Menu

What are you doing with your old VHS kids videos??

I don't mean personal ones...those I will take and get them on DVD.

What about 15 Veggietales VHS tapes, and 16 Magic School Bus videos....what do I do with them??? Would a public library take them or do you think someone would actually pay money for them? I am really looking at unloading them somewhere and don't expect to make anything on them. I just wonder, what are we to do with all those children's videos we just had to have!!

I am the opposite of a hoarder and want to empty out a shelf I could put new school books on! And, my kiddos are past that age now...:sad:

If you converted them to DVD, you should have kept the tapes. Otherwise there are two copies running around where you only paid for one.

I am pretty sure the kids at the local orphanage here in Malaysia where I donated them won't turn me in. I can live with the "guilt" of a group of orphans watching a 15 year old tape of Barney without paying for it.

I am pretty sure the kids at the local orphanage here in Malaysia where I donated them won't turn me in. I can live with the "guilt" of a group of orphans watching a 15 year old tape of Barney without paying for it.

But the orphans are watching legal copies. It's the ones you kept that are illegal.

Hmmm.... Still not feeling guilty.

LOL--it's not about feeling guilty. It's just clarifying for the thread that the *fact* of this approach is illegal, in case people think, "Wow--what a good idea--I could help orphans w/out really losing anything!"

It would be like making a pdf of a book for an ereader & then giving the book away. One was paid for; two are being enjoyed. Legally & in principle, it's wrong. Black & white. Personally, I think things like 15yo Barney tapes should be an exception, & I don't blame someone for treating them like they're worthless (as opposed to the latest Hollywood blockbuster); I'd just hate for someone to read the thread & think that IF it's Barney or IF it's for orphans, then it's ok.

You might choose to speed a little, too, & not feel guilty, & it's usually *not* a big deal--certainly no one *feels guilty*--but wouldn't it stink to get caught if you didn't even know you were breaking the law? In your own house, nobody usually knows about pirated films, but if you try to go through airport security or customs, I've heard that a person is likely to get caught, & the consequences are pretty stinky.

LOL--it's not about feeling guilty. It's just clarifying for the thread that the *fact* of this approach is illegal, in case people think, "Wow--what a good idea--I could help orphans w/out really losing anything!"

It would be like making a pdf of a book for an ereader & then giving the book away. One was paid for; two are being enjoyed. Legally & in principle, it's wrong. Black & white. Personally, I think things like 15yo Barney tapes should be an exception, & I don't blame someone for treating them like they're worthless (as opposed to the latest Hollywood blockbuster); I'd just hate for someone to read the thread & think that IF it's Barney or IF it's for orphans, then it's ok.

You might choose to speed a little, too, & not feel guilty, & it's usually *not* a big deal--certainly no one *feels guilty*--but wouldn't it stink to get caught if you didn't even know you were breaking the law? In your own house, nobody usually knows about pirated films, but if you try to go through airport security or customs, I've heard that a person is likely to get caught, & the consequences are pretty stinky.

I get it... so I now amend my previous suggestion with "don't try this at home folks!"

But here? Well, you can't buy a NON-PIRATED dvd if you tried. Literally not one single store on the whole island. The stores at the MALL sell pirated DVDs. Seriously. So giving the orphans the "legit" copies was doing them a favor and put myself in league with the other bad guys here. That's ok. I'm risk taker. I like to live on the edge! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was headed toward the thrift store idea when I was pm'd by Happyhomemama! I sent them to her kiddos to enjoy this summer! I am glad our videos can get another go around with children who will enjoy them.

Maybe when I am ready to get rid of my other kids movies I will send them on to Singapore...;)

I get it... so I now amend my previous suggestion with "don't try this at home folks!"

But here? Well, you can't buy a NON-PIRATED dvd if you tried. Literally not one single store on the whole island. The stores at the MALL sell pirated DVDs. Seriously. So giving the orphans the "legit" copies was doing them a favor and put myself in league with the other bad guys here. That's ok. I'm risk taker. I like to live on the edge! :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile:

We were at our local resale shop last week and I saw a woman buying a huge stack of VHS tapes. Not everyone is up to date with the latest technology and would really love to have them I'm sure.

Hmmm...it sounds like I better expect another box of movies from my MIL. I still have two huge boxes in the corner behind the television to sort through. How many copies of the Lion King does my family need?

I'd feel better about our own enormous VHS collection if I could find a decent BluRay VHS combo player for under $500. Apparently the only ones out there today have some major flaws.