Menu

if OPGTR and 100EZ didn't exsist...

Koerarmoca

It's simple and gets the job done. After using PP with each of my elder two dc, who are fantastic readers, I was bored with it. I tried to use OPGtTR, because it just looked so much more fun, but my ds hated it. I pulled PP back out, and he's an excellent reader, too--although he did Explode the Code in addition to PP. I'm using these two again with my fourth (last) dc, also.

Webster's Speller, of course!

I also like PP, Word Mastery, Blend Phonics, Pollard's Reading and Spelling series, School Phonics...anything on my phonics books page or Don's education page. He has a ton listed, there are more in his spelling book and reading programs from the past links. I would only use Alpha-Phonics across the page to prevent guessing from word families.

The first grade Pathway Readers program is what I use. I used to teach at an Amish school (four years' worth) and I used it there, so it's like falling off a log for me. It's also designed for 18 year old Amish girls with an eighth grade education to use to teach little six year old Amish children who barely speak English how to read in 6 months, so how hard can it be?

I usually start when my student is 5, not 6, and go as slowly as I like. It includes everything on this page:

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1310124332-1338833&subject=6&category=926

Phonics Pathways was what we used. I supplemented with Bob books, and other little paper readers (and made my own), ETC (the first 3 primers), and some Monti games. But it could stand on its own, I think--I just like providing lots of opportunities to use the skills in a fun way.

BTW, is 100 Easy Lessons the one that uses a different font for some vowel sounds and dipthongs? I think I picked that up at one point to look at it, but it drove me nuts.

After blending was established we just used A Beka's A Handbook for Reading along with their readers for practice. Pretty straight forward.

Abeka Phonics....love their program!

:iagree: