Menu

Can't think of a title but it's about my son

When young males (think about the 12-15 age range) find out my son has six sisters their first reaction is usually, "Oh man, he's probably going to turn out to be gay." WHY do these kids think that simply living in a houseful of females will change a boy's sexual preferences? As if proximity to females will turn them into one. Where does this attitude come from? Is it fear? Our culture? What?

BTW, my 14yo daughter's favorite comeback is, "Pfft...He's growing up surrounded by females...he's probably already more popular with the ladies than you are."

Barb

I don't know why they do that, Barb, but I commiserate with you. Kids seem to throw the word "gay" around as an epithet a lot these days. It's their fall-back insult. I think it's ignorant and hateful and I really hate that kind of talk.

Well, first let me say that I in no way share that belief. But I imagine that it may be because they think that if a boy grows up in a house of girls, he will be surrounded by girly toys and will be roped into playing girly games, dolls, etc. I expect that they think this will cause him to be more feminine (or effeminate) which they then equate with being gay.

I'm sure they don't think all this through. They're just jumping to stupid stereotypes. But my guess is that this is the root of it.

:grouphug: I'm sorry that he has to deal with this. Kids can really be so foolish sometimes. I like your dd's response, though. :001_smile:

When young males (think about the 12-15 age range) find out my son has six sisters their first reaction is usually, "Oh man, he's probably going to turn out to be gay."

I'm really surprised this would be the first reaction of a 12-15 year old. My two brothers would have probably asked if he had any older sisters and then checked to see if they were good looking. :lol:

I'm more likely to hear, "He'll be a great husband someday." To which I would reply, "Um, have you met my son??" :tongue_smilie:

People say stupid things. I'd be inclined to make some snide remark, but the stupid people aren't worth it.

I'm really surprised this would be the first reaction of a 12-15 year old. My two brothers would have probably asked if he had any older sisters and then checked to see if they were good looking. :lol:

That's how my teen boys think!

Your ds is going to make an awesome husband some day. He's got a lot of experience with the way girls think! My eldest ds wrestles every day with trying to properly interpret his 17yo female friends.

When young males (think about the 12-15 age range) find out my son has six sisters their first reaction is usually, "Oh man, he's probably going to turn out to be gay." WHY do these kids think that simply living in a houseful of females will change a boy's sexual preferences? As if proximity to females will turn them into one. Where does this attitude come from? Is it fear? Our culture? What?

I think it comes from the idea that sexual orientation is a learned behavior, so if you're surrounded by girls, you'll act like a girl. I guess.

Research has indicated, IIRC, that it's actually having more older brothers that increases a male's likelihood of being gay.

That's just crazy, but yeah, in a year or two, your house full of girls is going to be the one in which his friends want to hang out.

My 7 yo son has 2 busy older sisters, one of whom is a gymnast, and one of whom swims. He is, and all of his life has been, constantly surrounded by beautiful, smart, athletic girls, in leotards in swimsuits. He is very popular with his sisters' older friends, and they just hug all over him. He eats it up and could not be more comfortable around these girls. I have always joked that he is going to be the envy of his buds in a few years. They'll be awkward and shy around pretty, accomplished girls, and my son will be right at home. And so will your son!

Terri

I don't know why people say those kinds of things. My brother was the youngest of 5, with 4 older sisters, but by the time he was 12, he was 6'2", about 200 lbs. and full of muscles (He's now 6'5" and about 230 lbs.). I doubt anyone said to his face that he would turn out gay because of having so many sisters.

I think he did get some "You'll know how to handle women" comments, but that is certainly not true. He still has man genes and is as clueless as any man about the workings of the female mind! :D

My brother used to call us (his sisters) "The Hens". Nice.

My brother used to call us (his sisters) "The Hens". Nice.

:lol: Darling son is only 6, but he calls them "my girls". Looking forward to the dynamic as they grow.

Thanks, everyone for your stories. I think I'd just heard it one time too many this month.

Barb

"Oh man, he's probably going to turn out to be gay." WHY do these kids think that simply living in a houseful of females will change a boy's sexual preferences? As if proximity to females will turn them into one. Where does this attitude come from? Is it fear? Our culture? What?

BTW, my 14yo daughter's favorite comeback is, "Pfft...He's growing up surrounded by females...he's probably already more popular with the ladies than you are."

Barb

Pure ignorance. Your daughter is probably right, he will be so familiar with the female mind, he will make a wonderful husband someday!!

WHY do these kids think that simply living in a houseful of females will change a boy's sexual preferences?

For the same reason some people think letting a boy wear pink or play with dolls or cry will make him gay - stupidity. As a mom of a boy in ballet, I have no patience for that carp.

My word...I've never had anyone say such a thing to my family. (ds has 3 sisters)

I do get random expressions of pity for him in the store.

"Oh, bless his heart....3 big sisters to boss him around!!!"

Never to my face...it's my teenagers who always get this comment.

:iagree: Seems like they'd want to be checking out friend's sisters to see if they were dateable :001_smile:

I don't get the "gay" remark, but it's rude and annoying to say the least.

This is what I was thinking. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, though, your son may be like my brother who grew up in a house full of sisters and turned out to be a loving, nurturing, and supportive husband and father. I am growing weary of the characterization of these kinds of males as emasculated. I thank God for a brother and a husband like this.

I am growing weary of the characterization of these kinds of males as emasculated. I thank God for a brother and a husband like this.

Bingo! I think that's it. Like somehow the estrogen in the house will poison him. I even get this in a veiled form from adults, "Oh the poor thing with all those sisters," or "I hope you plan to let him take up football or boxing," like it's some special circle of hell. Honestly, he is the crowned prince around here (even if sometimes he *is* dressed as a princess :D )

Thank you for sharing your experience with your brother. I'm hoping my son grows up as well as your brother did. And that he has at least one daughter. He's going to make a great Daddy of girls one day.

Barb

Even my mother harbored this worry about my brother, who was the youngest, with four sisters and no brothers. She never said it in a tacky way, but just that she was worried that there wasn't enough masculine role modeling in the family.

And that he has at least one daughter. He's going to make a great Daddy of girls one day.

Barb

This is the only thing that really saddens me. My brother would be a wonderful dad to a little girl, but he was blessed with four boys. The fourth one was born with neuroblastoma and has had numerous ongoing medical issues, so they decided he was their last one. In any case, he really wanted a girl, so I let him "borrow" my girls.