Menu

I'm biting my tongue and trying not to judge...

:iagree:

I have never even heard of this movie (1st or 2nd) and was thinking that people had no right to comment on other parent's choices, however, call me judgemental, but ...:willy_nilly::eek:... come on , if the review is half accurate to this movie's contents, then it deserves an nc17 or whatever is worse then R. A monkey licking genitals!!! And from the review: "A Russian club owner offers the s@xual services of a child for $2,000." Over 100 curse words!

Of course I also agree that people in the theater to see that movie obviously find it ok for themselves and have little room to talk. But as the ticket seller I would be tempted to ask the mother if she had atleast read a review.

This is not funny. But how many people will laugh at that? I can't imagine supporting this movie with my money to make fun of child prostitution. :sad:

And it does make me sad that people would choose to let their children see something like this. Yeah, it's their "right." :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any indecent things that should not receive laughter and acceptance? If we laugh at something doesn't that mean we think it is funny and acceptable? I appreciate honest answers (from anyone) to these kinds of questions.

You can only make those decisions for YOURSELF (and your own children until they're older) - not for other people. What YOU consider "indecent" and what SOMEONE ELSE considers "indecent" may or may not be the same…that's just life.

You said something earlier about "calling a spade a spade" ..and I immediately thought "and what if your spade is someone else's shovel?"

You can only make those decisions for YOURSELF (and your own children until they're older) - not for other people. What YOU consider "indecent" and what SOMEONE ELSE considers "indecent" may or may not be the same…that's just life.

You said something earlier about "calling a spade a spade" ..and I immediately thought "and what if your spade is someone else's shovel?"

I get that, but a close-up shot of a monkey licking a p#&is? Child prostitution? Honestly, what child needs to be watching those things? But it's the parents right?

That's just life? These are the kids that are going to grow up and marry my kids. And yours. I want my kids to have healthy views of sex and nudity. Not views warped by moviemakers.

, underage drinking, illegal drugs, lying, adultery, lewdness etc. should not be mentioned in front of a child? Or perhaps a child should not see adults laughing about such things? I think a PP joked (maybe wasn't joking) about her child not seeing content like that until she is 25. How do parents choose the age for their children to see such things as in The Hangover movies? Are there any indecent things that should not receive laughter and acceptance? If we laugh at something doesn't that mean we think it is funny and acceptable? I appreciate honest answers (from anyone) to these kinds of questions.

From my point of view, I don't think anything is funny that depicts serious harm to someone. I have a darkish sense of humor, in general, though. So, my definition of "serious harm" is a bit flexible. It also makes a difference to me how realistic such depiction is.

However, if I were worried about my children hearing jokes about erections, adultery, lewdness, lying or drinking, I couldn't ever take them to a Shakespearean play, could I? Even underage drinking is kind of a fact of life for many kids. And while I don't usually like to see either that or illegal drug use played for laughs, they are certainly subjects I've not only mentioned but actively discussed with my kids.

I'll say again that I haven't seen either Hangover movie. They don't appeal to me (or my kids). So, I don't know enough about them to say whether or when I would find it acceptable for my kids to see them. In general, though, I think we all make these decisions based on our own values and our knowledge of our own children.

As I said before, I very much appreciate the right to do so for my family and, therefore, have to accept that others do, too.

I read the preceding posts and maintain there was nothing to get offended about and I did see the first Hangover.

I'm so glad. I didn't feel the same way. That's my prerogative.

"Offensive" doesn't mean what it used to.

No, it still means the same thing. And since several people's backs were up based on those posts, I think it's safe to say they were offended by both your tone and your words.

If your intention on this board is to actively work to "change minds," then you shouldn't be surprised when people have a problem with that. Thankfully, the board provides an easy solution!

but I have to let it out somewhere! A family that we know took their ten and eleven year old sons to see The Hangover 2. And they are upset that some of the moviegoers gave them a hard time. That is all. I just had to get it out.

I find this strangely comforting;).

Are there any indecent things that should not receive laughter and acceptance? If we laugh at something doesn't that mean we think it is funny and acceptable? I appreciate honest answers (from anyone) to these kinds of questions.
Laughter is often a coping mechanism to deal with fear or discomfort and absolutely does not necessarily imply acceptance. You are free to find humour in different places than I, but you are on shaky ground when you start introducing character issues.

Here's a quote from one of my favourite comedians on the matter:

“The mechanical, that’s what I find funny. The machine, the human machine. Repetition. Denial. Wilful stupidity. Compulsion. All very old stuff. Everything that’s not being filtered through reason, everything that’s not properly volitional. That’s what’s funny. That’s why you get endless jokes about poos and wees. And sex. And death. Anything that’s out of your control is funny.†-- Dylan Moran

I'm so glad. I didn't feel the same way. That's my prerogative.

No, it still means the same thing. And since several people's backs were up based on those posts, I think it's safe to say they were offended by both your tone and your words.

If your intention on this board is to actively work to "change minds," then you shouldn't be surprised when people have a problem with that. Thankfully, the board provides an easy solution!

My "back was up" after reading reviews about the movie in question. And since it had to do with the OP I voiced MY OPINION. I didn't tell anyone what they should do or call names.

If calling something "indecent" when it is "indecent" is wrong, I am guilty.

My tone :confused: I am typing!

Actively trying to change minds? reread post 65

I'm not surprised.

I don't know what easy solution you are talking about.

Why will no one answer my question? Is there ANYTHING indecent?

I think it is ironic that you think my opinions and questions are offensive and not the indecent content of the movie.

I would never take my kids to see a movie like that - or an R-rated movie, for that matter...but that is just our preferences. It has nothing to do with being Christian (as someone said earlier)...it is just our preference. Dh and I will watch raunchy movies...but even we have limits. I turned off "The Big Lebowski" the other night (on Netflix live) because there were curse words with every breath. I curse occasionally (sometimes more than occasionally) but I don't want to sit down and watch a movie with f*** in every other sentence. Just pointless.

I have to say, though, I took my kids to the PG rated Rango movie and watched in horror as a "child" (animal character child) put a loaded gun in her mouth AFTER saying, "look, there is a bullet in it!" This was a PG rated cartoon and I was shocked - as was my 19 year old nephew who went with us. The movies have really gone from bad to worse in this generation!

I think the reason many people take children to movies like this is because they want to do what they want to do regardless of their children. People have children and want to keep on living their life the way they did before children. They will not give up anything just because of a kid. They want to see the movie, so the kid is going to have to see it, too. Instead of just saying "Well, I guess we can't go see that movie since it may not be appropriate for the kids." It's just the way society is these days. Make the kids fit into your life, don't even consider changing your life to raise your kids.

I didn't read every page on this thread. If there are people here who have said they would take their child, I don't mean to offend. If it is with the knowledge of the content of the movie and the decision that it is completely appropriate for your child, that's one thing. I don't think that's what goes through many parents' minds, though, and that's what I'm commenting on.

Laughter is often a coping mechanism to deal with fear or discomfort and absolutely does not necessarily imply acceptance. You are free to find humour in different places than I, but you are on shaky ground when you start introducing character issues.

Here's a quote from one of my favourite comedians on the matter:

“The mechanical, that’s what I find funny. The machine, the human machine. Repetition. Denial. Wilful stupidity. Compulsion. All very old stuff. Everything that’s not being filtered through reason, everything that’s not properly volitional. That’s what’s funny. That’s why you get endless jokes about poos and wees. And sex. And death. Anything that’s out of your control is funny.” -- Dylan Moran

Replies like this I appreciate.

I don't know what you mean by "character issues". I did not write about character qualitites regarding anyone here who said they like/go to these kinds of movies. Any adjectives or derogatory words used by me were to describe the movie (again, my opinion). I did say that I don't know how anyone can read the review and still go and laugh, and since that is my opinion, I don't think I have to elaborate.

In regards to humor and what is funny, I like the quote you used. But I don't agree with "And sex". If I stub my toe and my child laughs, I may not be happy with her, but I would not fault her for doing it. She cannot help it, and I may start laughing myself. At least that's what usually happens. OTOH if she laughs when she hears about a little Russian girl being sold as a prostitute I would be miserably sad.

If everyone has his own definition of "decent" doesn't that make the word useless?

Edited by dmmosher

“The mechanical, that’s what I find funny. The machine, the human machine. Repetition. Denial. Wilful stupidity. Compulsion. All very old stuff. Everything that’s not being filtered through reason, everything that’s not properly volitional. That’s what’s funny. That’s why you get endless jokes about poos and wees. And sex. And death. Anything that’s out of your control is funny.†-- Dylan Moran

I absolutely LOVE Dylan Moran. I doubt I would have ever heard of him if it wasn't for YouTube. :001_smile: He is the source of a different favorite quote of mine, but it's not appropriate for this thread (or maybe even this board).

I don't know what you mean by "character issues". I did not write about character qualitites regarding anyone here who said they like/go to these kinds of movies. Any adjectives or derogatory words used by me were to describe the movie (again, my opinion). I did say that I don't know how anyone can read the review and still go and laugh, and since that is my opinion, I don't think I have to elaborate.
I said this in reference to the question of whether laughing at "filth" implies acceptance. One would be making an assumption about the character of another in that case.

So if a man is doing indecent things outside your home and the police arrest him, are the police just going by their definition of what is "decent"?

That's one of my main points. Is there ANYTHING considered indecent anymore? Is it wrong to call certain actions "indecent"?

Once again, "calling a spade a spade" was in reference to the content

of the movie (not how you or anyone else here lives life).

Making fun of someone in a wheel chair or selling a child into prostitution is disgusting, and I am not going to apologize for my opinion.

I said this in reference to the question of whether laughing at "filth" implies acceptance. One would be making an assumption about the character of another in that case.

I think that laughing at something intentionally implies acceptance. If you would like to convince me otherwise :bigear:

The "filth" part is my opinion about the content.

Well I am going straight to hell. I let my 12 yr old watch the first one. It's a comedy. Take it for that or don't go see it. There are far worse movies out there. Most of what is on TV depicts objectionable stuff like adultery, stealing, lying, sex, whatever. I can't wait to see the second one but then again I thought Jackass was totally hysterical, gross, but hysterical. Boot me off the island:tongue_smilie:

Well I am going straight to hell. I let my 12 yr old watch the first one. It's a comedy. Take it for that or don't go see it. There are far worse movies out there. Most of what is on TV depicts objectionable stuff like adultery, stealing, lying, sex, whatever. I can't wait to see the second one but then again I thought Jackass was totally hysterical, gross, but hysterical. Boot me off the island:tongue_smilie:

Your opinion is appreciated, although I don't understand the island part!

Was there a post about hell, I missed :confused:

Edited by dmmosher

I think that laughing at something intentionally implies acceptance. If you would like to convince me otherwise :bigear:

The "filth" part is my opinion about the content.

:001_smile:

Darned phone. Sometimes strange things pop up (like "farmed phone just now).

ETA: Disregard. I though I'd made a typo. I think you and I have different opinions as to the fundamental nature of comedy.

Edited by nmoira

Years ago, before we had kids, my husband and I went to see one of the Lord of the Rings movies and an adult sat next to us with two young children (six and under). One of the kids was crying and begging to leave during a couple of scary parts and the woman just kept shushing her and telling her to "just cover your eyes". I was pretty angry about the whole situation and it completely ruined the movie experience for me as I was more focused on those poor kids than I was on enjoying the movie myself. I didn't say anything to this person, but you can bet it was plain on my face what I thought of her sitting there with those little kids. And fwiw, I wouldprobably now allow my own young kids to watch the same movie here at home, with me there to intervene/explain/sooth/stop the movie if something awful was happening that was bothering them. So it's less about the content for me and more about the environment, an understanding of the kids involved (mine are not at all sensitive to LotR type violence), and a willingness to be present for the kids while they watch.

All that said, based on reviews and trailers alone, Hangover is not something I would ever, in a million years, allow my kids to watch -- movie theatre or otherwise. Gah.

I do find it interesting to read so many comments here about it being the parent's right to have their kids watch whatever they deem appropriate, which suggests there's no boundary for acceptable/unacceptable viewing for minors. Especially when I contrast that view with a thread a I read here yesterday suggesting a poster call CPS because of a little girl at the park that was in dirty clothes for four days, had matted hair, wasn't being fed a snack and was in charge of keeping her 18 mo brother off a climbing structure. I bring that up because, to me, it seems less harmful to be dirty and basically ignored at a playground than it does to be watching movies that are loaded with sex, drugs, violence, etc. (Because I'm guessing if you take your kids to see Hangover, that's not the only such type movie they're exposed to.) Again, just my opinion on what constitutes harmful parenting practices... I'll take a dirty kid with a little too much responsibility over one that is filled with images and stories of really nasty stuff that might be happening in the world. But I guess we all have our own ideas of what is and is not harmful for kids, and we put our own boundaries into play. (I don't care if my kids have messy hair and dirty clothes, but I won't let them watch half of what Disney puts out as kids' programming.)

Oh, and I remember one of my first movie theatre experiences from when I was very young. I'm pretty sure it was Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again, which would have been playing when I was around 8 or 9 yrs old. (I had to go searching for the title and description to try and peg it; this sounds like the movie I saw.) There's a particular scene I remember, and let me tell you, it was not in any way, shape or form something I should have been exposed to at that age! I pretty much think my mom was an idiot for bringing us to the theatre with her to see it. Maybe these kids from the OP will grow up thinking their parents are morons too.

I do find it interesting to read so many comments here about it being the parent's right to have their kids watch whatever they deem appropriate,

Also, I've said it repeatedly here in all sorts of contexts-I might agree that you have a right to do something and still think you are an idiot/jerk/bad parent for doing it. Those are not opposing views.

I think the reason many people take children to movies like this is because they want to do what they want to do regardless of their children. People have children and want to keep on living their life the way they did before children. They will not give up anything just because of a kid. They want to see the movie, so the kid is going to have to see it, too. Instead of just saying "Well, I guess we can't go see that movie since it may not be appropriate for the kids." It's just the way society is these days. Make the kids fit into your life, don't even consider changing your life to raise your kids.

I didn't read every page on this thread. If there are people here who have said they would take their child, I don't mean to offend. If it is with the knowledge of the content of the movie and the decision that it is completely appropriate for your child, that's one thing. I don't think that's what goes through many parents' minds, though, and that's what I'm commenting on.

Exactly. My sister likes horror movies. She is amazed at the number of parents that bring along kids anywhere from toddlers to preteens. And they stay even when a child is visibly upset. She is one of those that will shoot dirty looks at those people. It is complete selfishness on the part of the parents imo. Don't want to pay for a babysitter? Bring them along! Ugh! Is it really that hard to wait a few months until it comes out on DVD and watch it at home after the kids are asleep? I don't get it.

I didn't see the first Hangover movie and won't see the second. If any of the comments on here are true about what is in the movie, then, yeah, I'd consider it mostly unfit for anyone to watch. But each to his own. It does amaze me that what once wouldn't even be in an NC-17 movie is now considered normal. I guess that is why we never go to the movies.

A few years ago, my dh and I went and saw "Taken". It was rated R, had a very-adult theme but was well done and had a good ending. Some of it had me closing my eyes.

I was appalled that there were a few sets of children at that movie with their parents. It took my dh to grab my hand so I wouldn't say something to those 'adults'. I think scenes from that movie would have permanently been engraved on my brain had I seen it when I was 10. What were they thinking? Oh- maybe they weren't. :glare:

Also, I've said it repeatedly here in all sorts of contexts-I might agree that you have a right to do something and still think you are an idiot/jerk/bad parent for doing it. Those are not opposing views.

Yep. True enough! Though I do wonder why sometimes people are surprised by the idea that they're being judged, whatever the reason. We're all full of judgements, which help us to make choices that we feel are appropriate for ourselves. (When I know what I don't want, I can further define what I do want.) My judgement that someone makes an idiot decision doesn't negate the fact that they're free to be idiots. ;) I know many people shake their heads at all sorts of choices I make (home birth, co-sleeping, homeschooling, non-vaccinating, not forcing my kids to wash their hair every day, etc. etc.) and in some cases, judge it as bad parenting. Meh. I could care less if people think I'm crazy for my choices. To each their own.

I remember going to see "Silence of the Lambs" in the theatre. Part way through a distinctly tiny voice piped up "Mommy what is that man doing?" Every head in that theatre turned and saw a girl who couldn't be more than 5 years old being dragged down the aisle by her mother. I'm sure at least a couple of people made some suggestions as to the parenting character of the mother on their way out.

I've never quite forgotten that, and I still wonder why people bring young children to movies that are obviously not meant for young eyes.

We saw "Independence Day" at the theater. During one of the very intense scenes of total death and destruction, we heard a little boy say, "Mommy, I'm scared. I want to leave." Mom said, "Shhh, honey. It's okay. It's not real." ARGH!!

Yep. True enough! Though I do wonder why sometimes people are surprised by the idea that they're being judged, whatever the reason. We're all full of judgements, which help us to make choices that we feel are appropriate for ourselves. (When I know what I don't want, I can further define what I do want.) My judgement that someone makes an idiot decision doesn't negate the fact that they're free to be idiots. ;) I know many people shake their heads at all sorts of choices I make (home birth, co-sleeping, homeschooling, non-vaccinating, not forcing my kids to wash their hair every day, etc. etc.) and in some cases, judge it as bad parenting. Meh. I could care less if people think I'm crazy for my choices. To each their own.

Okay, now I have to say that I agree with "to each his own," particularly when it comes to adults (and most parenting issues). Just because I'm not comfortable with those kinds of movies/don't find them funny, that doesn't mean I would call them filth or wonder about the type of person you must be if you watch them.

I don't think people taking their 10 year old to a movie most people would consider adults-only should be surprised to have some negative reactions.

I don't think people urging other adults not to see a movie because it is too dirty should be surprised to have some negative reactions.

It goes both ways.

I'd probably wonder about why they had brought a child to the movie, but I'd keep my judgments to myself. Different families can make decisions for themselves about what is or is not appropriate.

In general, I think maybe people give kids too much credit for understanding things. My parents really didn't censor much in movies. They'd watch whatever movies they were watching with my sister and I in the room, and they'd just fast-forward through sex scenes. I'm sure we watched a bunch of movies that were raunchy and inappropriate, but I think 90% of it or more went over our heads.

It's the Golden Girls effect. I watched that show every week with my parents when I was growing up. It wasn't until I saw re-runs as an adult that I realized that every single episode was full of sexual innuendo, and that the women's sex lives were pretty much the subject of every episode. I thought it was just about funny old ladies who ate cheesecake and went on dates. All of the sexual stuff just went right over my head.

It's the Golden Girls effect. I watched that show every week with my parents when I was growing up. It wasn't until I saw re-runs as an adult that I realized that every single episode was full of sexual innuendo, and that the women's sex lives were pretty much the subject of every episode. I thought it was just about funny old ladies who ate cheesecake and went on dates. All of the sexual stuff just went right over my head.

That's hilarious. I was the same way about Three's Company. I just liked watching Jack fall over the back of the couch. I saw a rerun as a college student and realized it was all about sex.

Oh you know-survivor:D

Never saw it and never read a review about it :001_smile:.

And I don't think just because I disagree with your choice of entertainment you should be booted out of the discussion.

I am a firm believer in allowing everyone a chance to express her opinion. I like it better when it doesn't include name calling or implications (you must be a better __________ than I :glare:)

This discussion made me think (again) of why I laugh at the things I do, and for that I am grateful.

Edited by dmmosher

:lol: When I was a kid, I loved the movie Gigi, which I watched with my mom whenever it was on. It wasn't until I was an adult and suggested it as an option for a colleague looking for classic musicals for a child to watch that the true meaning of Gigi's intended vocation was made clear to me :blush: I thought they were just dating. My mom was shocked that I didn't realize, and I was shocked that she thought I had at those ages! (It's still my favorite movie though :D)

Never saw it, and never read a review about it :001_smile:.

And I don't think just because I disagree with your choice of entertainment you should be booted out of the discussion.

I am a firm believer in allowing everyone a chance to express her opinion. I like it better when it doesn't include name calling or implications (you must be a better __________ than I :glare:)

This discussion made me think (again) of why I laugh at the things I do, and for that I am grateful.

You honestly don't see why some people are bothered by these statements?

Please read the reviews before you go. I truly hope you will change your mind. Maybe try Candid Camera reruns or Funniest Home videos--they will give you the laugh you want without the feeling of guilt.

Why do you hope they change their minds? Especially people who have seen the first movie and found it funny?

Why should they feel guilty?

I'm really starting to wonder whether people look at reviews before they go to movies, or is it just blissful ignorance helping them make the choice?

If they saw the first one, then they are making a decision that they are fine with seeing this one.

My big problem with kids seeing these movies? The amount of nudity, male, female and somewhere in between (it takes place in Bangkok, I haven't see the movie, but I know what Bangkok is famous for). Viewing nude she-males is quite a bit different than an off-color joke in The Golden Girls. I honestly don't understand how this was not NC-17.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Okay, now I have to say that I agree with "to each his own" particularly when it comes to adults (and most parenting issues). Just because I'm not comfortable with those kinds of movies/don't find them funny, that doesn't mean I would call them filth or wonder about the type of person you must be if you watch them.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a fine line in the wondering about a person's character department. (Not so much in the name-calling, which I don't think is appropriate... and here I should mention that my comment about people being within their rights to be idiots was a joke; I was not at all trying to call anyone an idiot.) What I mean by that is, if we are judging another person's choices, in terms of assessing the behaviour and basing an opinion on that assessment, then is there not a level of wondering about a person's character that goes with that? I think it is somewhat normal to ponder over what makes a person decide that X is ok and Y is not. People like to file others away in categories, whether they're right or wrong in their characterization. It seems the key is not so much in the questioning, but in the criticism that can come with it.
I don't think people taking their 10 year old to a movie most people would consider adults-only should be surprised to have some negative reactions.

I don't think people urging other adults not to see a movie because it is too dirty should be surprised to have some negative reactions.

It goes both ways.

Agreed. By the same token, people who keep their kids from such things may be subject to reactions from those that don't. (Thinking of someone who is in the minority regarding censoring and how the 'group' might react to them.) Again, it seems pretty much a fact of human nature that people are going to rally in support of their own opinions and question those that are of a differing mindset. That doesn't mean they have to be nasty about it though.

Okay, now I have to say that I agree with "to each his own," particularly when it comes to adults (and most parenting issues). Just because I'm not comfortable with those kinds of movies/don't find them funny, that doesn't mean I would call them filth or wonder about the type of person you must be if you watch them.

It goes both ways.

I am not surprised or disturbed by anything except the name calling/implications.

I did not enter a thread where people were ranting and raving about The Hangover 2 and rain on their parade. The OP was, to a large extent, about the content of the movie. I think it is filth. Obviously you don't, or if you do you don't want to state it in a public forum. That's fine. Nothing here surprises me, really. The ONLY reason I urged the PP to read the review before going was because I thought she was going against her conscience. Heck, I know dh and I probably shouldn't watch it. Forgive me for caring about someone's conscience. Forgive me for not recognizing sarcasm (if that's what it was).

If someone thinks twice about laughing at child prostitution and public erections because of something I wrote, then I'm glad I participated in the thread.

My children know about most of those things I mentioned in post 99. However, when we have those "adult" discussions I always end them by saying, "Please don't talk about this on the playground with Sally. These are personal things, and her mom/dad want(s) to be the ones who teach her about that". Isn't that the decent thing to do? Well, I guess I'm supposed to say, "my definition of decent" :glare:

And lastly, I didn't wonder about any person's character and then write about it in this thread.

Off to spend time with my precious children :auto:

Hmm. I wonder if there's a fine line in the wondering about a person's character department. (Not so much in the name-calling, which I don't think is appropriate... and here I should mention that my comment about people being within their rights to be idiots was a joke; I was not at all trying to call anyone an idiot.) What I mean by that is, if we are judging another person's choices, in terms of assessing the behaviour and basing an opinion on that assessment, then is there not a level of wondering about a person's character that goes with that?

Right. I think this is what gets people into trouble, when they make particular statements that on one level or another call people's character into question. It *seems* that people are fine with saying "oh, that movie is just too dirty for me" or "I think it's bad judgment to take a kid to this movie," versus saying, "how can *anyone* find such a disgusting movie funny," or "those parents should be shot."

By the same token, people who keep their kids from such things may be subject to reactions from those that don't. (Thinking of someone who is in the minority regarding censoring and how the 'group' might react to them.)

This is an excellent point. I have definitely seen it work in reverse. People accused of sheltering their kids, trying to keep them a child, etc.

In regard to judging the character of people who find such movies funny:

I know plenty of people who loved the first Hangover movie. I'm hearing mixed thoughts about the second one as those who see (I'm speaking of IRL friends) it start to talk about it. Personally I didn't care much for the first one and have no desire to see the current one. I just didn't see the humor in it. However, I know that the people who laugh at these and similar movies are laughing at the absurdity of it all. They aren't condoning the behavior. Some people might say that by watching these movies (and spending money on them) they are condoning such behavior. I disagree. These movies are almost slapstick in the sense of the characters getting into outrageous situations. People who think it's funny still recognize it as *fiction*.

In regard to judging the character of people who find such movies funny:

I know plenty of people who loved the first Hangover movie. I'm hearing mixed thoughts about the second one as those who see (I'm speaking of IRL friends) it start to talk about it. Personally I didn't care much for the first one and have no desire to see the current one. I just didn't see the humor in it. However, I know that the people who laugh at these and similar movies are laughing at the absurdity of it all. They aren't condoning the behavior. Some people might say that by watching these movies (and spending money on them) they are condoning such behavior. I disagree. These movies are almost slapstick in the sense of the characters getting into outrageous situations. People who think it's funny still recognize it as *fiction*.

Right. The Hangover isn't my kind of humor; I watched the first one and didn't find it funny at all.

But, I used to watch Absolutely Fabulous and thought it was incredibly funny. And those women were horrible! They were selfish and mean-spirited and materialistic and vain and all sorts of awful things. That's partly why it was funny. You weren't laughing because those things are good, funny things, but because the show took them to such extremes that they became absurd, and therefore funny. The point certainly wasn't that their behavior was good or something to be replicated.

Never saw it and never read a review about it :001_smile:.

No way! You never watched Survivor? It's one of those long running, time to retire, reality TV shows.

Anyway, I just find that people are so passionate about this topic to the extent that it ranks with the political and religious threads funny. Really, who has time? It's 94 outside and the pool is calling our names.....:001_smile:

No way! You never watched Survivor? It's one of those long running, time to retire, reality TV shows.

Anyway, I just find that people are so passionate about this topic to the extent that it ranks with the political and religious threads funny. Really, who has time? It's 94 outside and the pool is calling our names.....:001_smile:

Yes, way. I think it was popular when I was living in another country (with no electricity). I never had the desire to tune in when we got back. I'm assuming folks don't get booted off the show just for expressing their opinions :001_smile: At least I hope not.

It's only 80 here today, but so sunny and beautiful. My dc just went to their aunt's house, and I am off to garage sale hop. Maybe I can turn it into a quest to buy up all the raunchy VHS/DVDs out there and have a bon fire tonight :D

Yes, decency is a passionate topic and one I care about immensely. I don't think it is a coincidence that life is imitating "art" in our society. I think it's sad that each of us has to have our own set of rules regarding what's decent nowadays, and more importantly, not call indecent behaviour indecent (even when it is *fiction*).

I am a card carrying member of the American Decency Association. (Just that comment alone will give some all the humor they need for the rest of the week!)

Have fun swimming.

Edited by dmmosher

Yes, decency is a passionate topic and one I care about immensely. I don't think it is a coincidence that life is imitating "art" in our society. I think it's sad that each of us has to have our own set of rules regarding what's decent nowadays, and more importantly, not call indecent behaviour indecent (even when it is *fiction*).
If it's all the same, I'd rather not have you decide for me.

FWIW, I suspect that there are few jokes older than those of shepherds and sheep if you know what I mean. *nudge, nudge* *wink, wink* At what point in time do you think "we" crossed the collective line and became an indecent society?

If it's all the same, I'd rather not have you decide for me. Please show me the post, nmoira, where I said I would even want to do that, even if I could? As far as I know, NO ONE who thinks the movie is a thumbs up has given me an example of something that is indecent. Why not?

FWIW, I suspect that there are few jokes older than those of shepherds and sheep if you know what I mean. *nudge, nudge* *wink, wink* No, I don't know what you mean :confused: At what point in time do you think "we" crossed the collective line and became an indecent society? I think this is a good question. I will have to think about it more. I just know that every time I think about people laughing about a child being sold into sexual slavery it breaks my heart. Don't people know that child prostitution is a serious, huge problem in our world? Or is it that we just. do. not. care? Actually, it makes me cry just to think about it as I type this. I DON'T CARE IF IT IS JUST A FICTIONAL (like I couldn't figure that out/or as if it really makes a difference) STORY! (Yes, that was me shouting on the inside). Basically, folks are saying that because they need to unwind after a hard day and kick back, they will watch indecent, stupid-plot movies because, after all, it's their kind of humor, and you can just shut up about pointing out the indecency/vulgarity of the whole thing. Excuse me for linking a review and giving my opinion. Excuse me for reminding folks that our children are WATCHING US! People are spending millions of dollars on this garbage (sorry Mrs. Mungo, I have to tell it like it is) when we could be giving that money to stop the abuse of innocent little children all over the world. We could be down in Joplin helping heart-broken men and women pick up real garbage and lend a hand to rebuild their lives. I think it's safe to say they don't have time for watching any movies right now. Instead, we have folks (according to the OP) taking little children into The Hangover 2 and seeing *us* laugh about unconscionable things. Just makes my stomach wretch. Yeah, to each his own, the only thing is it's our little children who will reap the *rewards*

:001_huh:

ETA: In regards to the "guilty" comment I made several pages ago (when I thought someone was struggling with whether to go to this movie). You can protest all you want (not you, nmoira, you general) that laughing about child sex slavery (or really any other lewd gesture/comment in the movie) doesn't prick your conscience and cause you to question your actions, but I think you are just supressing your feelings and not admitting it (once again MY OPINION)! Of course, I could be wrong.

Edited by dmmosher

Me:

FWIW, I suspect that there are few jokes older than those of shepherds and sheep if you know what I mean. *nudge, nudge* *wink, wink*

No, I don't know what you mean :confused:

Bestiality jokes, which are as far as I know both cross-cultural and as old as the hills.

Edited by nmoira

Me:

If it's all the same, I'd rather not have you decide for me.

If it's all the same, I'd rather not have you decide for me. Please show me the post, nmoira, where I said I would even want to do that, even if I could?
I'm just saying I'd rather have the ability to draw my own line, rather than have "product" which will offend nobody.

You:

I think it's sad that each of us has to have our own set of rules regarding what's decent nowadays, and more importantly, not call indecent behaviour indecent (even when it is *fiction*).

Those were your words. Of course we should draw our own lines. It's silly to think it should be any other way.

You:

As far as I know, NO ONE who thinks the movie is a thumbs up has given me an example of something that is indecent. Why not?

Not that it's relevant, but I haven't seen the movie... not my cuppa tea. It's a certainty, however, that I enjoy humour which you would find to be indecent or offensive.

Me: FWIW, I suspect that there are few jokes older than those of shepherds and sheep if you know what I mean. *nudge, nudge* *wink, wink*

Bestiality jokes, which are as far as I know both cross-cultural and as old as the hills.

Ugh! :001_huh: I learn so much on these forums (even when I'd rather not!)

Good point. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's good/pure.

And FWIW, I'm not the only one who called the movie "raunchy".

Ugh! :001_huh: I learn so much on these forums (even when I'd rather not!)

Good point. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's good/pure.

And just because something isn't good or pure doesn't mean it's not funny.

And FWIW, I'm not the only one who called the movie "raunchy".
I have no doubt it is.

nmoira: Those were your words. Of course we should draw our own lines. It's silly to think it should be any other way.

Really? So if some man starts doing perverse things in my driveway, the police shouldn't arrest him and book him? Who am I to judge, after all? Obviously he has a different view of what's decent. Give the guy a break. Get a life. Enough already. Back off. Let it go, will ya (I'm talking to myself ;))

We can't have it both ways. Some things are indecent. Are you saying I'm wrong about that? Enlighten me, please. I didn't say that we should all have our own definition of "decency", others on the thread said or implied that.

That doesn't mean I'm striving to take away your choice to watch whatever movie you want. I can't even get adults to cite a real life event which should be categorized as *indecent*. I guess no one wants to be considered judgmental :001_huh:

Probably just as well. There are probably young WTMers reading this thread.

(Thanks for saving me $ today! :auto: to look for bargains)