Menu

What's your favourite "unnecessary" kitchen appliance?

I love my rice cooker and my bread machine and would be loath to do without them, but the absolutely indispensable one is my electric egg boiler. It's sooooo convenient to put in the eggs and come back when the buzzer sounds to find the eggs cooked to just the right consistency (my younger and I prefer soft, the oldest medium boiled).

However, I'm often hesitant to tell people because a dedicated egg boiler seems so... unnecessary.

I love my Magic Bullet, but consider it necessary since it replaces both my blender and smoothie maker.

Now I remember what my best yard sale find was! If you can consider it an "appliance", my favorite unnecessary thing is my hot water dispenser hands down. It's great for tea, instant hot drinks, cooking, soaking dishes with caked on food, etc. I got it for $20 brand new in the box at a yard sale.

If you can consider it an "appliance", my favorite unnecessary thing is my hot water dispenser hands down. It's great for tea, instant hot drinks, cooking, soaking dishes with caked on food, etc. I got it for $20 brand new in the box at a yard sale.
I'm considering getting one of these. We host a big game day once a month and always have the kettle going for tea. How long does it take to heat up?

I'm considering getting one of these. We host a big game day once a month and always have the kettle going for tea. How long does it take to heat up?

What I meant was a hot water dispenser that is seperate faucet next to the tap water. The hot water is always there when you turn the knob.

What I meant was a hot water dispenser that is seperate faucet next to the tap water. The hot water is always there when you turn the knob.
Ah... I'm looking at the countertop canister models.

Well, the only reason I have found it is "not necessary" is because it broke and we have been without one for many months now - my dishwasher.

I cannot say that I am *happy* we no longer have one because that, my friend, would be a serious lie. :) I am looking forward to purchasing a new one, but I did discover that it is not a "necessity." :)

My Kitchenaid would be my second runner-up. Bread would not happen here without it! :)

that sounds so cool.

Mine is my tortilla press/cooker. I love it and it makes making tortillas so much easier and quicker.

Our kids recently enjoyed making corn tortillas at the home of a friend (who has adopted 4 young people from Guatemala). We immediately thought about purchasing a tortilla press. But, I'd love to know more about your "electric" one.

Oh, I love kitchen appliances! Of course, I love my Kitchen Aid mixer, but my favorite every day used appliance is my Keurig coffee maker. It was a gift from my mom and I appreciate it every time I want to quick cup of coffee. I don't drink more than a cup a day, so it's just perfect for my family! I also recently bought a wood cutting board from Bed Bath and Beyond. It is some one-of-a-kind type wood and I think it's just so pretty. I didn't "need" it per say because I have other boards, but it makes me happy each time I use it! Oh, and my mom also gave me Le Creuset red pot and though I wouldn't have spent the money to have bought it for myself, I do thoroughly enjoying using it. I'm easily swayed by kitchen gadgets and appliances that I've seen the professionals use on TV!:lol:

I really don't *have* kitchen gadgets/appliances unless I feel they are pretty darn necessary. But, if you ask what could I live without, push coming to shove and all that...well...let me see now...

Not the salad spinner

Not the coffee pot

Not the food processor

Not the immersion blender

Not the good knives

Not the various spoons and spatulas

Not the iron skillets

Probably the microwave. Or the dishwasher. The latter is new to me within the last year, and I still find that I'll start washing dishes before I remember that I have a dishwasher. :D

Somebody already mentioned it, but mine is the garlic press. I LOVE it and use it a LOT!

Also, our oven is weird, so I appreciate my stones that I use to bake things in and on---even baking, no burning! Thanks, I needed that! :lol:

Our kids recently enjoyed making corn tortillas at the home of a friend (who has adopted 4 young people from Guatemala). We immediately thought about purchasing a tortilla press. But, I'd love to know more about your "electric" one.

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/VillaWare-V5955-Grand-Tortilla-Flatbread/dp/B00005R85X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1210618927&sr=8-1

Sorry, I am too dunce to know how to post a link. But it is the VillaWare

V5955 Tortilla and Flatbread maker. I love it, and I can make 24 tortillas in about 20 minutes.

I have Crystal Springs Water in the kitchen with a dispenser for instantly hot water. We drink so much more water with it so handy and I love the hot water dispenser on the cooler now that my dc's are older. We make tea, coffee with a press, oatmeal, hot water for homemade bread, instantly. I also don't really buy any other drink but milk and occassionally orange juice.

But, I also love my Magic Bullet. I use it for smoothies, coffee drinks, sauces and I just finished chopping greens for the Bearded Dragons. I love how easy the clean up is for the MB.

I'm also in love with my Bosch Universal and Nutrimill. I guess I have too many gadgets!!

Upon reading that question, my first answer was ... my stove!!:lol:

Seriously, I very rarely cook anything in the oven. Well, we are doing brownies tonight. Yay! I occasionally use the stovetop. We use our crockpot mostly, and bring in/eat out. But my stove is pretty!

Just sign me...

Kitchen Slacker

Upon reading that question, my first answer was ... my stove!!:lol:
Point taken, I changed the title. :)

I guess margaritas are not strictly neccesary. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think mine would be my bread maker. I LOVE mine!!!! It allows me to bake fresh bread every day. Without it, I think the labor would send me over the edge to buying bread (the horror!! LOL). I also love my rice cooker. Perfect rice every time without having to clean up the stove afterward!

LOL!! When we were dividing up my Dad's estate my sister had told me she wanted Dad's kitchen aid. Well, after about the 80th pick she still had not taken his kitchen-aid. So I took it. She said, OH no, she had completely forgotten that it was there.

HOW COULD YOU FORGET SUCH A THING, was what I thought. Presently it sits in my basement waiting for DS #1 or #2's first apartment. yes, that will be several years away but how on earth can you call a place a kitchen if it does not have a kitchen aid?

--oh, stop by my blog to see my kitchen remodel--

Carole

Ah... I'm looking at the countertop canister models.

It doesn't take that long to heat up the water. You have to be careful with the steam though! One Thanksgiving I was so busy cooking and wasn't paying attention. I got way to close to the steam and it burned my arm really bad!

My egg boiler is also my favorite kitchen gadget - I have used it so much I can't believe it still works. People laugh when I tell them I have an egg boiler, but that thing has come in handy so many times I just don't think I could do without it.

My most frivolous kitchen gadget is the Breville Muffin Magic, which cooks 3 muffins. Got it on sale at Amazon last year, just couldn't resist. We eat low carb 5 days a week, and I can make some neat flax muffins in it in no time flat.

My most frivolous kitchen gadget is the Breville Muffin Magic, which cooks 3 muffins. Got it on sale at Amazon last year, just couldn't resist. We eat low carb 5 days a week, and I can make some neat flax muffins in it in no time flat.
Ooooh... cool. Do you mix up the batter in big batches and store it in the fridge?

Guest Virginia Dawn

My Whirley Pop. I don't have most of the neat gadgets mentioned here. With my Whirley Pop I can make a batch of kettle corn with only 1 TBSP of oil and 1 TBSP of sugar, so now I'm gaining weight at a reduced rate. :-D

instant hot water dispenser (it's a small faucet next to the regular sink faucet). I use it multiple times every single day for tea. I also really rely upon my rice cooker and my garlic press. Other than these things, I'm pretty low maintenance in the kitchen. My mother doesn't use/want any of these things and still she somehow manages to cook great meals. To each her own!

I'm ridiculous about kitchen gadgets! I dream of getting a ravioli attachment for my pasta maker, which I never even use! I'm just about to put an order in for an electric grain grinder/ flaker. That will be my absolute best favourite forever. Though I would like a tortilla press. We only seem able to get aluminium ones here in Australia. I don't know that they are worth it. I've heard they break easily.

:)

Rosie