Menu

Are my dc weird?

Ohdanigirl

I have noticed some strange looks out in public when we have discussed some of the things we have learned about in school. I often overhear my dc explaining some of the things that they have learned to there playmates. There friends usually seem pretty interested and pay close attention. I also notice looks from the parents. You know, the "why are you teaching them that?" look. :001_huh: I am sure these parents think I am crazy. Please help me out here.

Examples:

Any and all Greek Myths they have read, info about major wars, biographical info about famous artist and type of art, names of constellations and the stories behind them, and pretty much anything science related.

These are the things my kids are most enthusiastic about. They beg for art. They have to get tons of books about whatever artist they study. They love science encyclopedias, and enjoy having me read Greek Myths to them. I thought these were the types of things most kids would enjoy. Stories about heroes, messy experiments, crazy lives of painters. So are my kids just weird?

Danielle

My 7 yo and our new chiropractor had a very long talk about the pharoahs of Egypt since that was his memory work for this week. He's a history buff and is eating up SOTW. She asked about his favorite subject and stood looking very confused as he went on and on about what he's learned in history this year.

I think the classical approach, the ability to dig deeper into kid's interest, the approach to history, and the one-on-one learning allows us so many benefits that our kids can surprise people used to ps.

Your kids haven't had their love of learning sucked out of them by the school system. I think your kids sound great! They should come play with my kids. :)

No! They are super cool! (At least I would think so.:D)

Honestly, I can't imagine the things you mentioned being considered weird. Maybe it makes the parents uncomfortable that their kids aren't learning the same types of things?

:iagree: Those are my feelings exactly! Especially the bolded parts! My kids would love to play with your kids. I seriously think we have every book about greek myths checked out from the library at the moment :lol:

I honestly think I was a HSer before we even decided to HS because my kids are the same way. They know so much about animals since they both have a big interest in those. They always either impress people (all family and most friends) or totally weird them out (some friends). I love that kids are excited about what they are learning. That is what real books do for kids! And going down rabbit holes they are interested in... Keep up the good work, Mommy!

My nephew is in PS and even he would say NO. He loves myths and history, especially if there's a connected constellation to learn about. He comes to my house just to talk to me about history and has been asking to meet my dad again (not related to him, he's my nephew by marriage) to talk to him about celestial navigation! With "normal" kids he talks about BMX racing or video games, but he would love to play with your kids too.

Are these parents readers? Do they learn new things themselves? DH and I encourage our nephew in those things, but his parents don't. They're not readers or otherwise information seekers. In their world, you remember it long enough to pass the test and get out of school, because you're probably not going to need Greek myths at work (and why else learn something?). I would assume they're thinking along the lines of "I don't think my kid has a history class, just social studies, whatever that is. I don't remember it and I certainly haven't needed it. People still learn history?" I didn't have an actual history class until 8th grade, and then we definitely didn't learn Greek myths.

No, not weird. My girls are the same way. They still are even though they are in school this year. They really don't know any better. LOL

But their principal and teachers are mighty impressed. LOL

Just recently the principal was telling me how they were learning about constellations in their school star dome. And my 11yr old was just talking up a storm about the greek gods and goddesses. The principal was so impressed, as well as I because her very first lapbook was made when she was doing third grade and learning Greek Myths and such. I explained to her principal that she learned that when we did that lapbook and proceded to let her know what a lapbook was. Which in turn had me bringing in our collection of thme that I have at home to the school and showing her them. She loved the idea.

So I guess our weirdness and geekiness flows through us too. LOL

I know my girls would love playing with your kids too. :>)

No! :)

But atypical for our world, which is good! :D

Our culture has just come to expect and accept a pitifully low level of knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge. So your kids and mine and everyone else's on these boards stand out.

Yes. You are crazy and your kids are weird. And it's hopeless, you will always be that way.

Thank goodness. ;)

:lol::lol:

Well, I would like to think that it is because the parents feel bad in some way, and maybe they will try to fill in those gaps. Truthfully though, they really are looking at me like they really just don't get it. Someone asked if the parents were readers. I guess this could have quite a bit to do with it. I always have a book in my hand. I guess I am just a bit sad for them. The parents look at me like I have three heads, instead of running to the library to get a book on what ever topic there child has drilled my dc on.

Who says the myths aren't useful. My kids see references all over the place. It is funny when they here a joke in a movie/show and understand it before many of the adults even realize there was a joke. Shakespeare is great for that too.

Danielle

P.S. Are there any picture of those lapbooks. I am really have geek envy right now.

I love it! No, they're not weird, they're super interesting and cool!

I just wish more families I run into in real life could be as fun.

My DD also loves art and history and science. All her penpals get to hear about what artist she's currently studying.

Um...I don't know...is it weird that my 6yo and 9yo were playing with two friends yesterday having a war between the royalists and the supporters of the republic with littlest pet shop animals...? (they've recently learned about the French Revolution) :confused:

These are the things my kids are most enthusiastic about. They beg for art. They have to get tons of books about whatever artist they study. They love science encyclopedias, and enjoy having me read Greek Myths to them. I thought these were the types of things most kids would enjoy. Stories about heroes, messy experiments, crazy lives of painters. So are my kids just weird?

My guy is weird the same way: as the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Um...I don't know...is it weird that my 6yo and 9yo were playing with two friends yesterday having a war between the royalists and the supporters of the republic with littlest pet shop animals...? (they've recently learned about the French Revolution) :confused:

That is weird! But, I love it!:lol: Weird is good sometimes. :001_smile:

Your kids haven't had their love of learning sucked out of them by the school system. I think your kids sound great! They should come play with my kids. :)

:iagree: It can be hard, though, as DS learned yesterday. He had a 'friend' come ask if he could play and invited his 'friend' inside. DS wanted to show him (and explain) all the cool books we had just gotten at the Scholastic book fair. DS's 'friend' looked at him like he had grown three heads and said, "You really like books?" DS responded with an enthusiastic "Yes!" :D DS's 'friend' informed him that he was weird and then left the house to go tell his Grandma that DS just wanted to read, not play.

I think it's great that HS'd kids love learning and want to learn & teach. I doubt that your kids are weird!

That said, I have seen HS kids who will buttonhole other kids and tell them lots of information, in a way that I would consider unusual. When that happens, the HSer is spouting off information, not having a conversation. The other kid is taken aback but does not know how to get away. The HSer does not know how to relate to another child or take into account the other person's point of view, or even think that the other person might have different interests. The HSer is not engaging the other kid, but talking at them.

I have seen this several times with HSers and it troubles me.

(I'm not talking about kids who might have a developmental disorder-- I'm talking about perfectly healthy kids who love learning but do not know how to relate to other kids.)

Not by homeschool standards. ;)

(I kept thinking the OP must be joking. Surely these are all positive traits in kids. I mean, even if that's "weird," the potential for having kids like that is the reason many of us homeschool!)

Not by homeschool standards. ;)

(I kept thinking the OP must be joking. Surely these are all positive traits in kids. I mean, even if that's "weird," the potential for having kids like that is the reason many of us homeschool!)

:iagree: i guess it depends on what circles you're running in...by hs standards it would be weird if they didn't like that stuff.

I honestly think I was a HSer before we even decided to HS because my kids are the same way. They know so much about animals since they both have a big interest in those. They always either impress people (all family and most friends) or totally weird them out (some friends). I love that kids are excited about what they are learning. That is what real books do for kids! And going down rabbit holes they are interested in... Keep up the good work, Mommy!

:iagree:

We aren't homeschooling yet, but my daughter has expressed several interests since she was 5 years old. We've done a fairly extensive study of ancient Egypt and the Greek gods at her request already. She also has specific interests in science that we've been learning. I have adults often say that they are amazed at what my daughter knows.