Menu

While we are on the subject of Christian differences

Will a non-Catholic Christian explain the phrase, "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" to me?

I've heard it off and on over the years, and even once asked about it during one of the heated threads.

Do you think that this personal relationship with Jesus is necessary for your salvation?

How does one have a personal relationship with not only a deity, but the Savior of the world?

I"m asking because maybe it is one of those misconceptions - some people call is A when others call the exact same thing B.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that this personal relationship with Jesus is necessary for your salvation?

Yes.

How does one have a personal relationship with not only a deity, but the Savior of the world?

Really, I don't know how long this particular terminology has been used among non-Catholic Christians, but it seems to me it's fairly recently ("recently" being a relative word, considering how young the non-Catholic Christian church is). Generally, they (not all non-Catholic Christians use this specific phrase) mean that at one point in your life you realized you needed God and you made a specific decision to be saved. And when they're talking to Catholics, they assume that Catholics don't have a "personal relationship with Jesus" because the Catholics were baptized as infants and were confirmed as youngsters, as opposed to answering an altar call and making that conscious decision. It is what I used to believe.

I think it's a sort of hard thing to explain, to me, anyway. Jesus is as real to me, as personal and as personable, as my husband sitting next to me. He's not simply a deity, He's my Best Friend, in every since of the word. Our relationship is intimate. I talk to him in the same way I talk to my family.

At the same time, He is God. He is deserving of my worship, and I am full of awe and reverence for him. I believe He wants both our worship, our reverence, and our simple friendship. He wants us to love Him, as a Brother, as a Friend, and as a King. Not just as God.

Not sure if I'm making much sense, there, but I did my best. ;)

Yes.

Really, I don't know how long this particular terminology has been used among non-Catholic Christians, but it seems to me it's fairly recently ("recently" being a relative word, considering how young the non-Catholic Christian church is). Generally, they (not all non-Catholic Christians use this specific phrase) mean that at one point in your life you realized you needed God and you made a specific decision to be saved. And when they're talking to Catholics, they assume that Catholics don't have a "personal relationship with Jesus" because the Catholics were baptized as infants and were confirmed as youngsters, as opposed to answering an altar call and making that conscious decision. It is what I used to believe.

Yes, this.

It means what it says. I talk with Him throughout the day. I share my joys and fears and worries with Him. I ask Him for help. I thank Him for being so trustworthy and faithful. I apologize when I screw up. I take time to get to know Him better. And I love Him with all of my heart. What is that if it's not a personal relationship?

It means what it says. I talk with Him throughout the day. I share my joys and fears and worries with Him. I ask Him for help. I thank Him for being so trustworthy and faithful. I apologize when I screw up. I take time to get to know Him better. And I love Him with all of my heart. What is that if it's not a personal relationship?

:iagree:

Disclaimer before I "speak": I grew up Freewill Baptist and attended a Church of God university. I currently attend a Vineyard church because I like the pastor & my DC love the Sunday School. I'm not a member anywhere really, because I haven't found the right place yet. All of these Catholic threads have me SERIOUSLY considering attending a mass on Sunday morning.

Also... I could be thinking this all wrong anyway.

That said, I have always believed that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what happens when you regularly talk to & worship Jesus. Asking for forgiveness of sin (which is tantamount to salvation) is the beginning of that relationship.

As to whether there must be continuity of the relationship to "keep" your salvation... that's a whole other issue. You'll have the "once in grace, always in grace" folks, the people who believe you need to "rededicate your life" after you backslide (which I always interpreted as intentionally walking away from that relationship), and I'm sure there are many other takes on it as well.

ETA: Ellie & kchara phrased this better, I think.

Edited by KristinaBreece

for me having a personal relationship Jesus helps to keep me accountable/lead a christian lifestyle.

Thank you.

Yes.

This is essentially why I asked. I've had the "personal relationship" tossed at me before. I've always wondered why one would assume Catholics don't talk to Jesus.

I think it's a sort of hard thing to explain, to me, anyway. Jesus is as real to me, as personal and as personable, as my husband sitting next to me. He's not simply a deity, He's my Best Friend, in every since of the word. Our relationship is intimate. I talk to him in the same way I talk to my family.

At the same time, He is God. He is deserving of my worship, and I am full of awe and reverence for him. I believe He wants both our worship, our reverence, and our simple friendship. He wants us to love Him, as a Brother, as a Friend, and as a King. Not just as God.

Thank you.

i was going to reply, but you said it best - so:iagree:

All of these Catholic threads have me SERIOUSLY considering attending a mass on Sunday morning.

:thumbup:

If you decide to do a little Internet searching (or lurking, as the case may be) here are two sites that were very helpful to me:

Defenders of the Catholic Faith

The Coming Home Network

You might also see if there's a Relevant Radio affiliate in your area. That's what sucked me in. :D

I do too. I often find myself apologizing many times during a single day.

Disclaimer before I "speak": I grew up Freewill Baptist and attended a Church of God university. I currently attend a Vineyard church because I like the pastor & my DC love the Sunday School. I'm not a member anywhere really, because I haven't found the right place yet. All of these Catholic threads have me SERIOUSLY considering attending a mass on Sunday morning.

Also... I could be thinking this all wrong anyway.

That said, I have always believed that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what happens when you regularly talk to & worship Jesus. Asking for forgiveness of sin (which is tantamount to salvation) is the beginning of that relationship.

As to whether there must be continuity of the relationship to "keep" your salvation... that's a whole other issue. You'll have the "once in grace, always in grace" folks, the people who believe you need to "rededicate your life" after you backslide (which I always interpreted as intentionally walking away from that relationship), and I'm sure there are many other takes on it as well.

I hope you find yourself at Mass on Sunday morning. I wish I could take you.

The bolded sounds similar to what the Sacrament of Reconciliation does for one's soul.

In my non-Catholic understanding of what it commonly believed/perceived about the Catholic church, a personal relationship is one that doesn't require a priest to take our ''confession" and have the priest tell us what our penance is and then he tells us God has forgiven us. We talk to God for ourselves, and ask to be forgiven because of Christ's sacrifice, not because we showed we were sorry enough by an action. We don't feel the need to "pray" to dead saints in heaven for them to pray for us to God. We ask God directly. And what other posters have said, a daily awareness and familiarity, without losing the awe of holiness, and "relationship." Something you have to work on, just like you would have to work on a relationship with someone else. Getting to know Jesus, His words, the Bible, opening yourself to the direction of God through the Holy Spirit.

The word "personal" has many deep meanings. God is Trinity, in three persons. We are persons. (As distinct from "individuals," which is how the word is commonly used.) We relate therefore in a personal relationship. How this manifests itself is different among the traditions. The Orthodox relate to God in public prayer, private prayer, and through the Sacraments offered by the Church.

Thanks.

I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is semantics and misunderstanding. So far it seems to be the case.

In my non-Catholic understanding of what it commonly believed/perceived about the Catholic church, a personal relationship is one that doesn't require a priest to take our ''confession" and have the priest tell us what our penance is and then he tells us God has forgiven us. We talk to God for ourselves, and ask to be forgiven because of Christ's sacrifice, not because we showed we were sorry enough by an action. We don't feel the need to "pray" to dead saints in heaven for them to pray for us to God. We ask God directly. And what other posters have said, a daily awareness and familiarity, without losing the awe of holiness, and "relationship." Something you have to work on, just like you would have to work on a relationship with someone else. Getting to know Jesus, His words, the Bible, opening yourself to the direction of God through the Holy Spirit.

Okay. Would it surprise you to know that Catholics do not believe we need to go through a priest for everything? We often speak to God and Jesus and even the Holy Spirit.

And there aren't any dead saints in Heaven. ;)

The bolded is also important to Catholics.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Edited by Parrothead

Thanks.

I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is semantics and misunderstanding. So far it seems to be the case.

I would imagine. It's like math terminology. I may not know what (insert long complicated mathematical name here) means, but if you show me I'd probably know how to do it already.

I remember when ds was about 4, we played the game I love you to______ and back, you know from the book with the bunnies. Anyway he was sitting on the kitchen counter to look in my face, and we were saying I love you to the moon and back, I love you to the stars and back. I said I love you to Jesus and back. He let out a big sigh and said very defiantly well, that's not very far though.

I had a vision of Jesus just laughing beside us. I think He enjoyed that moment too. That's the personal relationship to me.

Will a non-Catholic Christian explain the phrase, "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" to me?

I've heard it off and on over the years, and even once asked about it during one of the heated threads.

I"m asking because maybe it is one of those misconceptions - some people call is A when others call the exact same thing B.

I think everyone has a different personal relationship with Jesus. I wouldn't define it.

I feel Jesus guides me everyday. I try to tell the truth, do the right thing (even if that isn't advantageous to me financially) and speak out for/help the poor and under priviledged. I donate my time. Telling the truth has bit me on the butt quite a lot but I am not very diplomatic. I somehow missed the "but in a nice way" bit. It gets me into trouble. :tongue_smilie:

I don't feel it is a part of salvation but all those little naughty things would make me squirm at Judgement day. (eek!)

Edited by Sis

I would imagine. It's like math terminology. I may not know what (insert long complicated mathematical name here) means, but if you show me I'd probably know how to do it already.

I remember when ds was about 4, we played the game I love you to______ and back, you know from the book with the bunnies. Anyway he was sitting on the kitchen counter to look in my face, and we were saying I love you to the moon and back, I love you to the stars and back. I said I love you to Jesus and back. He let out a big sigh and said very defiantly well, that's not very far though.

I had a vision of Jesus just laughing beside us. I think He enjoyed that moment too. That's the personal relationship to me.

How cute! I love stuff like that!

My aunt told her daughter, about 4 at the time, that Jesus is in her heart. She sat and thought for a long time in total silence. Then she said, "So then I am never alone." very seriously. Isn't that sweet?

Okay. Would it surprise you to know that Catholics do not believe we need to go through a priest for everything? We often speak to God and Jesus and even the Holy Spirit.

Okay, not "dead," whatever you want to call them. No-longer-on-earth-saints, dose that work? :001_smile:

I know Catholics do not believe that they have to go through a priest for everything. But to do it at all seems (to the outside observer) to be placing something between you and God, which is the opposite of "personal" imho in this context.

I betcha He did.

I think everyone has a different personal relationship with Jesus. I wouldn't define it.

That's cool. I can understand why.

My aunt told her daughter, about 4 at the time, that Jesus is in her heart. She sat and thought for a long time in total silence. Then she said, "So then I am never alone." very seriously. Isn't that sweet?

Awww:001_wub:

That's very cool!

So, do you have to confess to a priest? Or can you just confess to God?

Okay, not "dead," whatever you want to call them. No-longer-on-earth-saints, dose that work? :001_smile:

I know Catholics do not believe that they have to go through a priest for everything. But to do it at all seems (to the outside observer) to be placing something between you and God, which is the opposite of "personal" imho in this context.

:D Yeah, that works.

As for the "placing something between you and God," technically is isn't placing something between the people and God.

Without going into all the details and nuances in the confessional the priest stands for Jesus so we are talking directly to Jesus. It's complicated in a simple sort of way.

If you (or anyone else) wants to know the ins and outs along with the Bible references I'll be happy to explain.

I'm honestly not sure what it means to me yet. I tend not to talk in terms of a personal relationship because it brings up stuff like the Jesus Loves Me, This I Know song where, to me, it seems to be all about the singer, not much about Jesus and nothing at all about the community of believers. I know Jesus loves me but it seems at least as important that He loves us, that He came to save the world, not just me.

My personal hangup as I wrestle with the issue. :)

I have to say, these Catholic threads have been doing a job on me lately. I figure I may have to get me to a High Anglican service soon or else I might be asking some of my Catholic friends if I can go with them. :D Funny thing is I have a Baptist friend who's been trying to get me to attend her church for ages but she can't make me budge. So here a few Catholics discuss their church for a couple of days and I'm all starry eyed!

Well, you ask your friends to pray for you, yes? Sometimes, don't you ask one person to pray for you instead of another, because the one you ask has had a similar experience to yours, or she just seems somehow to understand better, or whatever? Well, that's what Catholics do. The Church has believed, from earliest times, that those who have gone before us, the "great cloud of witnesses" spoken of in the NT, are praying for us--not that they are dead, but that we know for sure they are in heaven *and* that they are praying for us. Catholics are not placing them between themselves and God; they are asking the saints to pray for them in the same way that all of us ask our Christian friends to pray for us.

Mortal sins must be confessed during the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Which is how we reconcile ourselves (and our immortal souls) back to God/Jesus after having sinned.

Venial sins are "confessed" and forgiven during mass.

As for the "placing something between you and God," technically is isn't placing something between the people and God.

Without going into all the details and nuances in the confessional the priest stands for Jesus so we are talking directly to Jesus. It's complicated in a simple sort of way.

QUOTE]

This was a huge misconception I held. ;) When I began to understand the symbolism I was very humbled and impressed.

And I think much of it is speaking the same words, but working from a different dictionary.

I'm honestly not sure what it means to me yet. I tend not to talk in terms of a personal relationship because it brings up stuff like the Jesus Loves Me, This I Know song where, to me, it seems to be all about the singer, not much about Jesus and nothing at all about the community of believers. I know Jesus loves me but it seems at least as important that He loves us, that He came to save the world, not just me.

My personal hangup as I wrestle with the issue. :)

I have to say, these Catholic threads have been doing a job on me lately. I figure I may have to get me to a High Anglican service soon or else I might be asking some of my Catholic friends if I can go with them. :D Funny thing is I have a Baptist friend who's been trying to get me to attend her church for ages but she can't make me budge. So here a few Catholics discuss their church for a couple of days and I'm all starry eyed!

I think the part I have a bit of trouble grasping is that to me it sounds like one is saying that Jesus is one's bestest buddy. I just can't get that casual.

Go to mass. Betcha you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think the part I have a bit of trouble grasping is that to me it sounds like one is saying that Jesus is one's bestest buddy. I just can't get that casual.

I might not word it like that, but He is my best friend. He knows me better than anyone else and I trust Him more than anyone else.

Mortal sins must be confessed during the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Which is how we reconcile ourselves (and our immortal souls) back to God/Jesus after having sinned.

Venial sins are "confessed" and forgiven during mass.

Why can't you go straight to God?

FWIW, my mom was visiting a Catholic church and she fell into the confessional as she was walking by. I told her that, clearly, God shoved her in there.

Why can't you go straight to God?

FWIW, my mom was visiting a Catholic church and she fell into the confessional as she was walking by. I told her that, clearly, God shoved her in there.

Because Jesus said so.

Too funny about your mom.

Psst: John 20:23 says "If you forgive men's sins, they are forgiven them; if you hold them bound they are held bound.

So sins must be confessed out loud so it can be decided if one's sins are forgiven or bound.

We don't "pray" to the saints. We ask for their intercession, just as we may ask you to pray for us. We don't have a problem with this as the saints bodies are the only thing temporarily dead...they themselves are alive. We pray to God, have a relationship with God, etc. We don't do the "buddy thing". There is a reverence. Catholics (and Orthodox...I throw this out there because there are false accusations floating around about EO on this subject as well) DO read their Bibles and are encouraged to. In fact, Scripture is read in every service...a lot of it. You will find Scripture throughout our prayers and music even.

No, that doesn't work. Try "Alive in Christ", which happens to be a Protestant phrase, tyvm ;)

Your part about the priest is an entire misunderstanding. You may want to read the recent threads on Catholicism and misunderstandings about Catholicism.

Both. In confession the priest declares that I'm forgiven for both my spoken and unspoken sins (meaning even those I have not mentioned to him). There is a purpose for confessing to a priest...just as a Protestant will go to their pastor for counsel. Confessing to one another is in Scripture ;) There is wisdom in the opportunity for guidance, counsel, and even assurance of God's forgiveness.

Or sentimental. The idea that Jesus is ready to give me a hug when I need one, not so much. That His words and deeds will challenge me, that's the ticket!

You guys are good. :D

Or sentimental. The idea that Jesus is ready to give me a hug when I need one, not so much. That His words and deeds will challenge me, that's the ticket!

You guys are good. :D

If you go, I promise to hang around here Sunday afternoon in case you have any questions.

If you go, I promise to hang around here Sunday afternoon in case you have any questions.

:D If I go it will likely be next weekend. It's funny, I'm not unhappy with the Anglican church at all, I just find Catholicism intriguing. My dad's family were all RC and I was baptized RC as well so maybe it's exploring a part of my roots?

Maybe the two churches can have joint custody of me? :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I should note I'm not completely unfamiliar with the RC. I've been to various services and got a very good grounding in Church history through my Education for Ministry course (It's an Episcopal course but open to any and all Christians and I'd recommend it to anyone).

Edited by WishboneDawn

To me a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is God living in me sharing my day to day joys and my sorrows. It is God living in me guiding me. It is me asking for guidance, enjoying conversation, and worshiping Him. It is talking with God. It is listening to Him. It is in knowing each other and enjoying each other.

:D If I go it will likely be next weekend. It's funny, I'm not unhappy with the Anglican church at all, I just find Catholicism intriguing. My dad's family were all RC and I was baptized RC as well so maybe it's exploring a part of my roots?

Maybe the two churches can have joint custody of me? :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I should note I'm not completely unfamiliar with the RC. I've been to various services and got a very good grounding in Church history through my Education for Ministry course (It's an Episcopal course but open to any and all Christians and I'd recommend it to anyone).

;)

Or lulled into a false sense of security as it is so much the same as an Anglican High Mass. Until the Our Father. Remember to stop early, or you'll be outed, Dawn! :D

Edited by nono

:D Yeah, that works.

If you (or anyone else) wants to know the ins and outs along with the Bible references I'll be happy to explain.

I think the idea of confession is actually a *huge* deterrent for many. I thin kit would be great if you explained it fully.

'personal savior': not all people are demonstrative. I have a 'personal' relationship' with my husband, but outside this house you might not know we were married. People are the same with their faith. They may not be all 'Jesus is my buddy' but they have a deep abiding love for the Savior. We really shouldn't be judging people's hearts.

I think the idea of confession is actually a *huge* deterrent for many. I thin kit would be great if you explained it fully.

'personal savior': not all people are demonstrative. I have a 'personal' relationship' with my husband, but outside this house you might not know we were married. People are the same with their faith. They may not be all 'Jesus is my buddy' but they have a deep abiding love for the Savior. We really shouldn't be judging people's hearts.

Okay. Give me a bit to put it together. I'll start a new thread so it can be discussed and nitpicked at will.

I believe that at some point you must make a conscience decision to accept Jesus as your Savior who died for your sins... Praying is speaking with our Father God. You are worshipping God and asking Him for guidance... for mercy... for forgiveness of sins you have committed that you have not "confessed" yet. That's intimate, right?

I believe that some of EVERY denomination are not Christians... I believe that some denominations are not Christian, and yet some in them are Christians.

I know that some Catholics, for instance, are not Christians. Some, at no point in their lives make individual decisions to accept the "gift of salvation" for themselves... and as rituals are not what "saves" you.... it's the "profession of faith"...

I do believe that Protestants use terms with Catholics and because the Catholic doesn't respond in the same term, they are judged as "non-Christians" which... I have many Catholic friends who have "personal relationships" with Jesus Christ :)

Romans 6:23 (King James Version) 23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

I believe that at some point you must make a conscience decision to accept Jesus as your Savior who died for your sins... Praying is speaking with our Father God. You are worshipping God and asking Him for guidance... for mercy... for forgiveness of sins you have committed that you have not "confessed" yet. That's intimate, right?

I believe that some of EVERY denomination are not Christians... I believe that some denominations are not Christian, and yet some in them are Christians.

I know that some Catholics, for instance, are not Christians. Some, at no point in their lives make individual decisions to accept the "gift of salvation" for themselves... and as rituals are not what "saves" you.... it's the "profession of faith"...

I do believe that Protestants use terms with Catholics and because the Catholic doesn't respond in the same term, they are judged as "non-Christians" which... I have many Catholic friends who have "personal relationships" with Jesus Christ :)

Romans 6:23 (King James Version) 23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

And here is where RC/EO would part ways with most Protestants. It's not that they are what saves you, but rather PART of. Salvations for us is not a one time event. It's a continuing experience. I have been saved, I am being saved, I will be saved.

I always thought that when people said that they had a personal relationship with Jesus it meant that they prayed and talked to Jesus.

I'm still grappling with what that looks like in my life - I'm not a very demonstrative person and I'm not very emotional about religion or my beliefs in general, so I'm not sure what a relationship with Jesus is supposed to be like. Like there are people in my life that I love and respect who are much more emotional about their faith and demonstrative about it but then being that demonstrative is just not my style.

But we Presbyterians were nicknamed the Frozen Chosen at one point, so I figure I'm in good company with my non-demonstrativeness :lol:

At this point I feel like I believe in Jesus but I don't have a super personal relationship with him because I'm not really sure what to pray about or when to pray.

But I kind of hoped I was covered because I prayed the Sinner's prayer and Jesus knows my heart? So I guess in answer to your question I feel like Jesus knows everyone's hearts and thus only Jesus is equipped to make salvation decisions.

And here is where RC/EO would part ways with most Protestants. It's not that they are what saves you, but rather PART of. Salvations for us is not a one time event. It's a continuing experience. I have been saved, I am being saved, I will be saved.

That's interesting that you say that salvation is a continuing experience. It kind of makes sense and is sort of in line with what I have come to believe. So much to think about!

Y'all really have me pondering all this stuff now - and seriously realizing how woefully uneducated I am when it comes to theology! :)

I've always wondered why one would assume Catholics don't talk to Jesus.

I was taught that Catholics don't talk to Jesus since they pray to Mary and the saints and think they can only get to God through a priest, violating the command not to call anyone "Father".

I know you didn't ask me, but yes, it did surprise me to realize that. It shouldn't have, since I knew the Rosary way back when. But then, I was told that it was vain repetition and idol worship to use rosary beads.

The people that I know who use the term "personal relationship" (and this is not representative of all) would be horrified to call say "bestest buddy". What they are saying is that there was a specific moment in time when, after the "age of accountability", God worked in their hearts an he or she realized they were a sinner, asked for forgiveness, turned from sin, believing Jesus died for their own sins, and got saved. From that moment on, they have supernatural understanding of the Bible and God will finally begin to hear their prayers as long as they regularly repent of sins. They are no longer spiritually dead, but alive in Him. They can begin to grow spiritually. If they are then baptized by immersion, they can begin taking communion.

Some may have the "buddy" idea, but that is far and away from what I've been around.

After just visiting a Catholic church for the first time in years, I second the idea. :001_smile:

Ah, yes. The Baptist church I went to described the start of a relationship with a personal Savior as a specific moment in time. But they did not identify as Protestant, either.