Menu

piano people - seeking challenging, showy, fun piece?

Looking for something fun and showy for ds to work on over the summer. He is a classically trained pianist, but we like to keep some fun stuff in the mix. A couple of fun, showy tunes he has played in the past are Jack Fina's "Bumble Boogie," and Calvin Jones's "White Water Chopsticks."

Anybody have some comparable suggestions?

TIA

I have no suggestions for you, but I'm incredibly impressed with the son you describe.

We have only been doing a few months of piano lessons. I hope my daughter keeps it up.

Could you just take him to a music store and let him browse a bit?

Sabre Dance is great for that and not too hard.

I played it in high school and wasn't classically trained.

Should be right up his alley.

Challenging and fun.

To hear the song (not the piano music), but you'll know what I'm talking about. (I have the music if you end up wanting it I'll give it to you or I can scan a smidge so you can see if its not-hard-enough or too-hard)

Challenging and fun.

To hear the song (not the piano music), but you'll know what I'm talking about. (I have the music if you end up wanting it I'll give it to you or I can scan a smidge so you can see if its not-hard-enough or too-hard)

I will look again. It seemed like it was a bit repetitive???

I don't know what genre you're thinking of, but if he's open to a Romantic piece, you don't get more challenging or showy than Liszt's Mephisto Waltz I. My son selected that to work on last summer and loved it. Quite a showstopper, too.

I should have said he would prefer something that is NOT of the classical genre but requires classical technique. Does that make sense??? Probably not! :D A BIG arrangement of something that everyone knows. He really likes the boogie woogie type thing, too. As well as rag. But, not straight Joplin, though he has done some of that. I think what he wants is something that isn't predictable, kwim??? Something folks know but arranged in a fun way. I wish I could find sheet music for some of Liberace's arrangements! That "Carmen's Boogie" is awesome!

Thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming! I will check out Sabre Dance and have him look back through that Applause Book 2. He has not played everything in there. We just like to get away from the pure classical in the summer.

ETA: Stuff like Dino! LOL!

Edited by Hoggirl

Challenging and fun.

I hear it at least 10 times a week during hockey season. :lol:

I agree! My son's piano teacher has him set to learn three versions of this for summer. He will start with an easier arrangement and then move up to the original.

He also recently played another pretty, jazzy piece that was also challenging. The theme song for the Peanuts: Linus and Lucy, by Guaraldi.

http://www.jamiecullum.com/music

Very challenging. My dd plays most of this album and loves working on his music. She is primarily a guitarist so this is her secondary interest. I could listen to Cullum all day.

Thanks. What is the album title? I followed the link, but I am confused. Sorry! Techno-idiot. Is it solo piano stuff or singing with the piano stuff?

Always looking for something new!

I am :blushing: as I ask this: What does it mean to be classically trained?

My DD takes piano lessons (all 3 kids did at one time but the boys moved on to other instruments) but I am not sure what you mean by classically trained.

I have virtually no background in music. I actually wonder what "level" my DD can play at. How can I tell?

I am :blushing: as I ask this: What does it mean to be classically trained?

My DD takes piano lessons (all 3 kids did at one time but the boys moved on to other instruments) but I am not sure what you mean by classically trained.

I have virtually no background in music. I actually wonder what "level" my DD can play at. How can I tell?

Classically trained means that the student generally learns to play classical music with his/her teacher: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Vivaldi, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Handel...

Does your dd's teacher use a specific book series? Usually those kinds of books are leveled. I don't know much about piano levels, but strings have several organizations with levels/exams that list skills for the exams and suggestions for pieces at that level.

Why not ask your dd's teacher about it?

I have a degree in piano performance, and this would be my personal choice.

Earl Wild's 7 Virtuoso Etudes on Gershwin Songs, including "The man I love", "Embraceable you", "I got Rhthym". Makes my fingers itch... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtDSpI_KVs&feature=related

If he has a duet partner with chops, The William Tell overture arranged by Gottschalk is SO MUCH FUN.

I have a degree in piano performance, and this would be my personal choice.

Earl Wild's 7 Virtuoso Etudes on Gershwin Songs, including "The man I love", "Embraceable you", "I got Rhthym". Makes my fingers itch... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhtDSpI_KVs&feature=related

If he has a duet partner with chops, The William Tell overture arranged by Gottschalk is SO MUCH FUN.

Oh, my! These are super! Any idea where I can locate the Etudes? I looked at SheetMusicPlus, but perhaps I should have searched differently??? ETA: Found them at the Earl Wild website. Fifteen bucks a pop! If I could pick two, which two should I pick? I was thinking "Embraceable You" and "Fascintating Rhythm."

Edited by Hoggirl

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3174840/wildgershwin-seven-virtuoso-etudes

I haven't really investigated how this works. From a quick glance, it seems I could download whatever I wanted for 9 dollars a month? Is anything going to the composer? Because it looks like these are still under copyright. (And I'm not sure about the print quality.)

And while we're on the topic:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Composers

Lots of scanned and uploaded music that is out of copyright.

Tough call on the scribd.com. I looked at it further and seems to be a place to upload personal documents, not a place like google books, where copywrite expired books are made public. Personally, I would pass, and buy a copy. But the other site posted looks great! Thanks! I wanted to add that gmajormusictheory.org has a nice collection of popular classical student pieces beginning through advanced. Look under free music.

Looking for something fun and showy for ds to work on over the summer. He is a classically trained pianist, but we like to keep some fun stuff in the mix. A couple of fun, showy tunes he has played in the past are Jack Fina's "Bumble Boogie," and Calvin Jones's "White Water Chopsticks."

Anybody have some comparable suggestions?

TIA

I'm not familiar with those pieces that you mentioned, but have read other suggestions in this thread -- what would you think of "Golliwogg's Cake Walk" by Claude Debussy? It is very fun and showy, with a lot of great dynamics!

Edited by AmeliaBinMO

http://www.ipallister.webspace.virginmedia.com/

This guy has put up transcriptions of a number of jazz pieces, including that version of Puttin on the Ritz. However, I'm not sure of the copyright implications of these.

I couldn't find the transcription that the original artist says he put up (if that was him...) Did anyone find that one?

I went to his channel and found 3 transcriptions, but not the one for "Puttin' on the Ritz."

I will check that link you provided. Thank you!

Malaguena, by Ernesto Lecuona. It's challenging, but also has a lot of repetition so it sounds much harder than it really is. It's flamboyant and a whole lot of fun to play.

Edited by Gooblink
Misspelling

Malaguena, by Ernesto Lecuona. It's challenging, but also has a lot of repetition so it sounds much harder than it really is. It's flamboyant and a whole lot of fun to play.

I ordered this one, too!

Thanks for the suggestion!

The knowledge base on these boards absolutely amazes me.

Classically trained means that the student generally learns to play classical music with his/her teacher: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Vivaldi, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Handel...

Does your dd's teacher use a specific book series? Usually those kinds of books are leveled. I don't know much about piano levels, but strings have several organizations with levels/exams that list skills for the exams and suggestions for pieces at that level.

Why not ask your dd's teacher about it?

Thanks! It was nice of you to answer.

This syllabus might be useful for figuring out what level a student is at:

http://theachievementprogram.org/sites/default/files/files/PianoSyllabus_online.pdf

Just search for whatever they're working on now.

Thank you!

The only classical piece DD has worked on is Fur Elise. She actually started it last year(?) at the end of June but never finished it. The funny thing is, I guess DD pulled it out and asked to finish it during her most recent lesson. (I couldn't be at this lesson).

DD mostly has done popular music. Her biggest "piece" lately has been a medley of Grease songs.