Menu

What is it about adolescence that causes a sudden interest in pop music?

I know that's a blanket statement that won't apply to everyone or everyone's kids. I also realize that little people are attracted to music just of a different genre.

I've always been drawn to music. My mother says I could sing well before I could speak properly. But, somewhere longabout 19David Cassidy70, popular music took on a new meaning. It was in that same era that my brother began to shut himself up in his room with Earth Wind & Fire or Chicago blaring. I never needed (wanted?) a stereo system of my own because I could hear my brother's just fine. :D But, my clock radio became my friend, and my old-fashioned record player was an all important appliance.

Now, I'm watching my 13 year old become more and more interested in "new" music, playing tunes on her iPod or the laptop, paying attention to the lyrics and singing, singing, singing. She's owned an iPod for several years now, but it has only just become something of keen interest.

Is it the song lyrics themselves that are alluring, because they speak of love and hopefulness, sometimes of rebellion against all that we adults don't understand, or the brokenness that kids might perceive as "our fault"? Or is there something in the music itself, the rhythms, riffs, and drum solos? Or perhaps it's the -- let's face it -- "attractive" band members, that call to us as adolescents.

What do you think?

I know that's a blanket statement that won't apply to everyone or everyone's kids. I also realize that little people are attracted to music just of a different genre.

What do you think?

It's the sexual content, I think. They're listening desperately for clues. To figure out life, the universe, and everything. And sex. Mostly sex. :D

It's the sexual content, I think. They're listening desperately for clues. To figure out life, the universe, and everything. And sex. Mostly sex. :D

Okay...attractive band members/sex/attractive band members/sex....got it.

I'll tell you though, listening to music now that I listened to then, there was a WHOLE lot that I did not get!

and billions of dollars in marketing.

In the case of my dd, there's limited exposure to most of the marketing since we don't do television at all and virtually no music videos. So, remind me where else a kid like her would see/hear the music she's loving? I'm sure there are subtle media influences everywhere (ie: movies). In her case, it may be a trickle down effect, as she hears stuff that her friends like and wants it for herself.

My dd loves certain sounds, she loves looking up the soundtracks from her favorite movies, and listening to those songs over and over on YouTube (we do HAVE lots of songs, just not THE newEST, KWIM?) until she buys it. :)

For her, it is about the sounds AND the lyrics- but it depends on the song as to whether it is the sound or lyric that most appeal to her. :)

Does that make sense? I think that at a certain age they really start to "hear" more than they did before, it's some sort of awakening. They become aware of certain beats/instruments/etc. and they become aware of the meaning of the lyrics (to some extent).

My dd loves certain sounds, she loves looking up the soundtracks from her favorite movies, and listening to those songs over and over on YouTube (we do HAVE lots of songs, just not THE newEST, KWIM?) until she buys it. :)

For her, it is about the sounds AND the lyrics- but it depends on the song as to whether it is the sound or lyric that most appeal to her. :)

Does that make sense? I think that at a certain age they really start to "hear" more than they did before, it's some sort of awakening. They become aware of certain beats/instruments/etc. and they become aware of the meaning of the lyrics (to some extent).

I guess I have the sense that it's more than just the provocative content (maybe Pam is the one who's fixated? LOL!!). The music itself seems to move them/us in ways it didn't before.

I think that at a certain age they really start to "hear" more than they did before, it's some sort of awakening. They become aware of certain beats/instruments/etc. and they become aware of the meaning of the lyrics (to some extent).

:iagree:

This seems right to me - 5 years ago they barely noticed music unless I played it in the house or they heard it at church and now they seem to know everything!

I think it is also about learning how to figure out what their own tastes are too. My newly turned 10 ds is getting in to music more now. He is developing his own tastes. A lot of it seems to be related to a certain kind of sound/beat and the words flow with those things, kwim? Not what the words are specifically but how they interact with the music and they ways they feel coming off the tongue. That's what I think anyway.

I think that at a certain age they really start to "hear" more than they did before, it's some sort of awakening. They become aware of certain beats/instruments/etc. and they become aware of the meaning of the lyrics (to some extent).

I am seeing this in my almost 14 year old. He is much more interested in all sorts of music (the child is *finally* gaining some appreciation for the Beatles) and he recently let us know that he's been wanting to learn to play the guitar.

It has been so interesting to watch him change and grow in the last couple of years, and we're trying to encourage all that good stuff we're seeing. My husband bought him a guitar that we'll give him for his birthday next week, and we found a really great guy to give him lessons.

This is the one area in my life I'm conservative :lol:

I'm a total music snob. I was raised listing to good music classical, jazz, folk, international, and rock. Top 40 or pop music was rare in my home. This tradition is alive and well in my home today. My dh and I share musical tastes too, so this helps. We listen to almost no popular radio. College stations, public radio, internet, and world (international) station are what you might hear if we are not listing to a cd or audio bk. I was a mean mom, making the girls listen to good music, a good bit adult in nature, but it had to be intelligent. By good I mean - the artists actually write, perform the music (no lip syncing, and have something to say... more than oooow baby. Dd12 has shown interest in a few musical artist I find dull at best. I allow her to listen over the internet but I refuse to pay money to by it. Thankfully, since she has been exposed to such a large variety of music, I find she is not at all thrilled with the popular teen singer of today. :001_smile:

What has been interesting with my 10 yr ds is what he enjoys. He loves quite a few of the classical pieces he plays on the piano and goes around humming them on a daily basis. On his shuffle right now are the Beach Boys, Sheryl Crowe, Daughtry, and ABBA. He also likes some Green Day songs, a couple of Elvis, a couple Elton John, and maybe one or two Michael Jackson songs. He has a funny list. He would also love to get some of the scores to Star Wars and other films with interesting orchestral recordings. A current favorite is Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (he is learning this piece now).

What has been interesting with my 10 yr ds is what he enjoys. He loves quite a few of the classical pieces he plays on the piano and goes around humming them on a daily basis. On his shuffle right now are the Beach Boys, Sheryl Crowe, Daughtry, and ABBA. He also likes some Green Day songs, a couple of Elvis, a couple Elton John, and maybe one or two Michael Jackson songs. He has a funny list. He would also love to get some of the scores to Star Wars and other films with interesting orchestral recordings. A current favorite is Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (he is learning this piece now).

...my 13 year old isn't stuck in popular music at all. I just used that in the subject line because it seems that's what *most* kids like. Having limited exposure as she does to the whole music scene, our teen likes a wide range as well.

Dh & I have a broad array of musical interests, and it has spread to our DCs. They all listen to pop music, rock, classical, jazz, and Christian rock. Some of the oldies that I always found endearing are (gaps!) sexual, and I was unaware until recently.:blush::blush: Really didn't know. There is a strong correlation between tunes and the pre-teen 'cool' factor. Who would be caught listening to toddler tunes, but there isn't much in between toddler and teens--without being wholly teeny-bopper.

Probably rambling, but I understand. Actually google lyrics at the library before kids check out unknown artists CDs. Such an uncool mom!!

I feel your pain :bigear:

Also a newfound identification with some of the themes.... Maybe pop music reflects young adolescents' own internal angst. (Goodness knows a lot of pop stars seem to be in a state of arrested development. Maybe that's why their lyrics appeal to pre-teens and teens?)

yvonne

Dh & I have a broad array of musical interests, and it has spread to our DCs. They all listen to pop music, rock, classical, jazz, and Christian rock. Some of the oldies that I always found endearing are (gaps!) sexual, and I was unaware until recently.:blush::blush: Really didn't know. There is a strong correlation between tunes and the pre-teen 'cool' factor. Who would be caught listening to toddler tunes, but there isn't much in between toddler and teens--without being wholly teeny-bopper.

Probably rambling, but I understand. Actually google lyrics at the library before kids check out unknown artists CDs. Such an uncool mom!!

I feel your pain :bigear:

I'm not *all that* concerned about it for our teen. She's mature enough to handle it and also doesn't gravitate toward obscenity (as far as I know:lol:), but her younger sister is very impressionable. So, I can blame it on not wanting her to take part in more mature themes/lyrics. It's a reasonable excuse for now. I don't think it's uncool. I think it's prudent.

But, I do want to clarify -- this phase (or whatever it is) doesn't pain me in the least. I totally relate to it and am, in fact, mildly amused by it.

In the case of my dd, there's limited exposure to most of the marketing since we don't do television at all and virtually no music videos. So, remind me where else a kid like her would see/hear the music she's loving? I'm sure there are subtle media influences everywhere (ie: movies). In her case, it may be a trickle down effect, as she hears stuff that her friends like and wants it for herself.

I was thinking in the broader world. They make music that will appeal to this age group because they are the emerging music market. They market it to them, make sure that only really cool looking people get to make music, and even if my child doesn't have access to a lot of the marketing, I assume his friends tell him how cool certain music is, he listens, likes it becasue research confirmed he WOULD like it, and voila. Another CD sale:)

My oldest was a preteen before computers were a big way of getting music, and my younger two aren't QUITE at this age yet, so I have a lot to learn, I'm sure.

I see my dd becoming more interested in pop music because she thinks it represents her and her generation. She thinks the music she is drawn to (pop music) separates her from "older people" and identifies her more with her peers. It's not my music, it's hers.

She is also beginning to identify with the themes, which meant little to her before. We don't listen to the radio or watch much t.v., but I think that American Idol (our family's guilty pleasure) and her friends have influenced her music interests greatly.

I think it is also about learning how to figure out what their own tastes are too. My newly turned 10 ds is getting in to music more now. He is developing his own tastes. A lot of it seems to be related to a certain kind of sound/beat and the words flow with those things, kwim? Not what the words are specifically but how they interact with the music and they ways they feel coming off the tongue. That's what I think anyway.

Yep, I agree! :iagree: I think it has to do with developing self expression. Finding their own tastes, as you said. And yes! Many times it really is the quality of the music that speaks to the person much more than the lyrics. There are some songs I love that have the most inane lyrics! LOL.

I agree with everyone who said that part of it is sexual awareness as well. In addition to the lyrics and the band members- some music by itself is very sensual.

My 11 yo likes a wide variety of music, from Red Hot Chili Peppers and Breaking Benjamin to classical. Of all the songs on her ipod, the one she is most in love with right now is Pachelbel's Cannon in D!

I agree with everyone who said that part of it is sexual awareness as well. In addition to the lyrics and the band members- some music by itself is very sensual.

My 11 yo likes a wide variety of music, from Red Hot Chili Peppers and Breaking Benjamin to classical. Of all the songs on her ipod, the one she is most in love with right now is Pachelbel's Cannon in D!

Yep,that Pachebell is one HOT dude!! ;)

She just listens to Japanese bands. I have absolutely no idea what they are singing about. Interesting bands though. I thought they were all girls. Nope, boys, all boys. Very girly looking boys. She is dragging one of her younger sisters into it with her. The other dd is doing the normal pop music thing. Funniest thing is that the other two dd can't stand it!

I see my dd becoming more interested in pop music because she thinks it represents her and her generation. She thinks the music she is drawn to (pop music) separates her from "older people" and identifies her more with her peers. It's not my music, it's hers.

She is also beginning to identify with the themes, which meant little to her before. We don't listen to the radio or watch much t.v., but I think that American Idol (our family's guilty pleasure) and her friends have influenced her music interests greatly.

Why don't you all f-fade away (talkin' 'bout my generation)

And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (talkin' 'bout my generation)

Yeah, The Who pretty much nailed it! :D

Finding music through peers is definitely happening for our teen. One friend has no restrictions on the music she listens to, so we've had some *interesting* stuff come in the door thanks to my dd's close relationship with her. I've nixed some of it, again, with younger sister as a good excuse. Dd herself has nixed some because it simply doesn't appeal to her. I am aware, however, than many of the themes *I* might hear or read in the lyrics are themes our dd(s) might not yet hear. I know my friends and I didn't understand all the implications of some of the words we sang so loudly to whatever tunes we belted out in high school. But, the lyrics above? I think we got those pretty well!

I guess I see this whole transition so clearly because I've got one who has just moved into the phase and one who is not yet there. It seems like only yesterday that the older one wasn't there either, but here she is. It's fascinating! What's hysterical is that I'm old enough that my kids and their friends have decided that a lot of the music I grew up loving is now retro enough to be cool again. :D We have a 15 year old friend here right now whose private school is off today, so she spent last night. She started singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", a recent remake by a group called The Tokens. Little do they know (little did *I*, until recently) that that song dates to the late 1930's and started out as an African tune! Nothing's new under the sun. :001_rolleyes:

Great thread!!!

My oldest urns 14 next month and she is very emo--totally centered around music, yet completely conservative, socially and politically, if that makes sense. Yesterday we went to the mall and she bought Queen's Greatest Hits as a late Mother's Day present for me (and for her Zune, I'm sure), as well as Boys Like Girls. I also listen to Skillet, Fall Out Boys, and Panic at the Disco with her. Maybe I'm still a kid at heart, but I like the music. She googles the lyrics first to make sure they aren't objectionable. We don't emphasize dating here, but I think maybe she does dig the romance and gasp, sexual parts. She does think the guys are attractive.

My youngest (12) has recently gotten into the Jonas Bros and Miley Cyrus...probably just to drive her sister nuts! :) Our family listens to a variety of music and the girls have classical, opera, pop, and rock on their Zunes. We're just as likely to listen to smooth jazz as Aerosmith as well contemporary Christian.

Well, I guess I just rambled on and didn't really contribute to this thread!!! LOL! Hmmm...what is it that makes us wake up to music (lyrics and the beat) in adolescence?

I see this happening too with my dd especially, although both kids have taken to pop music strongly. So I kind of diffuse that issue by allowing them to play pop music when we drive around, and I am learning a lot, and they teach me the lyrics and we sing at the top of our voices. I actually missed out on that part of my development- I had very little interest in pop music as a teen- so maybe i am making up for it now, just enjoying it...enjoying the catchy tunes, the silly words. We talk about how many of the singers sing songs of victimness and unhappiness rather than uplifting, but they just think thats mum being all mum-like and giving them a bit of a lecture- they don't really care. They do acknowledge it though. I am not sure that the sexuality is such a big issue with my kids. They don't watch commercial tv, they don't watch rock videos often- occasionally on You Tube. Its more the actual music than the visual element.

I must admit I have been quite surprised at when and how they actually get to hear the lyrics of these songs. It's taken me a while to realise how much time they do actually listen to the radio and online music...they often have earphones in while doing their email. They are fairly inconspicuous, so I don't mind too much. I really don't like the music on at home though...I really like silence.

It is interesting though, how this suddenly comes up. It has taken me by surprise, and in my kids' case, i think it is something they talk about with their peers.

My daughter (13), who has never been into pop music has developed more of an interest this year after being away at school. She says it's impossible to ignore or avoid it, because so much gets played so loudly in the dorm. She came home for the summer last week knowing the lyrics to all kinds of songs from groups she'd never even heard of before.

Fortunately, she still likes only what she likes, and she has pretty good taste. It amuses me that she finally "discovered" Barenaked Ladies and They Might Be Giants this year, despite the fact that we have several of their CDs in our collection at home.

She's also suddenly looking up the Beatles.

She still prefers Broadway soundtracks, but she does seem to derive some kind of comfort from being "in the know" regarding what her peers are listening to, as well.

What else is there to do at that age?

Read a book? Take up a new hobby? Write poetry? Read a book? Learn to play an instrument? Take your dog for a walk? Read a book? Memorize the lyrics to your favorite Broadway soundtrack? Play with the cat? Read a book?

Give me a few minutes, and I'm sure I could come up with more suggestions!

Yep, same with my 10-year-old son. This morning in the shower, he segued from belting out an aria from Turandot to something from Rent to a Christmas song his choir sang this past year to the piece he's supposed to sing at church in a couple of weeks. He got all excited when he recognized the selection from Peer Gynt he heard on the radio an hour or so ago and thinks it's the height of musical humor to figure out how to transition from one musical selection to another, very different piece. ("Hall of the Mountain King" directly to "Lord Vader's Theme" is a common one.)

For background noise while he's building with K'Nex or Legos, he frequently turns on showtunes, big band or classical. For going to sleep, he prefers Celtic.

I'm not there yet, (9 & 11) but I find that they are already finding their way towards music. Right now, however, it is Musical Theater that they are interested in and I LOVE that they love it!!! But, I'm sure it will be more pop in the future. I'm OK with that.....with some caution. :glare:

I have studied music and it's effects. My brain is pretty fuzzy on the science but from what I remember, there are endorphins produced by certain very strong musical styles. Well, chemicals are produced by any, in truth, but the heavy drums and beat produce ones related to the flight or fight response. Similar to stress hormones, they can have a detrimental effect on the brain. For many kids, it becomes more of a stimulation or self-medication.

I worry because these are brains still developing. Excessive rock music is probably not healthy and some studies have shown this.

I just let my daughter use her birthday money on an iPod. I admit I'm wishing I hadn't. I don't mind her listening to favorite music but there is something about the non-stop plugged in part that makes me nervous. I can see it becoming a thing of strife between us. She's into Celtic music and bluegrass but I still don't want her plugged in all the time on driving music. Making music, sure. Pounding in the ears? Not so much.

I probably should have diverted her to something else. We have a family iPod given to us. Perhaps I should have just let that one be the only one in the house. Too late now.