Menu

Allergy Detectives! I Need Your Help!

For the past month, dd (13) has suddenly been plagued by some sort of allergy. She has an appointment with the allergist on Monday, but the attacks are becoming more and more frequent, to the point that they are happening every 24 hours or so, and I'm literally at my wit's end. The child has NEVER had allergies of ANY kind prior to this, so I don't even have a jumping off point from which to try and deduce a cause.

Symptoms: GIANT hives, itchy and burning. And by "giant" I mean the size of dinner plates-- located on her shoulders, neck, upper back, and face. Three times her throat and tongue have swelled and we've raced to the ER in the middle of the night.

The strange thing is that the onset is ALWAYS between 10:30 pm and 1:00 am, and the itching and "crawly feeling under my skin" wakes her up at night. We've obviously changed all the bedding, etc. For the past two nights we've had her sleep in the guest room, thinking it could be her mattress which was bought new when she was 2 years old and only used by her. But last night, again with the hives at midnight. We manage it, as per ER doc's instructions, with big doses of Benadryl and Zantac, and an epipen at the ready.

We've tried to keep a food diary but cannot come up with any commonalities whatsoever.

Any ideas???

astrid

P.S. Edited to add: We have not changed any brands of anything-- soap, shampoo, laundry detergent all the same as we've used for years. Also, she's not using any new brands of makeup, perfume, powders, etc.

Edited by astrid

It seems our allergies always get worse when we go to bed -- even if the allergy had nothing to do with the bed, or the bedtime routine, or what we ate for dinner. That might just be the time when your daughter reacts the most - to whatever it is. It might even be something she ate for breakfast.

It could be anything. It might be pollen or mold, in which case it might disappear mysteriously when the pollen or mold disappears. Might be a contact allergy (and it might have developed suddenly even if you haven't changed laundry det etc). Might be a food allergy (and, again, it might have just developed, possibly to a food she has always eaten without problem).

As already suggested, get an epi-pen. Is she taking anything like Benadryl? That might knock the reaction down a bit. Maybe she could take medicine before the reaction. That might keep it from developing into quite such an ordeal.

Although, I have to point out that the cortisone cream I was once prescribed for this sort of thing turned out to be even more allergenic for me than whatever else it was that was getting me. You have to suspect anything and everything.

My dd had delayed reactions to soy with the attacks occuring after 10pm. In her case, she'd be writhing on our bedroom floor in pain :( We didn't suspect soy at all because we weren't eating tofu, veggie burgers, tvp etc. The culprit was found in the salad dressing she loved, in yellow rice mixes and in bread and rolls. The attacks became an every-night occurance while we were waiting for an allergist appointment. One morning she woke up with hives, I called the allergist office, and they fit her in within the hour as an emergency.

Most food reactions occur with an minutes or an hour or two. I had no idea that the reaction could be so delayed. Your dd could very well have a food allergy instead of an environmental allergy.

How are you treating her? Is she taking antihistamines? If so, the allergist will not be able to perform skin testing at her appointment as one needs to be off antihistamines for 5 (?) days prior to the pricks. Blood testing, however, can be done at any time. Insist on testing.

I'm sorry :grouphug: It stinks.

you know what...I had the exact same thing happen to me as a teen. It happened daily for about 6 months of so;

Finally what we did was I took a daily Zyrec or Claritin for about 4-5 months. Slowly that calmed my immune system down so that it quit happening all the time. Eventuall I was able to quit all the meds.

I did have another episode in my early 20's but did the same thing and I've never really had another period like that.

Get an epipen. Be proactive with the allergy meds.

(we never figured out the allergen, despite tests)

Cortisol levels are at their lowest overnight. That's why croup is almost always a nighttime issue. So I'm guessing she could be reacting then since her defenses are lowered. It could be a reaction to something she was exposed to earlier, but is only finally giving in to the effect once her defenses are at their weakest.

I would be sleeping in her room until an allergy test is completed. :grouphug:

OMG, how horrifying!

All I can add is that we have allergies that come and go. Dh was determined to be allergic to eggs and poultry when he was younger (and in fact couldn't get certain vaccinations because of his egg allergy). However, as an adult, his egg allergy is gone (he eats eggs all the time) and I've seen his poultry allergy definitively go and come back 2 or 3 times over the course of our 17 years together.

Don't be surprised if she's suddenly developed an allergy (and it is allergy season), but as far as finding out to what...good luck!

Ok first off, you can develop and allergy to something that you have neer previously been allergic to at anytime. So you have to consider everything, not just anything new. Second almost all illness get worse at night even if it is caused by something that happened during the day. At this point, you need to take some serious prophylactic measure.

You said Zantac but I am going to assume that you meant Zyrtek. In any case, take the 24 hour Zyrtek about 2 hours before normal onset so say 8 in the evening. You can also take Benedryl at the same time. Children 12 and under (or less than say 100 lbs) can take 1/2 to 1 tablet/capsule every 4 to 6 hours. Children above 12 and adult can take 1 to 2 tablet/capsule every 4 to 6 hour. Have her take a double dose at the same time as the Zyrtek. Benedryl is extremely safe and difficult to OD on. It will probably knock her out but otherwise she should be fine. Please do extra research on this or call your dr. if you are uncomfortable with this piece of advice.

Next you need to go to a low allergen diet immediately. You can look it up but it is very limited: most meats, rice, bananas and few other things. Change to hypoallergenic items and -free items. Rewash all her clothes and sheets - without soap at all if you want since they are already clean. Try a luckwarm bath an hour or two before bedtime - not too hot or cold because that can set off hives itself. Both hormones and stress can cause hives ass well. Change your air filters, close your windows, vacuum really well, and consider a room HEPA air fliter as it could be an airborne allergen. Good luck, allergies can be a PITA.

You said Zantac but I am going to assume that you meant Zyrtek. .

Actually, when my dd had her major hives attack (before the soy etc allergies were diagnosed), the allergist had her on Zyrtek, Benadryl and Zantac to reduce the hives! Zantac has anti-allergen properties in addition to helping tummies.

First, a complete room cleaning. Wipe down the walls. Vacuum (but do not let dc in the room until 30 minutes after). Wash all bedding. I like to use an extra rinse cycle also. I do not use fabric softener on my allergy kids stuff. All stuffed critters need to be washed or frozen for a time to kill possible problem causers. Enclose pillows, mattress and box springs in zippered allergy casings. (I'm remembering being told to also duct tape the zippers, but I never did.)

After all that, I have found taking 24 hr Zyrtec in the morning and Benadryl at night works really well.

:grouphug:

I became allergic to polyester. I would try a switch to 100% cotton sheets and blankets and see if that makes a difference. (I had been fine with polyester and all of a sudden became allergic to it. Fuzzy blankets and stuffed animals are the worst. The one good thing about this allergy is that my children know that if they get tired of carrying their little stuffed animals, mom cannot carry them, so they only drag them along when they willing to carry them the whole time.)

Molds peak in the evening. Dust mites are also a possibility.

:grouphug:

Yikes!

You can develop an allergy at any time. Also, manufacturers can change their product's ingredients at any time.

We had a similar situation, and finally discovered there were macadamia nuts in ds's shampoo. :glare: He would get sick every night, because he would have a bath before bed. A little while later, he would react to the shampoo. It was awful.

Here's hoping you get it figured out soon and that her allergy test results are conclusive.

Actually, when my dd had her major hives attack (before the soy etc allergies were diagnosed), the allergist had her on Zyrtek, Benadryl and Zantac to reduce the hives! Zantac has anti-allergen properties in addition to helping tummies.

I have never heard that but good to know. Thanks.

My dd had delayed reactions to soy with the attacks occuring after 10pm. In her case, she'd be writhing on our bedroom floor in pain :( We didn't suspect soy at all because we weren't eating tofu, veggie burgers, tvp etc. The culprit was found in the salad dressing she loved, in yellow rice mixes and in bread and rolls. The attacks became an every-night occurance while we were waiting for an allergist appointment. One morning she woke up with hives, I called the allergist office, and they fit her in within the hour as an emergency.

Most food reactions occur with an minutes or an hour or two. I had no idea that the reaction could be so delayed. Your dd could very well have a food allergy instead of an environmental allergy.

How are you treating her? Is she taking antihistamines? If so, the allergist will not be able to perform skin testing at her appointment as one needs to be off antihistamines for 5 (?) days prior to the pricks. Blood testing, however, can be done at any time. Insist on testing.

I'm sorry :grouphug: It stinks.

You know, I WONDERED about soy a couple of weeks ago. We don't eat tofu, etc. either but it's in so many other things in one form or another.

She's been taking antihistamines but for the past two days I"ve monitored and not given them. Ice packs for comfort, etc. Her appointment is on Monday and I want it all out of her system first, if at all possible.

astrid

Zantac is a histamine blocker; who knew?

astrid

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: This sounds SO scary!!!!

My ds has multiple food allergies. We've always known what they are and they never changed. Until last year. Suddenly his lips were swelling. His tongue was swelling randomly, it seemed. Come to find out he's allergic to RICE and sweet potatoes. Who's allergic to those things!?

:grouphug::grouphug: I could be something completely random. My sis is allergic like this to dust. Seriously - huge hives and throat swelling.