Menu

Atkins while nursing? Talk to me folks!

Ok, so lets get this out there. I went to JC Penny's today to look for a dress to wear to my neice's baptism this weekend. I'm going to be her godmother as well. This is really special. Well...they didn't have any dresses big enough :eek:

To be toally honest, because I've been hiding this from myself, I am now almost 190lbs, at 5'1. This is not good. This is the heaviest I've been other than pregnant. My daughter is now 16 months old and I'm getting bigger not smaller. I need to do something to get this weight off. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding in October and I'd like to feel a little better about myself by then. Plus we would like another child and there is NO WAY I will allow myself to get pregnant while this heavy. I'd end up bedridden.

So, I know low carb works. But, I'm still nursing my daughter many times a day, and usually at least once a night. Is this ok? I'm thinking maybe I need to skip induction because of that, and add in things like berries and such right away?

Anyone been there done that?

No, don't do it. Buy a bigger dress size, eat healthy and be patient. It just isn't worth risking your baby's health and brain development.

ETA - I was on a very low carb diet for PCOS per my doctor's orders and my nutritionist pulled me off of it until baby was weaned. She told me very bluntly that any diet is healthier for baby than Atkins.

Edited by LibertyH

No, don't do it. Buy a bigger dress size, eat healthy and be patient. It just isn't worth risking your baby's health and brain development.

ETA - I was on a very low carb diet for PCOS per my doctor's orders and my nutritionist pulled me off of it until baby was weaned. She told me very bluntly that any diet is healthier for baby than Atkins.

Hmm. Why is that? I'm really not very familiar with Atkins. I have followed the Primal Blueprint for a short time,which is also lower carb. But Primal includes all fruits, all veggies, and limited sweet potatoes. Basically it just eliminates grains. I don't see how that could be harmful.

As to just being patient...if I keep being patient I'll be unable to move. I'm getting bigger, not smaller. I think being home all day makes it way too easy to eat, plus my sleep cycle is so messed up with her getting her molars in that I am hungry because of sleep deprivation or stress or I don't know. My son is also a huge handful, making the stress eating even worse.

i'm scared and frustrated.

I was told not only is low carb a bad idea while nursing, that it's not safe to lose more than 1 to 1.5lb per week.:sad:

I've NEVER in my life lost more than 2lbs per week. And that was only once or twice. Even at my best, eating well and working out, I am a 1/2 pound a week kind of girl. So I'd be thrilled with a pound or so a week.

why not cut out white food?

I don't know anything about Atkins, but try keeping everything in your diet but white flour, white sugar, potatoes and rice.

I've had great success with this. If you feel your milk supply going down, then you may want to see an nutritionist.

I wouldn't feel comfortable being in ketosis while nursing....my suspicion is that it's probably fine, but there hasn't been enough research on it, and better safe than sorry and all that. Yeah, I think primal would probably be better....add in some starches like sweet potatoes, maybe occasional white potatoes or wild rice (do you have blood sugar issues at all?)...stay off of bread and sugar, keep carbs at around 100-150/day maybe....I think that's probably what I'll try to do if I ever have another baby.

(and I'm right there with you with not needing to be even a tiny bit concerned that I'll lose weight too fast no matter how I eat. Ahh--would that I had THAT problem)

I've never lost less than 2 while trying. LOL.

But that means in theory if I tell you what's worked in the past for me, it should work okay for you now.

When trying, I eat more fruits and veggies. Every meal starts with a salad (fruit salad for breakfast) then I dish up half what I think I want of the actual meal. About half the time that's enough, but when it isn't I have a half of that for seconds. If I'm still hungry I have more salad.

For exercise I have dozens of workout videos. But pilates/calisthenics, kick boxing (or Tae Bo) and my Slim in 6 videos are my favourites. 20-30 minutes 6 times per week. All the women's magazines have workouts online too.

I did that for a week and got a lecture because I lost too much weight. :glare:

Thanks guys. Eliminating whites is a start, but honestly, I love love love whole wheat bread. I'm not sure I can even handle that in moderation. hmm...I suppose I could eliminate sugar, white potatoes, and rice (i don't really eat rice anyway, it grosses me out, lol). And only eat my own homemade bread, with fresh ground wheat? Will that really work???

I've never lost less than 2 while trying. LOL.

But that means in theory if I tell you what's worked in the past for me, it should work okay for you now.

When trying, I eat more fruits and veggies. Every meal starts with a salad (fruit salad for breakfast) then I dish up half what I think I want of the actual meal. About half the time that's enough, but when it isn't I have a half of that for seconds. If I'm still hungry I have more salad.

For exercise I have dozens of workout videos. But pilates/calisthenics, kick boxing (or Tae Bo) and my Slim in 6 videos are my favourites. 20-30 minutes 6 times per week. All the women's magazines have workouts online too.

I did that for a week and got a lecture because I lost too much weight. :glare:

LOL, I don't think I like you now :tongue_smilie:

My dh is like that. He can cut out a few desserts and lose 4 lbs in a weekend. I can GAIN 4lbs in a weekend, but not lose it.

Thanks guys. Eliminating whites is a start, but honestly, I love love love whole wheat bread. I'm not sure I can even handle that in moderation. hmm...I suppose I could eliminate sugar, white potatoes, and rice (i don't really eat rice anyway, it grosses me out, lol). And only eat my own homemade bread, with fresh ground wheat? Will that really work???

whole wheat is good, but I would ration it to maybe 2 or 3 servings a day.

depends on how much of it you eat :D

Ok, so bread a few slices a day, and I'll eliminate it if it becomes an issue. I don't have any right now anyway. If I limit myself to what I actually make that sure helps, lol.

Ok...please pray this helps. I have GOT to lose weight. I feel awful like this. My rolls are getting their own rolls!

At 16 months old, your daughter is getting most of her nutrition from sources other than your milk, right? I really don't see why going low-carb would be a problem at all, but I'm one of those people who believe that low-carb is the norm and the modern grain-based approach is the unhealthy fad diet!

That said, I would still not recommend something as restrictive as the induction phase of Atkins. Look at The Primal Blueprint or Life Without Bread instead.

LOL, I don't think I like you now :tongue_smilie:

My dh is like that. He can cut out a few desserts and lose 4 lbs in a weekend. I can GAIN 4lbs in a weekend, but not lose it.

Aww :tongue_smilie: Don't worry, you'll lose weight slowly and get to your goal before me because I'll still be :confused: about how to lose 1lb per week. I tried exercising half as often and lost none.

My DH drives me nuts with that too. He'll lose 15 pounds and he'll have only stopped adding sugar to his tea or something equally ridiculous.

I would also encourage you to stick to a 2-3 servings of grains per day. So if you indulge on your homemade bread, then don't have any oatmeal or other whole wheats. Also when you do eat your whole grains, eat them with some fat and protein to help minimize the blood sugar rush.

I think refined grains do something w/our metabolism. Avoiding them can really ramp it up.

I'm (sort of) on atkins, and still breastfeeding my 10 month old a few times a day (not overnight though). I didn't do the induction strictly, as I was worried about milk production. I've been on it for about 6 weeks now (OWL phase mostly - but I'm not too strict) and have found no problem with breastfeeding.

I would ration the bread, and try to eat it more in the morning rather than evening. Goodluck!

I've been thinking more about your question, and the more I think about it, the more firmly convicted I become that it is perfectly save for you to reduce your carbohydrate intake while breastfeeding - and might be healthier for your child too.

I limit myself to 70 grams of carbs per day. It not only keeps me at a healthy weight, it keeps me healthy. I start to break down when my carb intake goes too high. My immune system gets so weak that I am sick constantly, and not just with a cold, but with a simple cold followed by a sinus infection followed by pneumonia, that sort of thing. I have IBS but it's not a problem when I don't eat more than 70g of carbs per day. When I restrict my carbs, I sleep better, I have more steady energy, I don't get wild uncontrollable food cravings, my moods are better, my skin looks healthier. When I eat too many carbs, I am on a roller coaster of highs and lows, and the lows are unbearable. My muscles shake, I can't think clearly, I sweat whether it's cold or hot, and I cease to be able to function (I'm talking, I can't be trusted to drive a car) until I get some food, any food. So for me, low-carb isn't a weight loss diet, it is a necessity for my quality of life.

That fact wouldn't change if I got pregnant. I would continue to eat the way I do, and I wouldn't be the least bit worried about it being unhealthy for my baby during pregnancy or breastfeeding. If I'm healthy, that greatly improves the chances of my baby being healthy!

So I say go for it. Do what you need to do to get the life you want. :grouphug: And good luck!

I try to stay grain/sugar free all the time, nursing, pregant or what have you. I think it is a healthy way to live, period. I did primal before and after my last pregnancy(and still yet). I was down to 50g carbs(total-not subt. fiber) at times without issue. I have yet to see good evidence that it is dangerous. I think low fat diets are far more dangerous for babies developing brain, actually. Baby is happy, healthy, tons of milk and she still nurses like crazy here at 18 mo(although she eats solids as well- baby led weaning style).

Ok, so lets get this out there. I went to JC Penny's today to look for a dress to wear to my neice's baptism this weekend. I'm going to be her godmother as well. This is really special. Well...they didn't have any dresses big enough :eek:

To be toally honest, because I've been hiding this from myself, I am now almost 190lbs, at 5'1. This is not good. This is the heaviest I've been other than pregnant. My daughter is now 16 months old and I'm getting bigger not smaller. I need to do something to get this weight off. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding in October and I'd like to feel a little better about myself by then. Plus we would like another child and there is NO WAY I will allow myself to get pregnant while this heavy. I'd end up bedridden.

So, I know low carb works. But, I'm still nursing my daughter many times a day, and usually at least once a night. Is this ok? I'm thinking maybe I need to skip induction because of that, and add in things like berries and such right away?

Anyone been there done that?

I did a modified Atkins all through pregnancy and nursing. By modified I mean I ate lots of veggies and some fruit such as berries, melon and apples.

I minimized any carb foods....and only had them at dinner...and only whole grain such as brown rice or whole wheat pasta...and only 1/2 cup.

I was 210 lbs to start....I lost 75 lbs over 2 years...and have kept it off for 13 years...even through pregnancies....so it can be done...but it is hard.

Good luck.....and have fun at the wedding no matter what size your dress is. You are not a dress size .....you are a child of the most high God.

Faithe

I don't see any problem with the Induction phase. Why would you think there would be a problem with that? :confused:

There is some [evidence? speculation?] that ketones might pass through breast milk and be bad for babies. Atkins himself, I believe, recommended that women who are nursing or pregnant should eat enough carbs to stay out of ketosis. It seems to me that a lot of populations thoughout history have spent a good deal of their lives in ketosis, including during pregnancy and nursing, so it's hard to believe it could really be terrible....but I think (I don't know, because I haven't had to deal with it; I'd do a lot more research before making a decision were I to get pregnant) that I'd feel more comfortable keeping carbs just high enough (100ish a day) to stay out of ketosis if I were nursing and trying to lose weight.

*shrug* Nothing I've read in my copious amount of research backs this up. I'm inclined to believe it is a combination of anti-low carb orientation and under-informed breastfeeding.

I'm "doing Atkins". (Well, right now, I am doing a primal Whole 30 but that is another thread). I eat a lot of meat, eggs, unlimited non starchy veggies, and occassional berries. I'd stand my diet up against more than 90% of Americans.

If you, OP, know that low carb is best for you, go for it.

To be toally honest, because I've been hiding this from myself, I am now almost 190lbs, at 5'1. This is not good. This is the heaviest I've been other than pregnant.

I currently weigh more now than I did even when pregnant. :glare:

I did do Atkins while nursing my first. I did the maintenance phase, aiming for the lower end of the carb range recommended for maintenance. I started each day by sticking fairly close to the foods allowed for Induction, but then ate more toward the end of the day if I had not had enough carbs yet for maintenance. I kept a notebook out on the counter and kept track each day. I lost 25 lbs. in 5 months while nursing (dd was 7 mos. old at the end of those 5 months).

Ok, so bread a few slices a day, and I'll eliminate it if it becomes an issue. I don't have any right now anyway. If I limit myself to what I actually make that sure helps, lol.

Ok...please pray this helps. I have GOT to lose weight. I feel awful like this. My rolls are getting their own rolls!

I have to cut out all bread, even my whole wheat. :( :( :( Just a little bit kicks off the cravings. I do SO well on veggies, lean protein, fruits, and some dairy. This is what best suits by chemistry.

I think your baby (and milk) will be fine on an Atkins diet. In fact, I am thinking about getting pregnant again (seriously), and this is the type of diet I would follow. Your milk won't change for the worse... unless you are also "detoxing" from sugar... or losing weight too rapidly. Both the sugar detox and a too rapid weight loss can (did for baby #5, here) release things into your milk that will induce fussiness/gas issues related to BF'ing in your infant. (All issues disappeared when I went back on my "normal" diet).

I have lost nearly 40 pounds since March (granted, I've done the hCG diet, which I would NOT rec'd while pregnant or nursing), but all the research and reading I'm doing has me thinking that Atkins Maintenance is the closest to my "ideal" routine.

I am also currently researching Fresh Milled Bread, and for the first time I am carefully considering milling our own flour. I think there may be a world of truth that it's not flour (white, or whatever) that is so bad, it's what we've done TO the flour (or, to be more specific, taken OUT of the flour) that's caused many of our problems.

Just my 2 cents :D