Menu

My 21 yo ds says his hair is falling out

Nioxin shampoo, is available at Sally's Beauty Supply or your local salon. It can be very helpful for thinning hair.

Btw...The Sally's brand is under $10 per bottle, most hair salons charge $20 or more per bottle.

What does it do? :bigear:

Has he been ill recently?

no

Hair loss is occasionally due to high mercury levels. Does he eat a lot of ocean fish or have any other exposure to mercury? Alopecia is probably a lot more common, especially if he is under stress.

He hasn't been eating fish. I don't think he's been eating well since he moved out. Think Ramen noodles.

Thanks, all!

Thinning all over could be normal age related hair loss or sign of a thyroid condition. How does he feel otherwise? If any other symptoms, a trip to the dr. is probably in order. If not I would just take a wait and see approach especially if any of his biological relatives have a history of early hair loss.

I had a co-worker who was nearly bald at 30yo. He said he started going bald around 16/17yo.

This happened with my nephew as well. I don't ever remember seeing him as a young man with a full head of hair. :ohmy: He just went ahead and shaved it all off when his hair line started to recede.

Lyme disease is another possibility. Hair loss is almost never listed as a symptom, as far as I could tell; however, it was the first sign of a problem for both my daughter and my neighbor. For my daughter, in the early stages of thinning, we could just painlessly pull out pieces or chunks of hair, and my neighbor mentioned the same thing. The initial blood test was negative for us, and so she was diagnosed with either alopecia or experiencing a severe traumatic experience (which we knew hadn't happened). When she developed other symptoms, they reran the Lyme test and it was positive. For what it's worth, both her hair and our neighbor's returned completely.

Since you're in VA, I wanted to mention it (not sure if your stepson is or not). Hopefully it's just a more normal balding!