Menu

----

Singapore has Challenging Word Problems workbooks, as well as Intensive Practice workbooks. The IP workbooks are truly intensive and advanced. That should give her something to chew on.;)

:iagree::iagree: These have slowed my mathy guy down a little, and helped him work laterally and more deeply through the material. We hit an IP problem in 3B yesterday that 8 adults couldn't solve LOL. That was fun.

:iagree::iagree: These have slowed my mathy guy down a little, and helped him work laterally and more deeply through the material. We hit an IP problem in 3B yesterday that 8 adults couldn't solve LOL. That was fun.

This makes me feel much better. I put away my son's IP workbook for 4A when I couldn't solve one of the problems.:lol:

Singapore has Challenging Word Problems workbooks, as well as Intensive Practice workbooks. The IP workbooks are truly intensive and advanced. That should give her something to chew on.;)
:iagree:

If she's still flying through, consider dropping the Singapore workbooks altogether and use the text and IP as your core. There are many and varied supplemental materials at a 6th grade level and higher. For K-6, not so much. That said, Primary Grade Challenge Math by Zaccaro is quite good.

Edited by nmoira

I think 7 is the right age to be doing (or done with) Singapore 2A+2B. As others have suggested, you can get the IP and CWP books to practise the concepts.

You can also print the MEP Year 2 practice books and let her work through them. MEP has a few things Singapore doesn't at this level: puzzles, inequalities and negative numbers.

HTH

Would it be wrong to just stop math for a little bit and maybe focus on some other subjects?

My 3rd grader is dappling a little with Saxon 6/5. My 5 yr old finished a 1st grade Harcourt math workbook in 3 days.. I told her just do what you know. Not thinking she would sit and do the first 79 pages in under an hour :lol: I think this may be an issue on the horizon for us too.

What is MEP? :confused:

It is the "Mathematics Enhancement Programme." it is a UK based math initiative based on a Hungarian math program. Like Singapore is based on a whole-parts model. The materials are particulary strong in building logic and reasoning skills and are fun in this way for students.

The materials can be downloaded for use my home educators without cost.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Bill

I probably wouldn't use TT with a math-gifted child. I'll back the suggestion for Singapore texts + Intensive Practice as her main program. Don't worry if she goes quickly -- some kids just can and do.

For supplements, look at Zaccaro's "Challenge Math". I'd start with Primary Grade Challenge Math (don't worry -- it requires ~3rd grade skills to start and each chapter has a total of four "levels" on the topic given, so even very math-savvy kids can be challenged), and then consider the regular Challenge Math after that. Penrose, the Mathematical Cat is a fun supplement, as is Number Devil -- which introduces concepts that kids might not otherwise meet for a number of years. (There's also a computer version of Number Devil, which is fun.)

The practice problem books available from Math Olympiad are *very* challenging and creative. Wonderful for math-oriented kids.

Some kids can just fly through elementary arithmetic programs and are ready for more complex work much sooner than many of their peers. That's okay. :) At *some* point she'll slow down a little and you'll be able to get by with just buying 1-2 years worth of math per year. It just may not be at the elementary or pre-algebra level.

TT is a little slower and easier than other programs. I wouldn't use it for a child who is accelerated in math.

Other people have made some great suggestions for going deeper into math concepts (IP, CWP, MEP). I've also heard of a Primary Math Challenge book that other parents use in the same way. Personally I think it's great to delve deeper but wouldn't keep giving "more of the same" to a child who has completely mastered something. If she's mastered it, and gone deeper into the concepts, then I wouldn't get hung up on age. The beauty of homeschooling is being able to tailor curriculum to our children's unique abilities and challenges.

I have a similar DD - she flew through Saxon K & 1 & started 2 in kindergarten, made me skip most of Saxon 3 because it was 'too easy!', and did Saxon 54 in second grade. Now she is in 5th grade and finishing Saxon Algebra 1/2 and has slowed down a little bit. Earlier this year she encountered some issues with the distance formula and some problems with adding like terms, and we were able to take some extra time and really focus on going over those over and over until she thoroughly understood them. Eventually, no matter how smart your kids are, they will run into things that challenge them - and if you let them fly through the stuff that is easy, you will feel SO much less panicked when you have to slow down for a bit to ensure understanding on something harder! You won't run out of math to do - you may have to switch or add curriculum - we are switching to AoPS next year because otherwise at this rate she will run out of Saxon in 9th grade - but as long as your focus is making sure the kids understand and retain everything, let them go at whatever pace works best.

I've tried multiple math programs to slow her down, and it doesn't work. Would you put an almost 8 year old into TT5? Add something to it? If so, what? Use a completely different program? I don't know what to do with this girl.

My 7-year-old did TT3, 4, half of 5 this year -- along with Singapore 2A/B, 3A/B along w/ IP & CWP and a handful of MM blue supplements.

She turned 8 last week. We are on lesson 80 of TT5, and mid-way through Singapore 4A.

My dd is not math-gifted. We just work diligently year-round with breaks. We took 2 weeks off for our east coast trip this month -- and it has taken her 2 days to get her math brain on again. (Me, too. :))

I've been going through the same thing with my ds. We've done exactly what everyone here has recommended. CWP is challenging for him. So is Zaccaro's PCM. I just wanted to plug Miquon. Miquon allows my ds to explore topics that he his other books haven't started like factoring. It is ds's favorite math and it is easy to tack on as a supplement because you can do it in any order you want.

Which one in 3B was it? I don't remember anything like that. Please let me know. Maybe I just gave up with the first try.

Thanks!

:iagree:the miquon books are nice to let them explore new topics with and have some fun pages in them too.

Very interested in learning more about the MEP program, thanks for the link/info Bill.

You're welcome. If you like Miquon you will likely enjoy MEP as well. The means are different but MEP (like Miquon) engages children in the "thinking process" and that helps make math "fun."

Bill

:iagree: This is what we did too. Then we let our ds move on to the next level of MM. At its low cost, MM is a great way to let them practice and get problems presented in a new way.

Another thought on SM levels 1 and 2 - these start out deceptively simple as concepts are introduced, but the program picks up the pace of complexity beginning in 3A, in my experience. At that point, my kids are slowed down naturally.

I also like to discuss with my boys the hows of their computations. We each share our own method of arriving at the answer. One of the strengths of SM is that different ways to arrive at the same, correct answer are taught. As a gray area, abstract thinker, I very much appreciate this.;) Most of the time, my kids think that math is fun. They are all using SM in some form. (The 5 year old preK'er is using Essentials.)

My 7-year-old did TT3, 4, half of 5 this year -- along with Singapore 2A/B, 3A/B along w/ IP & CWP and a handful of MM blue supplements.

She turned 8 last week. We are on lesson 80 of TT5, and mid-way through Singapore 4A.

My dd is not math-gifted. We just work diligently year-round with breaks. We took 2 weeks off for our east coast trip this month -- and it has taken her 2 days to get her math brain on again. (Me, too. :))

Seriously :lol: at the bolded. Unless she's just randomly writing numbers and getting most of the problems wrong, yes, she is gifted in math (even if it isn't her best or favorite subject).

The reason I'm planning to stick with TT for now is that dd thinks it's alot of fun..

TT is just easy compare to SM. DS is 5B on SM but he easily placed in Pre-algebra and in algebra placement , he meets the 1st section and got 7 on section 2.

That been said, TT is fun, He did some demo lesson for algebra and he liked the idea that it is on line and he can type in the answer. But I don't think I will use it as main course. I would still use SM and TT just for fun as supplement