Menu

Can you tell me your high school (4 year) history/geog/social studies plan (m)

Hi, I just want to know your 9th/10th/11th/12th history course plans?

Below is just an example of what I am hoping people might share. If you would include curriculum you are using or plan to use, that would be fabulous!

Here's mine:

9th World History (Streams of Civilization)

10th Worldview (1/2cred-Thinking Like..Christian) (&SOTW, vol4 for no credit)

11th World History (Spielvogel History Odyssey or Omnibus????)

12th State History (I have *no* idea; local class?)

I'm a little worried because I don't think I am following our state's public school credit schedule for history/social studies. And I wonder how this will matter / or not matter for college entry in two years. But, I'll worry about that tomorrow!)

Thanks! Lisaj

We are WTMers here. My son may take American History as a junior at the CC; at home, however, he will have to do any reading that the CC may not require (Federalist Papers, Locke, etc.)

We find the WTM approach to history and literature works very well.

Jane

9th - BJU Geography

10th - Spielvogel's Western Civilization

11th - Bailey's The American Pageant (although my oldest decided to take US History at the community college instead!)

12th - Fraser's The History of Britain (along with a Survey of English Literature class at the community college) -- this is my oldest dd's plan for this fall

With my first, I followed TWTM schedule and simply gave a government credit for the time spent on Government readings, discussions, and also campaign work. I also gave a geography credit by adding in the ABEKA map book to the other work we were already doing. I also separeted US History as a separate credit.

This time, my daughter will have 1/2 credit in Ancient History, 1/2 credit in Geography, 1/2 credit in economics, 1/2 credit in government, 1 credit in US History and 1 credit in world history after ancient times. At least that is my plan with some of having been done already.

For my teen,

9th grade was a self-designed study of the period 1700 to 2000 using lots of books, DVDs (movies and some documentaries), plus music. (Since she started homeschooling in 7th we did a three year run through world history.)

10th grade -- out of the home AP US history using the American Pageant

11th grade -- out of the home AP Comparative Government and Politics using Hauss' book Comparative Politics: Domestic Responses to Global Challenges (which I'm selling along with a study guide on the sale board).

12th grade -- undecided as yet

Regards,

Kareni

we are half way through with our ds:

9th - Omnibus III Modernity

10th - Omnibus I Ancients

11th - SL American Gov. level 400

12th - SL British Lit and 1/2 credit for geography (because he missed it!)

Our Omnibus levels are off because he had the Omnibus II at a private school for 8th grade and then he came home for the rest.

Well, I first listed NY State requirements:

...social studies (four units), which includes one unit of American history, one-half unit in participation in government, and one- half unit of economics
- 1 unit = 1 year = 1 credit

Then I combined it with the 4-year plan (we did the first two years in 7th-8th after using Veritas for the earlier grades) and divided it into units to make the school people happy...

9th grade - Year Three (Early Modern)

.5 unit American History, .5 unit World History

10th Grade - Year 4 (Modern)

.5 unit American History, .5 unit World History

AND Government - .5 unit

11th Grade - Year 1 (Ancients)

1 unit Social Studies

We are just finishing this year up.So, our plan for next year is -

12th Grade - Year 2 (Med/Ren/Ref)

1 unit Elective

AND Economics - .5 unit

All in all, she will have 5 units of Social Studies, 1 more than she *needs*. This fulfills our state requirements and my own desires for her, so I was happy!

I am doing something very similar with my second daughter right now. She did Year one this year plus Geography, which I am treating as an elective. By the time she is done, she will probably have 6 units of Social Studies, but she is happy with that!

Oh - you wanted to know curriculum! We used Spielvogel Western Civ, The History of the American People (Johnson) and parts of BJU World and American textbooks as spines, plus a lot of reading and the Western Civ DVDs from The Teaching Company. For Government we used the Great Source book, plus some other reading. For Economics....I am still figuring out that one!

has studied:

8th grade: Early US History (SL 100 + Critical Thinking in US Hist Bks 1 & 2)

9th grade: Late US History (SL 100 + Critical Thinking in US Hist Bks 3 & 4)

10th grade: Early 20th Century History (1900 - 1960 w/SL300)

11th grade: Late 20th Century History (1960 - 1999 w/SL 300) - 1 semester

11th grade: American Gov't (Great Source) - 1 semester

For his senior year, he is not planning on studying history because he's interested in science/engineering. He may take Psychology at the cc in the spring semester.

HTH,

Brenda

9th--World History: Spielvogel's Human Odyssey

10th--American History: Boorstin's A History of the United States

11th--Government: Great Source's American Government

12th--Geography/Economics: ABeka;

Philosophy, Ethics, and World Views:R.C. Sproul's DVDs The Consequences of Ideas, Sire's The Universe Next Door, Christian School International's Exploring: Ethics

At that age, they have some say in what we do.

DH 15 is doing the following:

9th grade (already completed) 1 year survey of world history

10th grade (just completing) church history; sociology

11th grade: American history, government, and civics

12th grade: probably none

DH 13 will start high school in the fall. Here are our tentative plans:

9th grade: geography

10th grade: world history, modern era

11th grade: world history, ancient era

12th grade: American history, government, and civics

We are on a wacky schedule because we just started hsing when the younger was in 6th grade, so it's just my goal to make it through the 4 year cycle once. For some reason I can't remember, we started with medieval, so what we have left now is modern and ancient.

This is my tentative plan for high school:

9th: Ancient history (through 400AD)

10th: Medieval through the mid-1800s

11th: mid-1800s through present day, focus on U.S. history

12th: American government (1 sem.) and social science elective (1 sem.)

Geography will be liberally sprinkled throughout.

RC

9th--Great Books of the Ancient World

for 1 credit world history and 1 credit literature (used Omnibus)

10th--Great Books of the Medieval World (used Omnibus adapted heavily)

for 1 credit world Hist and 1 lit

11th--Great Books of the 20th Century (used Sonlight 300)

for 1 credit History, tentatively titled American History in the World Context or something like that

12th--Community College class in American Gov't (adding in lit from various periods to fill in holes--short stories, poetry, some Am. lit, some Brit lit)

For elder dd:

9th: Ancient History (Omnibus I and Gileskirk Antiquity)

10th: Medieval/Renaissance (Omnibus II and Gileskirk Christendon)

11th: American History (Omnibus III and Gileskirk Americana) and US government ( American Government, Institutions & Policies: By James Q. Wilson & John J. DiIulio, Jr)

12th: Modern History (Gileskirk Modernity); Economics

younger dd will have a somewhat differebt path since she did Ancients and Medieval/Renaissance in 7th & 8th:

9th: American History (Omnibus III and Gileskirk Americana)

10th: Modern History (Gileskirk Modernity)

11th: Economics; Non-Western Cultures

12th: US government

I have no idea about curriculum for 11th and 12th grades for her.

HTH

Guest msweig

9th - Trail Guide to World Geography

10th - Notgrass Exploring World History

11th - Notgrass Exploring America

12th - Notgrass Exploring Government & Bluestocking Guide to Economics (with accompanying books)

I didn't see much state history in your replies and my state (WA) requires state history (1 semester I think) for a public high school diploma. (unless the state req. have changed in the last few years)

Does anyone have any thoughts about the state requirements for public schools and the college or university requirements (such as in the instance of state history).

I am thinking of "cramming in" state history to make sure our diploma from mour homeschool is acceptable at the state universities or community colleges. (I know I should call them but I haven't yet - or check their websites. We have dial up LOL - all of that is cumbersome.)

Just wondering if and how others have dealt with this!

Lisaj

9th: Renaissance & Reformation--Using SOTW (probably) and *maybe* the R&R portions of Notgrass Exploring World History

10th: American History--Notgrass Exploring America

11th: American History up to 20th century--Finish Notgrass if needed

11th (second half): Government: Notgrass Exploring Government

12th: general World History course, even Notgrass with some other stuff thrown in, and Geography.

We try to loosely follow the WTM order for history but didn't get into it "on time" for my oldest. My dd13 will be following the 4 year cycle in a slightly different way when she gets to high school.

I didn't see much state history in your replies and my state (WA) requires state history (1 semester I think) for a public high school diploma. (unless the state req. have changed in the last few years)

Does anyone have any thoughts about the state requirements for public schools and the college or university requirements (such as in the instance of state history).

I am thinking of "cramming in" state history to make sure our diploma from mour homeschool is acceptable at the state universities or community colleges. (I know I should call them but I haven't yet - or check their websites. We have dial up LOL - all of that is cumbersome.)

Just wondering if and how others have dealt with this!

Lisaj

We are using Switched on Schoolhouse for State History next year.

These are our plans...

9th grade -- World History I: Spielvogel's Western Civilization, including study guide

10th grade -- World History II: Spielvogel's Western Civilization, including study guide

11th grade -- U.S. History w/ Nograss

12th grade -- Government/Economics w/ABeka

Hope it helps,

Judy