Menu

The Care & Keeping of You - ok?

I discovered the other day that my 8 yo now needs deodorant. :001_huh: So I'm wanting to get her a book to help with discussion of impending changes... *sigh* I've heard mostly great things about The Care and Keeping of You, but I've heard a few negatives about it too. Is there anything actually objectionable in that book? For an 8 yo? Would you recommend The Body Book: It's a God Thing by Nancy Rue instead? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I like the Care and Keeping of You because there wasn't too much information. Some of the other books I looked at for dd included the mechanics of s3x and ma$turbation. I just didn't see the need for all that.

I did get the collection with the feelings book and the journal.

The only iffy thing I noticed were the drawings on how to insert a tampon. Yikes! That's fine for a girl who is ready for that information but it's a little bit uncomfortable for a younger girl and any little brothers who happen to see the book sitting in the car and pick it up (hypothetically and all that ;) ).

I love The Care and Keeping of You. It's the book I'm planning on getting my DD when the time comes.

Also, on a related topic....when did 7/8 become the age for deodorant? DD has 2 friends - both 7 - who have started wearing deodorant in the last 6 months! One took their DD to the pedi because she was worried about precocious puberty and he told the mom that this is the new average age to start. I don't remember needing deodorant until middle school...

I haven't seen The Care and Keeping of You but I really like The Body Book because it comes from a Biblical and also a pro-parental rights perspective. For example, when discussing about tampons, TBB stresses respecting family rules about a girl using pads only if applicable.

I love The Care and Keeping of You. It's the book I'm planning on getting my DD when the time comes.

Also, on a related topic....when did 7/8 become the age for deodorant? DD has 2 friends - both 7 - who have started wearing deodorant in the last 6 months! One took their DD to the pedi because she was worried about precocious puberty and he told the mom that this is the new average age to start. I don't remember needing deodorant until middle school...

I was stunned when I realized Becca needed it, but I shouldn't have been. I remember starting deodorant in third grade, and I was very late in other aspects of puberty.

Is that the book with the cute black and white line drawings? The one with the little kids under the sheets masturbating? ;) If so, I really liked the info and conversational tone... but the drawings...I could have lived without the drawings.

My liberal self ended up donating it to Goodwill. ;) I felt so guilty.

I can talk about masturbation, and I'm all for it...but those cute little illustrations...why?

No, but I know that one--we passed it up b/c we weren't ready for the mast and sx yet.

Care and Keeping is an American Girl book. It's really nicely done and reassuring. THey do have some drawings of girls' breasts --so the girls don't feel funny if they don't look like the "typical" girl. We thought it was very well done.

No, but I know that one--we passed it up b/c we weren't ready for the mast and sx yet.

Care and Keeping is an American Girl book. It's really nicely done and reassuring. THey do have some drawings of girls' breasts --so the girls don't feel funny if they don't look like the "typical" girl. We thought it was very well done.

Oh, I love the AG one. We had that. I just looked it up on Amazon. I wonder what book I am thinking about?

I liked The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls, by American Girl. I thought it was pretty gentle, and I liked that it included the stuff about periods and breasts and such along with less intimate stuff like pimples and deodorant. DD really liked it as well. I remember looking at the Nancy LaRue one and for some reason rejected it for DD. I appreciated the Biblical perspective, but maybe it had more discussion about love and s3x than I wanted? I can't remember. My DD is only 9, and I'm not interested in discussions about love and s3x for her yet (unless she starts asking questions); I just don't really want those thoughts in her head yet. But she needs the information about physical changes, and she's the kind of kid who doesn't want me to sit her down for a talk. I thought it would be best for her to have a book that was simple and explained the facts, so that she could digest them on her schedule, and then she can ask me questions if she has them. (This is a kid who has been surprisingly non-curious about how babies are made. She knows how they grow and has watched births and everything, but she's never asked for more explanation than the one I gave her several years ago of "a part from the mom and a part from the dad." And I've been pregnant and/or nursing, which affects my own cycles heavily, for the past decade, so her chances of walking in on me dealing with AF have been slim.)

I am currently reading The Care and Keeping of You with my 9yo dd. For the most part I like it. It does a good job of talking about all of the changes that come with puberty, not just breasts and periods. It talks about changes in hair, skin, body odor, etc. However, there are two things I do not like. First is the previously mentioned page showing how to insert a tampon. It just seems too graphic for the rest of the book. The second problem I have is that book almost assumes that girls have a negative self image. There is also the assumption that girls know what is generally considered sexy / attractive by our society and that they want to look that way. While I understand the idea of / need to arm girls with knowledge, it seems to me to almost put ideas into their heads that may not be there already.

All in all I would recommend the book, but for a younger girl or one who isn't very worldly I would read it with her so you can add your own commentary.

The only iffy thing I noticed were the drawings on how to insert a tampon. Yikes! That's fine for a girl who is ready for that information but it's a little bit uncomfortable for a younger girl and any little brothers who happen to see the book sitting in the car and pick it up (hypothetically and all that ;) ).

Yes, this was the only part my then-about-9-or-10yo dd balked at. She even said to my dh, "The whole tampon thing looks gross," and he said, "That's why Mom uses pads." (sorry for the TMI, but that cracked me up.)

:iagree: Otherwise a great book, imo.

So, for my just-turned-12yo niece who lives with her single dad (most recent change and moved to another state...has no family there or even a close church family yet) the AG book would be good? She is ever so worried about starting her cycle with her dad and not knowing what to do. I am hoping a book will ease her mind and give her something to refer back to.

TIA!

That was my initial reaction when I gave the book to dd1 when she was 9 or 10. BUT she started her cycle just before she turned 11, and she was invited to a pool party during her very first cycle. She wanted to go, and being familiar with the concept of using a tampon made the whole process a little easier.

I read this book with my 9yo daugher. I was fine with the tampon information, but we live in California and swim constantly in the summers. I want her to be comfortable with all the alternatives when she needs the information. She was fascinated and wanted to see one and take it apart and see how it works.

That was my initial reaction when I gave the book to dd1 when she was 9 or 10. BUT she started her cycle just before she turned 11, and she was invited to a pool party during her very first cycle. She wanted to go, and being familiar with the concept of using a tampon made the whole process a little easier.

Yes, Becca's a gymnast, so I'm wanting to get her comfortable with the idea of tampons. Thanks for the feedback everyone! I really do appreciate it. Love the Hive!