Menu

27 Reasons NOT to Buy HOD...

silliness7

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what ... I just ran into the LHFHG sample I printed out and I'm tempted to spend my own money (since I overspent the curriculum budget back in February) to get LHFHG to try out with my daughter this coming year.

Gah! Even this thread hasn't stopped my madness! :willy_nilly:

:001_smile: How old is your DD? HOD is lovely and it's not madness to want to try it out! I adore it... I've dreamed of using HOD for more than a year now.... I completely understand you wanting to use it. Little Hearts for His Glory is a nice program...

I think HOD would totally streamline your day! I think you'd get more things covered and in less time, and the repetitive nature of things you're dealing with now will float away :) The key ideas are fantastic to have, and how so many wonderful things are covered and so simply, well...it's just wonderful. I don't feel locked into her plan whatsoever...I feel gently guided and like I wrote the plan myself! It just uses such wonderful activities and books and every single thing you do has such purpose, instead of doing a craft for the sake of saying you do crafts...it actually goes with the lesson, works on a skill, and reinforces one of the readings! HOD is truly flexible and the boards are actually very helpful and nice. The board rules simply state not promoting other curricula on the HOD boards since it is a board intended to help moms use HOD in their homes successfully, not find ways to change HOD. The only thing I changed is math...I use Math Mammoth. And I could definitely combine my kids in pairs but I've chosen to keep them separate. I love our one on one time that isn't focused on the 3R's...who wants their only time with mom to be math and grammar?! And I love to see my daughter owning her education with the independence she is gaining. I love HOD. I could go on and on about it. Oh, one last thing and then I must stop before I write a novel...i LOVE that when we get to the table, we all have fantastic things to share about what we're learning in our separate history and science, and everyone is so interested b/c it's all so new and exciting (not what they've ALL be listening to mom read about all day already), and when a kid is telling dad about it, no one else is interrupting to tell them they forgot something or taking over the story!

Ok, a little more... my oldest gets review when the youngers talk about their programs b/c she remembers doing it! And then she can strike up a conversation and reinforce it all for them both. And the Bible is appropriate for each child, on their level, which I adore. I get more done with them separate with fewer interruptions as well...one older can be with the baby (toddler now I suppose since he's 17months old!). Also, an older can do some of the readings and activities for the youngers which my kids seem to really enjoy. My DD really loves being a teacher to her brothers, and it helps her learn patience and understanding in a very tangible way. When I tried other "multi-level" programs it was really just like HOD...targets a specific range and you beef up for olders, ....but you also just let the littles pick up what they can and add a couple extras for them. So you are really having to tweak. you could do that with HOD too, only they actually have you place with the younger and beef up for the older using independent assignments after ALL the other stuff is done together! My little wouldn't have to think school is always over his head if we did decide to combine! I didn't like that for them when we did combine using MFW.

Ok, there's that novel... sorry! LOL:auto:

RATS!!! I had just about talked myself out of it. :glare:

But seriously, thank you for your post. HOD does sound like something I would really enjoy. I just don't want to invest so much in it and start using it only to be blindsided with a feature that I truly cannot live with. And when I start getting giddy about something I tend to put my hands over my ears and scream "lalalalala I can't hear you!" to potential problems. I have made my share of blunders. I have bought, sold, and re-bought the same curriculum, and even sold it again. OTOH, I have absolutely fallen in love with certain programs which I'm fairly certain I will use til graduation parts us. Sigh...

....going to flip through the catalog again. :auto:

#4 If you don't fully buy into the Charlotte Mason LA concepts of shorter lessons and somewhat delayed grammar, HOD may be a problem. HOD uses R&S, but on a delayed schedule. It is also light in the early years in most areas, but particularly so in LA and science, which may be a problem for more classically oriented users.

Yes, LA is scheduled for those who want it so, but it is also flexible. We do use Rod and Staff, but we keep going regardless of the schedule. This does not affect the rest of the program. (We are at the end of the Beyond Guide).

As for science, because HOD does not take all day, we feel free to supplement with whatever takes our fancy.

#5 If you like the CM concept of reading and discussing great books, you may be disappointed in HOD. HOD uses wonderful books, but conversations are very scheduled and directed. CM advocates letting the books speak for themselves. HOD pushes DITHOR, which does early and very scheduled literary analysis. HOD is also very scripted, which is nice for Moms who need the help, but it can get in the way of people looking for a true CM book program.

Hmm... DITHOR is there to be used, but I don't feel it is pushed upon us. In fact, I find it very flexible. We have used it on and off - one genre with DITHOR, the next without it. Also, DITHOR can be used with a variety of books, not just with one or two specific titles. As a Christian, I do appreciate the Character study and Biblical traits of DITHOR.

Another reason not using HOD:

If you want to deter your older children from participating in the Little Hands program together with your 3 year old.

RATS!!! I had just about talked myself out of it. :glare:

But seriously, thank you for your post. HOD does sound like something I would really enjoy. I just don't want to invest so much in it and start using it only to be blindsided with a feature that I truly cannot live with. And when I start getting giddy about something I tend to put my hands over my ears and scream "lalalalala I can't hear you!" to potential problems. I have made my share of blunders. I have bought, sold, and re-bought the same curriculum, and even sold it again. OTOH, I have absolutely fallen in love with certain programs which I'm fairly certain I will use til graduation parts us. Sigh...

....going to flip through the catalog again. :auto:

OP, if you think you would enjoy it, print out the samples and try some of it. Or commit to it with one child and see how you do. If you like it, you will REALLY like it.

I think you can see that it has its devoted fans. I have yet to see a thread asking for the negatives of HOD where they don't jump on and get defensive about it. HOD is a curriculum, not a religion! There are pros and cons, and the people it hasn't worked for have a right to their opinions and why it hasn't worked for them too. Carrie has her interpretation of CM and classical, and if it works for you, then great! :001_smile: It is really nice that it does.

So honestly, that is where it all falls with HOD. If you agree with Carrie and her filters, you will love HOD. All of HOD is filtered through what she thinks and believes in a way that other curriculums don't seem to be. Which, again, is lovely if they happen to also be your beliefs. If they aren't, it may make you crazy using it. And that is why I posted, because I really wish I had known that BEFORE I spent the money on something that was never going to work for my family.

Edited by Asenik

Wow, this thread was perfect timing! I've tried HOD in the past (we started Little Hearts twice, plus did about 10 units of Beyond). I did not like having to ignore some of the boxes; I LOVE the 2-page spread for each day, but since we were doing our own thing for some of the LA/math (or were on different pages for it), I had to do some flipping. I wouldn't allow myself to write all over the guide to make it "my own".

A year ago I bought Bigger, thinking I'd use it for the 2010-11 school year (K, 2nd, 3rd graders). My 3rd grader would have done great. My 2nd grader would have needed some hand-holding on the vocab and other activities. My K'er would have been just tagging along. I thought he needed his own program (so we started Little Hearts with him for the second time, but he still didn't enjoy it, and still insisted on being combined with his older siblings!). Before the school year even started I sold Bigger and went in a different direction.

Fast forward to the last several days:

For some reason I've been reading at the HOD boards again, and reading HOD users' blogs. I look at all the fun they are having, and reading about the dc's spiritual growth, and I think, "I want that!" I've looked at placement, and even loaded my cart several times (even though I have NO $ in my HS budget right now). This thread has helped me get over my latest HOD obsession. Last night I started typing up lesson plans for 2011-12, and that's helping me to get excited about what we are actually going to use. So, THANK YOU all for this thread!

To sum up my reasons for not using HOD:

1. I don't like not being able to check off each and every box each day in the guide (because of doing our own thing for some subjects).

2. DH says he wants the dc combined for content subjects at least until middle school.

3. HOD just gets WAY too expensive. I know you get a bunch of great books, but my budget isn't big enough to go that route.

Guest RecumbentHeart
:001_smile: How old is your DD? HOD is lovely and it's not madness to want to try it out! I adore it... I've dreamed of using HOD for more than a year now.... I completely understand you wanting to use it. Little Hearts for His Glory is a nice program...

She's a little young for it just yet but places in it skill-wise. I figure if we like it, she could always repeat it. :D

*sigh* I'm so bad. I'm currently doing both LBC and LCC with my oldest (ok, granted, neither of these are remotely time consuming and overlap quite conveniently .. but still, I manage to violate the spirit of both in order to enjoy elements of both). My intention is to move onto LCC Gr1 when we're done to get us through to the start of the next school year when I'm entertaining the idea of starting TOG1 and now I'm thinking of running LHFHG alongside LCC Gr1. That wouldn't be difficult either but if I start running TOG and HOD side by side please slap me!

So to summarize?

If I am not bothered by not getting things done and box checking and staying on schedule doesn't matter to me and my kids would place in one guide and I don't have to edit reformed doctrine too heavily I might like it? Whew.:lol: I think I just want the projects anyway. I will not do them if they aren't written down. My idea of a project is to tell them to go outside and play something.

OP, if you think you would enjoy it, print out the samples and try some of it. Or commit to it with one child and see how you do. If you like it, you will REALLY like it.

I think you can see that it has its devoted fans. I have yet to see a thread asking for the negatives of HOD where they don't jump on and get defensive about it. HOD is a curriculum, not a religion! There are pros and cons, and the people it hasn't worked for have a right to their opinions and why it hasn't worked for them too. Carrie has her interpretation of CM and classical, and if it works for you, then great! :001_smile: It is really nice that it does.

So honestly, that is where it all falls with HOD. If you agree with Carrie and her filters, you will love HOD. All of HOD is filtered through what she thinks and believes in a way that other curriculums don't seem to be. Which, again, is lovely if they happen to also be your beliefs. If they aren't, it may make you crazy using it. And that is why I posted, because I really wish I had known that BEFORE I spent the money on something that was never going to work for my family.

I really appreciated your thoughts on the subject. Everything has cons and I've been burned (by my own unmet expectations...not blaming curriculum builders here) before and I really am trying to gather as much info as I can. Hearing why it DOESN'T work for people is very helpful for me to keep my expectations within the realm of reality. :001_smile:

I probably do need to print out the first week's samples and give it a try and see how it goes since a vast majority of the books I can get at the library.

Wow, this thread was perfect timing! I've tried HOD in the past (we started Little Hearts twice, plus did about 10 units of Beyond). I did not like having to ignore some of the boxes; I LOVE the 2-page spread for each day, but since we were doing our own thing for some of the LA/math (or were on different pages for it), I had to do some flipping. I wouldn't allow myself to write all over the guide to make it "my own".

A year ago I bought Bigger, thinking I'd use it for the 2010-11 school year (K, 2nd, 3rd graders). My 3rd grader would have done great. My 2nd grader would have needed some hand-holding on the vocab and other activities. My K'er would have been just tagging along. I thought he needed his own program (so we started Little Hearts with him for the second time, but he still didn't enjoy it, and still insisted on being combined with his older siblings!). Before the school year even started I sold Bigger and went in a different direction.

Fast forward to the last several days:

For some reason I've been reading at the HOD boards again, and reading HOD users' blogs. I look at all the fun they are having, and reading about the dc's spiritual growth, and I think, "I want that!" I've looked at placement, and even loaded my cart several times (even though I have NO $ in my HS budget right now). This thread has helped me get over my latest HOD obsession. Last night I started typing up lesson plans for 2011-12, and that's helping me to get excited about what we are actually going to use. So, THANK YOU all for this thread!

To sum up my reasons for not using HOD:

1. I don't like not being able to check off each and every box each day in the guide (because of doing our own thing for some subjects).

2. DH says he wants the dc combined for content subjects at least until middle school.

3. HOD just gets WAY too expensive. I know you get a bunch of great books, but my budget isn't big enough to go that route.

I enjoyed your post and after reading it I was wondering if the actual physical layout of the book is a big draw for most people? Do the boxes, bam, bam, bam, you're done!

I already have developed my own lesson plan sheets that work for us. I have to divide up independent work and work with mom. We've been known to divide school up into those 2 big chunks. Lately I've taken the 2 chunks but made them smaller, more frequent and now I'm alternating the chunks because Spring Fever took hold and some of my students need more accountability. It seems to keep the day moving forward a little better too.

But in order for HOD to work here, especially with 4 guides (if you're counting the very 1st one) I would just take HOD's lesson plans and write them in my own lesson book divided out by independent work and "with mom" work. Of course, I reserve the right to leave something out and add something in (Latin, for sure) ...doing R&S at our own pace, substituting Saxon math. Is this the amount of tweaking that makes HOD lose it's beauty?

I enjoyed your post and after reading it I was wondering if the actual physical layout of the book is a big draw for most people? Do the boxes, bam, bam, bam, you're done!Yes, that was a big draw for me. In fact, since I'm not going to be using HOD, I'm working on a similar template for writing lesson plans myself. In reality, I will probably fill in some of the details after the fact instead of planning everything ahead. For example, for the math box, I will have space to write which lesson each dc did that day, since sometimes they work ahead and sometimes we get behind. I definitely want to use the box idea for writing out specific plans for our history and science so I have some accountability to get it done!

But in order for HOD to work here, especially with 4 guides (if you're counting the very 1st one) I would just take HOD's lesson plans and write them in my own lesson book divided out by independent work and "with mom" work. Of course, I reserve the right to leave something out and add something in (Latin, for sure) ...doing R&S at our own pace, substituting Saxon math. Is this the amount of tweaking that makes HOD lose it's beauty?

Yes, I think so. We were doing R&S at our own pace, using a different math, etc, and the guide seemed like it had "extra clutter".

Another reason not using HOD:

If you want to deter your older children from participating in the Little Hands program together with your 3 year old.

Oh, this made me laugh out loud! I can SO see my two big boys getting all into my little girl's Little Hands program! To them, it would be infinitely more interesting to watch her learn and work and play than to do whatever schoolwork they should be doing.

Thanks for the warning! :lol:

Jetta

If you agree with Carrie and her filters, you will love HOD. All of HOD is filtered through what she thinks and believes in a way that other curriculums don't seem to be. Which, again, is lovely if they happen to also be your beliefs. If they aren't, it may make you crazy using it. And that is why I posted, because I really wish I had known that BEFORE I spent the money on something that was never going to work for my family.

Can you give some examples of things that caught you off guard that you were not pleased with?

Wow, I am not a HOD groupie by any means but I have never seen this. One of my daughters uses their curriculum and we use it how we want to. I spoke to Carrie Austen & her sister last year and this year at the Cincy convention and found them very kind and very "do what is best for your family". I don't think this is their attitude at all.

:iagree:

"But in order for HOD to work here, especially with 4 guides (if you're counting the very 1st one) I would just take HOD's lesson plans and write them in my own lesson book divided out by independent work and "with mom" work. Of course, I reserve the right to leave something out and add something in (Latin, for sure) ...doing R&S at our own pace, substituting Saxon math. Is this the amount of tweaking that makes HOD lose it's beauty?"

That depends on what it is you like about the program. I do what you described with my HOD programs since I have to schedule them into my day, move things around, etc. since I am schooling six dc. I don't even consider this tweaking. The boxes are just a visual breakup and grouping of each subject. For me I honestly don't care if it's set up this way or not, if HOD was set up in the more common weekly grid I would still use it. I like HOD for many other reasons, primarily the book choices and methods used to interact with the books. :) So I guess just ask yourself how much the actual materials and methods appeal to you vs. the way it is laid out.

MP

Katrina, good to know you are enjoying Preparing.

I was wondering about story time. Week 1 requires extracts from the bible to be read, is this repeated throughout the guide or are the books scheduled?

Also have you found that time periods are gone through too quickly or do you schedule other readings? Do you read the whole of CHOTW during the year? I have ordered Grandpa's box from amazon to see whether I like the book as it seems to be an important part of the year!

Thanks

Stephanie

#3 If you are a non-evangelical or Reformed protestant Christian or someone looking for a secular program' date=' HOD may not be for you. It is VERY difficult to secularize or even just remove the parts that are a problem without dismantling the whole program and starting over.

#4 If you don't fully buy into the Charlotte Mason LA concepts of shorter lessons and somewhat delayed grammar, HOD may be a problem. HOD uses R&S, but on a delayed schedule. It is also light in the early years in most areas, but particularly so in LA and science, which may be a problem for more classically oriented users.

#5 If you like the CM concept of reading and discussing great books, you may be disappointed in HOD. HOD uses wonderful books, but conversations are very scheduled and directed. CM advocates letting the books speak for themselves. HOD pushes DITHOR, which does early and very scheduled literary analysis. HOD is also very scripted, which is nice for Moms who need the help, but it can get in the way of people looking for a true CM book program.

JMO. I bought a level and just couldn't make it work for the combining issue and my reasons listed above. I think HOD works well IF you are their kind of Christian, IF you want something really scheduled and scripted and IF you can relax into the CM way of doing things in the early grades. I could have handled my #4, but the others pushed me over the edge. Which is a shame, because I loved the idea of it.[/quote']

HOD is a Christian curriculum and is evident in every lesson. HOD shows God's hand in every aspect of life, from History to Science and Reading in Dithor if you use it. So having it used secularily probably defeats the purpose of using HOD to begin with.

I'd have to disagree that the conversations are scheduled and directed at least in this context. I think they are a tool for parents; a how to to discuss what was read. There's so much narration that I'd say that it's not possible that they are scheduled and directed in this context. It sort of denotes strictness, which HOD is not. If you use Dithor there's a huge amount of conversation in comparing Godly behavior of book characters to what should or should not be done. HOD does do some modeling in history, none really in science, but most of the modeling is done for the sake of getting kids learning to narrate. For kids that need examples, they are given as starters. An example of how to begin. You may use them or not. It's up to you. But if you don't actually tell kids how to do things, and let them guess, then it could be quite a battle in the long run. Andrew Pudewa had a great seminar on telling kids exactly what you're looking for. I think HOD does this well.

You'll also find that there are no "answers" as HOD is extremely high on how to think, and not necessarily having a textbook answer. It's about how you got to your answer and what made you think so and the entire thinking process. http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8826&p=64679&hilit=answers#p64679

I also would beg to differ on delayed grammar. Before starting R&S 2, HOD introduces grammar...nouns, verbs, writing all on their own, pre R&S 2. R&S is very advanced and if you use R&S through their 8th grade, you'll find your child at college level.

I also wouldn't say HOD "pushes" Dithor. In fact it states you can use Dithor "or your own program" even in grammar and math! It gives you the option of using Dithor. I think that's a big difference than "pushing" it.

I do agree Science is light, but as you increase in grade level, I think it makes up for lost time, using Tiner's materials and Apologia materials in later elementary.

I know some think that HOD users seem to come to the rescue of HOD. But I have to admit, when some reviews are put into this context, it does make us come running.

While I don't want to nor intend to start anything here, I think this is a prime example of a clear disdain for HOD, just using the verbage and caps that were used. However I think we all need to be discerning in how we use reviews for ourselves and write reviews.

Also HOD is for families however, I believe better suited for closer age levels, which is it's intended purpose. Something like MFW is better suited for families that have all age levels...wider age gaps.

Edited by alilac

Katrina, good to know you are enjoying Preparing.

I was wondering about story time. Week 1 requires extracts from the bible to be read, is this repeated throughout the guide or are the books scheduled?

Also have you found that time periods are gone through too quickly or do you schedule other readings? Do you read the whole of CHOTW during the year? I have ordered Grandpa's box from amazon to see whether I like the book as it seems to be an important part of the year!

Thanks

Stephanie

Stephanie,

We are not using Preparing yet..... I bought the guide. My son uses it for studied dictation. :001_smile:

So, I can't speak from experience regarding the time periods and the pace. I hear nothing but wonderful reviews of Preparing and that Grandpa's Box is a favorite!

I'll have some time later today to check on the Storytime plans and how much of CHOW is read....perhaps another HOD Mom can chime in in the meantime. I need to teach math! :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart

I know some think that HOD users seem to come to the rescue of HOD. But I have to admit, when some reviews are put into this context, it does make us come running.

While I don't want to nor intend to start anything here, I think this is a prime example of a clear disdain for HOD, just using the verbage and caps that were used. However I think we all need to be discerning in how we use reviews for ourselves and write reviews.

What context and what caps?

It is very helpful for HOD users to clarify misrepresentations but I'm not so sure this isn't just in turn misrepresenting others.

Also HOD is for families however, I believe better suited for closer age levels, which is it's intended purpose. Something like MFW is better suited for families that have all age levels...wider age gaps.

I knew I should have just stayed out of it. And I normally do because there is no way to disagree with HOD or any part of it without being picked apart or accused of having negative motivations for it. How is anyone who might just happen to have the same issues going to make an informed choice here if this is the reaction someone gets for sharing?

You are free to like it, and I am free not to. Free world and all. But why exactly are you calling me on the carpet for posting possible problems on a thread that asked for them? If I went on a thread about how excited someone was to be using it and tried to dissuade them, then maybe this would be justified.

Is there really no way to do that without HOD users crawling out of the woodwork to admonish? Why do you feel like you have to call into question anybody else's opinion? Maybe you need to read the board rules about everyone being entitled to an opinion and no curriculum working for everyone.

ETA: And for those who asked, this is exactly the problem people have with the HOD board. Just saying.

Edited by Asenik

You are free to like it, and I am free not to. Free world and all. But why exactly are you calling me on the carpet for posting possible problems on a thread that asked for them? If I went on a thread about how excited someone was to be using it and tried to dissuade them, then maybe this would be justified.

Is there really no way to do that without HOD users crawling out of the woodwork to admonish? Why do you feel like you have to call into question anybody else's opinion? Maybe you need to read the board rules about everyone being entitled to an opinion and no curriculum working for everyone.

When I saw this thread I was determined to keep myself from posting why I stopped using hod because every single time post of my issues....well...this happens. I knew it:tongue_smilie:

When I saw this thread I was determined to keep myself from posting why I stopped using hod because every single time post of my issues....well...this happens. I knew it:tongue_smilie:

I am very genuinely interested to hear what didn't work for you, in case it won't work for me too. If you don't want to jump in here can you link a previous thread or PM me?

Thanks!

I am very genuinely interested to hear what didn't work for you, in case it won't work for me too. If you don't want to jump in here can you link a previous thread or PM me?

Thanks!

And PM me too, please. I would like to hear what you have to say. :)

And PM me too, please. I would like to hear what you have to say. :)

Ditto! Pretty please. I am in the midst of my planning for the coming year which we hope to start June/July. I appreciate knowing specifically what DIDN'T work even more so than what did.

If you use it and quit, you need to be disregarded -- danger, disgruntled former user! If you criticize it and didn't use it, well, then you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't use it. You can't win. Better to be silent.

FTR, I wanted to like HOD. I tried to like it. There are some really appealing aspects of it. and just because I couldn't make it work doesn't mean other people will have the same issue. Nothing works for everyone.

I knew I should have just stayed out of it. And I normally do because there is no way to disagree with HOD or any part of it without being picked apart or accused of having negative motivations for it. How is anyone who might just happen to have the same issues going to make an informed choice here if this is the reaction someone gets for sharing?

ETA: And for those who asked, this is exactly the problem people have with the HOD board. Just saying.

I think all are free to disagree with any part of any curriculums, but sometimes it's just the way things are put, like what's mentioned above. It wouldn't matter if it was HOD or MFW or SL or TOG or any of the sort.

There are aspects I don't care for of HOD either.

I didn't "question" anyone's opinion, but just explained moreso how HOD works. I didn't call anyone on the carpet as the name was removed if you look at the quote, but would have to read most of the thread to see who wrote it.

HOD board is for the purpose of helping those using it. Most topics if you go into detail on using other subjects are deleted, because the boards' purpose is to help those using HOD, not to get excited about using something else. That's what more general boards are for. Free to like it or not. Many don't it's okay. I see HOD's point. On the other hand those topics are always talked about on their yahoo site. But to make a blanket statement about HOD's board and the people on it? The whole review and this just seems so volatile. Almost like you were wronged in some way. Perhaps I misread it. My apologies.

As far as the person who asked what context and what caps... You'd have to read the thread. I had specifically erased the person so the thread would be read in it's entirety. :)

:iagree: Look at the box at the top of the page-

Parents' Forum K-8 Curriculum Board For questions about specific curricula and their relationship to classical education. Express yourself politely! And remember that no single program can possibly meet the needs of every home schooler; let's benefit from the variety available. NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

If you use it and quit, you need to be disregarded -- danger, disgruntled former user! If you criticize it and didn't use it, well, then you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't use it. You can't win. Better to be silent.

FTR, I wanted to like HOD. I tried to like it. There are some really appealing aspects of it. and just because I couldn't make it work doesn't mean other people will have the same issue. Nothing works for everyone.

And FWIW I am a former user, just not disgruntled. Peace.

Hi,

When my dd was 4.. I tried to use LHTH and I really gave it a good try. My dd was "ok" with the fingerplays but not very excited to use it. This was not really a big deal but...my dd takes everything to heart and pays close attention to details. I have to be very careful what I use. At the time I was taking care of my elderly gramdmother who couldn't stay alone. We followed the manual(which I think is very easy to use) and read all of the daily bible readings. I noticed behavior problems begin to escalate... the last day I used it my dd got really mad at my grandmother and she yelled out that she would kill grandma just like god did in her school bible! I tried to have a "springboard" conversation with her and it didn't work at all. In her mind we are supposed to mimic Gods behavior and she was just following the lord. I have heard several people say similar things about it. There is one activity in the same manual which has the child punch or hit a stuffed animal. Maybe most children don't respond this way but that behavior needed to stop and it did when we switched to something else. I have used other bible curriculum and never had problems. Some childrens bibles are more "sugar coated" than others. In my case...I needed sugar coated.

Later....I tried to use Beyond(I think that is what is was called) Well...I like that bible is integrated but for us it was a bit too much. For history(History For Little Pilgrims) we would read one bible story and do the activities....then move on to science(My Fathers World I think it was) which was the exact same bible story read again followed by the activity....then bible time that day was the exact same bible story. My dd would say, "Mom..Why are we reading the same story over and over?" I used it for several weeks but.......enough was enough. Someone told me that it eventually changed to be a bit different for each subject but by that time we had had enough. Bored to tears!

My reasons for not using it may be reasons others choose to purchase it and love it dearly...

I could not get it to work for us. I wish it would have because it was very easy to follow and well layed out. I have not visited the forum in several years but I do know that they want you to follow the curriculum exactly as they have it layed out. I moved on.... and can ask any question I want on this forum with no trouble. I offer my experience with this curriculum with an honest and open heart as I am sure anyone looking at curriculum wants.

HTH,

Penny

Hi,

When my dd was 4.. I tried to use LHTH and I really gave it a good try. My dd was "ok" with the fingerplays but not very excited to use it. This was not really a big deal but...my dd takes everything to heart and pays close attention to details. I have to be very careful what I use. At the time I was taking care of my elderly gramdmother who couldn't stay alone. We followed the manual(which I think is very easy to use) and read all of the daily bible readings. I noticed behavior problems begin to escalate... the last day I used it my dd got really mad at my grandmother and she yelled out that she would kill grandma just like god did in her school bible! I tried to have a "springboard" conversation with her and it didn't work at all. In her mind we are supposed to mimic Gods behavior and she was just following the lord. I have heard several people say similar things about it. There is one activity in the same manual which has the child punch or hit a stuffed animal. Maybe most children don't respond this way but that behavior needed to stop and it did when we switched to something else. I have used other bible curriculum and never had problems. Some childrens bibles are more "sugar coated" than others. In my case...I needed sugar coated.

Later....I tried to use Beyond(I think that is what is was called) Well...I like that bible is integrated but for us it was a bit too much. For history(History For Little Pilgrims) we would read one bible story and do the activities....then move on to science(My Fathers World I think it was) which was the exact same bible story read again followed by the activity....then bible time that day was the exact same bible story. My dd would say, "Mom..Why are we reading the same story over and over?" I used it for several weeks but.......enough was enough. Someone told me that it eventually changed to be a bit different for each subject but by that time we had had enough. Bored to tears!

My reasons for not using it may be reasons others choose to purchase it and love it dearly...

I could not get it to work for us. I wish it would have because it was very easy to follow and well layed out. I have not visited the forum in several years but I do know that they want you to follow the curriculum exactly as they have it layed out. I moved on.... and can ask any question I want on this forum with no trouble. I offer my experience with this curriculum with an honest and open heart as I am sure anyone looking at curriculum wants.

HTH,

Penny

:grouphug: Thank you!! I appreciate hearing your experience. I'm planning on using LHTH with my 4yo regardless of what I do with my older dc. I noticed that there were 2 Bible choices with that one. Do you remember which you used? Thanks again!

Some childrens bibles are more "sugar coated" than others. In my case...I needed sugar coated.

We use a bible that came with our curriculum, NIrV, for young readers, and I absolutely love it! I love to listen to my kiddos read from it, and recently I've been using it for my personal bible reading! It's cool to read the Bible in a simplistic refreshing way!:001_smile:

There is one activity in the same manual which has the child punch or hit a stuffed animal.

I think it is important to keep things in context regarding the purpose of a particular lesson so that others don't make a judgement based on partial-information. That's why I want to share the complete (mostly) LHTH lesson that was referred to so that it can be shown in the appropriate context.

Creation and the Fall (Unit)

Bible Activity

(Cain and Abel)

Have students make mad faces, hit their stuffed animals, throw them on the ground, and walk away. Have students pick up their animals and say instead, Please don't do that! It makes me upset! Let's get along.

Tell the students to shake hands with their stuffed animals and twirl around.

Ask, which of these ways does God want us to act when we are mad?

I think it is important to keep things in context regarding the purpose of a particular lesson so that others don't make a judgement based on partial-information. That's why I want to share the complete (mostly) LHTH lesson that was referred to so that it can be shown in the appropriate context.

Yes..Thank You. It has been several years since I used it and could not remember the details.

Penny

I noticed that there were 2 Bible choices with that one. Do you remember which you used? Thanks again!

Hi,

The bible that I used was the Family Time Bible Gold Edition I think but the cover on this one is different than the one I had. It may have been revised.

HTH,

Penny

Guest RecumbentHeart

Bible Activity

(Cain and Abel)

Have students make mad faces, hit their stuffed animals, throw them on the ground, and walk away. Have students pick up their animals and say instead, Please don't do that! It makes me upset! Let's get along.

We get enough opportunity for these conversations in our day as it is.

Hi,

HTH,

Penny

I have read the bolded part in a few places...

Would it work to read the story just once and then do the activities and if it is a repeat to read it again, just skip it or will I then be doing only one reading and one activity and then nothing else because it is all repeat?? I havent rec'vd my guides yet so I dont know. Just trying to get an idea. Maybe keep a few extra books and activities on hand to fill in if this happens?

We have used LHTH, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger and my oldest daughter started Preparing this year...for her...she HATED being "excluded" from what the other kids were doing as Preparing starts to lead them to independent work...I like HOD...but it isn't what I want for my family...I had 3 school aged kids this year...three different history periods...my head was spinning and I didn't feel like I had time to get deeper in something when there was interest...it works or it doesn't...I'm glad there is so much out there to choose from!

I just want to add that this forum is great! I can come here and say that FLL/OPGTTR/WWE is a total flop for us and not get slammed. This is what I wanted in a homeschool board.

Thanks for hearing my cheezzeeeness.

Penny

That is something that I am VERY grateful for here!

Thank you SWB! :grouphug:

I knew I should have just stayed out of it. And I normally do because there is no way to disagree with HOD or any part of it without being picked apart or accused of having negative motivations for it. How is anyone who might just happen to have the same issues going to make an informed choice here if this is the reaction. someone gets for sharing?

:iagree: This is exactly the kind of attitude that turned me off this curricula. You simply cannot say you don't like it for any reason or the authors/Hoddites start to crawl out of the nest and swarm. No thanks.

Bible Activity

(Cain and Abel)

See, I would never do this with my kids. I say "don't hit. Love your brother. Be ye kind...enough times during the day. I would never have them compare on a stuffed animal...or eachother for that matter. Crummy lesson...but doesn't mean the entire program is crummy. This is where discernment comes in and says "You are the teacher. Feel free to toss lesson."

Oh, I don't use HOD...I hate gridded plans in general...they drive me bonkers.

Faithe