Menu

How much longer do we have? A puberty question...

My soon to be 11 year old has little bre*sts, a steadily changing body shape and seems to be packing a little weight around her mid-section, a horrid attitude much of the time, stinky pits, slightly oily skin and a tiny bit of acne (just a few blackheads here and there), and now she has gone and gotten p*bic hair. ;) I'm going this weekend to get her a few feminine supplies, and she is very well educated about puberty. So, wise WTM mommas, about how much longer do you suspect we have before she starts her period? I know it varies, but I'm going for an estimate here. To be honest, I about freaked when I saw the appearance of the p*bic hair (just ask thatcyndigirl, lol) because I didn't know things had progressed so far. Oh! And she has her first little crush. :svengo: It's pretty sweet because he is my good friend's son, and he is adorable and loves to impress Anna.

My girl is growing up...

My ped said underarm hair is the last sign--sometime after that, about 6 -12 months for Aunt Flo to show.

:D

Your mileage may vary...

She has a little hair under her arms, but it's very light.

How tall is she? How much does she weigh? My oldest was a chunky baby, toddler and kid. She is now a perfect weight. She started at 11 1/2.

She is 4'10 and 88 lbs.

The female pediatrician my daughter saw yesterday told me 1-2 years from the beginning of breasts to menarche. Then she'll have about 2 years after menarche before she stops growing in height.

:iagree: mostly. But, my eldest started at 13 and is still growing at almost 16. She's 5'7"!! I'm only (barely) 5'2", dh is 5'6".

I will add that it was noticeable when her hips started to spread (of course, she's reeeeeally skinny). It was about 6 months from that point.

That's what our pedi said the other day. I hadn't noticed the underarm hair. :( I am hoping for at least 6-12 months for my 12 yr old. She is so tiny. She needs a couple more inches. I should have married a 6 footer, which I did not. lol

See my post for reassurance. ;)

:iagree: mostly. But, my eldest started at 13 and is still growing at almost 16. She's 5'7"!! I'm only (barely) 5'2", dh is 5'6".

I will add that it was noticeable when her hips started to spread (of course, she's reeeeeally skinny). It was about 6 months from that point.

Wow. You guys sound like us, we are just a little taller, although my oldest son managed to gain some height. My youngest is never going to be 5'6". Her girl cousins are so small, save for one. If she can make it to 5'3" I will be thrilled. My sil is 4'9" (although it works for her. She is super cute and very stylish.) I have my fingers crossed. I am ready to start giving dd whole milk every day, I swear. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Wow. You guys sound like us, we are just a little taller, although my oldest son managed to gain some height. My youngest is never going to be 5'6". Her girl cousins are so small, save for one. If she can make it to 5'3" I will be thrilled. I have my fingers crossed.

My dad is 5'6", my mom is 5'4" and is actually super-tall for her family (many of her male cousins are shorter than I am). My aunts, sisters and cousins (except for my cousin whose dad was super-tall) are all my height. She was tiny *forever* I have been sent to the nutritionist multiple times because my kids are so small. My other two are still *really* small. My 10 year old son weighs under 50 lbs, but a bone scan said he would eventually be around 5'8". My eldest just starting shooting up by leaps and bounds around 12 and then she had a couple other growth spurts. You just cannot tell.

So, hold on to that hope! :D

Yeah, you want them to be at least tall enough to see over the dashboard without a pillow! LOL

(No offense to those who need a pillow...):D

I got pulled over on a regular basis when I started driving because the police thought I looked too young to drive. Of course, people now think I'm *way* too young to have teenagers. ;)

Wow. You guys sound like us, we are just a little taller, although my oldest son managed to gain some height. My youngest is never going to be 5'6". Her girl cousins are so small, save for one. If she can make it to 5'3" I will be thrilled. My sil is 4'9" (although it works for her. She is super cute and very stylish.) I have my fingers crossed. I am ready to start giving dd whole milk every day, I swear. ;)

My dd is 4'9" right now, and really desperate to make it to 5', lol (my exact height). She's almost 2 years past her first period, and before those last few inches she was so worried that I had to check with the doctor. He said you can definitely keep growing past that two years, and it's even possible to have a growth spurt (she's never really had one).

She has a very developed figure, so is at least spared the indignity of being mistaken for younger than her age, :D.

Well, let me see if I can totally throw you...My oldest dd started going through the "changes" about the age of 11 (she had always been a tall, thin, active child). I thought for sure she would be starting soon. She is now 15 1/2, 5'2" and about 180lbs (we're not sure why things changed so drastically for her. Her whole personality has changed over the last couple years also. She is more depressed, irritable & grouchy for lack of better words)but she still hasn't started her cycle yet. Dd #2 was alway tall, thin and active as well. She started the changes at about 11 also. She is now 5'7" (an inch taller than me), about 120lbs and started her cycle at the age of 12 1/2. So I'm really no help for you, but I guess a good example of how random it can be.

My soon to be 11 year old has little bre*sts, a steadily changing body shape and seems to be packing a little weight around her mid-section, a horrid attitude much of the time, stinky pits, slightly oily skin and a tiny bit of acne (just a few blackheads here and there), and now she has gone and gotten p*bic hair. ;) I'm going this weekend to get her a few feminine supplies, and she is very well educated about puberty. So, wise WTM mommas, about how much longer do you suspect we have before she starts her period? I know it varies, but I'm going for an estimate here. To be honest, I about freaked when I saw the appearance of the p*bic hair (just ask thatcyndigirl, lol) because I didn't know things had progressed so far. Oh! And she has her first little crush. :svengo: It's pretty sweet because he is my good friend's son, and he is adorable and loves to impress Anna.

My girl is growing up...

I could have written this. The only thing different is that dd's crush is an older man and doesn't know dd exists. Well, at least in *that* manner.

If dd makes it to the first week of October (she will be 12) I'll be happy.

The usual start (average) for a girl is somewhere between 12 & 14. But in all rarities cases have been known to happen from 7/8 - 17. It wideley varies, but usually once they start going through the final changes, it happens somewhere in the next 12 months. Its too much of a variability to pinpoint down though.

We've found that it's about a year from the first sign of breast buds, weight right around 100 pounds, although one got it at 90 pounds and another 105, some pubic hair, a few months before there will be a noticeable discharge on undies that's crusty by the time they hit the laundry room. Remember that?

I am finding this thread very interesting. My oldest started with the 'changes' when she was 9 so I was expecting her period to start within a year or so. She just turned 12 two weeks ago and she has not started. She is 5"7' and weighs 113 lbs. I guess the signs don't really mean anything. It will come when it comes. (how's that for profound? :001_smile:)

Thats a tough one. I dont really think theres an answer. I was 9 years old when I started my period, but it wasnt until I was around 13 that I started developing in any other aspect. I guess everyone is different that way.

:iagree: Dd11 has had pubic and underarm hair for a year now, and the buds started to pop out about a year ago. The hair has progressed, the buds have slowed. She's impatient and has me check almost daily.:lol::lol::lol: She's always telling me hers are bigger than mine and that she needs bras. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Well, let me see if I can totally throw you...My oldest dd started going through the "changes" about the age of 11 (she had always been a tall, thin, active child). I thought for sure she would be starting soon. She is now 15 1/2, 5'2" and about 180lbs (we're not sure why things changed so drastically for her. Her whole personality has changed over the last couple years also. She is more depressed, irritable & grouchy for lack of better words)but she still hasn't started her cycle yet. Dd #2 was alway tall, thin and active as well. She started the changes at about 11 also. She is now 5'7" (an inch taller than me), about 120lbs and started her cycle at the age of 12 1/2. So I'm really no help for you, but I guess a good example of how random it can be.

You might want to have the 15 year old checked for PCOS. Has she been to the dr. recently?