Menu

Scout Parents- My son was injured on an outing last nigh

Let me preface this by saying I am not mad at anyone but I am very disappointed not only in the behavior of my Eagle Scout who is now an adult in the troop but I am also disappointed in the behavior of the Scoutmaster and the other adults present.

The Troop left on a hike yesterday morning. The hike was in a National Park and obviously Leave No Trace was in place. The plan was to hike up the to one lake yesterday, make camp last night, get up in the morning and hike to the top of the trail (a second lake) today, and then hike all the way down and return home today. There were 7 Scouts and 3 adults (including my 19 yo son) on the hike.

OK, so they got to the camp area, made camp, and hung out for a while. Then they decided to make a campfire. They had not brought in fireword and cutting or scrounging for your own firewood is not allowed in this Park. However, DS and the Scoutmaster decided to go find something to burn. The found a large wet piece of wood and decided to chip away at it with dull little short-armed hatchets. Long story made short, because of using the wrong tool for the wrong job in the wrong way, DS hit himself in the shin with the hatchet.

No one had a first aid kit. The decision was made to come out of the woods. So they hiked down. DS apparently decided to trudge ahead of the group (as is often his way) and arrived at the parking area 45 mins before anyone else came down. He caught a ride home with the Scoutmaster who drove right by an ER instead of stopping for help.

When DS arrived home, DH (who is EMT-trained) cleaned up the wound to get a good look at it and then took him to the ER for 15 stitches, a tetanus shot, and antibiotics (as this is the same child who had a tunneling staph infection last summer)

OK, so why am I disappointed in their behavior: 1) DS is an Eagle Scout in addition to being an adult leader in the troop and did not follow Leave No Trace, proper ax handling, the buddy system, or basic first aid procedures. 2) The Scoutmaster took part in the dangerous activity alongside DS and broke the same rules as DS. 3) The Troop as a whole was not following the basic rules as a result of the actions of the adult leadership. 4) Not only did they not follow basic safety and first aid protocol, but they drove him past an ER on their way to our house!

We plan to call the Scoutmaster to discuss the situation. I am just frustrated and disappointed with their actions across the board. If they had simply followed the rules, this situation would have never occurred. They (all of the adults including DS) should know better!

1-- report this situation IMMEDIATELY to the council. This could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. And NO troop I know would have handled it anything like this-- this is SERIOUS.

2-- CHANGE TROOPS! Too many BIG mistakes here to let it slide. I'm serious-- As a mom of 3 kids in two different troops, Our troops have a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of mistakes.

Unless it was a dire situation/MAJOR life threatening crisis that no other options were possible, this is unacceptable.

Ok, I read it again, and I'm adding something.

I understand now that he's 19 and an adult leader... Ok, first I thought this was about a younger sibling and the 19 year old was just there...

He's 19. Im guessing he was trying to "man up" and probably play down the extent of his injuries. And it's possible HE down played it enough that the scoutmaster didn't realize the need to stop? That was hubby's guess-- also a scout leader at one of our troops.

I still stick with the advice above, but I'd also consider the possibility that your son downplayed the seriousness of his injury. At 19 the other adults are going to trust him to let them know if he was truly hurt, or if it's just a mild injury... (but our troops EVERYONE has a small first aid kit-- no exceptions-- PLUS they have a medical person with a huge first aid kit on every campout.)

Edited by joyfulheart

When DS was still a youth in the Troop, DH (as an Adult leader) went along on the outings and made sure the rules were followed. Now DS is an ADULT LEADER in this Troop so we can't really force him to change Troops. I see DS having as much fault in this situation as any other adult. Not only is he an adult in the troop but he is an Eagle Scout AND an employee of the BSA. (He runs four afterschool units through the Boys and Girls Clubs.) I hesitate to report the situation only because DS could lose his job.

Considering that your son is an adult, should you really be getting involved unless he asks for your involvement? I know that I wouldn't have wanted my mother getting involved in my adult-life extra-curricular activities…..Just a thought.

I agree to an extent but since these adults are presumably in charge of scouts as young as 12 years-old (maybe not on this hike, but theoretically elsewhere) I would probably get involved for the sake of the younger boys and possibly report to council. The son would definitely get a stern talking to.

Considering that your son is an adult, should you really be getting involved unless he asks for your involvement? I know that I wouldn't have wanted my mother getting involved in my adult-life extra-curricular activities…..Just a thought.

Well, he's an "adult" in verbage only... He's still in high school and lives at home... and we are the ones paying the ER bill... So, yeah, I feel like we can still be involved in this situation.

Furthermore, both DH and I are trained Scout Leaders (Cub, Boy Scouts, and Venture) as well as being on several District and Council Committees (including the District Training Committee) so our obligations to the BSA go beyond just that of parents of an adult leader in the troop, kwim?

Honestly, if I were a parent of one of the seven boys who came home at midnight a day early because one of the adult leaders got hurt in the manner that DS did, I would be pulling my child from that particular troop.

When DS was still a youth in the Troop, DH (as an Adult leader) went along on the outings and made sure the rules were followed. Now DS is an ADULT LEADER in this Troop so we can't really force him to change Troops. I see DS having as much fault in this situation as any other adult. Not only is he an adult in the troop but he is an Eagle Scout AND an employee of the BSA. (He runs four afterschool units through the Boys and Girls Clubs.) I hesitate to report the situation only because DS could lose his job.

I'll out myself as a Pathfinder leader here (next step after Girl Guides in Canada).

I'd sit down with my son and have a long talk about how HE should report it. If he didn't, I would.

Honestly, that's harsh but he and others were, are and will be responsible for other people's children. That kind of negligence (NO first aid kits on an isolated hike??) needs to be outed and addressed or it won't be the last time rules are ignored and someone's kid is injured as a result.

It might be a tough life lesson for all involved (your son especially) but there's a huge responsibility you take on when you're placed in a position of trust and care over other people's children.

Well, he's an "adult" in verbage only... He's still in high school and lives at home... and we are the ones paying the ER bill... So, yeah, I feel like we can still be involved in this situation.

Furthermore, both DH and I are trained Scout Leaders (Cub, Boy Scouts, and Venture) as well as being on several District and Council Committees (including the District Training Committee) so our obligations to the BSA go beyond just that of parents of an adult leader in the troop, kwim?

Honestly, if I were a parent of one of the seven boys who came home at midnight a day early because one of the adult leaders got hurt in the manner that DS did, I would be pulling my child from that particular troop.

I agree. And sadly sometimes people have to lose job to get a reality check. Stinks, but there it is all the same. The council should still be informed because I'm betting that is actually proper procedure. I would think there is paperwork that should be filled out reporting an accident for liability reasons. Not doing so could be just as likely to get people in trouble. Maybe more so even.

I am sorry your son hurt himself. Hopefully he has learned an important lesson from this about being more careful with tools. 19yo tend to think they are invincible until they find out otherwise. Scouting has alot of rules in place to help keep the scouts safe. Sounds like they followed all of those. But adults still have the ability to be idiots.

My scoutmaster DH can't think of any reason why the council would need to be notified, though your son can always call them and ask. And it should be your SON who does the calling, not you.

Dh thinks your best course of action here is a well-timed lecture for your DS19 about the importance of setting a good example and of safety. But you have probably already done that. :D DH would also be lecturing the other adult involved as well - but he is the scoutmaster for the troop and can get away with that sort of thing....

You're involved in scouts enough to know that the scouting insurance will cover any fees above what insurance covers.

And they SHOULD be reported to council for 1--making a claim on their medical, and 2-- their safety issues... -- mainly the lack of medical equipment and failing to follow BSA procedure when there is an injury.

I am sorry your son hurt himself. Hopefully he has learned an important lesson from this about being more careful with tools. 19yo tend to think they are invincible until they find out otherwise. Scouting has alot of rules in place to help keep the scouts safe. Sounds like they followed all of those. But adults still have the ability to be idiots.

My scoutmaster DH can't think of any reason why the council would need to be notified, though your son can always call them and ask. And it should be your SON who does the calling, not you.

Dh thinks your best course of action here is a well-timed lecture for your DS19 about the importance of setting a good example and of safety. But you have probably already done that. :D DH would also be lecturing the other adult involved as well - but he is the scoutmaster for the troop and can get away with that sort of thing....

That's just it though.... They didn't follow the rules. If they had followed the Leave No Trace rules (as well as the rules of the park), they wouldn't have been chopping firewood in the first place... If they had followed safe ax handling procedures, they wouldn't have use the wrong tool and wrong technique for the task. If they had packed the 10 essentials, they would have had a first aid kit. If they had followed safe hiking rules, DS wouldn't have been 45 minutes ahead of the rest the troop coming off the hill. I am just in a state of disbelief that there were 3 adults (all trained) who completely disregarded the rules and did so in front of 7 young (12-15 yo on this hike) scouts.

DS has received his safety lecture (while waiting to be stitched up at the ER) and my DH plans to call the Scoutmaster (who is also his friend) to discuss the situation later today.

You're involved in scouts enough to know that the scouting insurance will cover any fees above what insurance covers.

And they SHOULD be reported to council for 1--making a claim on their medical, and 2-- their safety issues... -- mainly the lack of medical equipment and failing to follow BSA procedure when there is an injury.

True, very true. Thank you!

That's just it though.... They didn't follow the rules. If they had followed the Leave No Trace rules (as well as the rules of the park), they wouldn't have been chopping firewood in the first place... If they had followed safe ax handling procedures, they wouldn't have use the wrong tool and wrong technique for the task. If they had packed the 10 essentials, they would have had a first aid kit. If they had followed safe hiking rules, DS wouldn't have been 45 minutes ahead of the rest the troop coming off the hill. I am just in a state of disbelief that there were 3 adults (all trained) who completely disregarded the rules and did so in front of 7 young (12-15 yo on this hike) scouts.

DS has received his safety lecture (while waiting to be stitched up at the ER) and my DH plans to call the Scoutmaster (who is also his friend) to discuss the situation later today.

Bottom line is they did everything to create a situation where your son or someone else's COULD have ended up dead or seriously maimed. It was stupid (which I understand happens to us all;) ) and the counsil should be informed. I don't think it was all your son's fault at all. He is 19. An adult, yes. But an inexperienced adult to be sure. ONE of the reasons for the two deep adult rule is that, in theory, when one of them are having a brain fart there is someone else there with a clearer head.:D

I'm more disturbed by the lack of first aid kit and first aid practices than anything else. There is absolutely no excuse for that. I don't care what your son said to downplay it. First rule of first aid is to assess the injury. An injury can be very, very serious and the person injured might not even feel much pain. ( due to adrenaline, shock, or whatever )

Sounds like a pack of guys in the woods, sans beer.

:)

19. At age 19 hubby (while sober) managed to shoot himself through the lower leg and to ride a motorcycles into a chain at night, cutting his neck wide open. Not on the same day, however.

Sorry it happened and glad it was just stitches.

Sounds like a pack of guys in the woods, sans beer.

:)

was to train young men to rise above the "pack of guys in the woods" mentality. If they are going to do dumb stuff, not be prepared, break the rules, use tools in a foolhardy manner, and handle injuries badly ..... gosh .... my boys can do all of that with no boy scout training at all!

I actually think that once the wound is healed and the situation is sorted out a little and emotions calm, the adults on this trip need to come clean with the kids (and their parents) who were on this trip. It's a great teaching opportunity to acknowledge the things that happened that should not have happened and discuss what went wrong. Thank God no one was badly hurt, and maybe in the end it will be an example that can prevent something worse.

was to train young men to rise above the "pack of guys in the woods" mentality. If they are going to do dumb stuff, not be prepared, break the rules, use tools in a foolhardy manner, and handle injuries badly ..... gosh .... my boys can do all of that with no boy scout training at all!

Uh, yes. That was my point. Possibly the OPs as well. :D

Wow. Major errors all around. When I was in scouting, first aid and safety took first priority. What were they thinking? I'm sorry your son got hurt, but thankfully it wasn't one of the younger scouts in their charge. Hopefully this was a wake up call and they'll go back to scouting basics when planning an outing.

Mom of three scouts and a scout leader here.

I think talking to the other adults on the outing would be my priority. It sounds like unwise choices were made. But it also sounds like you may not have gotten all of the story yet (son was injured enough to need to come home early, but he didn't stay with a buddy on the hike down).

The scoutmaster might have been unwilling to assume that an ER visit was necessary without consulting you in person. Did he come in and tell you that your son was hurt or did he just drop him off and leave?

Not all adult leaders are experienced or clear thinkers. But I've also learned that my sons aren't always as good at making wise choices as I wish they were.

1-- report this situation IMMEDIATELY to the council. This could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. And NO troop I know would have handled it anything like this-- this is SERIOUS.

2-- CHANGE TROOPS! Too many BIG mistakes here to let it slide. I'm serious-- As a mom of 3 kids in two different troops, Our troops have a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of mistakes.

Unless it was a dire situation/MAJOR life threatening crisis that no other options were possible, this is unacceptable.

Ok, I read it again, and I'm adding something.

I understand now that he's 19 and an adult leader... Ok, first I thought this was about a younger sibling and the 19 year old was just there...

He's 19. Im guessing he was trying to "man up" and probably play down the extent of his injuries. And it's possible HE down played it enough that the scoutmaster didn't realize the need to stop? That was hubby's guess-- also a scout leader at one of our troops.

I still stick with the advice above, but I'd also consider the possibility that your son downplayed the seriousness of his injury. At 19 the other adults are going to trust him to let them know if he was truly hurt, or if it's just a mild injury... (but our troops EVERYONE has a small first aid kit-- no exceptions-- PLUS they have a medical person with a huge first aid kit on every campout.)

I agree with every single thing said here EXCEPT letting the scoutmaster off for "trusting him to let them know" the severity of the injury.

In administering first aid you don't totally take the word of the injured person. Injured persons often don't "get" how badly they're hurt.

A scoutmaster should totally know that.

This whole situation is really awful.

Alley

I know it was OPs. I sort of thought you were saying "oh, this is the kind of dumb stuff guys do." Which actually, with three sons, I have to say is sort of true, lol. And I do the same kind of dumb stuff, but no one would call me a boy scout. Anyway, I wasn't meaning to be .... challenging!

Sorry to hear about DS's injury! Hope he heals up well, and quick.

What a puzzling story for scouting! first of all, WET wood? Mmmph. What was the plan for fire originally, if they weren't bringing wood with them?

Letting the injured person go on ahead? Wow. There are so many things wrong with this picture. I'm not even remotely a scout, and I carry a first aid kit in my car, and any random outing. Not a huge one, but still. Neosporin is always available! And bandages. You never know when you're going to stab yourself with a nail file at church!

Isn't safety a main scouting thing?

Sorry for the whole ordeal. I hope at least your son gets a major safety lesson out of it, for all the trouble.

I actually think that once the wound is healed and the situation is sorted out a little and emotions calm, the adults on this trip need to come clean with the kids (and their parents) who were on this trip. It's a great teaching opportunity to acknowledge the things that happened that should not have happened and discuss what went wrong. Thank God no one was badly hurt, and maybe in the end it will be an example that can prevent something worse.

Yes, that is why I am so disappointed and frustrated with the leadership (including DS).

Wow. Major errors all around. When I was in scouting' date=' first aid and safety took first priority. What were they thinking? I'm sorry your son got hurt, but thankfully it wasn't one of the younger scouts in their charge. Hopefully this was a wake up call and they'll go back to scouting basics when planning an outing.[/quote']

I certainly hope so. They didn't even have a first aid kit among them. Why were the packing lists and bags not checked to see if they passed muster?

Mom of three scouts and a scout leader here.

I think talking to the other adults on the outing would be my priority. It sounds like unwise choices were made. But it also sounds like you may not have gotten all of the story yet (son was injured enough to need to come home early, but he didn't stay with a buddy on the hike down).

The scoutmaster might have been unwilling to assume that an ER visit was necessary without consulting you in person. Did he come in and tell you that your son was hurt or did he just drop him off and leave?

Not all adult leaders are experienced or clear thinkers. But I've also learned that my sons aren't always as good at making wise choices as I wish they were.

The scoutmaster gave him a ride to our house, dropped him off at the end of the driveway, and left. DS called him and talked with him today. He has been the scoutmaster for 3 years, hikes/backwoods camps all the time with his family, and works for the forestry service. Experience is not an issue. We spoke with him earlier today and he was very apologetic. We spoke about how lax their planning was and how poor their decisions were, all of which led to DS's injury. He has called the DE to report the incident so we expect to hear from the DE tomorrow.

I wouldn't do anything except an "I told you so." to ds. He's 19 and people screw up.

Unfortunately with scouting the problem is larger than just what happened to DS. If people don't follow the safety policies and procedures that are in place, someone can really get hurt. The adults (including DS) are responsible for teaching the young men in their charge and leading by example is of utmost importance.

Sorry to hear about DS's injury! Hope he heals up well, and quick.

What a puzzling story for scouting! first of all, WET wood? Mmmph. What was the plan for fire originally, if they weren't bringing wood with them?

Apparently they "forgot" to plan for a fire. In the past, the boys have each carried a few pieces of dry firewood in their packs (not only to ensure dry firewood but also because the Park has rules against cutting firewood) but this time it was overlooked at all levels.

Letting the injured person go on ahead? Wow. There are so many things wrong with this picture.

I know. Even if DS decided to push on ahead (which he should not have done), one of the other adults should have stopped him and made him stay with the group.

I'm not even remotely a scout, and I carry a first aid kit in my car, and any random outing. Not a huge one, but still. Neosporin is always available! And bandages. You never know when you're going to stab yourself with a nail file at church!

:iagree:

Isn't safety a main scouting thing?

Yes. Absolutely. First and foremost is safety.

Sorry for the whole ordeal. I hope at least your son gets a major safety lesson out of it, for all the trouble.

Mom of an Eagle Scout here.

Yep, the district would be getting a call pronto. Unless there have been other instances of poor judgement, this isn't a time for heads to roll. BUT, at a minimum, I would expect revisiting proper scouting practices for all adult leaders and a more intense review for the SM.

I'm astonished at the lack of proper equipment and first aid, letting an injured scout go off alone (although your son has some fault there, it seems), and not seeking immediate help at an ER. They certainly could have called you and asked your opinion for treatment.

Also, why did everyone leave? One adult could have accompanied your son for treatment or to return him home. A hike out at night with 12-15 yos would be flat dangerous.

Yes, I'd be calling to request a meeting with the district leader pronto. Yes, your son is 19, but you, as an adult, know of serious safety violations on this trip. IMHO, you have a duty to report it.

I hope that your son recovers very quickly and with no infection. This has been a painful "growing up" experience for him, I'm sure!

So reading this and thinking about the outings I've seen, I am wondering about the planning timeline for the outing. It seems like it outings often get planned on the fly or at the last minute. Adults can't commit to coming because of work demands. Scouts don't commit to attending until the last minute.

I've seen food purchased when a patrol showed up to the meeting point and realized that no one in the patrol planned for or bought food. I've seen events go from two scouts to ten attending at the meeting right before a campout (leaving little time to plan). I've seen campouts cancelled the day of the event because there just wasn't a second adult. In fact our first troop almost had to cancel summer camp because of lack of adults.

No one likes to point fingers and say that this or that person is messing up. But sometimes you do have to call a stand down and take another look at how you're doing things. Maybe the planning time line needs to be longer, even if that means telling some scouts they can't attend events because they didn't register in time. Or cancelling events because the planning wasn't done.

Also, why did everyone leave? One adult could have accompanied your son for treatment or to return him home. A hike out at night with 12-15 yos would be flat dangerous.

!

There were only 3 adults including DS. If one adult left to accompany DS out of the woods, that would have only left one adult behind with 7 scouts. They would not have had 2-deep leadership at that point.

So reading this and thinking about the outings I've seen, I am wondering about the planning timeline for the outing. It seems like it outings often get planned on the fly or at the last minute. Adults can't commit to coming because of work demands. Scouts don't commit to attending until the last minute.

I've seen food purchased when a patrol showed up to the meeting point and realized that no one in the patrol planned for or bought food. I've seen events go from two scouts to ten attending at the meeting right before a campout (leaving little time to plan). I've seen campouts cancelled the day of the event because there just wasn't a second adult. In fact our first troop almost had to cancel summer camp because of lack of adults.

No one likes to point fingers and say that this or that person is messing up. But sometimes you do have to call a stand down and take another look at how you're doing things. Maybe the planning time line needs to be longer, even if that means telling some scouts they can't attend events because they didn't register in time. Or cancelling events because the planning wasn't done.

I agree. This troop seems to plan on the fly a lot. They are always scrounging for adult leaders and it seems the roster and plans are always quite fluid. As I said before, when DS was still a youth DH would go to meetings and on outings to make sure that things were organized and planned to BSA (and our) standards. Now it seems that no one is really doing that anymore.

Haven't read all the replies, but as a mom of a scout, I am terrified to think this would happen to my guy!

That said, I think your first post laid out your concerns very clearly, and that's the list I'd use in discussing the issue. I don't think I'd go to the council with it until after I had gone to the leaders first, then to the Board of Directors of the organization that chartered your troop. They need to know what happened. The people on that board are generally good hearted, well intentioned volunteers who could stand to lose all they have if they are sued because of something like this (yes, anyone on such a board should have an umbrella liability policy, but many don't).

This was pure foolishness and your son needs to learn from his mistake. The adult leader, well, inexcusable actions in my book. If possible, I would strive to make this a situation that all can learn and grow from rather than something that tears down and defeats. However, if your troop is characterized by this type of incident/leadership, it might be time to move on.

I hope your son heals quickly and that no infection sets in. Keep us posted.

PS - I would be really, really mad... :glare:

Hey, I forgot to add... no first aid kit, WTH???? My scout started carrying his own mini first aid kit in his own backpack at Tenderfoot rank. What a terrible oversight.

Edited by AuntieM

I think you are correct in identifying several serious problems. . .

BUT, your son is an ADULT LEADER. I do not think this is any of your business. I think you should address your concerns ONLY with your son. I'd be more concerned about preserving/honoring your maturing relationship with your adult son than the troop issues.

(If your son were under 18 and a MEMBER of the troop, I'd be 100% with you going to leadership. . . But I think all is different now that your son is himself an adult leader.)

BUT, your son is an ADULT LEADER. I do not think this is any of your business. I think you should address your concerns ONLY with your son. I'd be more concerned about preserving/honoring your maturing relationship with your adult son than the troop issues.

(If your son were under 18 and a MEMBER of the troop, I'd be 100% with you going to leadership. . . But I think all is different now that your son is himself an adult leader.)

ITA.

A young adult is perfectly capable of taking responsibility for his own actions. Does he even want you to go to the Council on his behalf?

The adult leader is to blame for allowing activities that go against Scouting rules, but as a young adult, your ds is to blame for his own actions and the consequences. As the parent of a young adult, your role is different. A discussion with him about why things happened the way they did and how he wants to handle things is more appropriate than a complaint on his behalf. He's no longer a minor child in the *care* of the adult leader.

I'd want to make sure that your ds had a) shown the leader the extent of the injury, and b) expressed that he needed immediate medical attention before blaming the leader for driving past the ER. This is another situation in which your son is no longer a child, and could have advocated for himself.

:grouphug: I do understand why you're upset. I am sorry your son was injured, and it's especially awful that if Scouting rules had been followed it would likely not have happened.

Cat