Menu

Admit it! Which living books do you hate?

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

We tried. Read it almost 3/4 of the way. It was boring and became too painful to continue :tongue_smilie:

We are currently reading Summer of the Monkeys - love it!

Nathan loves this. He loves all of the Oz, Thornton Burgess, Winne the Pooh, etc.

I, however, do not like reading them. I am glad he enjoys them, though. Audio books have been great because he gets to hear someone read them with passion.

Say it ain't so! All I have to do is threaten kid with NO ANDREW LANG tonight unless he's in his PJs 2 minutes ago, and he's off to his room like a shot.
If I were allowed only twelve books in the house for the first twelve years of a child's life, they would be these.

I totally agree with the OP on those two! The stand-out bad book of the year was Mary Poppins. I cringe when I think of it. Ugh. I think the lowest moment was when she took the children to a zoo where the humans were in cages and the animals were wandering around the park.

I hated it!

Charles Dickens. Please don't throw tomatoes at me. Anyone else doesn't like to read aloud his books?

I just can't get past the first chapter of his books. We tried A Christmas Carol and then A Tale of Two Cities because we were going to see the dramas played at theatres. I had to get the Great Classical Illustrated version of Tale of Two Cities to read aloud before we saw the show. I was glad we did read the simplified one in three days before the show; otherwise I would not have understood the show at all.

Totally with you on this!

I encountered most of these books in early Sonlight years:

The Little House on the Prairie Books

Five Little Pepper books

Milly-Molly-Mandy

In Grandma's Attic

Understood Betsy

Mountain Born

Ginger Pye

Strawberry Girl

The Little Princess

but also,

Dr. Doolittle

Wind in the Willows

To Kill a Mockingbird

Oh, I just remembered Maniac Magee. Egads!

Edited by Night Elf

Once when I taught 4th grade, I had to read out loud Treasure Island to my class. Hated it. ;) It was a painful ordeal that I do not wish to put my enemies thru. Those poor students... HAAAAAAAAAAA. :lol:

I loved reading treasure Island aloud to my class. But I taught it in 7th grade. I do think it is a little advanced for 4th grade. We had a ball making our own treasure maps, dressing up as pirates, and writing a story using pirate dialog.

Not sure this is a "living book" but I loathe The Giver!:ack2:

I couldn't get past the first couple chapters! Just awful! :ack2:

I encountered most of these books in early Sonlight years:

but also,

Dr. Doolittle

Wind in the Willows

To Kill a Mockingbird

Oh, I just remembered Maniac Magee. Egads!

I read To Kill A Mockingbird last year and I LOVED it!

Ginger Pye was drugery. . .but we did get through it. :tongue_smilie:

I have yet to meet a Burgess book I like, though at least they don't cause me to physically recoil as do the Raggedy Anne books.

Hilarious. (By the way, it's not Anne with an E for Raggedy Ann.) My mom gave me my old copy of Beloved Belindy. I am afraid to read it! The cover alone scares me (see the link), and I've hid it from my kids. They did sort of like the cookie land one, though. It was very "thrilling" for very young kids, with a goblin chasing them around, threatening to make them into soup.

I also received a copy of Mary Poppins, and gave it away. It was awful. My kids were ready to cry! I had seen the movie as a kid, but they had no idea about it. They asked me never to read it again.

I tried to read Ginger Pye and then sent it back to the library. I don't remember why!

Hilarious. (By the way, it's not Anne with an E for Raggedy Ann.)
Thank you.:001_smile:
My mom gave me my old copy of Beloved Belindy. I am afraid to read it! The cover alone scares me (see the link), and I've hid it from my kids.
Oh my... I don't know what to say.

I also received a copy of Mary Poppins, and gave it away. It was awful. My kids were ready to cry! I had seen the movie as a kid, but they had no idea about it. They asked me never to read it again.
I read them to the girls before showing the movie. The first one is OK, but IMHO the next two are quite fun.

I tried to read Ginger Pye and then sent it back to the library. I don't remember why!
Some books are best not read aloud. Or by adults at all. I do very much like the Moffat books, however.

If I were allowed only twelve books in the house for the first twelve years of a child's life, they would be these.

I have to say, Librivox is my savior when it comes to the fairy books. Those people never get tired. I've got a child who nearly has the red and blue books memorized from listening to those.

I've got about 1/2 the print ones but I'm starting to be a big fan of the Jacobs books. There's something about Tom Tit Tot that is about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

However, I find the edits to be ridiculous, like the ointment story, where the midwife is described instead as a nurse. I guess the slightest whiff of childbirth is just too much! Like the story in the Anne series where the daughter is sent off to a neighbor, and the baby is born during the night, and she's shocked to have a sibling in the morning!

I have never been able to get into Holling C Holling books.

:iagree:

My kids liked it, but I hated it--Little House in the Big Woods. It was so boring and descriptive and by the end I was just glad to be done with the book.

We LOVE the series on DVD, but the books, man oh man ... boring!

Some Usborne books drive me crazy, but I do love so many others.

In Grandma's Attic

Mountain Born

Strawberry Girl

Could not stand any of these. Hated them all.

I hate very long chapters when reading fiction and I hate cluttered cartoon-ish type illustrations like in some Usborne books.

Well.. I can't stand Peter Pan. The storyline doesn't bug me, but I just can't stand the book much. I know it's one of the CM books on many lists, but really.. not me.

I don't like it either. I greatly preferred Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's version of Peter Pan and Never Land, much to the dismay of PP purists.

The whole definition of a living book is one that captures the imagination, spurring more ideas. So one book can be living to one person while "dead" to another. The idea of calling a book "living" but then saying that you hate it or don't find it engaging doesn't quite fit, in my opinion. The book lists of "living books" are simply ones that engaged other people's imagination and came alive to them.

and some of those 'living' books for us have been .... those "dry boring" textbooks, lol.

I used to like them, and then I read that the poor homeschooled girl from Liberia was beaten to death over one, and I just*can't*look*anymore.

Wow. That's absolutely horrible. :(

It can't be just because of the book. Most likely such evil behavior would have resulted from pretty much anything.