Menu

X-Post: What are your *all-time favorite* high school homeschool curriculums (m)

My favorite high school homeschool curriculums are:

Videotext Algebra

IEW Student Writing Intensive DVDs (SWI "C")

& I know this isn't a curriculum but AWANA High School Bible study :)

These are the curricululms that have made my homeschooling more effective, more fun and *easier*. (a key benefit is ease of use in our busy household).

What are yours? And why:?

Lisaj, mom to 5: K-4,3,5,8,10

Writing Strands and Progeny Press Study Guides.

I have other favorite resources as well, but these are the ones that come to mind that are specifically made for homeschooling. I must say I am intrigued my TOG and would consider using it if we had to do it all over again.

But based on our 1 year of highschool so far, here are our favorites:

- Jacobs Algebra / Geometry

(gentle; incremental; and makes math interesting/connected to the real world)

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

(fun, gentle intro into literary analysis, with really interesting side units)

- doing "The Great Books" along the lines of WTM

(aloud, together we're all having fun and getting a lot out of it)

- Garlic Press publishers literary guides

(literary elements explained; great discussion questions; lots of good writing assignment ideas)

My all-time favorite high school resources are WTM/WEM. They gave me the lifeline I needed to salvage the 2nd half of 9th gr. w/my older dd.

I have completely switched over to WTM/WEM w/my younger dd and plan to use it until I am done hs'ing her.

WTM/WEM gives me the framework that I need to tailor a course to suit our needs. SWB has a unique talent for making plans of study accessible and doable for hs parents.

I also like Lingua Latina and Henle Latin for our Latin studies and Rod and Staff grammar.

1. IEW (SWI and SICC DVDs)
  2. Apologia: General Science through Physics
  3. Horizons Math (younger - we were so sad to outgrow it)
  4. Saxon Math (older)
  5. Sonlight (younger years - wonderful structure for a new hs-ing mom)
  6. Tapestry (Dialectic and Rhetoric level - 3rd & 4th years)

While not a curriculum, the WTM book was the most valuable resource of all.

~Brigid

Apologia science. It is the ONE program I have used with ALL of my kids and never questioned. I have changed math programs, english programs, etc., but we have used Apologia from the beginning and we LOVE it!

I have been pleased with Math Relief for Algebra and, after coming full circle through lots of other programs, am back to this one.

We like Analytical Grammar & Rod and Staff.

I really like Progeny Press guides also.

I'm hoping to add the IEW SWI "C" to this list after we use it!!

We really enjoyed Classical Writing-Aesop for the kids when they were younger.

Also:

SOTW--All 4 books

Abeka Grammar (although now I wish I'd used R&S)

Abeka Math (ONLY through 6th grade)

Lial's Introductory Algebra

Chalkdust Geometry--because of Dana Mosely's teaching; the Larson book is just OK.

Omnibus---this one has grown on me and I really do like it now

Writing Assessment Services with Cindy Marsch--her tutorials have really helped!

Writing Strands

Really?? Would you explain what it is you like about them? I don't want you to feel like you must defend your choice to me, but I have all these books and just HATE them. Maybe hearing why you like them will help me see them in a new light. I always feel bad that they are gathering dust on my self. :001_huh:

We mostly have used TWTM suggestions. There are too many amongst the grammar and logic that I love to list, so I'll just list the high school ones.

I am greatful to Singapore math for taking my older one's ps tangled mind-mess and straightening it out. And I am greatful to NEM for presenting the material in such a way that he understands it.

Conceptual Physics has been a great hit, but I wish I'd read the part about atoms and molecules when the children were about 3 and started asking questions about such things. I could have given much better answers.

Draw Squad and Artistic Pursuits

TWTM/TWEM way of doing literature. Writing Strands was helpful preparing for this, as well as TWTM grammar and logic stage lists.

We are enjoying Ecce Romani, despite its being our hardest subject.

I am extremely grateful to TWTM for giving me a way of taking full advantage of the flexibility of homeschooling, and for giving my children such a rich education. Very cool!

-Nan

Sonlight readers & history (cores 100 & 300) with WTM/WEM discussion/question methods. My teen has enjoyed integrated history & lit very much.

Chalkdust Math -- after years of Saxon, he enjoys the instructor on the DVDs, and the more visual approach to math

Catechism books from CR Publications -- the series includes titles like Catholicism & Reason, Catholicism & Life, Catholicism & Society. These books present authentic catholic teaching in a way meaningful to today's students. They include references to the Catechism, Papal Encyclicals, and the Bible.

Brenda

American Literature Critical Thinking Course

by James Stobaugh (circa 2001)

(or so it used to be called...don't hear of it these days)

How Should We Then Live by Francis Shaeffer (book)

and DVD set by the same name

*In conjunction with:

Adventures In Art

by David Quine, Cornerstone Curriculum Project

(Suitable for all ages but profound when studied along with the Shaeffer book and DVD's)

Not "curriculum" per se' but worthy of note:

All works by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Geo

Bible = various versions + concordances + Bible dictionaries + hermeneutics + Modern Reader's Bible (ed. by Moulton - looks at Bible from lit aspect) + timelines + maps + globe + McGee + MacArthur + Puritan writings + bio's ... and so on

History = overlaps with Bible, but WTM, WEM, HTRB, KF, Oxford Companion to Classical Lit (I look up stuff in here *before* reading the GB), 1940's Encyclopedia Britannica (written like they thought their readers actually had functional brains!)

Greek = Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce - simple and clear with answers to his workbook ex's on website

Latin = Henle (plenty of drill, answer book, takes you past elementary stages) + Wheelock's (hard, but more voc and better ancient writings than Henle) ...... the two complement each other well

Math = various histories of math (Smith, Cajori, etc.) in conjunction with the blurbs from encyclopedias + timeline + R&S (I use it as a drill program, very clear and organized) + Klaf's "Arithmetic Refresher" (keeps their brains nimble:) + NEM (also keeps brains nimble - in arith ... not mathematics) + Adrian's list (for the real math - hard, but fun) + any and every old math books of all kinds (15yod found a 1960's Alg. book by Welchon and Krickenberger that's lots of fun. She's doing this before she does the Frank Allen book that her sisters are doing.)

Logic = histories of various kinds along with encyclopedias, etc. + old books by people like Isaac Watts, Jacques Maritain, etc. + Patrick Suppes's books (Adrian again. Haven't done them yet, but I really didn't care for the IL and TL series much. They did them, but there has got to be something better, IMHO.)

Grammar = ABeka (lots of practice, good writing sections, etc., but not enough diagramming practice) + Moutoux's sentence diagramming books

Spelling = WRTR (hard to use, but was able to take the teacher's training for free back in the '80's) + Phonics Pathways (used it as a reader, along with R&S's Pathway Readers) + Spelling Power (too random for me, but great lists - we still use this a couple times a week)

Writing = WS (used it, but too scattered for me) + IEW (too expensive and time consuming, what with the videos and all, but dc liked it - never finished it) + some things from Memoria Press by Matt ? where dc rewrote fairy tales and such (dc really liked those) + got rid of all distractions such that things could come OUT of their brains vs always being cluttered INTO their brains :)

Rhetoric = Elements of Style (*I* didn't get it, but dc did.) + Rulebook (not too intimidating for the youngers) + Edgar Roberts book for the high school group ... name escapes me + Oxford (too scattered for me and some of examples were disgusting, but had dc skim it - still not clear whether it was worth it) ..... They haven't finished using all our rhetoric materials, so can't comment on rest.

Science = WTM's basic idea + GB's + encyclo's + hist + odds and ends

Can't remember the art and music right now.

HTH,

KathyP

• 3 weeks later...

Jensen's Grammar - my daughter would disagree, but her grammar is considerably better.

Speed Reading 4 Kids. Though the materials are cheesy, it worked well for dd.

Sequential Spelling for Adults - seems cheesy and easy, but again worked well

Story of the World (great for middle grades also).

BJU Spanish I and II

Life of Fred math books (Algebra through Calculus)

K12 curriculum has been a GREAT fit for ds.

My favorite high school homeschool curriculums are:

Videotext Algebra

IEW Student Writing Intensive DVDs (SWI "C")

& I know this isn't a curriculum but AWANA High School Bible study :)

These are the curricululms that have made my homeschooling more effective, more fun and *easier*. (a key benefit is ease of use in our busy household).

What are yours? And why:?

Lisaj, mom to 5: K-4,3,5,8,10

Another :thumbup: for IEW as posted above it has "made my homeschooling more effective, more fun and *easier*."

Walch's Power Basics World History has been a great spine for my history hating middle ds. We used PB WH1- Prehistory to the Middle Ages along with STOW 1 and 2 CD's and some Kingfisher in JrHigh. This year in 9th we used PB WH2- Renaissance to the Late 1800's and various other materials. Next year we will be using PB WH3- 1900 to Present with WP SS (Modern History with an indepth study of aviation- LOL).

Power Basics are written at a 4th-5th grade level and aligned to 6-12 grade standards. They have short written sections interspersed with questions. This way I know that he has read and understood the material. This is a worktext. There are no pictures. This is strictly a get-it-done overview that works well as a spine for a young adult that does not have any enthusiam for the topic. These books have also "made my homeschooling more effective, more fun and *easier*."

HTH-

Mandy

Favorite Math:

Saxon Math drills (early elementary)

Singapore Math (late elementary)

Teaching Textbooks (geometry)

Lial Intermediate Algebra

Favorite English:

Abeka Grammar (middle school) - ds thought SAT sentence correction section "easy"

Writing Step-By-Step (early middle school for 5 paragraph essay)

Writeshop (late middle school)

Sequential Spelling (late middle school) - helped dysgraphic nonspeller to spell

Progeny Press, Masterprose, & PinkMonkey online (lit guides)

Wordly Wise 3000 (middle school, high school)

whole novels instead of anthologies

Favorite History:

Cornerstone history books & biographies (elementary)

Hakim's History of US (middle school)

PA Homeschoolers AP classes (high school)

Least Favorites:

Apologia Chemistry (but it may have been because of the subject)

Saxon Math (high school)

Shamelessly curious - what did you switch from (to WEM/WTM)?

=)

And, how/why was WEM/WTM better for you?

Oh my! Rhondabee, I'm so sorry! I didn't see your question!

I began my dd's 9th gr. year with Ombnibus I. After a few months of attempting to get through the rather daunting list of reading assignments, I switched over to WTM. (Thank you, Nan!) It was JUST what the Dr. ordered. :001_smile: It sets out a straightforward, DOABLE plan for high school Great Books/History study. It gave me more control of how we were going to proceed, and it leaves it up to us to wrestle with what we encounter without doing the thinking FOR us. Love, love, love that.

My older dd is not a voracious reader. The plan in WTM is flexible, so you don't have to read all of the literature on the list. You can pick and choose. SWB gives you a number range of books to read from 8-20, depending upon the individual student.

We watched the TC video on The Odyssey, and I would have watched more if I had known about them sooner. We followed the WTM/WEM plan pretty much to the letter. I did choose a different resource for our history spine. (Spielvogel's HO)

I used TOG yr. 2 w/my younger dd, but have switched over to WTM for the rest of our school years. It suits my style, and my dd is doing very well with it. :001_smile:

My older dd is not a voracious reader. The plan in WTM is flexible, so you don't have to read all of the literature on the list. You can pick and choose. SWB gives you a number range of books to read from 8-20, depending upon the individual student.

That is my ds. It's not that he can't or won't read, but other than his fantasy books - and he takes *long* breaks from those! - he *doesn't* read anything more than what is required!

I had also thought about getting HO just to see if that might help alleviate some of my worry (guilt!) about over-loading him with history & lit. I knew Lori D. had used it, so it's nice to see someone else has, too.

It would be nice if SWB had a "Hey, if you only want to do 8 books, consider these first" list - LOL!

Thanks for the reply! I had forgotten I had even asked~

Rhonda

Guest Sandy3boys

This is the most effective approach I've ever seen. The ANI approach - Affirmative, Negative and Interesting topics really help them come up with ideas and organize their thoughts.

(From CIRCE Institute)

I love IEW:001_smile:

I love Lightening Literature guides

I love TeenPact

I love Apologia

Memoria Press- we have Loved everything we've ever used from them - PL, CL, Christian Studies, Famous Men.

Our Mother Tongue!

Veritas Press history cards

Not a curriculum but we love Bethleham books!

SOTW - we have the books and CD's- my kids never tire of listening.

Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History- used daily

our HUGE Atlas- used daily

Greenleaf Guides.

Beautiful Feet Guide- History of the Horse, Geography

I like Videotext