Menu

How many of you know how to play Chess?

I have been debating learning Chess. I have heard it is a good game to learn.

It's a straight-forward game so you should be able to learn it in a jiffy. I learned it...golly, I don't even know when. I guess when I was growing up? I know I could play by the time I was in college, because I played on occasion with a guy a dated. (Played chess, I mean. Ahem.;)) I do enjoy it, but I seldom play now even though all of us (save for Kai) in my family know the game. My older three have been in a chess club for a number of years but they aren't passionate about it. They'd much rather play Settlers or Risk. But it's handy to know chess. I think of it as an international language ~ kinda like soccer.:)

:lol: Too funny!!!!

I don't know how to play and neither does DH, but DD8 wants to learn so we have "No Stress Chess" from B&N and it is actually kinda fun!!!

My dad taught all of his kids to play chess. I strongly dislike the game. I have one son who loves it, so I play it with him. I don't worry about learning chess strategy because I want to lose early and often.

RC

and, being a geek, when I was 15 I checked out a bunch of books from the library on chess. Don't know if it makes me a better player, but I understand chess references in TV shows and movies :-) Even the chess game in Alice Through the Looking Glass make sense to me:D

Chess, and a host of other games. My step-father taught me when I was five or six. For a few years in middle school and high school I played 5-10 games a day, although I never took the game seriously enough to go competitive.

I'm looking forward to teaching my boys. :D

My dad taught all of his kids to play chess. I strongly dislike the game. I have one son who loves it, so I play it with him. I don't worry about learning chess strategy because I want to lose early and often.

RC

ROFL! I hear you on that! I do know how to play, but it's not my bag at all. I don't have the attention span or the ability to see moves far enough ahead. My DD5 is learning (as is my DH, actually) using a game called No-Stress chess (recommended by my BFF ack25 :D). She loves it, and after playing only three times, she knows how all the pieces move and was instructing my DH this past weekend. I'm more of a role-playing game and Pictionary kinda gal, myself :lol:

I know, but I bought a book for ds (he didn't want ME to show him ANYthing!). checkmate! my first chess book by Garry Kasparov published by Everyman Chess. I got it from Amazon for about $10. It explains every piece and it's function and it's easy to read. I learned stuff I didn't know from this book. I was better than anything else I checked out from the library.

It takes too long and involves too much thinking! I don't find it relaxing and enjoyable at all, so it defeats the whole purpose of game-playing for me.

You know, that's the same reason I don't watch the soaps! When I watch television or play a game, I enjoy "escaping" for a bit. :) I have enough drama in my life, so I really don't need to get all emotionally involved in the soaps or a stressful game like chess.

My dad taught both my brother and I when we were young. I liked playing, but it is a passion for my brother. He has played competatively since he was 12. I have taught my oldest the game and her uncle has coached her a little too. I wouldn't call her passionate, but she does enjoy the game. I think , like any strategy game, it's really great brain excersise.

I enjoy playing chess... my dad taught me to play as a child, and I've played sporadically since then.

Both our ds's have used the "Fritz and Chesster" chess program and learned a lot. Older ds did one session of chess club last fall at our local homeschool park days.

Otherwise, older ds and I have been (slowly) working our way through a couple of highly recommended resources. I've learned really a lot playing through the examples with him:

Winning Chess Strategy for Kids by Jeff Coakley

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Chess-Strategy-Kids-Coakley/dp/1895525055

Winning Chess Exercises for Kids by Jeff Coakley

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Chess-Exercises-Kids-Coakley/dp/1895525101

both of which are easy to do and fun. I highly recommend these to develop those chess skills.

Ds also really enjoys reading to himself (and doing the puzzles) "Kasparov Teaches Chess". My mom bought it for him after a chess playing friend of hers recommended it even for kids. I thought it would be way over his head, but no--he likes it! It's old and out of print, but there are lots of cheap paperback copies around.

I'm like RC; I hate it. But I know how to play.

Surprisingly, ds18, who had problems with logical thought, does very, very well in chess.

I can play, but I do not like it. Dh plays competitively, and the big kids have played in a couple of tournaments. We've coached a couple of scholastic teams (dh mostly), and ds has been involved in a club or two. Lots of chess books in this house and a couple dozen sets including a demonstration one we made from sheet metal and sheet magnets.

Dd, the problem-solving kid, can play but isn't wildly enthusiastic about tournament play. Much to dh's horror, lol. He hoped she would be the US women's champ at 14 or something.

I know, but I bought a book for ds (he didn't want ME to show him ANYthing!). checkmate! my first chess book by Garry Kasparov published by Everyman Chess. I got it from Amazon for about $10. It explains every piece and it's function and it's easy to read. I learned stuff I didn't know from this book. I was better than anything else I checked out from the library.

for the book recommendation.

Thanks for the resource ideas! I think my son needs some resources to help him diversify his strategies...

My son's primary passion in life is chess - it started w/ Fritz & Chesster, then Chessmaster, a chess club, and now playing at chess.com, as well multiple games every night with Dad. I myself am dragging my feet because he has other people in his life to play chess with, but he is always begging for me to play. Why in the world do I want to be continually clobbered by my 9-year old (??) - unless to join his world & passion. That is probably reason enough...

My dad taught me how to play when I was young. He loved the game...still does. Now, I'm teaching my ds10 and ds8. ds10 just LOVES to play. I could never hold my own against an adult player with any skill, but I can teach my sons! Dh plays a bit, too, and could probably beat me. I enjoy the game, but it's not my favorite.