Menu

ARGH! Kids are begging for a PC instead of the Mac I saved up for!

I am still not clear on this.

I planned to buy a Mac Desktop this summer. I have saved all year to be able to pay in cash.

Now the kids are saying they want a PC because there are some games they can't play on the Mac.

When I ask them WHAT games they don't have more than a handful and we still have a PC that works, they just want to play TOGETHER online.

So, a few questions:

1. If I do bootcamp and Windows can they play these PC games on the Mac?

2. Would you even take into consideration what your kids want when it comes to a large purchase like this? Part of me says "JUST DEAL, This is the grown up's decision!"

I have looked at the Dell website and honestly, I just keep thinking how un-excited I am to get a new computer if we have to get a PC.

Thanks,

Dawn

Considering that they will still have access to a working pc, I'd go with the 'just deal', tbh. I'd also suggest that they save their money and buy a pc. The ability to play games is never a selling point when buying a puter to me though.

Well, it was never to me either, but even when we got this PC it was a factor for DH. :tongue_smilie:

My kids actually play some online games with other homeschoolers, shocking I know.

Dawn

Considering that they will still have access to a working pc, I'd go with the 'just deal', tbh. I'd also suggest that they save their money and buy a pc. The ability to play games is never a selling point when buying a puter to me though.

From my experience, the games are so short termed in that the ones they want to play together are often boring to them in a short time. I would not base my computer buying on that at all. While I have both, my Mac is a beast and I love it like a child. OK, maybe not that much but pretty darn close. It takes things to a whole new level, but yes there are some things that don't run on a Mac. If I had the money, I would have a Macbook for my laptop in addition to my iMac. Just love Macs.

If they want gaming, I would consider a game system like PS3 where they can play each other on the TV. For a couple of hundred bucks, they can be up and running and you can have the Mac to yourself. Yes!!

Well, they have some computer based games they play online with their friends.

But if Bootcamp and windows would work with those games, it should be good.

In fact, I need to ask them WHICH games they play with their friends are PC only (or look it up) because I think most of what they play online could work on the Mac. I know Runescpe, which they are currently into, does work on a Mac.

This is actually for the family computer. I have a MacBook Pro for myself! :D

Dawn

From my experience, the games are so short termed in that the ones they want to play together are often boring to them in a short time. I would not base my computer buying on that at all. While I have both, my Mac is a beast and I love it like a child. OK, maybe not that much but pretty darn close. It takes things to a whole new level, but yes there are some things that don't run on a Mac. If I had the money, I would have a Macbook for my laptop in addition to my iMac. Just love Macs.

If they want gaming, I would consider a game system like PS3 where they can play each other on the TV. For a couple of hundred bucks, they can be up and running and you can have the Mac to yourself. Yes!!

Actually, they do. I have a MacBook Pro they use too some.

Dawn

I would buy the Mac, absolutely. They jsut dont know what they are missing out on :) (and maybe wouldnt appreciate it yet either, but you will!).

Frankly I think Macs are ridiculously overpriced. Heck, maybe you can buy two PCs for the same price.

That probably doesn't help you. :D

Lol, do you have one? :)

I don't agree and they are even more expensive here. I mean, cheaper would be nicer, but they are not outrageous.

You are paying for something that is soooo beautiful to use, clean and efficient, and....well, love my 27"Imac and i had to scrape and save and sell stuff to get it. I would love a MacbookPro too. Its not a decision I have regretted- definitely worth more than 2 PCs.

Sorry, just had to say :)

Their arguments would have no effect on me. For our home/lifestyle, the following apply:

1. The primary purpose of the computer is not gaming.

2. The adults make the decision.

3. Daddy is our network administrator and I KNOW he prefers macs.

4. Macs are better than PCs.

5. Give me a reason based on why the PC is a better tool rather than better for your entertainment. If you have to use particular software for school/job that only runs on a PC, it would be considered. If you want to play games with friends, try a board game! (Sorry, we do not do gaming in this house and I just have very little sympathy/empathy for that line of reasoning).

6. Raise money and buy your own if its for your own amusement.

Well, it is a family computer, not just theirs.

DH doesn't seem to care either way.....sometimes I would prefer him just stepping in and taking a stand on these things.....

Dawn

Love my PC. I have no plans to change to a Mac in this lfetime. :D

I say if your kids want a PC, get them a PC.

This sorta happened at my house. I have a nice corner with my desk and my old Mac laptop. It was my space. But the kids wanted to play games together, so my desk is now home to a refurbed (from dh's office) PC (new video card, etc.).

My boys love to play the games together. Now all 3 can play at the same time. It is something they enjoy doing and since they won't all be around together much longer, I'm the one doing the "dealing". I'll get the space back eventually; they won't have the opportunity much longer. I cherish the times I see them enjoying one another.

I don't really have an opinion (mostly because I have new Mac envy), but the playing together is a valid argument, IMO, for the PC.

I would not buy a computer based on games.

My official position on Mac: Worth. Every. Penny. We have never owned a PC and I dont't feel we have ever missed out on anything. We have never had a problem with our Mac products or a virus.

Frankly I think Macs are ridiculously overpriced. Heck, maybe you can buy two PCs for the same price.

:iagree: I used to want a new Mac and never wanted to switch to a PC. I had new Mac envy. Then I used a PC and have never looked back. There was a time when a Mac was better than a PC but I don't think that's true today.

Well, I really didn't intend for this to be a PC vs. Mac debate! :lol:

Called DH about something else and mentioned this to him again. He actually had an opinion this time! :D His opinion was that we really don't need a computer right now anyway, so wait another year! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: THAT IS NOT what I wanted to hear.

Dawn

Personally I'm in the Mac camp...finally switched back from years of hating my PCs.

If you use bootcamp with a Mac you would need a copy of Windows to install and you would need to get some Windows based anti-virus/firewall software. As it was explained to me it is like cutting your computer into two pieces and one is a Mac and one is a PC. I've never done this but this is what I was told.

Keep in mind that the Mac's hardware will need to meet their games' specifications, you will need to allot the appropriate amount of HD space for the games (that HD space will be given over to Windows completely is my understanding) and have the necessary version of Windows.

I also have to agree with those who said that the primary purpose of a computer in our home isn't games. Games aren't even a priority in our home. Our computer purchasing decisions aren't based on kids needing games. Listening to my kids reasons for something like a computer purchase doesn't equate to giving up the decision making power of the adults.

I don't agree and they are even more expensive here. I mean, cheaper would be nicer, but they are not outrageous.

You are paying for something that is soooo beautiful to use, clean and efficient, and....well, love my 27"Imac and i had to scrape and save and sell stuff to get it. I would love a MacbookPro too. Its not a decision I have regretted- definitely worth more than 2 PCs.

:iagree: ITA with Peela :D

Well, I really didn't intend for this to be a PC vs. Mac debate! :lol:

Called DH about something else and mentioned this to him again. He actually had an opinion this time! :D His opinion was that we really don't need a computer right now anyway, so wait another year! THAT IS NOT what I wanted to hear.

Dawn

I vote get a Mac. :D I've had problems with mine for sure, but still nothing compared to any PC has given me.

Since you said you were going to make the purchase this summer, might I suggest you wait until the fall when Apple typically runs their Education Discount- you'll get your iMac and they throw in a iPod touch for free and you also get 10% off your purchase. The run this in September usually. Maybe the kids will be appeased with having their own iPod Touch? :D

That is why I have put off purchasing! I am waiting for the deal to come out.

Typically they have started the deal in late MAY! This is the first year in a while it hasn't started yet.

They end over Labor Day typically. Last year it went from May 27- Sept 7.

Dawn

Since you said you were going to make the purchase this summer, might I suggest you wait until the fall when Apple typically runs their Education Discount- you'll get your iMac and they throw in a iPod touch for free and you also get 10% off your purchase. The run this in September usually. Maybe the kids will be appeased with having their own iPod Touch? :D

Typically they have started the deal in late MAY! This is the first year in a while it hasn't started yet.

Dawn

Waiting for the developers conference to end or for Lion to be ready to ship on all models?

I have seen rumors that they will be giving discounts against the iPad this year as well (not enough for a free iPad but I think the figure quoted in the rumor was around $200.00).

Dawn

:lol::lol: Ha ha! You're probably right. I just never notice it until September. :001_huh::lol::lol:

Will it only be $200 towards an ipad or will it be towards an ipod touch OR and ipad?

I actually would love it to be $200 towards any other Apple product as I really want to get a wireless keyboard for my ipad and a touchpad mouse for a new desktop.

But, I know my idea won't be the deal.....but will it be an ipod too?

Dawn

Waiting for the developers conference to end or for Lion to be ready to ship on all models?

I have seen rumors that they will be giving discounts against the iPad this year as well (not enough for a free iPad but I think the figure quoted in the rumor was around $200.00).

That probably doesn't help you. :D

Same here. We actually have a Mac, as well as two pcs.

I can't stand the Mac. It's a PITA, to be honest. I do see some benefits, regarding viruses and customer service. But, not worth the money for me. I hate using it.

Also, my SO has had a lot of problems with his school and work programs not being compatible with Macs. He actually had to go buy a PC laptop to be able to work from home and finish up college classes at home.

Edited by YLVD

We have one and I agree that it's way overpriced. I rarely use it as I don't like it at all.

Will it only be $200 towards an ipad or will it be towards an ipod touch OR and ipad?

I actually would love it to be $200 towards any other Apple product as I really want to get a wireless keyboard for my ipad and a touchpad mouse for a new desktop.

But, I know my idea won't be the deal.....but will it be an ipod too?

Dawn

I'm just quoting rumors I saw on another website. They seemed to expect the same sort of deal that Apple has had in the past with credit towards or free ipod or ipod touch with the addition that there could be a credit towards an iPad this time around. I wouldn't expect any money towards other Apple devices-keyboards, Apple TV, etc. but (in case any one in Cupertino is listening) that would be a nice touch.

(If you read the fine print on the deal you will see that you don't actually get a "free" iPod with your purchase-you get a credit based on your purchase towards the purchase of an iPod at the same time you purchase your new iMac/Macbook. That credit is enough for some of the iPod models to be free.)

ETA: Looks like Apple just said that if you buy a computer between now and when they release Lion you get the Lion upgrade for free. There are requests to make and time limits etc. so read the fine print if you intend to use this offer.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

We own both MACs and PCs in this household, and both in desktop and portable format. I worked (as a user and a programmer) with both platforms, and also with *NIX platforms.

My choice will always be PC. Never MAC. I can crash a MAC within minutes of using it. At my last job, I was forbidden to sit in front of a MAC after I crashed the whole office network from the MAC. It took the sys admins an hour to get everyone back on track. My co workers couldn't believe it. They could not have done it had they tried. But me? minutes it takes me!

Give me Windows and a PC anytime, and I'll keep the $ difference in my pocket, thank you kindly.

And which PC do you prefer? Or do you have a preference.

We used to buy Gateways back in the day when personal computers were becoming more popular, but our last 2 major PC purchases have been Dells. DH has an HP for work but he has had 3 of them in 6 years because they keep having issues. These are given by his company, not purchased by us.

Dawn

We own both MACs and PCs in this household, and both in desktop and portable format. I worked (as a user and a programmer) with both platforms, and also with *NIX platforms.

My choice will always be PC. Never MAC. I can crash a MAC within minutes of using it. At my last job, I was forbidden to sit in front of a MAC after I crashed the whole office network from the MAC. It took the sys admins an hour to get everyone back on track. My co workers couldn't believe it. They could not have done it had they tried. But me? minutes it takes me!

Give me Windows and a PC anytime, and I'll keep the $ difference in my pocket, thank you kindly.

And which PC do you prefer? Or do you have a preference.

I know you're not asking me but we're a dedicated PC family.

Our oldest computer is a Dell desktop that's close to 12 years old now. We've had to replace the optical drives a couple of times and don't play it as often now but that computer is a sentimental favourite because it simply can't be killed.

My daughter's laptop is a handed-down old IBM (age unknown - 6-7 years?). Works perfectly.

My son's is another hand-me-down from a friend, an Acer Eee PC (4-5 years?). Barely gets turned on though. It's underpowered and runs Linux. I like Linux but it won't play all our kids games because of that. Might hook up the Dell for him, AKA Old Faithful.

My husband's laptop is a Toshiba. No issues with it except the poor guy bought it with Vista installed. Ugh. This is the newest computer and it's about 3 years old now.

Mine is a Compaq desktop (5 years old I think?) and the DVD drive has failed twice, once under warranty. I simply plugged in an external drive and am happy.

I actually have an old pentium that I set up for playing DOS games as well but the poor thing hasn't been hooked up since we moved two years ago.

All those PCs and the only problems are a few optical drives. Considering how old most of them are that's hardly unreasonable. Most of the hardware is good quality (first thing I do when looking at a computer is check the makers of the parts from the specs or by cracking the case). Preference might come into the picture with customer service. I had very good service from Compaq when the first hard drive failed and excellent service from Dell the couple of times I needed them for some question. I'd buy from either again.

This is how ignorant I am.....what is an optical drive and how did you know it wasn't working?

I actually have an older Dell laptop (Inspiron 8200) that is soooooo slow you really can't get it to function.....could it be repaired and work?

Dh is very handy on so many things, but computers are not his thing. I do have a recommendation from a homeschool family for a guy who is reasonable and works with computers.

Dawn

I know you're not asking me but we're a dedicated PC family.

Our oldest computer is a Dell desktop that's close to 12 years old now. We've had to replace the optical drives a couple of times and don't play it as often now but that computer is a sentimental favourite because it simply can't be killed.

My daughter's laptop is a handed-down old IBM (age unknown - 6-7 years?). Works perfectly.

My son's is another hand-me-down from a friend, an Acer Eee PC (4-5 years?). Barely gets turned on though. It's underpowered and runs Linux. I like Linux but it won't play all our kids games because of that. Might hook up the Dell for him, AKA Old Faithful.

My husband's laptop is a Toshiba. No issues with it except the poor guy bought it with Vista installed. Ugh. This is the newest computer and it's about 3 years old now.

Mine is a Compaq desktop (5 years old I think?) and the DVD drive has failed twice, once under warranty. I simply plugged in an external drive and am happy.

I actually have an old pentium that I set up for playing DOS games as well but the poor thing hasn't been hooked up since we moved two years ago.

All those PCs and the only problems are a few optical drives. Considering how old most of them are that's hardly unreasonable. Most of the hardware is good quality (first thing I do when looking at a computer is check the makers of the parts from the specs or by cracking the case). Preference might come into the picture with customer service. I had very good service from Compaq when the first hard drive failed and excellent service from Dell the couple of times I needed them for some question. I'd buy from either again.

This is how ignorant I am.....what is an optical drive and how did you know it wasn't working?

It's the CD or DVD drive. We'd know it wasn't working because we'd put in a disk and the computer wouldn't recognize it. Very easy thing to replace.

I actually have an older Dell laptop (Inspiron 8200) that is soooooo slow you really can't get it to function.....could it be repaired and work?

First thing to try is to simply wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows (or try something like Ubuntu Linux) if you still have the original discs and serial number. Most computers I've seen that were slow were that way because of software issues, not because the computer itself had any serious problems.

I am not sure we have any original discs. I would have to ask DH.

We have problems with both of the CD drives on our desktop. We put them in and they don't pop up immediately like they used to. I can go into My Computer and find it, but it is a pain.

Dawn

It's the CD or DVD drive. We'd know it wasn't working because we'd put in a disk and the computer wouldn't recognize it. Very easy thing to replace.

First thing to try is to simply wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows (or try something like Ubuntu Linux) if you still have the original discs and serial number. Most computers I've seen that were slow were that way because of software issues, not because the computer itself had any serious problems.