Menu

What high school history do you use?

I'm curious to see what everyone uses for history in high school. I'm trying to make a decision on which curriculum to use with my daughter this coming school year. Has anyone used all of the Beautiful Feet high school guides with their children? I'm torn with either staying with SL or trying BF. I can't seem to find anyone who has used BF for all four years of high school. Thanks!

9th grade: Last year we did Notgrass American History, and Sonlight 100. Read as much as the assigned lit as possible. Notgrass & Hakim's books were a huge hit with him.

10th grade: This year we did portions of Omnibus 1 w/related lit; Spielvogel and SWB's History of the Ancient World were great supplements. We threw in some TQ also. DS wanted Church History, so we did Sonlight 200 w/o the lit. Saving the lit for another time. We started off with TOG but it didn't work for DS.

11th grade: Next year we'll do World History with MFW.

:thumbup:

11th grade: Next year we'll do World History with MFW.

:thumbup:

So, you think it is OK to jump in and do MFW World History without having first done AHL? I was wondering about this.

My 9th grader is currently doing SL 100, but I'm considering MFW for her for next year except she is not keen on doing Ancients again. Is the Language Arts/writing portion of AHL essential to be able to move into WHL? Maybe not...... (Thinking, thinking).

What is AHL? I looked on MFW's site and don't see Notgrass mentioned under their U.S. History courses (they use a Bob Jones text) so is this for ancient history?

Yes, Ancient History & Literature.

MFW uses Notgrass World for part of ancient and part of world history.

They use BJU for 0.5 credit of history each in years 3 and 4 (the other 0.5 credits are for gov & econ).

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

I was a long-term SL user (started with kindergarten level and did all the levels from there on up) until we got to their high school level Cores. Those were awful. I did Core 100 and Core 300. Core 100 was okay, but it's really a better fit for 7th or 8th grade, NOT for high school. Core 300 was a scattered mess. I abandoned SL.

I started using Oak Meadow for high school history last year and I really like it. They chose very good textbooks and the daily work is interesting. I have gotten to the point that I have my dd do either the questions or the weekly projects, but not both (she can choose each week which she wants to do).

My oldest used Thinkwell for government this past year and I thought that was interesting, but you should be aware that it is lecture only. There are no assignments.

• 2 weeks later...

We used SL for American history and loved it. But I wanted to delve into world history over a four year period. Tried TOG, and it was good, but I'm trying Biblioplan in the fall. It's less expensive, less overwhelming, less space on the shelves:)

9th grade was a mom pulled together program based on my son's interest.

Last year, he wanted to study Modern/20th Cent. history. We started the year just using the SL catalog as a reading guide (Core 300), but soon moved to using AO.

I didn't like SL's Core 300 main text for 20th cent. history, so we tried one of the AO suggestios. LOVED it. From there, we started adding in more and more from the AO year 11 book selections.

My son needs an American History, government and economics credit (last two need just be 1/2 credits), so he's gonna be doing AO's Year 9 & 10 (some modifications...mostly year 9's literature) in 11th and 12th grade).

We use The World: A Brief History (Felipe Fernandez-Armesto) for a quick overview or for inspiration for further research, multiple Teaching Company lecture series, historical documentaries, current non-fiction books on selected historical topics chosen by dd and by me (we take turns choosing, and our choices range from the history of clothing to the relationship between tea and empire to political spying), classic literature, and some historical fiction.

We've used Beautiful Feet for history, but now that ds is going into high school, I wanted to do great books with him. I think we're going to use the 9th grade history from Kolbe. If we weren't doing great books, I would definitely be using Beautiful Feet. I have their Ancient History and their modern US & World History at the high school levels. I really like their guides. There is a yahoo group if you want to ask specific questions. I'm one of the moderators and I'm still using BF with my younger kids.

We've used Beautiful Feet for history, but now that ds is going into high school, I wanted to do great books with him. I think we're going to use the 9th grade history from Kolbe. If we weren't doing great books, I would definitely be using Beautiful Feet. I have their Ancient History and their modern US & World History at the high school levels. I really like their guides. There is a yahoo group if you want to ask specific questions. I'm one of the moderators and I'm still using BF with my younger kids.

Please provide a link to the BF Yahoo Message Board. Thanks!