Menu

What's the name of the national test that public school kids take annually?

mhg

What is/are the names of the standardized tests public school kids take?

Do they take them once/year? Once every 9 weeks or what?

Is it different per state or do all public school kids take some same national test?

I'm not up on this subject.

In Alabama, they take the SAT, and there is some way to differentiate it from the high school SAT, but I forget what it is. I took them every year as a child, and if my son had started in school, he would have taken it this year in first grade.

In Alabama, they take the SAT, and there is some way to differentiate it from the high school SAT, but I forget what it is. I took them every year as a child, and if my son had started in school, he would have taken it this year in first grade.

It's probably the Stanford Achievement Test rather than the Scholastic Aptitude Test (the one done in high school). Same acronym, different tests.

There is no national test. This is why comparing states is ridiculous. Most states write their own tests. In SC the tests are so hard, it makes the dc look like the school systems are bad. In GA the tests are much easier. When I used to teach in SC, GA would poke fun at SC for writing their test so hard. GA's students appeared to be much smarted than SC because their tests were much easier.

There are a few tests that are considered more standard. The CAT and the :glare: can't remember the name. I has a B in the initials. Could someone help me out with the name of that test? Maybe one of those tests are what you are looking for?

There is no national test. This is why comparing states is ridiculous. Most states write their own tests. In SC the tests are so hard, it makes the dc look like the school systems are bad. In GA the tests are much easier. When I used to teach in SC, GA would poke fun at SC for writing their test so hard. GA's students appeared to be much smarted than SC because their tests were much easier.

There are a few tests that are considered more standard. The CAT and the :glare: can't remember the name. I has a B in the initials. Could someone help me out with the name of that test? Maybe one of those tests are what you are looking for?

ITBS - Iowa test of basic skills

There are many:

CAT--California Achievement Test

ITBS--Iowa Test of Basic Skills

SAT--Stanford Achievement Test

CTBS--Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills

...and more.

Quite a few states use their own standardized tests; Texas, for example, does the TAKS test.

Usually, public school students are tested annually, most often in the spring of each year.

Is it different per state or do all public school kids take some same national test?

See my answer above.

I spent four years employed by one of the major test publishers.

It varies by state. There are some tests that are distributed nationally and are normed nationally, like the ITBS and the CAT test. The fact that these tests have the names of states in them does not mean they are only for that state. Some states/districts will administer a nationally normed test every year. Some only use them at certain grade levels.

There are also tests that are custom developed for individual states. The state hires a test publishing company to develop a state test for them. Examples are the WASL in Washington, the TONYSS in New York, the FCAT in Florida, the ISAT in Illinois, etc. These state-specific tests are only given in that state. Which years they are administered depends on the state. Some states administer their state test at only certain grade levels, some every year, and some do some parts some years and other parts other years. It depends on the individual state.

Some states use only their state test or a nationally normed test for a specific grade level, and some states will administer both their state test and a nationally normed test in the same academic year for a grade level, often one right after another.

It's probably the Stanford Achievement Test rather than the Scholastic Aptitude Test (the one done in high school). Same acronym, different tests.

That would be it. :) I never actually knew what the high school SAT stood for, even though I took it. :tongue_smilie:

I spent four years employed by one of the major test publishers.

It varies by state. There are some tests that are distributed nationally and are normed nationally, like the ITBS and the CAT test. The fact that these tests have the names of states in them does not mean they are only for that state. Some states/districts will administer a nationally normed test every year. Some only use them at certain grade levels.

There are also tests that are custom developed for individual states. The state hires a test publishing company to develop a state test for them. Examples are the WASL in Washington, the TONYSS in New York, the FCAT in Florida, the ISAT in Illinois, etc. These state-specific tests are only given in that state. Which years they are administered depends on the state. Some states administer their state test at only certain grade levels, some every year, and some do some parts some years and other parts other years. It depends on the individual state.

Some states use only their state test or a nationally normed test for a specific grade level, and some states will administer both their state test and a nationally normed test in the same academic year for a grade level, often one right after another.

Kind of OT, but I'm curious- do you know if public school teachers receive copies of the test that they can look at before their students take it?

I've heard of some HSing parents who use standardized tests (for reporting to the state) say they look at the test before they give it to their child(ren) and change their lesson(s) accordingly. The HSing parents say that public schools "teach to the test," which I always assumed meant that they taught (or attempted to teach) their state's standards, not that they had actual copies of the actual test questions and taught the kids those things. This doesn't strike me as kosher, but if public school teachers do it, I guess it's okay for HSing parents to do it. ???

Kind of OT, but I'm curious- do you know if public school teachers receive copies of the test that they can look at before their students take it?

I've heard of some HSing parents who use standardized tests (for reporting to the state) say they look at the test before they give it to their child(ren) and change their lesson(s) accordingly. The HSing parents say that public schools "teach to the test," which I always assumed meant that they taught (or attempted to teach) their state's standards, not that they had actual copies of the actual test questions and taught the kids those things. This doesn't strike me as kosher, but if public school teachers do it, I guess it's okay for HSing parents to do it. ???

If everyone else is jumping off a bridge.........

Aside from the fact that I think most of us aspire to something better than "what public school teachers do,";) it doesn't matter who does it or how many people do it, teaching to the specific questions of a test invalidates that test for those students. If enough people do it, it invalidates the test for everyone because then your kids are being compared to kids who were taught the specific questions, an unfair advantage. IMO, it is also unethical, basically cheating on behalf of one's children, because it robs them of the option to show their actual achievement. It gives a negative image of the integrity of homeschooling, which could lead to requirements that only tests administered by a third party are acceptable because those are the only results that can be expected to be honest, and reinforces the stereotype that parents can't be trusted with the education of their children, only professionals can.

There are any number of test prep books and sources out there that will give kids practice in the same *type* of questions used, but not the specifics. Yes, I believe teachers are teaching to the standards, not the specific questions.

Edited by KarenNC

I'm not sure what others do, but I look at the test before hand just to see what's on it. I don't then change my lesson plans, but want a heads up so that when the scores come in it's usually not a surprise. I really don't hold a lot of stock in the tests, I only give it because the state requires me to. That's also why I use the Cat survey from Seton, it's short and sweet and fulfills the state requirement without causing me undo stress.

If everyone else is jumping off a bridge.........

Aside from the fact that I think most of us aspire to something better than "what public school teachers do,";) it doesn't matter who does it or how many people do it, teaching to the specific questions of a test invalidates that test for those students. If enough people do it, it invalidates the test for everyone because then your kids are being compared to kids who were taught the specific questions, an unfair advantage. IMO, it is also unethical, basically cheating on behalf of one's children, because it robs them of the option to show their actual achievement. It gives a negative image of the integrity of homeschooling, which could lead to requirements that only tests administered by a third party are acceptable because those are the only results that can be expected to be honest, and reinforces the stereotype that parents can't be trusted with the education of their children, only professionals can.

There are any number of test prep books and sources out there that will give kids practice in the same *type* of questions used, but not the specifics. Yes, I believe teachers are teaching to the standards, not the specific questions.

Just to clarify- when I said it's 'okay' for HSing parents to do it if PS teachers are, I didn't mean I thought it was ethical- I don't. I agree with everything you wrote here.

I was just wondering if it was legal, or allowed by the states, because based on what I've heard from these HSing parents in question (who did look at the test questions and change their teaching if need be), it *is* allowed, for both PS teachers and HS parents. My gut says they are wrong, but I can't find any proof of that.

I think you assumed correctly that they simply know the nature of the testing style of those exams and are well versed in how the subjects are tested and know what will be covered on them (common core, etc.), but I highly doubt it's legal for ps teachers to have the TEST itself and teach kids from it in days/weeks before it. If they do, then surely its wrong(and illegal) and if HS'd parents do it then it's just as shameful and wrong.

IMO there's nothing wrong with looking over PAST tests to see the general NATURE and overall set-up of the exam is like in order to be able to prepare your child for that TYPE of testing style. If I'm curious how my kid is doing in a subject compared to same-age kids in public school and if I want to pay the money and have him tested, then the results will be useless to me if I don't prepare him for the testing set-up. One would be foolish to have a kid sit for standardized test and have NO concept of the NATURE of what TYPE of material is on there and yet expect the results to reflect (solely) the kids grasp of the subject matter tested. And that's the POINT of the standardized tests -- to check your kids grasp of the subject matter, thus it's GOOD to rule out the testing issues as contributing to missed answers. If my kids had never been TIMED or has never filled in a bubble next to an A B C or D, then THIS ALONE will be new and distracting and will require thought time and effort that I'd rather him devote to thinking about solving the problem itself. To echo one last time to be 100% clear: IMHO getting a copy of past exams (not of the actual test to be given) to see the nature of the exam itself is perfectly benign and can be handled by moral folks in a perfectly judicious and fair way.

My gut says they are wrong, but I can't find any proof of that.

With the PASS, you have a four-week window between the time you receive the test and the time you must submit it for scoring. That would (theoretically) limit how much you could change your lessons to "teach to the test." Also, you are required to submit a signed statement indicating that you have destroyed all testing materials after administering the test. This prevents the tests being distributed to anyone who wants to peruse them to see the content.

With the CAT, you are required to return the actual test booklets with the completed score sheets. This is to reduce costs for the testing company, but it also keeps the test booklets from being misused.

All of which is to say ... if there are homeschooling parents who are teaching their kids based on having looked at actual copies of the test, that is not the way the tests were intended to be used. The steps that the testing companies use to limit the actual distribution of the tests seems to me to be the proof you're looking for.

Edited by Maverick_Mom

It's different in every state. Back in California when I taught elementary school, it was called the STAR test, but now it's something different. In Washington it's called the WASL. Typically students take the test in spring, around May. The tests usually last about 2 hours a day, for a whole week, depending on age.

For public schools, it's a really big deal because $ is tied to scores. It's really a bad situation for everyone.

I taught at an inner city school in CA where all of my students were English Language Learners and 100% of them were on free and reduced lunch. I had kids enter my classroom directly from Mexico a week before the STAR test, and yet their scores counted against my "total" score as a teacher. That's why the issue of salary being tied to teacher performance as measured by test scores is really scary. I'm all for a pay for performance model, but that's a whole big can of worms.

With the nationally normed tests a school is expected to follow test security standards so that teachers do not have access to the question booklets until it is time to administer the test, and the teachers are not supposed to even look at the test booklets while the students are taking the test. All the test booklets are supposed to be turned back in and accounted for at the end of a session of testing. They are not allowed to be kept or to be reproduced.

Just to clarify- when I said it's 'okay' for HSing parents to do it if PS teachers are, I didn't mean I thought it was ethical- I don't. I agree with everything you wrote here.

I was just wondering if it was legal, or allowed by the states, because based on what I've heard from these HSing parents in question (who did look at the test questions and change their teaching if need be), it *is* allowed, for both PS teachers and HS parents. My gut says they are wrong, but I can't find any proof of that.

My MIL is a retired schoolteacher and she told me that the teachers who proctor the exams aren't supposed to look at the tests either before or after students take them.

The schools *DO*, however, make very heavy use of the released test questions from previous years. They know the general type of questions so that's what folks mean when talking about "teaching to the test". The tests don't change all that much from year to year.

There is a test that is given to students all across the country, though not to every student. National Assessment of Educational Progress.

It doesn't compare specific students or schools, but can compare large districts, states and certain demographics. When you hear mentions of a state standard based test being easier or harder, it is often because the average scores on the state tests have been compared to the average sample returned on NAEP.

In other words, HI might have an average of 50% on their state test but an average of 60% on the NAEP, while AK had an average of 80% on their state test (which is different than HI's state test) but an average of 45% on the NAEP.

Another test that is widely taken is the Terra Nova. I think I would categorize it as a standardized test like ITBS or SAT or CAT. It is not based on the learning objectives of a particular state.

In Texas, they take the TAKS test every year. That is only for public school students though. Private school and hs students don't take the TAKS.

I do the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) every year for a group of kids from 3rd grade up through 8th grade. It gives them practice with taking a timed, standardized test in a group. Even though the kids are often nervous about the test, they always enjoy the actual experience and look forward to it every year.

When I was a kid, Texas schools all used the ITBS.

There is a test that is given to students all across the country, though not to every student. National Assessment of Educational Progress.

It doesn't compare specific students or schools, but can compare large districts, states and certain demographics. When you hear mentions of a state standard based test being easier or harder, it is often because the average scores on the state tests have been compared to the average sample returned on NAEP.

In other words, HI might have an average of 50% on their state test but an average of 60% on the NAEP, while AK had an average of 80% on their state test (which is different than HI's state test) but an average of 45% on the NAEP.

Another test that is widely taken is the Terra Nova. I think I would categorize it as a standardized test like ITBS or SAT or CAT. It is not based on the learning objectives of a particular state.

The NAEP does help for comparing states from what I understand. It is not given to every student though. IMO I do wish that it was given to all in the sense that state tests vary. Some states set the bar pretty low:(

There is no one standardized test that students all over the country take. The Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) and California Achievement Test (CAT) and Stanford Achievement Test (Stanford, occasionally called SAT, not to be confused with the college entrance test with those initials) are all normed to be given to students throughout the country. All of these are designed to be administered once a year, usually in the spring.

The federal government also chooses a few schools throughout the country to test in 4th and 8th grade to give an idea how national education is going. That test is only available in public schools. I think it is called the NAEP or something similar.

Most states also develop their own yearly tests, also given at the end of the school year. These tests are designed to line up exactly with that state's public school curriculum, and are usually also only available to public school students. Since they are aligned so closely with the state curriculum, they probably wouldn't be that useful to homeschool or private school students, anyway, unless the private school or homeschool chose to follow the state curriculum. Each state names its own test. NC calls them EOG's (for End of Grade tests) in the lower grades, and EOCs (End of Course tests) in the upper grades.

Most institutional schools and some homeschools also give tests at the end of each term (whether 9 weeks or 6 weeks or 12 weeks or 18 weeks). These are usually either designed by the teacher or by the publisher of the textbook/other curriculum package, and are not standardized. These tests aren't much different than end of chapter tests or weekly spelling tests.

As another poster said, previous test questions are released.

:iagree:If you plan on testing, a child may be more confident going into the test if he knows what it will sort-of-kind-of look like. If a child has never seen a bubble sheet, been timed, or has no idea what the test questions may look like, it may intimidate him. Instead of teaching the answers to the specific questions (this would be bad), teaching what the test will generally look like, may be generally helpful as far as boosting the confidence of some children.

It is nice to know things like that in 5th grade most standardized tests cover US History in the social studies section. I don't attempt to replicate the social studies or science scope and sequence that is covered in the public schools. Some years my older two children may have had higher standardized test scores if I had chosen to cover the topics that were going to be on the test. However, I felt pretty strongly that in these survey subjects the topics we studied were no less valuable than the topics covered in the ps.

HTH-

Mandy

I understood that you agreed it wasn't ethical--hope I worded it well enough to show that:). It sounds like they are basing their behavior on hearsay. They are wrong and, hopefully, simply misinformed about what "everybody" is doing if they mean they are using specific information from the test to teach. I have certainly looked at standards or test prep materials to say, "oops, we might need to go over decimals again before the test gets here," but I do not open the test booklet itself until test time to be sure I maintain the security I agreed to when I ordered it. My minor was in psych, so test security (and strictly following administration procedures) to maintain validity of results was drilled into us. It really sets my teeth on edge when homeschoolers act as if it isn't a big deal (not that you have).

From a supplier of tests for homeschoolers, Bayside Education: http://www.baysideschoolservices.com/qa.html

Can I use the tests to make sure my child is prepared?

No! CTB McGraw-Hill, the test publisher, specifically excludes using tests for practice or preparation. See the agreement and test instructions. We have Guidebooks to help you be sure you've covered it all!

and http://www.baysideschoolservices.com/order.html

Orders May Be Revised, No Cancellations or Refunds, and Must Include This Signed Statement:

"I agree to take care of the tests as directed. I will administer them according to the provided instructions. I will return all materials within the specified time limit."

Here's what the publisher says about use of the ITBS: http://www.education.uiowa.edu/itp/itbs/itbs_use_prep.aspx

Here's a section from NC schools on test security for all testing (google "maintaining test security Iowa Test of Basic Skills" to get similar results from all over the country about various tests) http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/accountability/testing/TestingSecurity.pdf:

Test Security

State Board of Education policy specifies that secure tests, including all test materials and test questions, are not to be reproduced in any manner. School personnel and proctors are not to disclose the contents of secure tests by discussing specific test questions or information contained within the tests with each other or with students. In addition, excerpts from the tests must not be used at any time during classroom instruction or in resource materials such as study guides...

Secure state tests, including all field tests, shall not be copied, filed, or used directly in instructional activities. No person may copy, reproduce, or paraphrase in any manner or for any reason the test materials without the prior written consent of the test publisher. Copying, reproducing, or paraphrasing test materials represents a breach of test security and is a violation of federal copyright laws, North Carolina Administrative Code, State Board of Education policy, and the North Carolina Testing Code of Ethics...

and the Testing Code of Ethics from the same document:

Testing Code of Ethics ... In addition, the importance of maintaining test security at all times must be stressed. Ethical practices ensure validity of the test results.In order to ensure test security, discussing information related to the content of specific test items or test forms is prohibited and a direct violation of the Testing Code of Ethics. This includes teachers who serve on item or test review committees and teachers, who as test administrators, review items on field tests. It is not permissible to discuss items with anyone, including professional colleagues, parents, and/or students. In abiding by this guideline educators ensure that the integrity of the tests is maintained, which helps minimize the cost of resources used when test security has been compromised..... The sanctions for violations are included in the Testing Code of Ethics and are applicable to the administration of all secure state-mandated tests and all field tests.

Edited by KarenNC