Menu

Can someone please explain this point of view to me?

I feel like we are talking semantics here. Some say "celebrating the death of" while, perhaps what some people mean is "relieved that this chapter is over and HE is no longer a threat". Because he was so violently opposed to us AND had not only murderous intent BUT a murderous history,....I am okay with the fact that he is dead. Did I dance in the streets? No, but I couldn't stop smiling that night and I could scarcely sleep. History was made. Yes, it seems like it needed to be accomplished by his death.

Would it have been wonderful if he had never chosen this path? Of course, but he DID choose it. I can't see a reason to mourn that. It wasn't going to change, it seems, without the US taking this path.

What else was going to happen?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A dear friend of mine sent me the link to this article by an Orthodox priest. It pretty much sums up what I've been feeling the past couple of days.

Although from the Huffingtonpost, it's not a political article and I think it offers some valuable perspective into what I think some have been trying to say. There's also CC...so if that bugs you, you might not want to click.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fr-petermichael-preble/osama-is-dead_b_856392.html

I'd type more on this, but I'm posting from my iPad and have a terrible time with the touchpad.

Why is it that I feel as if the THOUSANDS of innocent lives (meaning that they did not CHOOSE as he did to live a murderous, despicable, cowardly life) that this man took from them is just being forgotten in the whole "I feel so sorry for him" attitude?:glare:

He CHOSE to be a murderer and he CHOSE the consequenses.

I feel the same. All those murdered people did wrong was choose to go to work that day. I wish people would get some perspective. Everyone's life is not of equal value, not by a long shot. Yes, it was a life, but it was certainly not a life well-lived.

Edited by Mejane

Everyone's life is not of equal value, not by a long shot. Yes, it was a life, but it was certainly not a life well-lived.

I am one who, earlier in the thread, said that I am uncomfortable with the celebrations I've seen.

Still, I agree completely with the statement above.

Everyone's life is not of equal value, not by a long shot.

Wow. The implications of that statement are huge.

Why is it that I feel as if the THOUSANDS of innocent lives (meaning that they did not CHOOSE as he did to live a murderous, despicable, cowardly life) that this man took from them is just being forgotten in the whole "I feel so sorry for him" attitude?

Maybe you feel that way because you are misunderstanding people? This is not a zero-sum game. A life lost is a life lost, and it is, to me, always cause for sorrow. Not cause for feeling sorry for someone, but cause for sorrow that a person's life potential is squandered. If someone chooses an evil path, it is sad that they have squandered their potential to be good. If someone dies unrepentant and evil, it is sad that the life was wasted. This in no way means that we don't feel sorrow for the innocents who were killed. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Tara

Maybe you feel that way because you are misunderstanding people? This is not a zero-sum game. A life lost is a life lost, and it is, to me, always cause for sorrow. Not cause for feeling sorry for someone, but cause for sorrow that a person's life potential is squandered. If someone chooses an evil path, it is sad that they have squandered their potential to be good. If someone dies unrepentant and evil, it is sad that the life was wasted. This in no way means that we don't feel sorrow for the innocents who were killed. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Tara

:iagree:

And this one from the same book . . .

But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

But nowhere in that Book does Jesus say that humans should do this to one another. He does not tell us to drown/kill those who cause others to sin.

A dear friend of mine sent me the link to this article by an Orthodox priest. It pretty much sums up what I've been feeling the past couple of days.

Although from the Huffingtonpost, it's not a political article and I think it offers some valuable perspective into what I think some have been trying to say. There's also CC...so if that bugs you, you might not want to click.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fr-petermichael-preble/osama-is-dead_b_856392.html

I'd type more on this, but I'm posting from my iPad and have a terrible time with the touchpad.

These two paragraphs from his article really say it all.

This past week we remembered the events leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. One of the most remarkable events took place whilst Jesus was on the Cross. He asked His Father to forgive those who had done this to Him! Think about it: Hanging on the Cross, Jesus asked God to forgive those who killed him. What an example He leaves for us. "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

I am reminded of a Scripture passage from the Gospel of St. Matthew, "You have heard that it was said, 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist one who is evil ... love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:38-39, 44). Hard words to hear but it is good for us to be reminded of them from time to time.

Perhaps those who do not support the killing of another person are thinking in this direction...

Edited by zaichiki

You know, I've been thinking about the whole issue of celebrating a lot the past few days.

I'm so happy that OBL is neutralized. That's really it.

I don't care whether he's killed or arrested. I just want him not to be free.

I think that he deserved death, and I'm not sorry about it. I think that he admitted his guilt, publicly, essentially pleading guilty under law. And that just stops a trial, right, when the person freely pleads guilty.

I hated what I heard about the Statue of Liberty graphic. I'm glad I didn't see it.

I don't know whether we are safer or not, although it's certainly clear that in the long run losing this leader will result in better safety than if he were still around, stirring up his disgusting and despicable violence. So I'm not glad 'that we're more secure', particularly.

I didn't want him tortured. I don't want ANYONE tortured. Torture is despicable, and it infuriates me that the US does it now. In that respect we have lost our way, and it's not right.

But I wanted him gone, one way or another, for a long time. He deserved to be gone. He was warned. And now he is gone, and I am glad.

That's what I'm celebrating.

I think people are celebrating a military victory more than the death of an individual.

Would you not have celebrated VE day? Our soldiers didn't immediately leave Germany, quite the opposite. Do you think victory in Europe would have been possible without spilling blood?

I think most people can separate the two.

:iagree:

I have been saying this for two days! How is it different? We won a significant battle in a war we will continue to fight.

These two paragraphs from his article really say it all.

Unfortunately it doesn't say it all, as this person's first reaction was to "rejoice" (his words) at the news of bin Laden's death, and the more enlighten position only came after a night's reflection.

Better late than never, but one could hope that his ultimate position had been his first reaction given his avocation.

Bill

Well, you sort of took it out of context, but I'll stand by it. Yes, I do think my life is more worthwhile than that of a murderer of thousands. My bad.

Well, you sort of took it out of context,

I'm not sure how I took it out of context. I explained myself further in the context in which your quote was presented. But I do think it's a bad idea to divvy people up by assigning relative value to their lives. I think that opens the door for lots of nasty things we don't intend.

Tara

I think people are celebrating a military victory more than the death of an individual.

Would you not have celebrated VE day? Our soldiers didn't immediately leave Germany, quite the opposite. Do you think victory in Europe would have been possible without spilling blood?

I think most people can separate the two.

I wasn't alive then but there were people cheering and rejoicing when we dropped A-bomb on Japan too.

My father, who lost many (many, many) friends and squadron mates in the war with Japan was laying in bed in a military hospital cemented into a full body cast after miraculously surviving when the plane went down at sea while on a combat mission against the Japanese when he got the news we'd dropped the bomb.

He didn't "rejoice." He was saddened at great loss of life.

The other day I took him to the VA and he ran into another WWII vet, and after some conversation the man asked my father had killed anyone with the plane of his. My father said: I hope not! He meant it too, even though there is a very good chance it wasn't the case. But it does make me very grateful to have grown up with such a fine example of a fine human being as my father.

People don't always separate ending a war (and bringing peace) from rejoicing over the death of our enemies. I wish it were so, but it is not.

Bill

I wasn't alive then but there were people cheering and rejoicing when we dropped A-bomb on Japan too.

People don't always separate ending a war (and bringing peace) from rejoicing over the death of our enemies. I wish it were so, but it is not.

Bill

Were they celebrating the end or the deaths? I'm betting it was the former, mostly.

This made me tear up. Thank you for sharing. How does one process war, declarations of war, and self- preservation? Who can walk away fromt threats of annihilation or acts of war?

The world is one crazy place.

My father, who lost many (many, many) friends and squadron mates in the war with Japan was laying in bed in a military hospital cemented into a full body cast after miraculously surviving when the plane went down at sea while on a combat mission against the Japanese when he got the news we'd dropped the bomb.

The other day I took him to the VA and he ran into another WWII vet, and after some conversation the man asked my father had killed anyone with the plane of his. My father said: I hope not! He meant it too, even though there is a very good chance it wasn't the case. But it does make me very grateful to have grown up with such a fine example of a fine human being as my father.

Bill

I hope so. I really do.

Bill

I'm curious--have you read very much about the proposed invasion of Japan that this enabled us to sidestep? The fortification of Okinawa, the absolute give no ground moving in of troops there? The horrendous experiences of the Bataan death march, and the atrocities in China? The Pacific battles, island by island, the many many dead?

The people I have talked to hated the idea of the atomic bomb killing so many people, especially non-combatants, but were relieved beyond measure that we didn't have to invade Japan and lose so many more soldiers so horribly.

And the latest historical info supports that -- it was not just wartime propaganda.

Yes people did cheer.

Mothers and Fathers whose sons would not need to hit the beaches on Hokkaido certainly cheered. Parents of boys in POW camps who would now be coming home cheered....lots of people cheered. Ask your father.

As to bin laden......dam* right I rejoiced! He murdered thousands of my countrymen and I hope he is roasting in Hell. I make no apology for my opinion and the fact that you or others may sneer at me for it or pity my lack of an "enlightened position" worries me not a whit. Bin laden was a murderous and vile individual...I remember watching innocent Americans leaping from hundreds of feet up when given the choice of jumping to their death or being burned alive.....he did that and yes I celebrate his death.

God bless our boys who rid this world of him!

Lest we forget:

Edited by pqr

Of course there is I just don't think he acted in a HUMANE way, therefore I'm not too upset that he is dead. As stated, I believe that his death MAY make people safer. It is not a given, but there is that hope.

My statement had nothing to do with the fact that, of course, there is a difference between humans and animals.

I'm sorry if I insulted you! I should have said that many people believe that humans are the only beings on earth which are made in the image of God.

But nowhere in that Book does Jesus say that humans should do this to one another. He does not tell us to drown/kill those who cause others to sin.

didn't say that He did. I was just participating in the Scripture quoting!

Are you truly comparing the death of a an individual who planned and funded terrorism for decades with the deaths of 200,000 or so people, many of them innocent?

Military targets are military targets. Take the bombing of Dresden. It is a terrible thing to imagine. Death toll estimates in that case are also around 250,000 people.

How amazing is it that our forces and technology have allowed our military near surgical skill in taking out true military targets? No, I cannot be sad that such operations are now rare. I am glad that our technology and tactics allow big gains with relatively few such casualties.

There was no great loss of innocent life here, Bill.

And for those service members who don't have the luxury of being far above the earth? Those who watch men fall directly beneath their fire? Are they somehow stained or sullied? If they celebrate their victory, the fact that they captured/killed bad people ready to do harm to their brothers in arms or those of us on US soil? Then what?

Yes people did cheer.

Mothers and Fathers whose sons would not need to hit the beaches on Hokkaido certainly cheered. Parents of boys in POW camps who would now be coming home cheered....lots of people cheered. Ask your father.

I know very well how many friends and loved ones my father lost in the war. Most of his squadron mates perished in the war and countless other friends from his childhood were killed. He still cries over lost friends; I was raised knowing the realities of war.

Please stay out of future discussions of my father. Not for the first time have you done this, and I deeply resent it. I thank goodness I was raised by a man like him rather than a man filled with blood-lust and inflated self-importance.

Bill

I'm ashamed to admit it but I felt a little joy. The images of 9/11 will forever be seared upon my brain. He was an evil man who was plotting more evil and we stopped him. I care less that he is dead and more that he (personally) can no longer plan and try to carry out mass murder.

Three of my cousins enlisted after 9/11 and served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Looking at their facebook pages, I imagine that they are feeling pride and celebration at the mission accomplished. My cousins were truck drivers and engineers; they carried guns but to the best of my knowledge never fired them. In their eyes, May 1 was a huge victory--the main reason they enlisted and saw unspeakable horror. I refuse to condemn their jubilation.

And for those service members who don't have the luxury of being far above the earth? Those who watch men fall directly beneath their fire? Are they somehow stained or sullied? If they celebrate their victory, the fact that they captured/killed bad people ready to do harm to their brothers in arms or those of us on US soil? Then what?

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to put into words what his post made me feel and it was all coming out wrong. My dad (Vietnam), my fil (Vietnam and Korea) and both grandfathers (WWII) weren't soldiers watching from the sky. They were hurt - one of them badly for the rest of his life (and other family members never made it home). The choices they made and the feelings they felt don't make them bad. I'm so very proud of them.

I'm terribly disappointed in you Mrs Mungo. I would not think you would stoop to twisting words in this fashion. It is not like you.

Fighter pilots in the Pacific didn't have the luxury of being "above the war." The losses in my father's unit were absolutely staggering. He very nearly died himself. These words are uncalled for.

Bill

Bill, one of my grandfathers was a waist gunner in a Marauder flying missions over Germany. I was speaking only in reference to your perspective. I didn't twist your words. I asked you uncomfortable questions. You ignored them.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My brother, my sister's husband, and two cousins joined the military solely because of September 11, 2001, to be part of finding Osama bin Laden. Another brother's tour of duty was extended to include action in Iraq.

These beloved are not hootin' and hollerin' as if their favorite team just won the Super Bowl. They are grimly satisfied that a kind of justice has been done, and won't comment beyond that. They have seen too much death and suffering among their friends in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Our family will celebrate when these men and ALL of our American soldiers are home from Afghanistan and Iraq.

We don't party in the presence of the Grim Reaper. Every life is sacred, or there is no pro-life position.

According to our family's faith, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and if we ourselves escape the fate that we believe Osama bin Laden is receiving, it will be not on our own merit but because of the love and mercy of Jesus Christ.

My brother, my sister's husband, and two cousins joined the military solely because of September 11, 2001, to be part of finding Osama bin Laden. Another brother's tour of duty was extended to include action in Iraq.

These beloved are not hootin' and hollerin' as if their favorite team just won the Super Bowl. They are grimly satisfied that a kind of justice has been done, and won't comment beyond that. They have seen too much death and suffering among their friends in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I don't personally know anybody who was dancing in the street. Those I know are glad that a corner has been turned and vigilant because of what may come.

At the same time? I can understand the perspective of those who remember their cities under attack, the fear the felt and the happiness they must feel at a strategic victory. I cannot bring myself to judge them for it.

I'm curious--have you read very much about the proposed invasion of Japan that this enabled us to sidestep? The fortification of Okinawa, the absolute give no ground moving in of troops there? The horrendous experiences of the Bataan death march, and the atrocities in China? The Pacific battles, island by island, the many many dead?

Yep. And I'm of the opinion that the A-bomb attacks very likely saved lives. Does it mean I will "rejoice" that Japanese citizens were killed in these bombings? It does not.

I know my father believed at the time (and continues to believe) that a demonstration of the atomic bombs ferocious capacity on an unpopulated position would have had the same effect on the Japanese, who were on their last legs militarily. And that they at least deserved that chance before the bomb was used on a major city.

The people I have talked to hated the idea of the atomic bomb killing so many people, especially non-combatants, but were relieved beyond measure that we didn't have to invade Japan and lose so many more soldiers so horribly.

A person can be relieved (and feel celebratory) that a war was ended without "rejoicing" at the death of other human beings. These are not exclusive positions to take.

Bill

Bill, one of my grandfathers was a waist gunner in a Marauder flying missions over Germany. I was speaking only in reference to your perspective. I didn't twist your words. I asked you uncomfortable questions. You ignored them.

No you went way beyond that Mrs Mungo. I'm beyond disappointed with you right now.

Bill

A person can be relieved (and feel celebratory) that a war was ended without "rejoicing" at the death of other human beings. These are not exclusive positions to take.

And I think it is possible to celebrate this as a military and strategic victory without being accused of rejoicing in someone's death. My problem is that they seem to be getting lumped together in some of these posts.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to put into words what his post made me feel and it was all coming out wrong. My dad (Vietnam), my fil (Vietnam and Korea) and both grandfathers (WWII) weren't soldiers watching from the sky. They were hurt - one of them badly for the rest of his life (and other family members never made it home). The choices they made and the feelings they felt don't make them bad. I'm so very proud of them.

You have no clue what fighter pilots faced in World War II. The losses in his unit were staggering. My father himself was nearly killed, surviving almost by a miracle, and then he spent a year in a full body cast with a broken back. Your words are offensive beyond belief!

Bill

And I think it is possible to celebrate this as a military and strategic victory without being accused of rejoicing in someone's death. My problem is that they seem to be getting lumped together in some of these posts.

Not my me.

Bill

Bill

Pretty much my point. (And, I'm thinking, Mrs. Mungo's as well, although I hesitate to speak for someone else.)

You have no clue what fighter pilots faced in World War II. The losses in his unit were staggering. My father himself was nearly killed, surviving almost by a miracle, and then he spent a year in a full body cast with a broken back. Your words are offensive beyond belief!

Bill

I'm sorry but your post came across as sounding that your dad was more honorable than those who had different feelings. All of those men are entitled to whatever feelings they have/had but none should be touted as being better or braver. If today's servicemen/women want to shout their happiness in the street that this horrible man was found and dealt with I don't think we should judge them for their feelings. I'm really sorry if I offended.

Edited by Horton
Too much

Go back and read what you actually said.

No soldier that I know rejoices when people are killed. But they accept that burden as part of their duty. Understand, I have been to 3 funerals in the last two months. This has been a long weary *10 year war*. This is a victory I will take and be glad of it. I refuse to let anyone make me feel ashamed for it.

I think that if you are going to critique and judge our military's actions, you should at least set out a clear position of what option we should have taken. I know that is not as easy as throwing around one liners.

I think that if you are going to critique and judge my posts, you should at least have noticed that my one liners have not been criticisms of or judgments on the US military. In light of that, your request of me seems unnecessary, though I think it is less a request than an angry imperative couched in polite language. It would be rude of me to oblige in any case, seeing as I'm not American.

Rosie

I think that if you are going to critique and judge my posts, you should at least have noticed that my one liners have not been criticisms of or judgments on the US military. In light of that, your request of me seems unnecessary, though I think it is less a request than an angry imperative couched in polite language. It would be rude of me to oblige in any case, seeing as I'm not American.

Rosie

No angry imperative here. I was honestly curious of your opinion based on your last two posts, which seemed to dissapprove of our actions.

Lisa

Why is it that I feel as if the THOUSANDS of innocent lives (meaning that they did not CHOOSE as he did to live a murderous, despicable, cowardly life) that this man took from them is just being forgotten in the whole "I feel so sorry for him" attitude?:glare:

Must we choose one or the other? We can't be sad about those lives lost, but also feel that it's sad and regrettable that this particular life also ended as it did?

But I think you're conflating thinking something is regrettable and sad with feeling sorry for somebody.

I understand your views all the way till the bolded part and then you lose me. He died, knowing that death was coming, he died virtually alone and he died at the hands of men far better than himself, he may have died cowering behind his wife.

I think it is absolutely wonderful, he died in a manner that would have outraged and shamed him.....as I said absolutely wonderful.

What is sad about this?

I think it's always tragic when somebody dies a violent death. It's a very unfortunate situation. It's unfortunate for the person who died violently, but it's also unfortunate for the people who had to kill another human being; that is a burden nobody should have to bear, no matter how justified the death may seem or actually be.

No angry imperative here. I was honestly curious of your opinion based on your last two posts, which seemed to dissapprove of our actions.

My opinion is that wars are regrettable situations.

Trust me, if I was bashing the US military, Bill would certainly have kicked me because I just kicked him for bashing my head of state. I don't deserve snark for things I haven't said.

Rosie

My opinion is that wars are regrettable situations.

Trust me, if I was bashing the US military, Bill would certainly have kicked me because I just kicked him for bashing my head of state. I don't deserve snark for things I haven't said.

Rosie

Sorry I misread you, Rosie.

Lisa

I know very well how many friends and loved ones my father lost in the war. Most of his squadron mates perished in the war and countless other friends from his childhood were killed. He still cries over lost friends; I was raised knowing the realities of war.

Please stay out of future discussions of my father. Not for the first time have you done this, and I deeply resent it. I thank goodness I was raised by a man like him rather than a man filled with blood-lust and inflated self-importance.

Bill

I am not bringing your Father into discussion, you are the one who referenced him.

I have the utmost respect for all our servicemen and that certainly goes for anyone who fought in WWII. The point was that if you needed an answer to your question simply ask your Father I suspect he could give you the answer.

As to the feelings of those who fought, they are deeply held and and varied. Those who feel no remorse over killing an enemy are NOT to be reviled, that is an outrageous implication and you should be ashamed of it. I suspect posters such as Mungo who know many in the military or other posters who have served perhaps have a better perspective than you. Why should FLmom feel anything but pride for her family in the service they gave to our nation?

---------------------------------------------------------------

On an aside and as a hard core WWII and aviation buff, I would be interested in what your father flew?

Edited by pqr

Why does his death upset me?

Because an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Because we're all a lot less safe now.

Because he had a family and I feel for them.

bin Laden was a symbol. His death at the hands of the US military, followed by rejoicing in the streets that was broadcast all over the world, is going to inflame a lot more evildoers than it ever had the potential of putting out of business. Terrorist groups will spawn more heads as this one gets cut off.

I think it was a dumb move, strategically -- if one's intent were to actually stop terrorism.

It was revenge and retribution. It won't make the world safer, nor does it bring back those he killed.

Bill

Bill-The entire discussion that grew from this comment has allowed you to turn the discussion to an insult of the men and women in the military who, as Mrs. Mungo pointed out, "get their hands dirty." Their hands are dirty to protect and defend me and my (our) country and I am grateful for their service. They have no need to be ashamed of that service even if it means taking a life (or even many lives) in the course of their duty.

So that begs the question-was your father a search and rescue/medical pilot during the war? If not then his duty to his unit and country involved killing people. I'm grateful for the service of men like him. I hope he has no regrets about his service to his country.

I don't think those of us who sit on the sidelines and watch such events on the news are capable of truly putting ourselves in the shoes of those who are on the front lines. There is no reason they shouldn't feel pride in what they do-even when death is involved. It is the sort of half-hearted support of the military that has evolved since WWII which you are promoting that hurts the morale of those who serve, not the attitudes of those who choose to celebrate the successes of our service members.