Menu

charley horse under my ribs

That's what it feels like sometimes when I reach down from a seated position to get something from the floor, turn on or plug something into my work computer, or do certain movements while exercising. Does anyone know what might cause this? It kind of feels like one of my ribs is poking me, but that doesn't really make sense so I'm guessing it's some kind of muscle spasm. If I sit up straight and press my hand just under my ribs on the right (that's always what side it happens on), whatever is causing this rights itself and the pain stops. Does this sound familiar at all?

I don't know but I get this too! I esp. notice it when I am in the driver's seat and lean over to get something from the floor on the passenger's side. It hurts so badly I can barely breathe -- just for a moment, and then it passes. I would really like to know what it is! The pain is so intense. I had my gallbladder checked but that wasn't it. It has happened since the birth of my 4th chid, 4.5 years ago.

A chiropractor I had once suggested it is my psoas muscle. No idea if that's right...

I had a feeling of something under my ribs (on the right side) when I had gallstones. I don't know if that's the cause of your problem, but what you describe reminds me of what I felt before my gallbladder was removed.

Mine was removed about 10 years ago. It's not the same type of pain as the gall bladder attacks, but it is in the same area.

I get these too but only when I move a certain way and usually on the right side. It's a bit knot when it happens but afterwards can't feel any lumps or anything. Have no clue what it is but I am doc-adverse so figured I'd just live with it! Would be interesting to know what it might be though...

Have you ever asked a doctor? Now I am freshly wanting to know the deal!!! Does it ever ache a little after the "stab" part? Mine does. The stab part is almost enough to make me scream.

Me too! one time it happened when I made a sudden shift in bed. It kept stabbing for awhile. I was afraid to breath or move! Then it's over and it might not come for years. It's always with a sudden move. My dh has it happen too! We have both wondered for years what causes it. :confused:

"Catch" seems like it's on the left and all of us have this on the right. Mine feels much deeper than rib pain.

Well, precordial is on the left, but I get "catch" on either side, now that I have a belly. :001_smile: Think of an accordion not folding up right if you slammed it shut.

I get this periodically on my right side when I stretch or reach for something. I always thought it felt like the stretching opened up space between my bottom ribs and when I went back to a normal position, something got pinched between them. Stretching slightly and rubbing the area usually helps but it will feel achy after the sharp stabbing pain goes away.

I always forget to ask the doctor since it happens fairly rarely.

Sounds like what has happened to my husband, on occasion, when he is reaching to put on his seat belt. He describes it as feeling like a charley horse under his ribs, too.

Thankfully, I've never experienced it! I can't take a charley horse in my calves and this seems worse. :tongue_smilie:

I always just assumed it was an actual charley horse. Why wouldn't it be? If there's a muscle, there can be a cramp right? It never would have occurred to me to ask my doctor about it.

We're not 20 anymore. ;)

Sounds like what has happened to my husband, on occasion, when he is reaching to put on his seat belt. He describes it as feeling like a charley horse under his ribs, too.

Thankfully, I've never experienced it! I can't take a charley horse in my calves and this seems worse. :tongue_smilie:

Oh yeah. It hurts!

Lately it seems like I get charley horses everywhere. I've even had them in my neck when I yawn. Ouch!

I have something similar, I think, only it feels like my muscles are bunched up in the wrong place in one tight spot under my ribs. UGH!

I've had it since our 5th baby and it got noticeably worse after my 6th by c-section. I'm convinced it's something related to pregnancy. LOL (I really just want to hold this over my kids' heads for the rest of their lives, along with many other things.)

That's what it feels like sometimes when I reach down from a seated position to get something from the floor, turn on or plug something into my work computer, or do certain movements while exercising. Does anyone know what might cause this? It kind of feels like one of my ribs is poking me, but that doesn't really make sense so I'm guessing it's some kind of muscle spasm. If I sit up straight and press my hand just under my ribs on the right (that's always what side it happens on), whatever is causing this rights itself and the pain stops. Does this sound familiar at all?

If you have a Chiropractor I would make an appointment and talk to him/her. I would guess from my own experience that you have a rib or two out. Mine fixed me right up.:001_smile:

• 9 years later...