Menu

Wow, tornado hit 3 minutes away!

we were in the basement with a tornado warning about an hour ago. Just watching the news and found out a tornado hit just minutes away. Literally, I could get to this area in 2 to 3 minutes. It also hit the St. Louis international airport. My dd work got hit (she was not there). There was quite a bit of damage to it, so not sure they will be open on Monday. Not good for her at all. Its just weird to think it was soooo close!

we were in the basement with a tornado warning about an hour ago. Just watching the news and found out a tornado hit just minutes away. Literally, I could get to this area in 2 to 3 minutes. It also hit the St. Louis international airport. My dd work got hit (she was not there). There was quite a bit of damage to it, so not sure they will be open on Monday. Not good for her at all. Its just weird to think it was soooo close!

Oh, wow, Teresa! Too close for comfort! The sirens went off twice here, but for very short times. In 13 years here, I don't remember the sirens ever being that short. We went to the basement once tonight when the sirens weren't wailing, but the storm was sounding REALLY ominous!

Several of my family members are at Busch Stadium right now. They spent quite a while in the concourse right after the first batter, then the game was resumed at 9:30. I hope they don't have trouble getting home--they'll have to stay off 70 and 270.

So glad to hear you are safe.

We had a tornado form over our house a few years ago, though it didn't touch down until a bit down the road. Very frightening, indeed.

Any idea how City Museum fared?

DS is asking if the bus and airplane are still in place.

(We visited last year and he fell in love with St. Louis, especially City Museum.)

So glad to hear you are safe.

We had a tornado form over our house a few years ago, though it didn't touch down until a bit down the road. Very frightening, indeed.

Any idea how City Museum fared?

DS is asking if the bus and airplane are still in place.

(We visited last year and he fell in love with St. Louis, especially City Museum.)

I think downtown was spared. If there was any damage, it would have likely been from hail, but I think the outdoor stuff at the City Museum always looks like it has hail damage! :001_smile:

We live a bit south and drove by where that "2nd tornado" should have passed through, but there was no damage. We got a LOT of rain, but very little wind or hail.

St. Louis has been hit hard with weather the past few months. The New Year's Eve tornado ripped the roof off a church and killed one woman in a car while we were eating lunch in a restaurant less than a mile away. One week earlier, we had a massive snowstorm that canceled all our Christmas Eve plans. I'm afraid to look at flood predictions.

As Chelle in MO said, we were hunkered down in the concourse at Busch for a couple hours. Once the game restarted, it was a great night. The rain delay combined with the post-game fireworks show meant that I didn't hit the bed until a little after 2:00 AM.

Where we were in the stadium, we weren't aware at all what was going on outside other than what were getting on the I-phones, etc. We heard tornado sirens a couple times, but I'm not sure how windy it got. It did rain quite a bit, but the grounds crew did a great job getting the field ready once it stopped.

My work is just across I-70 from the east end of the airport. I checked in with them a couple times during the night, and there was no damage there. It's probably less than a half mile straight line from our plant to the main terminal that was damaged so badly. It's amazing the difference such a short distance can make.

Glad you are all okay. I read the news reports last night and it does seem like the tornado hit a very specific area. I always think about the tornado/storm from a few years ago that left the area without power for 5-6 days and worry about that kind of thing when I see tornado reports in that area.

And the one that struck our home and ripped off a chimney---we were out eating dinner a mile away and hardly felt a thing.

I don't think I really knew what weather was untill I moved to STL! :tongue_smilie:

I'm from Ferguson and have several friends who still live there. Apparently the street I grew up on is one of the devastated, but really the whole city was smashed. I'm a little sad about it, but grateful there were no serious injuries or deaths.

Also, my father said the airport is closed due to extensive damage (sorry if someone already said that).