme that happens to have the letter 'w', but there's no "w' sound in it. 'Round these parts, Don and Dawn both have one syllable. No My Cousin Vinny up here - that's an entirely different accent. :D

When I go down south (well, I'm most familiar with East Tennessee), I know my brother's two-syllable name will be converted to one - "Brahn", and my dad's one-syllable name will get two "VEE-yunce". Down there my two syllable name usually becomes "Airn". Do they pronounce Aaron that way down there too? ;)

I may not agree with the NJ Don (or was it Dawn), but the Carrie was spot on (especially the mom's - hey, it's her name! :))

You're so cute. :D

I say almost all the words the same as you did. The only ones that were different were Aaron/Erin. I say Erin for both. And, your first word Don. I say it like Dahn.

ETA: Ooops....I meant to change the font size of all of my post....but forgot to highlight my first sentence. Now I can't make it match the rest....just wanted you to know that I didn't intend to minimize me saying you were cute. Heehee.

Thank you :D

I'm horrible with phonics (I don't think I actually learned how to read with phonics...), so I don't understand how Don would be said. The only way I can make myself say it how you spelled it (Dahn) sounds like I'm gasping for breath, and it's a mash between "Don" and "Dan". I suppose I can see it, but idk how to make my voice sound less harsh with it.

You're so cute...

I didn't really hear much of a difference in any of them, except the end of Aaron, like you said.

I feel like we should all get on here and make videos now. :)

I never knew that others thought there was a difference in those words.

I always learned they were homophones and assumed everyone thought that :tongue_smilie:

I love hearing peoples' accents though. My friends swear I have an accent, but they're from Jersey and came here young so their accent is a mash of Massachusetts and Jersey.

I can not pronounce the difference between Dawn and Don either. In fact, I usually can't hear the difference and have to ask boy or girl? :lol:

I can hear but not pronouce the difference between Joy and Joey. arrgh

That's me, I sound odd when I pronounce them differently. Same with Lori, Laurie. It's so subtle to me. I can do it, make them different, but I don't really hear it, kwim.

If you were from the Deep South, you would have no trouble pronouncing all of the above names differently. :lol:

Nonononono. :) (I think you're actually responding to that Youtube video, in which case your analysis has some merit, but your printed response was quoting my explanation of my pronunciation, so I'm 'splaining more :D) Your description may be how people in Joisey pronounce it, but not here! There is NO "W" sound in "aw" - it's a phoneme that happens to have the letter 'w', but there's no "w' sound in it. 'Round these parts, Don and Dawn both have one syllable. No My Cousin Vinny up here - that's an entirely different accent. :D

When I go down south (well, I'm most familiar with East Tennessee), I know my brother's two-syllable name will be converted to one - "Brahn", and my dad's one-syllable name will get two "VEE-yunce". Down there my two syllable name usually becomes "Airn". Do they pronounce Aaron that way down there too? ;)

They are only one syllable when I say them, but they don't sound the same. :D

I'm horrible with phonics (I don't think I actually learned how to read with phonics...), so I don't understand how Don would be said. The only way I can make myself say it how you spelled it (Dahn) sounds like I'm gasping for breath, and it's a mash between "Don" and "Dan". I suppose I can see it, but idk how to make my voice sound less harsh with it.

Well, here's what I think......just say it the way you say it. It's fine with me. :D Seriously though. So much of this is just accent....or where you were born....or where you grew up. I don't think it's a matter of right and wrong....black and white. There are many shades of grey (gray)....right? :001_smile: I don't think you should change the way you say your words, because I don't think it's wrong. Some might be different than what I say....but that doesn't mean they are wrong.

I liked the thread about the cringe inducing nickname.

The opposite used to happen to me. I named my dds lovely names and people kept changing them. WHY?

Youngest dd is Alexandra. The number of people that called her Alexandria was staggering. I finally started just telling them that I had not named her after a city in Eygpt. (Yes, I got strange looks for that :lol:)

Later she chose to shorten it to Lexy. Not Lexi which inspires cringes from me when I see it :lol: and definiately NOT Lex, she is not a bald super villian. :lol:

People are funny about names.

Alexandria is also a city in Minnesota if that helps in any way. I have a name that gets mispronounce frequently and it really doesn't bother me, I think that's to be expected with an unusual name. My son has an initials nickname and he gets peeved when people use his full real name. He only has to use it to travel since its on his passport but that kind of cheeses him... I worry he is going to correct a TSA agent at some point!

Eta... I do notice when people mispronounce my name repeatedly. If someone is interested in me as a friend, they will learn to pronounce it properly. I don't get offended if they get it wrong, but I do think it's a sign that they aren't super interested in me.

Edited by RanchGirl

Yea! Another Anya! I got asked about Enya, too, even though I was born quite a while before she became popular. After the Disney movie Anastasia came out more people read my name correctly. For a few years, anyway...

Would you believe that you are the very first person to ever get it without any hints? And we have friends who claim to be Buffy fans...:tongue_smilie:

Wait, did you really name her after that Anya?

Wait, did you really name her after that Anya?

Not particularly after her, but that's where we heard it. We couldn't agree on any names, one day the conversation went like this:

DH: You probably want to name her Buffy!

Me: No, even I wouldn't do that!

DH: Cordelia? Drusilla? Anya? Hey, wait a minute, I kind of like that name.

Me: Actually, it is really pretty. (looks it up on Google) and it means gracious.

We both decided that it was uncommon but not too "weird" for DH, and we are big Joss Whedon fans, so it just worked for us. We liked Willow too but it just didn't fit ODD. When YDD came along we knew it was the name for her - I really like tree names but couldn't talk DH into Rowan.

Not particularly after her, but that's where we heard it. We couldn't agree on any names, one day the conversation went like this:

DH: You probably want to name her Buffy!

Me: No, even I wouldn't do that!

DH: Cordelia? Drusilla? Anya? Hey, wait a minute, I kind of like that name.

Me: Actually, it is really pretty. (looks it up on Google) and it means gracious.

We both decided that it was uncommon but not too "weird" for DH, and we are big Joss Whedon fans, so it just worked for us. We liked Willow too but it just didn't fit ODD. When YDD came along we knew it was the name for her - I really like tree names but couldn't talk DH into Rowan.

Are you also an Anne McCaffrey fan?

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

Yes I am - even got to meet her at Dragon*Con once! You ladies are very observant here! :)

:D That's cool you got to meet her! Did you know they have a screenwriter for doing a Dragonriders of Pern movie that is scheduled to start filming in 2012? Though I've hated just about every book-turned-into-a-movie. (Ella Enchanted was a horrible mangling of a wonderful book! And I refuse to watch the new Pride and Prejudice.)

I was looking at a list of all the books she's written yesterday. I knew there were a lot (and I've read most of them) but it was breathtaking to see the whole list! When did she have time for anything else?!